Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Did someone answer that question regarding the whole statement vs just 1st page with address and date I have both but it's the difference of 100 or so pages. Just curious
    This, I remember specifically my Time Warner bill was two pages of the actual bill but 8-10 pages of advertisements and legal stuff.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Did someone answer that question regarding the whole statement vs just 1st page with address and date I have both but it's the difference of 100 or so pages. Just curious
    No answer yet, unless my investigator wants to see how often I frequent Qdoba I'm guessing we only need the first page.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    That's really awesome, and I def agree about CF. That said, if you really haven't run in 3 months, and your first time out you chop 2 minutes from your 1.5 mile time and ran 6 minute mile pace for 9 minutes, you're BEGGING for an injury. I'd suggest moderation. Just because your cardio has improved enough for you to run that time doesn't mean that you aren't abusing the hell out of leg muscles you haven't used for months.
    I can see that but I would hardly say these are leg muscles I haven't used in months my legs have never bn stronger or felt not like I have been laying on my couch eating pop tarts .... When a lion chases a gazelle does he stretch out first to limber up or worry about the last time he chased after one no man he just goes in for the kill..... Lol just having fun w the last part but think about it
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Exam# 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    I can see that but I would hardly say these are leg muscles I haven't used in months my legs have never bn stronger or felt not like I have been laying on my couch eating pop tarts .... When a lion chases a gazelle does he stretch out first to limber up or worry about the last time he chased after one no man he just goes in for the kill..... Lol just having fun w the last part but think about it

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XPCxL3ggDz...-here-meme.png

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    If you only knew
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed

Forum Member

If you only knew
    Ps I had sex with your wife
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed

Forum Member

Jokes on you........I'm not married!
    zachryw2001 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

If you only knew

Ps I had sex with your wife
    Hahaha, seeing as how you are quoting yourself, you had sex with your own wife? BURN!
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    List # 12XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any ideas for sightseeing/places to go where I can take my daughters (under 5). Just trying to plan my trip for next week and was hoping to get some advice. Well be in town the 7th through the 11th if that helps.

Thanks
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Jokes on you........I'm not married!
    Got me...took a shot
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas for sightseeing/places to go where I can take my daughters (under 5). Just trying to plan my trip for next week and was hoping to get some advice. Well be in town the 7th through the 11th if that helps.

Thanks
    Can't go wrong with the Museum of Natural History. Took my 5 year old niece there and she loved it, right by central park too if the weather is nice.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Thanks
    Seconded Museum of Natural History and Central Park, plus that is just a nice area to walk around in general. Maybe take them down to Ground Zero....show them what motivates their dad to do what he does.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Museum of Natural History. Took my 5 year old niece there and she loved it, right by central park too if the weather is nice.
    Thanks man.

Anyone have any mom and pop type restaurants that they can recommend or at least something unique. Always looking for a good Mexican place, if anyone knows one.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Harry's Burritos - 71st and Columbus

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    Seconded Museum of Natural History and Central Park, plus that is just a nice area to walk around in general. Maybe take them down to Ground Zero....show them what motivates their dad to do what he does.
    Already have passes to go to 9/11 memorial. Debating on whether taking my youngest, she's almost 2, just because she has no volume control on her mouth but extremely loud and just don't want her to disturb others or be disrespectful.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Thanks man.

Anyone have any mom and pop type restaurants that they can recommend or at least something unique. Always looking for a good Mexican place, if anyone knows one.
    Not mexican, but in terms of food that would be fun for your kids if you make your way downtown:

crazy good mac n' cheese joint

http://www.smacnyc.com/

rice pudding place (looks like their site is being worked on at the moment, so here's yelp)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rice-to-riches-new-york

peanut butter and jelly place that they'd most likely dig

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/sandwichshop

(I swear to god I'm like 13 yrs old at heart)
    zachryw2001 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not mexican, but in terms of food that would be fun for your kids if you make your way downtown:

crazy good mac n' cheese joint

http://www.smacnyc.com/

rice pudding place (looks like their site is being worked on at the moment, so here's yelp)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rice-to-riches-new-york

peanut butter and jelly place that they'd most likely dig

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/sandwichshop

(I swear to god I'm like 13 yrs old at heart)
    Pb&j and Mac n cheese are their favorite foods so thanks.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

No problem...

