Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 326 of 1169 FirstFirst ... 226276316323324325326327328329336376426826 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,520 of 23372
Like Tree9143Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Why does it seem like everytime I come on here to check for new info or updates someone else is arguing about something? Thought we were on here to help each other out? Listen to the guys who are on the job or going threw the process and that should be that. Don't see what good running your mouth on a computer is doing. This isn't targeted towards anyone imparticular. Just saying!!

Forum Member

Hey guys, new to forum and love what this thread is about minus the arguing. Looking forward to hopefully being in the academy with some of you and one day working together.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 104
    List: 2XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Are you a FDNY firefighter? If not please don't tell me what this job is about or not. Most of these people are quitting because they not physically ready for the academy not because they want to admit this job isn't for them my man......
    no i'm not fdny but i am in iaff member and i am in a career dept. I know exactly what this job is! You don't know why someone quits, this job isn't just doing push ups and running trails. If someone decides to walk away cause they decide it isn't for them they should be able to do so with dignity. You don't know what goes thru someone's mind as they decide this isn't for them, i'm just saying before you start shaking your head at them realize that it's a very tough job that isn't for everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    no i'm not fdny but i am in iaff member and i am in a career dept. I know exactly what this job is! You don't know why someone quits, this job isn't just doing push ups and running trails. If someone decides to walk away cause they decide it isn't for them they should be able to do so with dignity. You don't know what goes thru someone's mind as they decide this isn't for them, i'm just saying before you start shaking your head at them realize that it's a very tough job that isn't for everyone.
    I'm not a firefighter but I'm sure you don't learn what this job is really about until you get to a firehouse. The academy is just meant to give you a sneak preview of the hard work you might be dealing out in the "real world". You not dealing with real victims nor your life really at risk for someone you don't even know in the academy. So yes most of these guys quit because the academy is physically tough wether you in shape or not.
    Last edited by Jukez; 01-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Member

I'm not a firefighter but I'm sure you don't learn what this job is really about until you get to a firehouse. The academy is just meant to give you a sneak preview of the hard work you might be dealing out in the "real world". You not dealing with real victims nor your life really at risk for someone you don't even know in the academy. So yes most of these guys quit because the academy is physically tough wether you in shape or not.
    Look Jukes, maybe they were in shape or not we don't know. All i'm saying is someone might have put on gear and a mask and freaked. They might have done a smokehouse maze and freaked. They might not have ever been in a para military structure or anything structured before and couldn't deal with it. I'm not saying alot goes with it to imply, you have no idea cause you never did the job, i'm saying you may discover fears and faults in the academy you never knew you had. To some the whole experience is a shock to the system. Not everyone is as gun ho as you and/or a workout junkie like you jukes. Some people have no idea whats in store when you go into the academy all that considered this job might not be everyone.
    Also trust me when i say in the academy you will make some of you best friends you'll have you entire career and you'll be all about risking your life for them.
    IronFireE5 likes this.

Forum Member

Look Jukes, maybe they were in shape or not we don't know. All i'm saying is someone might have put on gear and a mask and freaked. They might have done a smokehouse maze and freaked. They might not have ever been in a para military structure or anything structured before and couldn't deal with it. I'm not saying alot goes with it to imply, you have no idea cause you never did the job, i'm saying you may discover fears and faults in the academy you never knew you had. To some the whole experience is a shock to the system. Not everyone is as gun ho as you and/or a workout junkie like you jukes. Some people have no idea whats in store when you go into the academy all that considered this job might not be everyone.
    Also trust me when i say in the academy you will make some of you best friends you'll have you entire career and you'll be all about risking your life for them.
    I'm going to break the vow I made to myself to not post here until this thing is done with just to say that no, he's pretty much on the money with everything he's said. See y'all in May.

Forum Member

Ok ok. I'll stop jumping into conclusions (although they are all true). You might be right about the fear thing. I myself have been getting myself pumped up to face one of my biggest fears in the academy ( not going to say what it is so people don't laugh lol ). Maybe I just need a break from the forums for a while, I'm way too anxious and pumped for these upcoming months!! Sorry everyone. Lets all just group hug
    I3akdraf likes this.

I'm guessing heights.
    Either way. There's always quite a few that come through that do. The first response from the instructors was usually, "Guess you're not going to a truck." (And no, it wasn't me.)
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Ok ok. I'll stop jumping into conclusions (although they are all true). You might be right about the fear thing. I myself have been getting myself pumped up to face one of my biggest fears in the academy ( not going to say what it is so people don't laugh lol ). Maybe I just need a break from the forums for a while, I'm way too anxious and pumped for these upcoming months!! Sorry everyone. Lets all just group hug

Your list number is right around mine if I recall correctly. Try not to psych yourself out and get too excited about anything coming our way in the next few months dude. That is in no way to say stop training. Just try and be realistic here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Your list number is right around mine if I recall correctly. Try not to psych yourself out and get too excited about anything coming our way in the next few months dude. That is in no way to say stop training. Just try and be realistic here.
    I wasn't referring for us to start the process, but the OC list to actually get it going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I'm guessing heights.
    Either way. There's always quite a few that come through that do. The first response from the instructors was usually, "Guess you're not going to a truck." (And no, it wasn't me.)
    This guy..... Lol.

Forum Member

As long as its not mimes.......or spiders, you'll be just fine!
    vekdoggs75, mocon337 and Jukez like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I'm guessing heights.
    I'm terrified of heights..I will admit it now, I've rappelled, climbed the 35..just hate heights..

Forum Member

FDsouthbxNY, very well said!!!!!! It's not about "getting yours". It's about earning yours. I'm sitting at # 58xx with a 98 and no points. And when I get on and complete academy it will be because I worked my axx off to earn the right to be a part of the FDNY! This post goes out everyone who has and will continue to work for and earn "theirs". Not just looking to get something handed to them.
    Last edited by profeshffd; 01-27-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Forum Member

anyone else bummed that we are not getting academy info from our paramedic friends? feel like we were getting more info on the academy when there was no class smh
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    anyone else bummed that we are not getting academy info from our paramedic friends? feel like we were getting more info on the academy when there was no class smh
    Lol I feel you man. They have to focus on the task at hand!

I hope you guys that are at the top of the oc list start the process soon. Good luck to everyone
    Fdny Exam 2000
    List # 3***

Forum Member
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    Ok, now that's some bull****. I'll be ****in appalled if that **** ever comes to fruition.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

No surprise there, I've mentioned this when our list numbers came out. I guess now firefighters can sit at the diner table with a child rapest together
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Nope, not bummed at all because I actually know an EMT in the academy right now. Good to know we don't have pay for the issued gear (at least right away) unlike the NYPD. Although its entirely possible it was already deducted from their first paycheck already. They are already doing hands on stuff... He's studying all the material from the books this weekend. He has to learn to make several type of knots like the bowline, half hitches, clove hitch etc. They already repelled off a 6 story building. He said they about to go and do fire fighting simulations already. They spend the majority time outside in the sub freezing temps... I can only imagine how much that sucks. 18 people have already been dropped and it's not even February yet.

They don't ease you into things. It's intense, get mentally prepared to enter a world of suck and expect to be worked hard from day one.
    FDsouthbxNY, My1Goal, OAK and 1 others like this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List #17XX

Thread Information