Like Tree10493Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Not knowing anything about your situation, I can definitely say sacrificing space for roughly a year would be worth the shorter commute. Not saying you gotta be in Astoria like me, but there's a big difference between being in Queens or The Bronx and being deep in Suffolk when you're in the academy. It's a lot of miles, $, and time wasted, whereas my commute is 4 miles each way.
    Just wondering what the take home pay is during the academy? If you don't want to post could you please PM me just trying to figure out the logistics of everything so when it comes time to move its one less thing I'll have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    I'll second that. Even coming in from Staten Island every day was a pain in the a**. Getting up at 4 was bad, leaving the house at 430 sucked, but sitting in the lot at the Rock for an hour waiting for your squad because you beat the traffic that may or may not make you late if you leave any later than 430 was the pits.
    Thanks for your input. As of right now if I make it in the academy I was gonna stay with some friends on SI but it seems like that might be more of a hassle.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Just wondering what the take home pay is during the academy? If you don't want to post could you please PM me just trying to figure out the logistics of everything so when it comes time to move its one less thing I'll have to worry about.

Thanks for your input. As of right now if I make it in the academy I was gonna stay with some friends on SI but it seems like that might be more of a hassle.
    You would be better off in Queens. It's just plain easier on you and the way to go if you aren't already established somewhere in the city. I won't lie to you the take home pay is pretty sorry and tough to support a family on. It'll be rough for a year or two. But it's worth it. I promise you the first day you go to your firehouse with your cake and a silly, sh** eating grin on your face it's all worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

double post

Forum Member

1. Will PM
    2. I'm not badmouthing Staten Island but there's a bunch of guys in my squad who come from there and it definitely sucks balls for them. The evening commute can take an hour and a half, or more, and as teufelhunden36 said they have to make sure to leave early and get to Randalls super early just to make sure they don't get caught in traffic. I think nearly all of them carpool, but they're also still paying the Verrazano toll (once a day), the battery tunnel toll (do you pay the toll going both ways in the tunnel? I can't remember), and the Triboro (once a day).

MembersZone Subscriber

You would be better off in Queens. It's just plain easier on you and the way to go if you aren't already established somewhere in the city. I won't lie to you the take home pay is pretty sorry and tough to support a family on. It'll be rough for a year or two. But it's worth it. I promise you the first day you go to your firehouse with your cake and a silly, sh** eating grin on your face it's all worth it.
    Just out of curiosity what's so nice about Queens, your the 3rd person that's told me that's probably my best bet.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity what's so nice about Queens, your the 3rd person that's told me that's probably my best bet.
    Have you ever been?

For the sake of the academy it's just good for close proximity. Queens is also just a massive landmass with a lot of variety in neighborhoods, and still relatively affordable (by NYC standards). It's hard to get much more specific than that, because there's so much variety.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you ever been?

For the sake of the academy it's just good for close proximity. Queens is also just a massive landmass with a lot of variety in neighborhoods, and still relatively affordable (by NYC standards). It's hard to get much more specific than that, because there's so much variety.
    Only time I've ever been was when I took my exam. I guess I'll be doing a lot of 'sightseeing' in Queens next month and every other trip to NYC for the process.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

I'll second that. Even coming in from Staten Island every day was a pain in the a**. Getting up at 4 was bad, leaving the house at 430 sucked, but sitting in the lot at the Rock for an hour waiting for your squad because you beat the traffic that may or may not make you late if you leave any later than 430 was the pits.

If I make it to The Rock I assumed this is what I'd have to do. Sucks balls! I would definitely consider renting something close to the academy and only stay there mon-thurs nights. Might be difficult to find a place to stay for only 18 weeks though. Is that surrounding area an expensive place to live/rent?
    grok350 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

It isn't about what's nice; it's what's convenient. If you live in Astoria or in that area you have a short commute to the Rock. That equates to more time at home. Which gives you more time to study and rest.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

1. Will PM
    2. I'm not badmouthing Staten Island but there's a bunch of guys in my squad who come from there and it definitely sucks balls for them. The evening commute can take an hour and a half, or more, and as teufelhunden36 said they have to make sure to leave early and get to Randalls super early just to make sure they don't get caught in traffic. I think nearly all of them carpool, but they're also still paying the Verrazano toll (once a day), the battery tunnel toll (do you pay the toll going both ways in the tunnel? I can't remember), and the Triboro (once a day).
    I only ever took the Battery Tunnel on Fridays just because I wanted to get the hell home. Monday through Thursday I went over the Brooklyn Bridge because it was free. I do think you have to pay both ways, though.

OAK
    Forum Member

I only ever took the Battery Tunnel on Fridays just because I wanted to get the hell home. Monday through Thursday I went over the Brooklyn Bridge because it was free. I do think you have to pay both ways, though.
    There's a toll for the Battery tunnel each way..

Forum Member

i plan on riding my bike to the rock one day, anyone else plan to? there any racks out their to lock up my bike to? Im only riding in from Jackson Heights so its really not too far for me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    i plan on riding my bike to the rock one day, anyone else plan to? there any racks out their to lock up my bike to? Im only riding in from Jackson Heights so its really not too far for me.
    A guy rides his bike to/from the academy everyday and locks it up somewhere... so you should be alright.

Forum Member

No. PD and corrections both have an interview you have to get through in addition to a very long battery of written tests. We have a written with a potential to be interviewed if they don't like something you wrote down. The written is kind of similar to PD, but nowhere near as long.

