Like Tree9544Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Mine just kind of went away the more I ran. Ice after runs and stretching like everyones been saying. And aspirin. I never was a great runner anyway so I probably had some issues with my form that didn't help. If you have the same problem you should check into a few running websites for some tips. The PT at the Rock is rough as it is; you certainly don't want to have to deal with shin splints.
    People refer to several different running injuries as 'shin splints' and after years of dealing with them (and with physical therapists) the most common causes I've found fall into 1. trying to increase mileage too quickly, 2. old running shoes. Don't try to go from zero miles to 15 miles at 8-minute pace immediately. It doesn't work. Be patient and build up.

I would recommend that you do NOT try to run through an injury. Fix the problem. Get new running shoes from a store like Jack Rabbit that can give you good expert advice on what you should be wearing. And if you are pained, ibuprofen, alternate ice and stretch, and relax.
    teufelhunden36 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Mine just kind of went away the more I ran. Ice after runs and stretching like everyones been saying. And aspirin. I never was a great runner anyway so I probably had some issues with my form that didn't help. If you have the same problem you should check into a few running websites for some tips. The PT at the Rock is rough as it is; you certainly don't want to have to deal with shin splints.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    People refer to several different running injuries as 'shin splints' and after years of dealing with them (and with physical therapists) the most common causes I've found fall into 1. trying to increase mileage too quickly, 2. old running shoes. Don't try to go from zero miles to 15 miles at 8-minute pace immediately. It doesn't work. Be patient and build up.

I would recommend that you do NOT try to run through an injury. Fix the problem. Get new running shoes from a store like Jack Rabbit that can give you good expert advice on what you should be wearing. And if you are pained, ibuprofen, alternate ice and stretch, and relax.
    Thank you guys .... I got my sneakers from jack rabbit .. And trust me I learned the hard way by increasing 1-3 in three days ... On my third day I couldn't walk ... My mind and heart wanted to run more my body couldn't though ... I try to add .05 - .10 of a mile at a time

Forum Member

They call the main road there the loop and it's about 3.5 or 4 miles. I ran on that a lot between classes. Clove Lakes park is a great run as well, especially if you do the trails.
    Really I never knew the loop was that big lol. I love running through clove lakes park. My favorite park on Staten Island. I run with an oxygen restricting make ****s tough.
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Does anyone know what number there up to on the list wanna guess how much longer
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    Does anyone know what number there up to on the list wanna guess how much longer
    Somewhere in the 700's. But you still have people from the EMT list eligible and who know's whats going to happen with the priority hires.
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Somewhere in the 700's. But you still have people from the EMT list eligible and who know's whats going to happen with the priority hires.
    Important to remember that they aren't "up to" any number on the OC list. They have sent packages to about 700 but not a single one is at the Rock now or guaranteed a seat in the academy for the July class. Way things shake out, #1 on the OC list might not be in the academy until January of 2014. I hope and expect that to not be the case, but sit tight. Things happen slowly and guesstimating will become more accurate once we know the composition of the July class.
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Bored at work, figured we could all talk about where we run and what cool trails anyone knows of. Be nice to run somewhere new because I'm tired of running the same route. I run in Charles Park in Howard Beach, it's a half mile blacktop walking path on Jamaica Bay. It's nice but I'm tired of running in circles. A nice park to run in is MacNeil Park in College Point, some nice paths right on Flushing Bay and with a nice view of the city. I used to run on the boardwalk in Long Beach when they still had a boardwalk.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I don't know if I'm missing something or if it is a paper I already filled out or what, but, for the Veteran's Credit it say I need to fill out the DP-152 form, what is that? Where is it in the packet? I don't know if I'm just over looking it or what.
    I dont have any DP-152 form in my packet. Page 3 of the FF Candidates Addendum sheet says that all you need to establish military credit is your DD-214. As long as the DD-214 shows that you served in a TIME of war, youre good to go. If youve served anytime within the last 20 years, then youre eligible.

You may be looking at page 21 of the CPD-B booklet. If thats the case then you should notice that the DP-152 is only one of 3 forms use can use to establish veteran credit. If you got the DD-214 then dont worry about the DP-152 or the DP-153.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Bored at work, figured we could all talk about where we run and what cool trails anyone knows of. Be nice to run somewhere new because I'm tired of running the same route. I run in Charles Park in Howard Beach, it's a half mile blacktop walking path on Jamaica Bay. It's nice but I'm tired of running in circles. A nice park to run in is MacNeil Park in College Point, some nice paths right on Flushing Bay and with a nice view of the city. I used to run on the boardwalk in Long Beach when they still had a boardwalk.
    I'm live in eny and be running in the streets of this beautiful neighborhood after work. If
    I finish work real early and beat early morning traffic I jump in the road bike
    Ride up to queens through Atlantic come down woodhaven/Crossbay back down to linden

