Like Tree9836Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Don't know how much your looking to spend, but this is what I have used for probably 2 years. works great and very durable (survived a year in Afghanistan).

http://www.weightvest.com/100-lb-wei...-vmax-training
    Is the shipping brutal?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Is the shipping brutal?
    free shipping within the US and APOs
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good Q. I am only running 3 days a week right now because I am devoting 2 days to the stairmill. I take 2 days off during the week just to rest up. I could use an 8th day in the week for more training.
    Lol i was thinking how do you run 5 days/wk with heavy stairmill work, im usually doing 2 stairmill days 3-4 running days
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Vest will probably cost you but its an investment. I got my 86lb one(i only have 50lb in it right now lol: cost $165 shipped on ebay brand new. You definitely need access to stairs and a vest in this process

Forum Member

Anybody know how often pull-ups/chin-ups are done in the academy? That's always been a strong point for me and was wondering if they are even done that frequently since I hear a lot about pushups.
    You and I both, but sorry to say that they do very little pull ups from what I hear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    hey guys, on a different note, does anyone know about the fdny sports teams? like baseball, hockey, football etc? as a proby, can one tryout for the teams, or does one have to finish the proby period?
    Wow....well several pages that were ALMOST completely bull***** free.....

Anyway, to address the poster above; you're not going to play for one of the departments organized sports teams while you're a proby. There aren't necessarily any rules about this, but it's just not something that's done too frequently and it's not a good idea.

If you eventually make it to the firehouse, you'll find that probation is tough and tiring. You have a lot on your plate as far as getting the schedule down and learning the ropes in your company. Adding a sport to that is no good. Additionally, if you are injured playing football, hockey, ect, your probation will be extended for the duration equal to what you spent on medical leave. Worse, if you injure yourself in such a manor as to cause concern for your future ability as a firefighter, you will be terminated. You have NO PROTECTIONS. You are on probation and they need no reason to dismiss you.

All that being said, I like the attitude of wanting to get involved. I've said it many times, this is a lifestyle, not a job. You don't leave work at the office, so to speak. There are many groups, sports and social activities to get involved in and you should take advantage of as many as you can. There are good odds your firehouse will have a softball team, hockey team, ect. PLAY! The more guys see you, the better they'll get to know you and the faster you'll become one of the brothers.........because that's were you want to be.

I'll steal this line, "you're on the payroll, you're not in the brotherhood. You're not in the brotherhood until the brothers in the firehouse say you are".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I made a copy of mine so if I mess anything up I can just redo it rather than questions coming up later about what I crossed out, etc.
    It would be awesome if you could somehow attach the blank copy that you made on this forum. I made a couple of mistakes myself and would like to get another copy. I even called CID for a new copy and they just told me to cross it out.

Forum Member

If you're looking for a weight vest you have to go to amazon. This is the exact one I have (was 120 w/ shipping). The vest is very durable. My 3 cats use it to dull there nails and haven't affected it at all(had it about a year now)
    http://www.amazon.com/ZFOsports%C2%A...ds=weight+vest

They also have a 80lb vest. Which I also linked for everyone
    http://www.amazon.com/ZFOsports%C2%A...ds=weight+vest
    Last edited by coldblood92; 02-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    It would be awesome if you could somehow attach the blank copy that you made on this forum. I made a couple of mistakes myself and would like to get another copy. I even called CID for a new copy and they just told me to cross it out.
    I didn't scan it, just copied it, but if you want I can find time in the next day or so to scan it for you if you really want. I don't think I can upload it to the forum or anywhere that I can link, but PM me your address and I'll send a PDF to you (and anyone else who needs one).
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

My two cents on weighted vests. I love this vest, got it on Amazon, the weight is adjustable up to 60 lbs (comes with 50), doesn't restrict movement when working out, and the vest itself is machine washable which helps when its all ratty and nasty from sweating in it for weeks…

http://www.amazon.com/MIR®-50LBS-SHO...+weighted+vest
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I didn't scan it, just copied it, but if you want I can find time in the next day or so to scan it for you if you really want. I don't think I can upload it to the forum or anywhere that I can link, but PM me your address and I'll send a PDF to you (and anyone else who needs one).
    Heck yes man. Thanks in advance. Take as much time as you need. I'm sure others on this forum might find this helpful as well. I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.

Also, I've seen a lot of people arguing about different stuff. I'm usually the kind of person that just sits back, watch and reserve my opinion if I think its going to offend anyone. Just wanted to say thank you to those taking the time to help others on this forum and keeping it an informative one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Like most of us on this job, he's probably been to enough fire in a 5 year period that he can't remember them all. This is an internet forum and an anonymous one, which give mu h courage. Never have I heard aomeone so certain to achieve something they know so little about. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth so that you can listen twice as much as yoh speak. You would be well suited to an attitude adjustment.

