Like Tree11287Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Thanks Grok, I know it's all speculation at this point but I really hope it's 2 years. I was called to go into the Jersey Trooper academy this coming April and I'm passing on that opportunity so that I can do FDNY instead. I hope that decision doesn't come to bite me in my as*.
    Everyone's situation is different,but I would not have passed up the trooper academy for a uncertain thing. But, good luck, and hope you get in ASAP.
    Unless of course, by your username, can't tell if you are PD already.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Everyone's situation is different,but I would not have passed up the trooper academy for a uncertain thing. But, good luck, and hope you get in ASAP.
    Unless of course, by your username, can't tell if you are PD already.....
    I am currently doing PD, PD is my backup in case 6019 reoccurs. However, If I wasn't doing PD then I would be all over the Jersey trooper position. It just makes no sense for me to go from PD to Jersey Troopers, then Jersey Troopers to FD. Ultimately, FDNY is what I want.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Grok, I know it's all speculation at this point but I really hope it's 2 years. I was called to go into the Jersey Trooper academy this coming April and I'm passing on that opportunity so that I can do FDNY instead. I hope that decision doesn't come to bite me in my as*.
    I admire your dedication, but you should take the trooper job. Weird stuff has happened with these lists lately. It's not a slight to the job in any way. Half the job was a cop before getting on. NJ State Troopers is a Class A Agency and it'll look great for you when they do call you. Take the job that's on the table now; plenty of guys did a year or two on the cops before coming on our job.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently doing PD, PD is my backup in case 6019 reoccurs. However, If I wasn't doing PD then I would be all over the Jersey trooper position. It just makes no sense for me to go from PD to Jersey Troopers, then Jersey Troopers to FD. Ultimately, FDNY is what I want.
    "Doing PD" as already on or just processing in? If you're already NYPD then stay put. If not, think it over. Salary wise state troopers is the way to go. But NYPD gets your city time started so stick with that if you're already on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    "Doing PD" as already on or just processing in? If you're already NYPD then stay put. If not, think it over. Salary wise state troopers is the way to go. But NYPD gets your city time started so stick with that if you're already on.
    Thanks for the advice Teufel, and I'm already in PD hence why I think it's better for me to stay and wait for FD. I've been on for 4 years so I wouldn't want to lose my pension and my tier 2 rights.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    I know it said in the packet that we need our drivers license by the intake interview but I've never had the need or the money to be honest to have a car, so I don't even have my permit but I do plan on getting it next week and hopefully my license soon after that, my appt. is for the 1st of april but if i'm unable to get it by then, can i just tell them im currently in the process of getting it and im all good?
    An interesting story from FDNY List 6019 Forum just reminded me of your drivers license situation. Here is his story in exact quotes:

