Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I made a minor mistake in my packet and I was wondering what you guys thought I should do.

Under the employment section on page 6 I accidentally skipped that page and listed my current employment on page 7. Then continued to list my previous employers on page 8 and 9. So I basically wrote information on page 7 that should have been on page 6. Both pages are the exact same, but I wasn't sure if it were a big deal that I skipped over the first place that I could have written it. Filling the packet out was quite tedious and I honestly didn't realize my mistake until now. I don't want to be on someones radar for "not being able to do what I was asked to do" simply because I made a mistake. Any advice from anyone? Should I cross out page 6 with an N/A? Or leave it blank?

Edit: My father reccomend that I copy the same information from page 7 onto page 6. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mtk123; 02-22-2013 at 05:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spiderneck is correct. I just called CID and just list military under military.

Sorry I doubted you spider.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Definitely agree with getting ahead of the game - making sure you have Certificates of Disposition for all arrests, having your HS degree (even if you have a college degree), digging out your SS card, DMV Driver Abstract, DD214 if military, etc.

The package we received this time didn't specifically ask us to bring any of these in for the initial intake interview, but I'll bring any/all in regardless. Can't hurt to be over prepared in this instance. However (and this was different than 6019, if I remember correctly) there actually isn't anything to get notarized just yet… just signed/initialed.
    I completely agree. I am in the EMS academy now, which uses the same investigators if I am not mistaken, and you will be asked for random things that are not on the list. For example I had to being a notarized letter from my father saying that he supported me finically through college even though I was working and supporting myself but because I was living at home. Another example being that I had got rear ended and despite having a full police report I had to bring in a notarized statement saying what happened.

Make a check list of everything they ask for and make at least 2 copies of it because they generally always lose something. They will ask you to notarize things which they didnt say needed to be so if you can do it for free it definitely wouldn't hurt to do it ahead of time. They do have a notary there but they will not let you use him for any of the packet stuff. He is there solely to notarize dept papers that they give you right there and will have you do at that moment.

Over prepared is way better than under.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

And I'm sure the EMS packet is not much different than fire.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    One other thing. There's been a lot of wondering about convictions/arrest/summons. If you had ANYTHING, even a ticket for loitering or something stupid like that that ended up being dismissed, go to the court house and get a copy of the disposition. Costs about $10. That way you have it with you and you can present it if your investigator thinks they might need it.
    This i would definetely do. But as he said, have it with you IF they think they may need it. Dont just walk in and give them 5 sheets of dispositions for dismissed summonses if they dont ask for it. Give them what they asked you for ONLY, whuch is conviction/arrest history. And if they ask for more, at least in this case you will already have it in your personal folder.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    That's good. I bring it up because it happened to guys when I went through orientation. I was simply trying to let you guys know that having your paperwork in good order will make your investigator's life easier. He/she will in turn be inclined to make YOUR life easier.
    There is nothing in that packet that needs to be notarized, when you get there for your intake, they give you a form to sign. He says to sign it there and he will notarize it.
    grok350 likes this.

Forum Member

A few months ago I posted a list of documents that we were asked to bring to the first interview for 6019 processing. For some reason we are not asked to bring those to the first intake for 2000, but I am positive that we'll still need them at some point. I am bringing those documents to my first intake on 23 March just in case I can submit them at that time and push my process along; if I can't submit them at that time, carrying an extra folder of papers isn't going to kill me. I'd suggest others at least start collecting those papers. Look back on my posts to see what they were, but it included dispositions, Social Security card, Selectove Service registration, DMV drivers abstract, high school and college transcripts, etc.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There is nothing in that packet that needs to be notarized, when you get there for your intake, they give you a form to sign. He says to sign it there and he will notarize it.

Great. So don't notarize it. Once again, it was a suggestion from somebody who's been there. When I went, you had to have certain forms notarized BEFORE you went in. If that has changed, then there's no reason to do it. The message was simply to have your paperwork prepared the way they wanted it. If they're no longer asking for things to be notarized, very obviously don't do it.

Is this cleared up now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I made a minor mistake in my packet and I was wondering what you guys thought I should do.

Under the employment section on page 6 I accidentally skipped that page and listed my current employment on page 7. Then continued to list my previous employers on page 8 and 9. So I basically wrote information on page 7 that should have been on page 6. Both pages are the exact same, but I wasn't sure if it were a big deal that I skipped over the first place that I could have written it. Filling the packet out was quite tedious and I honestly didn't realize my mistake until now. I don't want to be on someones radar for "not being able to do what I was asked to do" simply because I made a mistake. Any advice from anyone? Should I cross out page 6 with an N/A? Or leave it blank?

Edit: My father reccomend that I copy the same information from page 7 onto page 6. Thoughts?
    I would leave it blank if you had enough pages for your employment. Just write your name, SSN, and initial the bottom. I wouldn't copy it and have two pages with the same info, it might get confusing. Just my .02 cents. If you live near Brooklyn, I know they had extra forms in the auditorium, maybe you can stop in and grab the pages you need. But if you can't, I would leave it blank, and explain to them what happened.

MembersZone Subscriber

They won't hang you for an honest mistake. What they don't like is when things they asked for aren't there. If you made a mistake, take it in and say "I made a mistake on this". Don't overthink this. Nobody in there is looking to beat you down. That comes later.
    zachryw2001 and Mtk123 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    And I'm sure the EMS packet is not much different than fire.
    It's the same, except for Fire they want to know any/all arrests/summons/whatever due to the peace officer status. The packet is exactly the same though. When I went through the process for Fire my CBP was just "please provide all relevant information for each part from the date you were hired by EMS to now". Otherwise identical.

