Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Overheard an instructor talking at the rock...

Should the current class keep up its academic pace(which will mean many getting failed out academically) that there will only be something around 150 guys or less graduating. As such the Dept is trying to get the city to sign off on putting another class in right after this one graduates in may that will only include the rest of EMS and possibly some pHs.

Sucks
    The academic situation still isn't great... but I hope that's a bit of an overestimation. We've lost 26 so far, and while I know we're going to lose more after the midterm, I can't see it being 140.

As for the idea of shotgunning another class, considering the fact that the next class could very well just be made up of EMS/PH people regardless of when they put it in, I wouldn't let that get you down that much. The important thing... which I don't think any of us still really know is when does the clock start ticking for 2000. If it hasn't started yet then relax and be patient, they'll get to you guys.
    nick0525 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Should the current class keep up its academic pace(which will mean many getting failed out academically) that there will only be something around 150 guys or less graduating. As such the Dept is trying to get the city to sign off on putting another class in right after this one graduates in may that will only include the rest of EMS and possibly some pHs.

Sucks
    Don't get too wound up. That would be an historic failure rate. If that many guys are failing out, something is wrong at the instruction level. I really don't think half that class will fail. Don't worry about stuff you can't control; keep training and out of trouble and you'll be there before you know it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The academic situation still isn't great... but I hope that's a bit of an overestimation. We've lost 26 so far, and while I know we're going to lose more after the midterm, I can't see it being 140.

As for the idea of shotgunning another class, considering the fact that the next class could very well just be made up of EMS/PH people regardless of when they put it in, I wouldn't let that get you down that much. The important thing... which I don't think any of us still really know is when does the clock start ticking for 2000. If it hasn't started yet then relax and be patient, they'll get to you guys.
    If that many did fail after midterm, hypothetically, would they be recycled into the next class or go back to EMS?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Sucks

wouldnt put much stock in it. The PHs are taking the CPAT with us, they most likely wouldnt be ready in time for a May class.

Edit: Also, the court ruling didn't say the PHs have complete priority over OC. They aren't like EMS, they have to be hired with OC at a 2 AA, 1 Hispanic for every 5 rate.
    vekdoggs75 and nick0525 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    No shouting match necessary. But I'm not wrong. You WILL NOT touch a weight heavier than 10 lbs at the Rock. You certainly will not perform any sort of Olympic lifts. It isn't that these aren't good things to do; it's that the workout at the Rock is its own thing entirely. My humble advice is to stick to that one thing. You will note someone on here admits to not doing as well on the situp test because he was too used to doing things the cross fit way.

As far as injury, you have a significantly less chance of hurting yourself with a 10 lbs dumbbell than you do tossing a barbell with 45 lbs plates on it over your head. The cult thing is scary, though. People who do this workout are absolutely astonished that not everybody likes it. It is indeed a fad, designed to get your money from your pocket. Pick three or four exercises, do them in order at high speed with poor form, and you have crossfit. No need to pay anybody for that. But do as you will.
    An extreme oversimplification and poor form is not accepted as only reps w proper form are counted but let's just agree to disagree
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

Correct, the failure rate certainly won't be that high. Still for such simple academics, I'm amazed that the class is having such trouble. I find that VERY disappointing. Tell your classmates.....GET INTO THE JOB! Otherwise, go back to the bus. We do a lot of verbal critic of every incident and understanding terminology and such is key.

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    An extreme oversimplification and poor form is not accepted as only reps w proper form are counted but let's just agree to disagree
    Disagree with what? He's right. You won't lift anything over ten lbs, so why risk injury on the heavy stuff?
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I have absolute faith in the instructors..but how can you compensate for 50 plus pounds of PPE, tools, equipment, etc with 10 pound dumbells? I'm guessing alot of working out/ walking in gear? In the Army, our platoon Sgt would make us run miles every day in body armor, pro masks etc... Good training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, and I have absolute faith in the instructors..but how can you compensate for 50 plus pounds of PPE, tools, equipment, etc with 10 pound dumbells? I'm guessing alot of working out/ walking in gear? In the Army, our platoon Sgt would make us run miles every day in body armor, pro masks etc... Good training.
    Your platoon sergeant sounds like a zealot on a power trip. That's the kind of PT that hurts people, and thus operations. The fitness instructors at the Rock are exactly that...fitness instructors. They know exactly what they're doing. And there will come a time, even if it's just for a minute or two, where you're going to wonder how in the hell a little 10 lbs dumbbell imparts such pain. Don't base physical fitness on what the crossfit cult or that insanity clown tell you. Follow the guys at the academy and you'll be fine.

Forum Member

I'm not arguing that you won't lift anything over 10 lbs but to say that there is a higher risk of injury From Lifting heavier weight (properly) is just plain false. Both of u guys have bn through the rock an have time on the job so u would know better than me but wouldn't raw strength and power greatly benefit you when wearing x amount of lbs of gear dragging a length of hose up a flight of stairs compared to doing 50 curls with a 10 lb dumbell. My point is you do not need to exactly duplicate the workout done at the rock to succeed thru it that is alll
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