I would like to begin by thanking you all for keeping me informed and optimistic throughout these times of ambiguous explanations and ridiculous rulings. Without this forum I don’t know what would have kept me hopeful for so long. I would also like to thank Merit Matters for their direct impact on the events that have passed, and for pushing the ideals that will secure our future and that of the people of New York. I would like to apologize for, and state that I do regret, not joining sooner so as to contribute more to the cause. Though I have met some of you in person, I would like to once and for all put my story out in the open…partly because you’re the only ones who can relate…and partly because misery loves company and my story may help ease the overall crapulence of the individual situations we all wallow in. I will begin where we all did. I signed up for exam 6019 (and only 6019 because the FDNY was the only city department I truly wanted to be a part of). I went to all the test prep, and took the same exam that we all took. Despite the randomness of the questions when compared to the more relevant job specific questions with which we studied, I emphasize that they were the same common sense oriented questions that everyone on the list was forced to answer. How those questions can be accused of failing to measure a potential candidate’s aptitude, and yet succeed at discriminating based on the color of their skin is a concept as lacking in logic as proof, but I will stop there in order to keep from ranting on this matter just yet. I received no wake up call or test site transportation, and had no military credit, only residential…and managed to place in the low 200’s of the list.
    Taking into account the Vulcan argument posed as the premise of the case, apparently I had stayed out of the sun long enough to do well on the exam, and my skin color had not fully diminished my reading, writing, or cognitive abilities in spite of my ethnic bloodline…yes, I am a minority.
    I continued through the process, going to the rock for physical training well beyond what was needed for the CPAT, improving as necessary and excelling at it. I passed the CPAT and the medical thanks to that training and the encouragement of the instructors who, while it hurts me to need to specify this, never gave off the slightest vibe of unfairness, racism, or negativity.
    I waited patiently; checking in regularly to make sure everything was in order for my investigation. I had received laser eye surgery, checked in, and was under the impression that I was in the clear. While I had been told that a driver’s license was necessary before graduating from the academy, and believed that my investigator would have told me if I required it before then (considering my constant contact with him)…I was in fact wrong to deduce anything of he sort. I received a phone call from my investigator on June 3rd saying that if I did not get a drivers license immediately I would not be able to enter the academy as part of the first class (or, as time has since shown, at all).
    Immediately contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles, I arranged the earliest appointment available, June 17th. While cutting it close, I would have made it had I not had the misfortune of having my ID checked by a DMV official who was as observant as he was disgruntled. It was brought to my attention that my permit still said that I required glasses. Despite my explanation regarding the laser eye surgery, the time limit for the FDNY, the fact that I still happened to have the receipt in my jacket pocket, and my willingness to take an eye exam (or even borrow a pair of glasses for the sake of it); no amount of pleading made a difference…he would not let me take the exam. My dreams seemed to shatter in an instant at the hand of a man who was merely sick of his career and had no qualms with helping me share his fate.
    But what kind of a candidate would I be if I had given up so easily? I immediately called the DMV and told everyone I could of my situation. After about an hour and half a dozen sympathetic DMV associates (they do exist), I was put on the phone with a higher up who was willing to schedule me an emergency exam for Friday, June 27…a miracle for scheduling a drivers test. I called my investigator and told him the situation, and was even put on the phone with a higher up; being told that so long as I passed all should be well.
    This is where it would be assumed that I failed to pass the test thanks to some angry instructor, but no, I in fact passed and was all too excited that through persistence I had persevered. Only the call to my investigator could ruin the elation I had achieved. I was told that the mile and a half run (which I would have had no problem passing thanks to the trainers at the rock) had already been given earlier in the week, and I would not be allowed to enter the class. I asked if there was anything I could do, and was simply told to keep in shape and stay out of trouble…words we have all come to dread by now.
    I kept in shape, passing the run for the January class, and looked forward to being sworn in when I awoke to a phone call from the mayor’s office stating that hiring would be “postponed indefinitely”. Remaining as steadfast as possible after having my dream dissolved before me yet again, I waited patiently for my next opportunity. I believed the budget issues would work themselves out for the sake of public safety, and the city would hire in the near future…not realizing that the next hiring freeze would embody a complete disregard for public safety, let alone our individual struggles.
    I have kept up with the case and judge’s ignorance toward logic and reason, wondering more than anything how a blatant disregard for the ideals of justice itself can be excused for the sake of “righting” a proposed wrong in spite of an utter lack of proof that a wrong was done in the first place.
    As a side note, I have yet to find out how often a missing drivers license is implemented as a strict requirement for beginning the academy, and do still wonder how many others have been held back due to enforcement of the rule. I also find it strange that despite the likelihood of my passing a simple driving test, I was not allowed to run that week, which was ultimately the cause of my rejection. Rumors about injured or deferred candidates being replaced by other candidates in the early weeks, while a grim prospect, were also left unverified. I would appreciate any information with regards to procedure in any such matters, and look forward to being another voiced story added to the cause. While I still want to fight for my dream career, I want to fight even harder for its ideals, even if that means sacrificing my own opportunity for such a cause. The FDNY should be known as a profession that hires the best to protect this beautiful and diverse city from dangers that threaten the lives of everyone indiscriminately. I know many of you agree, and I want to be a part of it all.
    Thank you all for your time and patience.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice Teufel, and I'm already in PD hence why I think it's better for me to stay and wait for FD. I've been on for 4 years so I wouldn't want to lose my pension and my tier 2 rights.
    Nope, you absolutely made the right call. Didn't see your post about PD until after I responded. That tier 2 status is gold. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Does he get to keep his their 2 status?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Does he get to keep his their 2 status?
    Yes. That's for sure. The only thing I'm not sure of is seniority. I know it counts but I don't know if it comes off the back end, meaning you would have to do however many years less to retire, or if it counts towards top pay. But for pension purposes all of that time counts.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 02-24-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Member

I don't know if I'm missing something or if it is a paper I already filled out or what, but, for the Veteran's Credit it say I need to fill out the DP-152 form, what is that? Where is it in the packet? I don't know if I'm just over looking it or what.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    An interesting story from FDNY List 6019 Forum just reminded me of your drivers license situation. Here is his story in exact quotes:

