Like Tree9514Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    MM, is it possible for you to tell us the book names that are being used in the academy? This is my dream job and i just want to make sure im fully prepared for the academy. I got it, its not rocket science but it will benefit us if we went over the book at least once before we go in the academy. Atleast IMO
    Self produced.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

MM how are you doing in the academy as far as your academic standing goes? I know you said its pretty easy stuff, but just curious as to why so many are not doing so well. Can you shed some light on this?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Im curious to as if debt would be an issue to get into fdny since you mentioned it kept you from going into the pd. can anyone elaborate on this?

I have car payments, credit card debt and mortgage. Not to put my business out there like that, just wanna know if its going to be an issue so i could adjust fire.
    Just from looking thru the packet i dont think the FD will even question that. I could be wrong, but i remember that nypd had a specific section in their packet for you to list any and all debt. You had to list the original debt amount as well as the remaining balance of that debt so that they can see if youve been paying it off. Any delinquent debt was an automatic no no. Mines was a delinquent car note from 2000 plus i owed the IRS in back taxes at the time; all since cleared up of course.

But this is a different job altogether. NYPD has their reasons for stressing certain things that other agencies may not. A guy $200,000 in debt will take a bribe and/or pocket the drug money a little quicker than most. But as firefighters, we wont be dealing with drug money, gamblers, bribes or pulling people aside so we can dig thru their personal belongings. Therefore, less opportunity for financial corruption and theft. For this reason i do not believe that personal debt will be an issue, ESPECIALLY since personal debt is not even mentioned anywhere in the packet whatsoever.

And also, even if the FD asked about debt in the past, im sure they will most likely leave financial hardship questions off the table this time...IF theyre serious about collecting more minorities.To be honest, Things like minor criminal history, license suspensions and job terminations have already been expected from this pool of candidates and have therefore been eased over for this particular process. Im sure personal debt wont be a problem, especially if its not delinquent. Most of all is that the application packet doesnt even ask about it, which is where i would expect they would ask,IF they even cared about it.
    FDNYPD likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

I've heard FD does in fact look into your financial/credit history which is why(again this was for EMS but as MM has said it's the same for fire) you have to bring in credit card statements as proof of residency. I had at the time a substantial amount of debt, which has since been dealt with thank god, but they made no reference of it at all. So dunno how much they actually take it into account but I have heard it does.

I would definitely be willing to rent a place with a bunch of other guys when the times come but given my list number I'm looking at next January at best.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I've heard FD does in fact look into your financial/credit history which is why(again this was for EMS but as MM has said it's the same for fire) you have to bring in credit card statements as proof of residency. I had at the time a substantial amount of debt, which has since been dealt with thank god, but they made no reference of it at all. So dunno how much they actually take it into account but I have heard it does.

I would definitely be willing to rent a place with a bunch of other guys when the times come but given my list number I'm looking at next January at best.
    if u had to lay odds on us 102s getting in to jan/feb 2014 class...
    anyone chime in

Forum Member

Not credit card statements, bank account statements.....
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 02-24-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    if u had to lay odds on us 102s getting in to jan/feb 2014 class...
    anyone chime in
    I think pretty good, the one class that went in from 6019 went to the mid 800's on the list. Even with the priority hires and the remaining EMT guys I think our chances are pretty good for the January class... or that's what I keep telling myself to maintain my sanity lol.
    OAK and coldblood92 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Not credit card statements, bank account statements.......
    You could have credit card statements or bank statements for the residency credits.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

tomfromqueens, what part you from? Im from bayside

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    You could have credit card statements or bank statements for the residency credits.
    Sorry, that's what I meant.

Forum Member

If no PHs get hired, or very few we should be good for January. If not then June/July. But based on those I've met who are on the list there seems to be a lot of people on the list who don't REALLY want it and don't plan on taking it should the offer arise.
    BrooklynBorn and Spiderneck30 like this.
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

or neither...so long as you have other documents to prove residency. Which sounds like they utilize the bank/credit statements to establish residency only, not financial status. Hence why they made no reference to FdnyFFHopefull's debt situation, although he had a substantial amount "at the time".
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

If no PHs get hired, or very few we should be good for January. If not then June/July. But based on those I've met who are on the list there seems to be a lot of people on the list who don't REALLY want it and don't plan on taking it should the offer arise.

