Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 311 of 1169 FirstFirst ... 211261301308309310311312313314321361411811 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 23365
Like Tree9142Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    I spoke to an EMT promo Tuesday night and he told me that he's in the very low 71X's (dont want to give away his #/name) and he is deffered to the July class.
    Thank you for the info. I see a lot of speculation on this thread, and here is my take:

It took +/-700 Promotional candidates to get 320 Academy seats filled (about half) leaving a balance of +/- 160.
    Assuming the same numbers, that gives about 80 Promotional candidates for the summer academy, and leaving a balance of +/- 240 seats.
    Assuming for every 5 seats, 3 must come from the "priority hire" list, that means 144 seats need to filled by that list, which leaves +/- 96 seats for OC 2000.
    Assuming similar numbers from the Promotional list, that would mean the people in the top 200 spots on the OC list should be considering this summer's academy as a pretty good possibilty.

I know there is no way of really being able to determine how any of this is going to go down, this is just what the lay of the land looks like to me. And I do realize that there are going to be differences between Promotional candidates and OC and who knows how the "priority hire" list will truly effect this model, but what do you folks think?
    Exam 2000
    List #1**

Forum Member

I think it will be more of a 3 to 1 ratio for OC. So I think the first 300 or so will go in the summer.
    BDZ likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I think it will be more of a 3 to 1 ratio for OC. So I think the first 300 or so will go in the summer.
    What in your estimation would account for the higher ratio?
    I cant say that I disagree with that. Since they havent started "chewing" on our list yet and we dont know how it will go, curious to hear.
    Exam 2000
    List #1**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    O no I'm in the open competitive list not the promo I was just wondering so I can get a jump start on everything. I'm guessing I have about a year and a half till I get called so I was just hoping I can do some light reading of the material till then.
    I understand that, and the answer's the same. You'll get all you need to read and study during the first few days. Right now, you just need to be physically prepared. Keep running and doing stairs.

As for this speculation from the last couple of posts....you can throw all the numbers you want out there, but they're baseless. We have no idea what the hiring ratio from EMS was. Many of those members simply differed, not all are out of the running. There is a good possibility that the next class will again be predominantly EMS. As for trying to guess a ratio for the O/C list, just stop. It's throwing darts at a board. Lastly, and most importantly, with any luck these cry babys from the priority list may never see the inside of the fire academy. With any luck, the Second Circuit will overturn some, if not all, of the district courts rulings. That fight is far from over. For all we know, they may not be able to hire from the O/C until that is settled. Everything is speculation about the future. Lets try to deal in certainties.
    mocon337 and OAK like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I understand that, and the answer's the same. You'll get all you need to read and study during the first few days. Right now, you just need to be physically prepared. Keep running and doing stairs.

As for this speculation from the last couple of posts....you can throw all the numbers you want out there, but they're baseless. We have no idea what the hiring ratio from EMS was. Many of those members simply differed, not all are out of the running. There is a good possibility that the next class will again be predominantly EMS. As for trying to guess a ratio for the O/C list, just stop. It's throwing darts at a board. Lastly, and most importantly, with any luck these cry babys from the priority list may never see the inside of the fire academy. With any luck, the Second Circuit will overturn some, if not all, of the district courts rulings. That fight is far from over. For all we know, they may not be able to hire from the O/C until that is settled. Everything is speculation about the future. Lets try to deal in certainties.
    I dont disagree with a lot of what your saying, but I do I see it another way: some of the Promotional guys have info some of us would like to have, namely me. Seeing how that first round went, and how the next few rounds go, we can compare and contrast and get a sense of how things MIGHT go in the future. I am certainly not hanging anything on any one nail. Just curious to know what others know.

And with that intel I put together the picture that I did to see if anyone has anything to add or subtract to how I see things on the ground right now. I assume you would say there is no picture to be drawn at all from the intel that is circulaiting at this time?
    Exam 2000
    List #1**

Forum Member

Congratulations and good luck to all of the people heading to the academy in a few days!

As far as the speculation goes, I'm sure it's useful to someone, but to me, it sure is useless. It wasn't to long ago that I was just 22 and taking 6019. Not too much later, with good scores, I and many others were looking at heading to the fire academy in very early 2009. Unfortunately, most of us are still waiting due to unforeseen circumstances. If anything, these last several years show that you never can tell what will happen, until it does.