I would like to begin by thanking you all for keeping me informed and optimistic throughout these times of ambiguous explanations and ridiculous rulings. Without this forum I don’t know what would have kept me hopeful for so long. I would also like to thank Merit Matters for their direct impact on the events that have passed, and for pushing the ideals that will secure our future and that of the people of New York. I would like to apologize for, and state that I do regret, not joining sooner so as to contribute more to the cause. Though I have met some of you in person, I would like to once and for all put my story out in the open…partly because you’re the only ones who can relate…and partly because misery loves company and my story may help ease the overall crapulence of the individual situations we all wallow in. I will begin where we all did. I signed up for exam 6019 (and only 6019 because the FDNY was the only city department I truly wanted to be a part of). I went to all the test prep, and took the same exam that we all took. Despite the randomness of the questions when compared to the more relevant job specific questions with which we studied, I emphasize that they were the same common sense oriented questions that everyone on the list was forced to answer. How those questions can be accused of failing to measure a potential candidate’s aptitude, and yet succeed at discriminating based on the color of their skin is a concept as lacking in logic as proof, but I will stop there in order to keep from ranting on this matter just yet. I received no wake up call or test site transportation, and had no military credit, only residential…and managed to place in the low 200’s of the list.
    Taking into account the Vulcan argument posed as the premise of the case, apparently I had stayed out of the sun long enough to do well on the exam, and my skin color had not fully diminished my reading, writing, or cognitive abilities in spite of my ethnic bloodline…yes, I am a minority.
    I continued through the process, going to the rock for physical training well beyond what was needed for the CPAT, improving as necessary and excelling at it. I passed the CPAT and the medical thanks to that training and the encouragement of the instructors who, while it hurts me to need to specify this, never gave off the slightest vibe of unfairness, racism, or negativity.
    I waited patiently; checking in regularly to make sure everything was in order for my investigation. I had received laser eye surgery, checked in, and was under the impression that I was in the clear. While I had been told that a driver’s license was necessary before graduating from the academy, and believed that my investigator would have told me if I required it before then (considering my constant contact with him)…I was in fact wrong to deduce anything of he sort. I received a phone call from my investigator on June 3rd saying that if I did not get a drivers license immediately I would not be able to enter the academy as part of the first class (or, as time has since shown, at all).
    Immediately contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles, I arranged the earliest appointment available, June 17th. While cutting it close, I would have made it had I not had the misfortune of having my ID checked by a DMV official who was as observant as he was disgruntled. It was brought to my attention that my permit still said that I required glasses. Despite my explanation regarding the laser eye surgery, the time limit for the FDNY, the fact that I still happened to have the receipt in my jacket pocket, and my willingness to take an eye exam (or even borrow a pair of glasses for the sake of it); no amount of pleading made a difference…he would not let me take the exam. My dreams seemed to shatter in an instant at the hand of a man who was merely sick of his career and had no qualms with helping me share his fate.
    But what kind of a candidate would I be if I had given up so easily? I immediately called the DMV and told everyone I could of my situation. After about an hour and half a dozen sympathetic DMV associates (they do exist), I was put on the phone with a higher up who was willing to schedule me an emergency exam for Friday, June 27…a miracle for scheduling a drivers test. I called my investigator and told him the situation, and was even put on the phone with a higher up; being told that so long as I passed all should be well.
    This is where it would be assumed that I failed to pass the test thanks to some angry instructor, but no, I in fact passed and was all too excited that through persistence I had persevered. Only the call to my investigator could ruin the elation I had achieved. I was told that the mile and a half run (which I would have had no problem passing thanks to the trainers at the rock) had already been given earlier in the week, and I would not be allowed to enter the class. I asked if there was anything I could do, and was simply told to keep in shape and stay out of trouble…words we have all come to dread by now.
    I kept in shape, passing the run for the January class, and looked forward to being sworn in when I awoke to a phone call from the mayor’s office stating that hiring would be “postponed indefinitely”. Remaining as steadfast as possible after having my dream dissolved before me yet again, I waited patiently for my next opportunity. I believed the budget issues would work themselves out for the sake of public safety, and the city would hire in the near future…not realizing that the next hiring freeze would embody a complete disregard for public safety, let alone our individual struggles.
    I have kept up with the case and judge’s ignorance toward logic and reason, wondering more than anything how a blatant disregard for the ideals of justice itself can be excused for the sake of “righting” a proposed wrong in spite of an utter lack of proof that a wrong was done in the first place.
    As a side note, I have yet to find out how often a missing drivers license is implemented as a strict requirement for beginning the academy, and do still wonder how many others have been held back due to enforcement of the rule. I also find it strange that despite the likelihood of my passing a simple driving test, I was not allowed to run that week, which was ultimately the cause of my rejection. Rumors about injured or deferred candidates being replaced by other candidates in the early weeks, while a grim prospect, were also left unverified. I would appreciate any information with regards to procedure in any such matters, and look forward to being another voiced story added to the cause. While I still want to fight for my dream career, I want to fight even harder for its ideals, even if that means sacrificing my own opportunity for such a cause. The FDNY should be known as a profession that hires the best to protect this beautiful and diverse city from dangers that threaten the lives of everyone indiscriminately. I know many of you agree, and I want to be a part of it all.
    Thank you all for your time and patience.
    Not to beat a dead horse with this question, but this isn't saying that you have to have a NYC license at the time of the interview, but rather just a license in general?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I don't know if I'm missing something or if it is a paper I already filled out or what, but, for the Veteran's Credit it say I need to fill out the DP-152 form, what is that? Where is it in the packet? I don't know if I'm just over looking it or what.
    DP-152? Never heard of it. Make sure you have a DD-214 that absolutely is required. If you can't find a form your packet says you should have you need to call CID and check on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse with this question, but this isn't saying that you have to have a NYC license at the time of the interview, but rather just a license in general?
    Whatever your NOtice of Examination says you should have is what is expected.
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