I like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I would be down. I'm already carpooling with another 104 person on si, the more the merrier lol. 7 yrs driving no accidents lol, you run on si at all?
    nice, you're on the ball. I run at Bloomingdale Park, and near my gym on Arthur Kill. How about you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    tomfromqueens, what part you from? Im from bayside
    I was in Howard Beach but moved to Long Beach in September. I confirmed with candidate investigations that I still get the residency points and they said I do as long as I can confirm I was living in the city during the time frame they were looking for. I have no lease so if I hear any problems I'm telling my girl we gotta pack up we're go back to Queens. Plus as crazy as it sounds I really miss living in Queens, I'm already trying to guilt my GF about the commute to the academy lol.
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 02-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Mtk123 likes this.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    nice, you're on the ball. I run at Bloomingdale Park, and near my gym on Arthur Kill. How about you?
    I play for a flag league there in the summer and winter. I run at csi.

Forum Member

I was in Howard Beach but moved to Long Beach in September. I confirmed with candidate investigations that I still get the residency points and they said I do as long as I can confirm I was living in the city during the time frame they were looking for. I have no lease so if I hear any problems I'm telling my girl we gotta pack up we're go back to Queens. Plus as crazy as it sounds I really miss living in Queens, I'm already trying to guilt my GF about the commute to the academy lol.
    lol, guilt her hard! Theres no lights out there! What you add by moving out there like 30-40 minutes to your commute right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I play for a flag league there in the summer and winter. I run at csi.

I usually work out before work so I'm out there around 5AM when it's just me and a few sketchy people who look like they've been there all night

Forum Member

I usually work out before work so I'm out there around 5AM when it's just me and a few sketchy people who look like they've been there all night
    Those are the P H hires. lol
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Hopeful and grok, I run at csi too, whenever i have a chance. Let me know if you guys want to set something up. I'm down. That goes for anyone else on this forum who wants to run.

Forum Member

First off congratulations to everyone currently in the academy, and to those who recently received an investigation packet for the next academy class.

I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now and I've been trying to get as much useful information as possible. I'm sure no one is certain about the status of the future classes, however I've been trying to inquire when a candidate with a score of a 98 and a list # in the 4900 range should expect some good news ?

Forum Member

I know it said in the packet that we need our drivers license by the intake interview but I've never had the need or the money to be honest to have a car, so I don't even have my permit but I do plan on getting it next week and hopefully my license soon after that, my appt. is for the 1st of april but if i'm unable to get it by then, can i just tell them im currently in the process of getting it and im all good?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    First off congratulations to everyone currently in the academy, and to those who recently received an investigation packet for the next academy class.

I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now and I've been trying to get as much useful information as possible. I'm sure no one is certain about the status of the future classes, however I've been trying to inquire when a candidate with a score of a 98 and a list # in the 4900 range should expect some good news ?
    It's anyone 's guess really. We'll probably have a better idea of the ratios after the first oc people go in and how many priority hires if any get through. With that list number i would say atleast a 2yr wait, but who knows really lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    I know it said in the packet that we need our drivers license by the intake interview but I've never had the need or the money to be honest to have a car, so I don't even have my permit but I do plan on getting it next week and hopefully my license soon after that, my appt. is for the 1st of april but if i'm unable to get it by then, can i just tell them im currently in the process of getting it and im all good?
    You MUST get this done. Go to DMV TOMORROW and get the ball rolling. I hope you have all the necessary driver's ed coursework completed so you can go right to your road test. It's been 20 years since I went, but I do remember the process takes longer than a month. Find out EXACTLY what you need to do and in what time frame you have to do it in BEFORE you call your CID. You don't want them shaking their head at anything before you get there if it isn't even going to be a problem. I'm not bashing you, but this really should have been done a while ago.

Don't get yourself crazy. This is NYC and plenty of people don't get their license. But this job requires it. Was this not in your Notice of Examination as a requirement for the job? If it wasn't, you may only need to get a non driver's license ID, which is cake. Check into it but don't call CID until you know for sure there's a problem.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 02-24-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks Grok, I know it's all speculation at this point but I really hope it's 2 years. I was called to go into the Jersey Trooper academy this coming April and I'm passing on that opportunity so that I can do FDNY instead. I hope that decision doesn't come to bite me in my as*.

Thread Information