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys, a quick note on crossfit. I personally don't care for it, mostly because the people who run it are like a cult. If it's your workout of choice, enjoy. But keep in mind you WILL NOT be doing Olympic lifts or any of the other stuff you see them do on youtube. You WILL be doing plenty of running and a lot of low weight, high rep workouts. You might want to stick to that. Also, crossfit has a tendency to hurt you and the last thing you want is to get an academy date and not be able to go because you hurt yourself doing the latest workout fad.
    ffbam24 and BrooklynBorn like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Convict65USMC View Post
    @zachryw2001, you mentioned you were out of state, turn on your PM's I sent you a message.
    He had it off?
    K checking now
    I sent you a reply to your message, did you get it? It was a few days ago....

Forum Member

zachryw2001 where ya staying?

Also I'd say Central Park and Natural History Museum are obvious good choices. I can attest to the awesomeness of S'mac and the Peanut Butter Company. Used to work that area as a medic, both are awesome places to eat.

For mexican... my favorite places in Manhattan are actually a taco truck company, and some small no frills places.

The trucks are Tacos el Idolo, and are usually located at W14th/8th Ave, Washington Pl/6th Ave, and St Marks Pl/3rd Ave. http://newyorkstreetfood.com/tag/el-idolo-taco-truck/

Then there's Oaxaca Taqueria and they have 2 spots in Manhattan, both in the village. http://oaxacatacos.com/

Another place I really like that is in the East Village is Paquito's: http://www.yelp.com/biz/paquitos-restaurant-new-york-5

If you feel down for a burger Shake Shack is a standard destination, and while I find it to be a bit overhyped, their burgers and fries are very good, and there's now a number of locations.

If you do a day downtown at the WTC you could also ham it up as a tourist and stop by 10 house, since it's RIGHT there. That's also very close to Battery Park, which is always nice, and the South Street Seaport, which is a bit kitscy but still a neat place. Other options down there are to stop by the NY Fire Museum on Spring St, or the NY Fire Store on Greenwich Ave. Even though the Fire Store isn't affiliated with the city, it's family owned and they're very nice people.

Unfortunately, as you can probably tell, years of working and going out in lower Manhattan has made that my area of expertise.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Guys, a quick note on crossfit. I personally don't care for it, mostly because the people who run it are like a cult. If it's your workout of choice, enjoy. But keep in mind you WILL NOT be doing Olympic lifts or any of the other stuff you see them do on youtube. You WILL be doing plenty of running and a lot of low weight, high rep workouts. You might want to stick to that. Also, crossfit has a tendency to hurt you and the last thing you want is to get an academy date and not be able to go because you hurt yourself doing the latest workout fad.
    Without getting into a ****ing match with you I just want to say that your wrong. Olympic lifts build explosiveness and power and are much more efficient than any other weight training. Which would allow someone to motor thru any high rep workout considering the Olympic lifts are separated from the metabolic conditioning aspect of most crossfit workouts they are done separately. Also that's a general statement about injury any exercise program done improperly or recklessly will eventually lead to an injury. And it is definitely not a fad it has been around for a while and unlike Taebo or 8 minute abs (fads) I would say it has a much more proven track record. But I will agree with you on one thing Totally a Cult.
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed

Forum Member

Overheard an instructor talking at the rock...

Should the current class keep up its academic pace(which will mean many getting failed out academically) that there will only be something around 150 guys or less graduating. As such the Dept is trying to get the city to sign off on putting another class in right after this one graduates in may that will only include the rest of EMS and possibly some pHs.

Sucks
    vekdoggs75 and OAK like this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Without getting into a ****ing match with you I just want to say that your wrong. Olympic lifts build explosiveness and power and are much more efficient than any other weight training. Which would allow someone to motor thru any high rep workout considering the Olympic lifts are separated from the metabolic conditioning aspect of most crossfit workouts they are done separately. Also that's a general statement about injury any exercise program done improperly or recklessly will eventually lead to an injury. And it is definitely not a fad it has been around for a while and unlike Taebo or 8 minute abs (fads) I would say it has a much more proven track record. But I will agree with you on one thing Totally a Cult.
    No shouting match necessary. But I'm not wrong. You WILL NOT touch a weight heavier than 10 lbs at the Rock. You certainly will not perform any sort of Olympic lifts. It isn't that these aren't good things to do; it's that the workout at the Rock is its own thing entirely. My humble advice is to stick to that one thing. You will note someone on here admits to not doing as well on the situp test because he was too used to doing things the cross fit way.

As far as injury, you have a significantly less chance of hurting yourself with a 10 lbs dumbbell than you do tossing a barbell with 45 lbs plates on it over your head. The cult thing is scary, though. People who do this workout are absolutely astonished that not everybody likes it. It is indeed a fad, designed to get your money from your pocket. Pick three or four exercises, do them in order at high speed with poor form, and you have crossfit. No need to pay anybody for that. But do as you will.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 03-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Thread Information