Forum Member

yes you need your license. You are gonna have to get it before the class goes in or else you will be in the next class. It takes a few months to get your license usually. You need to schedule a road test which takes weeks and there is a very good chance you will not pass the first time. Sometimes if you schedule the road test through a driving school they can make it faster since they already have spots held or something but if not it could take a a few weeks or more to get a scheduled test.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-24-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    Hopeful and grok, I run at csi too, whenever i have a chance. Let me know if you guys want to set something up. I'm down. That goes for anyone else on this forum who wants to run.
    I'll shoot you a pm when I'm running there next

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I'll shoot you a pm when I'm running there next
    Do yourselves a favor and be sure you're running on asphalt. That's what you'll be running on at the Rock and it feels different than the running surface at CSI. Especially if you get shin splints. Getting used to the hard surface now will help you later.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

Do yourselves a favor and be sure you're running on asphalt. That's what you'll be running on at the Rock and it feels different than the running surface at CSI. Especially if you get shin splints. Getting used to the hard surface now will help you later.
    Oh i definitely know how it feels lol, been running on strictly asphalt for the last month. I like doing csi though to give my knees a break. Its just so much easier to walk outside my door and run on asphalt than to drive to csi, but if people are doing group runs there im down

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh i definitely know how it feels lol, been running on strictly asphalt for the last month. I like doing csi though to give my knees a break. Its just so much easier to walk outside my door and run on asphalt than to drive to csi, but if people are doing group runs there im down
    They call the main road there the loop and it's about 3.5 or 4 miles. I ran on that a lot between classes. Clove Lakes park is a great run as well, especially if you do the trails.

Forum Member

They call the main road there the loop and it's about 3.5 or 4 miles. I ran on that a lot between classes. Clove Lakes park is a great run as well, especially if you do the trails.
    I need to do some trails, I've been running around my complex which is good because its the same size as a track,but doing circles is boring. Its just so convenient lol

Forum Member

That campus is so crowded now. I just graduated and every year its been getting worst. With all of the traffic and people rushing everywhere it would be pretty dangerous to run that road now lol.

Forum Member

I need to do some trails, I've been running around my complex which is good because its the same size as a track,but doing circles is boring. Its just so convenient lol
    I'm running on asphalt as well .... Shin splints are painful. What's good for shin splints ? I already have a good pair of running shoes. What else can I do ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I'm running on asphalt as well .... Shin splints are painful. What's good for shin splints ? I already have a good pair of running shoes. What else can I do ?
    Stretch and strengthen your calves. Stretch your heels also, all these can lessen it from occurring.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Stretching really good before running, a good cool down, and icing after each run works for me
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    lol, guilt her hard! Theres no lights out there! What you add by moving out there like 30-40 minutes to your commute right?
    Yea about 30-40 minutes, it's only 6-7 miles from where I used to live but there is no quick way to any parkways. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. For now I'll be damned if I move two blocks from the beach and don't get at least one summer season out of it lol.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Mine just kind of went away the more I ran. Ice after runs and stretching like everyones been saying. And aspirin. I never was a great runner anyway so I probably had some issues with my form that didn't help. If you have the same problem you should check into a few running websites for some tips. The PT at the Rock is rough as it is; you certainly don't want to have to deal with shin splints.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 02-25-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thread Information