On that subject, sadly this forum has degenerated into something that I find to be an embarrasment to this great organization. Too bad, I'm optimistic for most of you. All I get when I come here is frustration. No more for me...
    It would be a shame to lose a valuable source of information over stupidity and we appreciate your insight... don't feed the trolls

Forum Member

Anyone have grundle chaffing while running? Serious question haha. Couldn't finish my run tonight it was misery.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Yes I do, but a lot also depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I know I'm sluggish and have no energy I may just do one that given day. Though lately I have been doing the step mill without my vest on. The gym has still been pretty crowded since the New Year so in the time it takes me to go back to my locker and get my vest on someone else has gotten on the step mill. I really want to get back to doing it with my vest on though. To make up for the lack of vest I usually do it for 80 steps per minute. Speaking of vest, does anyone know any stores in Queens or Nassau that sell vest ? The vest I have been using someone gave to me a while ago and I found out it's only 40 LBS and want to upgrade to a 60 pound vest. And the decent value ones I see online lose the decent value when you factor in shipping.
    This might sound stupid or crazy but reading from a comment above ... The v max is two 50 lbs vest put into one .... I actually got the 40 lbs that they sell in dicks and add another 40 lbs vest on top of that ... My friend bought a vest together with me but he not interested in the job no more and let me have his vest so now I have 2 40 lbs vest and just play with the little 1 pounds weights that's comes with it to adjust it to my preference

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Yes I do, but a lot also depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I know I'm sluggish and have no energy I may just do one that given day. Though lately I have been doing the step mill without my vest on. The gym has still been pretty crowded since the New Year so in the time it takes me to go back to my locker and get my vest on someone else has gotten on the step mill. I really want to get back to doing it with my vest on though. To make up for the lack of vest I usually do it for 80 steps per minute. Speaking of vest, does anyone know any stores in Queens or Nassau that sell vest ? The vest I have been using someone gave to me a while ago and I found out it's only 40 LBS and want to upgrade to a 60 pound vest. And the decent value ones I see online lose the decent value when you factor in shipping.
    Check out if NY barbells distributor in Long island has anything like that. Rogue fitness website probably has one and they aren't too bad with shipping

http://www.roguefitness.com/catalogs...=Weighted+vest
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Anyone have grundle chaffing while running? Serious question haha. Couldn't finish my run tonight it was misery.
    I have bigger thighs, so yes, I get crotch rot some times from thighs rubbing together on the distance runs.

A couple things:

1. Invest in spandex bike shorts..or if you wanna be really high speed get those Nike/under armour under boxer brief sweat wicking things.. Basically anything that covers the thighs down to your knees..

2. I used to use my wife's body butter from bath and body works.. After a shower.. Apply some and sleep commando, not necessarily naked but allow for some air flow.. Will work wonders..

3. Shower regularly.. Goes without saying.

4. If you chafe..lay off for a day or 2. The only thing worse then applying soap and hot water to a chafed area is applying soap and Hott water to a really chafed area.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

I heard compression shorts are good for those. I guess they would have to be a really strong pair. I have chubb rubb.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Any body who knows where the squat rack is Chaffes on long runs.. It happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I heard compression shorts are good for those. I guess they would have to be a really strong pair. I have chubb rubb.
    Compression shorts do help !! They got a spray for that too!!! To help relief it

Forum Member

Just wearing boxer briefs does it for me.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Compression shorts and baby powder worked wonders for me
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Tell me more about this race. Will I get lumped up and bruised? I want that. I need to feel some physical pain right now after finding out my ex long term girl is seeing someone new.

I need to taste blood.
    Sorry for the delay but since the torture that was 6019 I've kinda trained myself to not be glued to this forum. Plus all the infighting and mindless bickering has made it much easier to not be rushing to constantly be refreshing the page.

As for the race you will ,without a doubt, be lumped up and bruised and cut and muddied up but it will be some of the most fun you've had in your life. The sprints top out at about 4 miles and the super at about 9. There's also a beast which is 12+ miles but I just can't swing the cash to travel for that one. If you like to run and you've raced before this is great to change it up and give a new perspective on running. People are great, girls are beautiful and all in all it's a great time. Plus you get a free beer at the end of the race lol. Check out www.spartanrace.com for more info. If you decide to do any let me know. I'll gladly run with anyone especially someone in the same boat as me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    I live 2 blocks from the track. I been sticking to the gym to avoid the cold. Maybe we could go for a couple of runs once it warms up c
    Yea most definitely. I usually run from my place by Crosby Ave to around city island or orchard beach in the summer. I haven't done it in awhile because of an issue that has since been resolved but the beach runs are torture. Another plus to running the beach is the fact that I can wear the vest since the sand absorbs the majority of impact.

Anyway, I'm always down for a run. Like I said before I'm not breaking any records but I always prefer training with someone. Whenever you're ready just send me a pm and I'll send you my number to set it up.

Forum Member

Just registered for the April Spartan Sprint Race at Citi. Anyone else doing it? It'll probably be the first time I'm going to Citi Field excited about something since it opened -_-.
    I'll be there as well. Also my first visit to Citi Field.
    dawk34 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I'll be there as well. Also my first visit to Citi Field.
    I am signed up for this as well. Looking forward to it. If it is anything like Fenway it is going to be a blast.
    sffdnyhopeful09 and dawk34 like this.
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Thread Information