I have no idea what the head count is down to now, but I think it's in the low 290s. While we've gotten rid of everyone that was a PT no go, those that just realized it wasn't for them, and a few that honestly got hurt and will recycle, we've now reached the part of the show where people drop due to a failing academic average. At least 4 quit this week because quitting now means they can recycle into the next, whereas after the midterm if you're still failing you will likely be kicked out.

The academics aren't that hard, it's just a lot of reading at once. If you feel like you're weak in that category work on studying and, maybe more importantly, test taking skills.

Oh and for the last ****ing time it's not an "intake interview". There is no interview. You will meet with Candidate Investigations to process your background investigation packet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Oh and for the last ****ing time it's not an "intake interview". There is no interview. You will meet with Candidate Investigations to process your background investigation packet.
    I have referred to it as an intake interview because that is exactly what it is called in the letter I received from CID.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Not trying to let people off the hook for screwing up basic paperwork, but I do have it scanned. PM me your email address and ill send it to you.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I have referred to it as an intake interview because that is exactly what it is called in the letter I received from CID.
    My apologies then. I don't remember ever seeing that. Still, I assure you, it is not a true interview. Put your best foot forward, for sure, but it's not a true interview.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

My apologies then. I don't remember ever seeing that. Still, I assure you, it is not a true interview. Put your best foot forward, for sure, but it's not a true interview.
    Understood. Thanks again for all of your advice.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

I dunno why but I signed up for the Sanitation enforcement agent test tom. I didn't want to miss the filling so I just signed up, don't even know anything about it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I dunno why but I signed up for the Sanitation enforcement agent test tom. I didn't want to miss the filling so I just signed up, don't even know anything about it.
    The less you know the better.

MembersZone Subscriber

@ Manhattan Medic

Just curious if during the academy I would have time to house hunt on the weekends? Just wondering because I'll be staying with some friends during the academy until I can find a place big enough for the family.

Thanks in advance.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    @ Manhattan Medic

Just curious if during the academy I would have time to house hunt on the weekends? Just wondering because I'll be staying with some friends during the academy until I can find a place big enough for the family.

Thanks in advance.
    You should take care of that before or after the academy. You will not have enough time to do that well. When it starts to look clear that you could make it into a class you should try and stabilize your life as much as possible leading up to it, because you will not have time to do anything substantial outside of the academy while you are in it.

I'd be going to bed right now if it wasn't Friday. As it is I will have to fight to make it to 10. An average weekday night includes reading, making lunch for the following day, maybe laundry, and at least 30-60 minutes of time to decompress. There's no time to do anything else. As it is my girlfriend does a lot of stuff around the house that she normally wouldn't because I simply don't have the time or energy. You're not going to be able to do something crazy like look for a new place to live. Also, are you looking to rent or buy?

MembersZone Subscriber

You should take care of that before or after the academy. You will not have enough time to do that well. When it starts to look clear that you could make it into a class you should try and stabilize your life as much as possible leading up to it, because you will not have time to do anything substantial outside of the academy while you are in it.

I'd be going to bed right now if it wasn't Friday. As it is I will have to fight to make it to 10. An average weekday night includes reading, making lunch for the following day, maybe laundry, and at least 30-60 minutes of time to decompress. There's no time to do anything else. As it is my girlfriend does a lot of stuff around the house that she normally wouldn't because I simply don't have the time or energy. You're not going to be able to do something crazy like look for a new place to live. Also, are you looking to rent or buy?
    Probably rent cause I don't think we'll be able to afford for a few years. One of the biggest obstacles I see is finding a place big enough for me, the wife, both kids and our dogs.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Probably rent cause I don't think we'll be able to afford for a few years. One of the biggest obstacles I see is finding a place big enough for me, the wife, both kids and our dogs.
    Not knowing anything about your situation, I can definitely say sacrificing space for roughly a year would be worth the shorter commute. Not saying you gotta be in Astoria like me, but there's a big difference between being in Queens or The Bronx and being deep in Suffolk when you're in the academy. It's a lot of miles, $, and time wasted, whereas my commute is 4 miles each way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Haha did the same thing man see you there
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Question for guys otj who have come from PD or have been thru the PD process. Is the psychological exam the same as the one for PD? I know that PD and Corrections give the same psych so i was wondering if the fire department utilizes the same exam.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for guys otj who have come from PD or have been thru the PD process. Is the psychological exam the same as the one for PD? I know that PD and Corrections give the same psych so i was wondering if the fire department utilizes the same exam.
    No. PD and corrections both have an interview you have to get through in addition to a very long battery of written tests. We have a written with a potential to be interviewed if they don't like something you wrote down. The written is kind of similar to PD, but nowhere near as long.

Keep in mind though, I did this 5 years ago. Some things may have changed between now and then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not knowing anything about your situation, I can definitely say sacrificing space for roughly a year would be worth the shorter commute. Not saying you gotta be in Astoria like me, but there's a big difference between being in Queens or The Bronx and being deep in Suffolk when you're in the academy. It's a lot of miles, $, and time wasted, whereas my commute is 4 miles each way.
    I'll second that. Even coming in from Staten Island every day was a pain in the a**. Getting up at 4 was bad, leaving the house at 430 sucked, but sitting in the lot at the Rock for an hour waiting for your squad because you beat the traffic that may or may not make you late if you leave any later than 430 was the pits.
    HopefulFF and grok350 like this.

Thread Information