Keep in mind though, I did this 5 years ago. Some things may have changed between now and then.
    Oh okay great no interview. But the written is pretty much the same? Just the Same 1200 questions reworded over and over again lol. I didnt have a problem with the PD psych. Even the interviews were cool. I actually took PD's psych two seperate times in 08 and in 11 and passed both times. However, It was major debt that kept me out of PD.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ignace_ fortunat View Post
    Nice...I see you get a kick out of insulting people or me for that matter. It must be eating the $h!t out of you know that your words can't hurt me. Your bully ways might have worked in high school but I assure you it won't work on me but you can keep trying tho. You might be better suited to be an advisor with all the advice you are throwing around...I'm just saying
    I couldn't care less about you or what any other internet tough guy on here does; don't flatter yourself. Allow me to introduce you to my 'ignore" button. Feel free to find your own way onto the job, since you already have all the answers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Oh okay great no interview. But the written is pretty much the same? Just the Same 1200 questions reworded over and over again lol. I didnt have a problem with the PD psych. Even the interviews were cool. I actually took PD's psych two seperate times in 08 and in 11 and passed both times. However, It was major debt that kept me out of PD.
    Pds psych is only about 400questions now. I just took it a few months ago, it used to be like 1200 questions lol. Coming in from staten will suck major balls but what else can ya do. With the take home pay im sure it would be tough to find a place in a decent neighborhood

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Coming in from staten will suck major balls but what else can ya do. With the take home pay im sure it would be tough to find a place in a decent neighborhood
    Get into a carpool with a few guys. Makes life and finances a bit easier because you can split costs and use the HOV lanes. If you have time before you get called maybe save a bit of money to ease the blow if you're going to be taking a pay cut. Try to eliminate whatever problems you think may come up now so you can devote all your energy to proby school.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

Get into a carpool with a few guys. Makes life and finances a bit easier because you can split costs and use the HOV lanes. If you have time before you get called maybe save a bit of money to ease the blow if you're going to be taking a pay cut. Try to eliminate whatever problems you think may come up now so you can devote all your energy to proby school.

good idea. Grok, before the 18th make a copy of your DMV drivers abstract and I'll do the same. We can exchange them to verify we're safe drivers. On mine you'll see I took a defensive driving course in 2000. lol
    grok350 likes this.

Forum Member

Or we could get a group of something like ten of us to rent out some cheap place and sleep on cots and car pool. Eat sleep breathe probe school.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Im curious to as if debt would be an issue to get into fdny since you mentioned it kept you from going into the pd. can anyone elaborate on this?

I have car payments, credit card debt and mortgage. Not to put my business out there like that, just wanna know if its going to be an issue so i could adjust fire.
    dkjets75 likes this.

Forum Member

It's the same, except for Fire they want to know any/all arrests/summons/whatever due to the peace officer status. The packet is exactly the same though. When I went through the process for Fire my CBP was just "please provide all relevant information for each part from the date you were hired by EMS to now". Otherwise identical.

I have no idea what the head count is down to now, but I think it's in the low 290s. While we've gotten rid of everyone that was a PT no go, those that just realized it wasn't for them, and a few that honestly got hurt and will recycle, we've now reached the part of the show where people drop due to a failing academic average. At least 4 quit this week because quitting now means they can recycle into the next, whereas after the midterm if you're still failing you will likely be kicked out.

The academics aren't that hard, it's just a lot of reading at once. If you feel like you're weak in that category work on studying and, maybe more importantly, test taking skills.

Oh and for the last ****ing time it's not an "intake interview". There is no interview. You will meet with Candidate Investigations to process your background investigation packet.
    MM, is it possible for you to tell us the book names that are being used in the academy? This is my dream job and i just want to make sure im fully prepared for the academy. I got it, its not rocket science but it will benefit us if we went over the book at least once before we go in the academy. Atleast IMO

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good idea. Grok, before the 18th make a copy of your DMV drivers abstract and I'll do the same. We can exchange them to verify we're safe drivers. On mine you'll see I took a defensive driving course in 2000. lol
    I would be down. I'm already carpooling with another 104 person on si, the more the merrier lol. 7 yrs driving no accidents lol, you run on si at all?
    Last edited by grok350; 02-23-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Or we could get a group of something like ten of us to rent out some cheap place and sleep on cots and car pool. Eat sleep breathe probe school.
    Just make sure you don't over-occupy the place and make it a FIRE hazard... wouldn't that be ironic? heh

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I'll bring the cots, already got 6 of them lol.

But seriously if some one is looking to split a place I'm definitely interested.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

eZc
    Forum Member

Hey if anyone was still interested in the weight vest I had offered for sale few months ago, the person that originally contacted me about seems to no longer be in contact about it, so just doin a repost below - best of luck to you guys.

I had bought a 40 lb adjustable weight vest back then to train - looks like I won't be needing it now, so will sell to anyone interested with a reasonable offer (ie. half of what I paid for it new) . PM me if interested - I'm in nassau county, so local pickup/meetup would be preferred to save yourself the cost of shipping.
    Here's the product from sports authority website which is where I purchased from:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32079&mr:trackingCode=53857AC1-1B5B-E011-BB8E-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=2448667679 1&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=29700260991&mr:match=&mr:key word=&{copy:iq_id}=&{copy:camp}=

Thread Information