How's it going guys and gals? I have a situation in which I need some advice. I have recently been offered a firefighting job in westchester( I'm not going to disclose what town). My main goal has and will always be to be a member of the FDNY. With my current list number I should be in the FDNY July class if everything goes well, but we all know that the city and courts can just pull that opportunity right from under you as we seen with the guys from 6019. This is my second job offer, the first being Philadelphia fire department, not many people get offers to be fireman and I have been fortunate to have two. I do not want to keep pushing my luck. I turned down Philly( due to the burden it will be on my family) and if I turn down westchester this will be the second time I turned down a FF position. We all know that the economy is pretty bad, but with July being so close I don't feel it is right for me to accept a job offer in westchester to then just quit two months later to join the FDNY. I feel that will be disrespectful, rude, and a waste of a spot for another potential candidate. Any advice? appreciate any response and good luck to everyone in the process right now and in the future.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not arguing that you won't lift anything over 10 lbs but to say that there is a higher risk of injury From Lifting heavier weight (properly) is just plain false. Both of u guys have bn through the rock an have time on the job so u would know better than me but wouldn't raw strength and power greatly benefit you when wearing x amount of lbs of gear dragging a length of hose up a flight of stairs compared to doing 50 curls with a 10 lb dumbell. My point is you do not need to exactly duplicate the workout done at the rock to succeed thru it that is alll
    I have seen crossfit workouts and ALL of them (the ones I saw) employ momentum based movements at high speed. This is how you get hurt when dealing with a heavy weight. Just about every personal trainer I've met says the form for crossfit is bad news based on the speed at which the lifts are done. Looks cool on camera, but offers little more benefit than just lifting like a normal person.

Raw strength and power IS quite useful on the firefloor. But good, heavy squats and deadlifts done at the proper speed with the proper amount of rest will cover that. You don't need much power to hump hose up stairs; you need endurance, which is exactly what 50 curls at 10 lbs provides. Doesn't look cool on youtube videos, but its how you'll be trained. These are not amateurs at the fitness unit. All of them are certified trainers and they care about turning out a quality product.

If you like crossfit, go for it. But you would be much better served by low weight high rep workouts followed by interval runs for purpose of getting through the academy.
    ffbam24 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    How's it going guys and gals? I have a situation in which I need some advice. I have recently been offered a firefighting job in westchester( I'm not going to disclose what town). My main goal has and will always be to be a member of the FDNY. With my current list number I should be in the FDNY July class if everything goes well, but we all know that the city and courts can just pull that opportunity right from under you as we seen with the guys from 6019. This is my second job offer, the first being Philadelphia fire department, not many people get offers to be fireman and I have been fortunate to have two. I do not want to keep pushing my luck. I turned down Philly( due to the burden it will be on my family) and if I turn down westchester this will be the second time I turned down a FF position. We all know that the economy is pretty bad, but with July being so close I don't feel it is right for me to accept a job offer in westchester to then just quit two months later to join the FDNY. I feel that will be disrespectful, rude, and a waste of a spot for another potential candidate. Any advice? appreciate any response and good luck to everyone in the process right now and in the future.
    If you want to be on this job, then this job should be your only goal. If you think you'll be hired in July, then go for it and to hell with Philly and westchester.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    If you want to be on this job, then this job should be your only goal. If you think you'll be hired in July, then go for it and to hell with Philly and westchester.
    Thanks for the advice. I was honestly thinking the same thing. Just needed to be sure I'm not crazy. Good luck everyone.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. I was honestly thinking the same thing. Just needed to be sure I'm not crazy. Good luck everyone.
    Waiting on this job will drive you nuts. If you have a good list number, no background problems and the right attitude you WILL get on. Don't make yourself crazy worrying about when. Good luck.

Forum Member

I don't know what town or city in westchester, but the only one that I would consider is Yonkers FD. Other than that, I would hold off for FDNY. Yonkers pays well, and is like a mini city, that can be very busy. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Forum Member

I don't know what your list number is, but in my opinion you should NOT assume you'll be in the July class unless you are EMS, priority hire, or maybe the top 100 OC. Anything else is certainly possible but FAR from probable. So if you are top 300-400 or whatever, and that other class starts soon... Consider it. Worst case scenario is you burn a bridge in Yonkers. Cest la vie.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Anyone on the OC list get their dates for CPAT yet?
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Convict65USMC View Post
    Anyone on the OC list get their dates for CPAT yet?
    You guys only just started the training classes, it's gonna be a month or two before you hear about the actual test dates.

MembersZone Subscriber

@MM

Thanks for the ideas, really appreciate it.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

@MM thanks
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    @MM

Thanks for the ideas, really appreciate it.
    No problem. I remembered more good mexican: http://dostoros.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

The step mill portion of the medical has the same rules as the CPAT (can't touch sides, etc.) correct?
    And it's 50lbs for 5 minutes @ 60 steps/min while no going over 90% of your max heart rate(220-age)*.9

Just trying to make sure I'm training appropriately for it. If you fail it's 8 mins with no regards to heart rate?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    The step mill portion of the medical has the same rules as the CPAT (can't touch sides, etc.) correct?
    And it's 50lbs for 5 minutes @ 60 steps/min while no going over 90% of your max heart rate(220-age)*.9

Just trying to make sure I'm training appropriately for it. If you fail it's 8 mins with no regards to heart rate?
    You do 3 minutes or so with no vest, then 5 minute break, then the 5 minutes 12 seconds with the vest.

If you have to do it a second time I believe it's the same exact conditions, except you are monitored by a department doctor, and if your heart rate is too high again they will have you stay on for an extra 3 minutes and pass/fail you based on how well you appear to handle it.
    zachryw2001 and Ext. 17 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

@MM thanks
    nycthirteen likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Thread Information