But, someday, a packet will show up and an offer to attend the CPAT prep course will appear. The best thing until that day is to be prepared. Get all your pertinent documents together, all the information about where you've worked, where you went to school and where you've lived in one, safe place. Doing it now will make it a lot easier when that day comes. Get physically prepared, not just for the CPAT and medical, but for the academy. I still to this day remember my Dad telling me that if I wanted to be the best wrestler and baseball player, I had to be willing to work, not when it was required, but when the other people would rest. I had to work when others wouldn't be. That's the way to approach this, I think. It sure motivates me when I think someone out there is training and I'm not. To me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so be ready, so you never have to wonder if you did all you could.

Remember that every person we encounter in our pursuit is someone who will form an impression of us. It could an instructor at CPAT prep, a person as dcas, recruitment or your investigator. Make the very best impression you can every time. Reputation will follow us everywhere.

As far as the process, to me, it's pretty simple. They will tell us what to do, how to do and when we need to do it. They give instructions every step of the way. Follow them, listen well and it likely will go pretty smoothly.

Remember, there is no newspaper article, rumor or person that can stop you from being ready. The desire to train, to put in the work, to eat right, to stay out of trouble, to be prepared to do ones best cannot be taken from you. Anything that does not aid in this pursuit, push it aside and forget it. Focus on those things that you can control.

Also, blink fitness gyms typically have stepmills. They are essentially brand new. There are a few locations in each Manhattan and the Bronx and one or two in Brooklyn. It costs $15 or $20 a month depending on the plan you want to buy.

For anyone in the Bronx (or anyone in the city), I typically run at Macombs Dam park. Besides the track and field, they have pull up bars and such just off of the track. There is also a ramp and a little hill I run on. It's a nice place to run. If anyone else run ever runs there let me know.

Good luck to all in the pursuit.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Forum Member

I also think that if the process does go slower than expected, as is happening now with the extra EMS guys and 293 priority hires, a lot more guys with numbers in the middle will probably drop out of competition once their numbers come around. Other job opportunities will arise and only those who really want the job will remain. What I'm saying is that a slower process may not necessarily be a bad thing. It'll sort out all the wannabe Tommy Gavins as time goes on and their interest subsides.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I hope and pray your right, for my own sake and for those that really really want this job.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

and maybe the people who want the salary.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    The salary ain't that good....trust me. Even if it was.....I don't wanna work with someone who's here for that reason. Go work Sanitation, they get paid more.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BDZ View Post
    W5at in your estimation would account for the higher ratio?
    I cant say that I disagree with that. Since they havent started "chewing" on our list yet and we dont know how it will go, curious to hear.
    I think there would be some army vets who can not yet leave the military for some reason but I think the majority of the reason for the higher ratio is the residency credit.
    Also let's not forget that every emt who took 2t500 wants to be a firefighter. It was pass or fail so no one when in there to just waste 50 bucks. The same can not be said for the 2000 guys
    OAK and BDZ like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Lol salary? I hope you not expecting to become rich off being a firefighter because if you are then boyyyyy you on for a very longggggggg career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Lol salary? I hope you not expecting to become rich off being a firefighter because if you are then boyyyyy you on for a very longggggggg career.
    Anyone dumb and lucky enough to make it all the way to the academy just doing this to try and get rich will have a hell of a time surviving the academy.

Forum Member

100 a year may not be much at all living in NYC but receiving 50 a year pension at 50 years old is not bad at all. I can see people going into just for the pension.

OAK
    Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    WOW!! Did you guys see that video? That's embarrassing.

Lord help the FDNY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    WOW!! Did you guys see that video? That's embarrassing.

Lord help the FDNY.

Dude could have at the very least worn his hat correctly for the camera.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    The salary ain't that good....trust me. Even if it was.....I don't wanna work with someone who's here for that reason. Go work Sanitation, they get paid more.
    I was referring to the post from Macon337, where he said maybe time will weed out all the wanna be "Tommy Gavins", and I meant also maybe the people who want the salary, or those recruited just for any job.

Was not referring to the post after his.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

That guy with the crooked hat looks like the type of guy that talks about conspiracy theories on street corners.
    FDsouthbxNY and mocon337 like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

one can barley speak proper engrish. i can only imagine how hes going to wear his helmet at the academy. candidate whats wrong with your helmet? nothing sir i wear it this way because it looks cool. lol wow what a joke this priority hiring bs is really.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Thread Information