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I'm live in eny and be running in the streets of this beautiful neighborhood after work. If
    I finish work real early and beat early morning traffic I jump in the road bike
    Ride up to queens through Atlantic come down woodhaven/Crossbay back down to linden
    I live in si, and walk right outside my door and do laps around my complex. Boring but gets the job done
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if childhood ADHD would affect me in the process with FDNY? I was on Ritalin for a few months when I was under 10 don't know exact age but this did impact me with NYPD. They never called me back or sent any paperwork so I called my investigator and she said I was DQ from the psych people and did provide any further info. The Dr did ask me to get further info on this and believe me I tried but these records that they want don't exists anymore I even spoke to the Dr I saw when I was a kid and he nor the school have any records of this. Since that I have served 5 years active coast guard and and six years in DC as a police officer. I'm worried that Pds DQ will knock me out because of this. Also to add nypd never even sent me a letter stating I was DQed nothing. I also explained that to the pysch Dr. So with that said what do you all think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    Does anyone know if childhood ADHD would affect me in the process with FDNY? I was on Ritalin for a few months when I was under 10 don't know exact age but this did impact me with NYPD. They never called me back or sent any paperwork so I called my investigator and she said I was DQ from the psych people and did provide any further info. The Dr did ask me to get further info on this and believe me I tried but these records that they want don't exists anymore I even spoke to the Dr I saw when I was a kid and he nor the school have any records of this. Since that I have served 5 years active coast guard and and six years in DC as a police officer. I'm worried that Pds DQ will knock me out because of this. Also to add nypd never even sent me a letter stating I was DQed nothing. I also explained that to the pysch Dr. So with that said what do you all think?

From what i've gathered over the life of this thread is that people have been DQ'd from NYPD psych and it did not effect them when it came to being hired by the FD
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Anyone know what the medical actually is, is it the stair mill? I know they check heart rate among other things, but do they do the stair mill like the CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Anyone know what the medical actually is, is it the stair mill? I know they check heart rate among other things, but do they do the stair mill like the CPAT?
    Read my previous posts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Read my previous posts.
    Ill look, I didn't know what page it was on. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Ill look, I didn't know what page it was on. Thanks!
    Click on my name and then "view forum posts". I'm sure I talked about it at some point.

Forum Member

This might be a stupid question for MM but how many push ups and sit ups should we be doing daily to prepare for the academy ?
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

quick question during the background investigation do they ask for any tax forms such as your W2? i know they do if you are applying for the residency credit but what if you aren't applying for those 5pts?

Forum Member

anyone one of you guys ride bicycles? if anyone wants to join me on a ride to nyack let me know, would love to meet some of you guys and gals. good way to blow steam and get a little exercise in.

Forum Member

This might be a stupid question for MM but how many push ups and sit ups should we be doing daily to prepare for the academy ?
    at the end of my "strength and conditioning" workouts I finish with 4 sets of 25 push ups. Which i would like to get to 4 sets of 50 before next year. Mind you this is the end of my workout and im pretty exhausted by the time i get to this. I was thinking of doing one day a week of sets of 20 as many as I could do with 1 minute breaks.

Do abs on cardio days. Who does sit ups anymore? So bad for the back. :-/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    Thats a pretty common story, especially since the economy tanked and they can be choosey. I have a feeling that this is mostly to with the gun PD gives you but I am not 100% sure.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thats a pretty common story, especially since the economy tanked and they can be choosey. I have a feeling that this is mostly to with the gun PD gives you but I am not 100% sure.
    I think you hit it on the nose the first time. PD has become very chosey ever since they raised the the starting pay from $25,000 in 2008. Before that, barely anyone could afford to apply for that job so they were kind of more lenient back then. I know guys in my Guard unit that got on PD before 2008 with issues that other guys cant get on with now. With that said i dont think a DQ from PD will be a problem in this process.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Yeah before that contract was a different story. I know people personally who got on then who might not get on now.

I wonder if the specific issue is a problem on FD?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-25-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    at the end of my "strength and conditioning" workouts I finish with 4 sets of 25 push ups. Which i would like to get to 4 sets of 50 before next year. Mind you this is the end of my workout and im pretty exhausted by the time i get to this. I was thinking of doing one day a week of sets of 20 as many as I could do with 1 minute breaks.

Do abs on cardio days. Who does sit ups anymore? So bad for the back. :-/
    Bad for the back yes, does the academy care no haha
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Bad for the back yes, does the academy care no haha
    me personally dont see the need to do them before the academy. Ill be able to do enough to NOT get into remedial, and i dont plan on doing one sit up after probie school.

Why put the extra strain on ur back? know what i mean?

Thread Information