Like Tree9511Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

the PHs are starting to get their medical dates. No idea when they were notified or when their meds begin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    the PHs are starting to get their medical dates. No idea when they were notified or when their meds begin.
    Just curious when they found out.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Just curious when they found out.
    me too..I don't think they got their dates until after CPAT orientations were completed (just a guess), or else that prob would have been mentioned at some point during the sessions. Sounded like maybe earlier this week, but again just speculation.

MembersZone Subscriber

me too..I don't think they got their dates until after CPAT orientations were completed (just a guess), or else that prob would have been mentioned at some point during the sessions. Sounded like maybe earlier this week, but again just speculation.
    Do you know a ph or did you just happen to here through the grapevine?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Do you know a ph or did you just happen to here through the grapevine?
    At the CPAT session this AM the Lt. in charge of training said "I believe the PHs have started to get their medical dates" and one guy who was a PH shook his head in agreement.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when the first investigations start??? First or second week in March?

Forum Member

At the CPAT session this AM the Lt. in charge of training said "I believe the PHs have started to get their medical dates" and one guy who was a PH shook his head in agreement.
    The PHs have started taking medicals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Does anyone know when the first investigations start??? First or second week in March?
    They started in late February.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

how many people do you guys think are going to take the next EMS promotion exam? it seems like every long island boy that didn't score well is talking about going to ems

MembersZone Subscriber

Misread the question.....
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 03-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    how many people do you guys think are going to take the next EMS promotion exam? it seems like every long island boy that didn't score well is talking about going to ems
    I think it will be a lot, but I'd be surprised if it was as many as on this one. Only time will tell though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    How's it going guys and gals? I have a situation in which I need some advice. I have recently been offered a firefighting job in westchester( I'm not going to disclose what town). My main goal has and will always be to be a member of the FDNY. With my current list number I should be in the FDNY July class if everything goes well, but we all know that the city and courts can just pull that opportunity right from under you as we seen with the guys from 6019. This is my second job offer, the first being Philadelphia fire department, not many people get offers to be fireman and I have been fortunate to have two. I do not want to keep pushing my luck. I turned down Philly( due to the burden it will be on my family) and if I turn down westchester this will be the second time I turned down a FF position. We all know that the economy is pretty bad, but with July being so close I don't feel it is right for me to accept a job offer in westchester to then just quit two months later to join the FDNY. I feel that will be disrespectful, rude, and a waste of a spot for another potential candidate. Any advice? appreciate any response and good luck to everyone in the process right now and in the future.
    Take whichever pays the most money and whichever will give you the best commute. Your love for fdny will not pay the bills vs if the other dept you applied for has a top pay that's 20k higher

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Take whichever pays the most money and whichever will give you the best commute. Your love for fdny will not pay the bills vs if the other dept you applied for has a top pay that's 20k higher
    Don't be so short sighted. Even if pay might be higher somewhere else, does it have the same opportunities for lateral and upward movement?
    zachryw2001 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The academic situation still isn't great... but I hope that's a bit of an overestimation. We've lost 26 so far, and while I know we're going to lose more after the midterm, I can't see it being 140.

As for the idea of shotgunning another class, considering the fact that the next class could very well just be made up of EMS/PH people regardless of when they put it in, I wouldn't let that get you down that much. The important thing... which I don't think any of us still really know is when does the clock start ticking for 2000. If it hasn't started yet then relax and be patient, they'll get to you guys.
    Hello, do you happen to know or have any idea why there's that many people failing the academy?

Forum Member

I think it will be a lot, but I'd be surprised if it was as many as on this one. Only time will tell though.
    Depends on how long before they give another promotional exam but it will be a lot. About half of the 150 guys in the academy with me now are all there because they want fire. There's suppose to be at least two more classes of 150 going in after this one and I imagine the statistics will be the same.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDragonNY View Post
    Hello, do you happen to know or have any idea why there's that many people failing the academy?
    I do but unfortunately I won't be sharing my opinion on the matter in such a public place. Best I can say is when you get there you gotta hit the books hard.

Forum Member

Article on the current class.. Mentions huge failing rate but no mention on changing the next class or trying to rush a class immediately after this one.

Court-ordered FDNY class flaming out
    By BRAD HAMILTON
    Last Updated: 6:45 AM, March 3, 2013
    They’re New York’s Fattest.
    The Fire Department’s new class of recruits — all current city EMTs or paramedics who want to become firefighters — are flaming out fast, failing the Fire Academy in record numbers, according to FDNY sources.
    As many as 30 of the 318 probationary trainees — who are older, weaker and fatter than those in previous years — have already quit, and more are expected to drop out before their 18-week course on Randalls Island concludes in May, the sources said.
    During the first week of the academy, 166 of the probies flunked the physical-fitness test — which requires four pull-ups, 30 push-ups in one minute, 30 sit-ups in one minute and a 1.5-mile run in 12 minutes.
    Recruits are required to pass the physical-fitness test in order to graduate.
    “There are a lot of people saying this is the worst FDNY class in the department’s history,” said a source.
    The oversized and under-performing candidates will be given remedial physical training. They’ll also catch a break on the running requirements, according to one high-ranking FDNY insider.
    “They’re allowing them to do it in 13 or 14 minutes,” he said.
    The Academy class, the first in the FDNY since 2008, was formed after a federal judge forced the department to become more racially diverse, finding that its recruitment practices discriminated against minorities.
    So FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano excluded applicants from the general population for this Academy class, limiting the pool to medics, whose ranks include a higher percentage of minorities than is found in firehouses.
    This year’s class is the most diverse ever — 42 percent are black, Hispanic or Asian, and six are women.
    But they were rated only on a written exam. In years past, applicants had to score high on both a written and a physical test.
    About 870 medics took the written test and were ranked by score. But 300 were dropped after failing a cardiovascular stress test on a stair-climbing machine, sources said.
    More flunked out when they failed to complete an obstacle course in time, failing at such tasks as dragging a hose and a weighted dummy, carrying equipment, and raising a ladder. Insiders note this Candidate Physical Ability Test is less challenging than the one required for graduation.
    So instead of plucking the cream of the EMT crop, the department “had to keep going farther down the list,” a source said.
    “On the open exam for the general public, only candidates who score a 97 are likely to be called,” said the source. “But because so many of this class flunked their StairMaster, [scores] went as low as 72.”
    Veteran firefighters are fuming over the quality of the new recruits.
    “Seems to me that the EMS Promotional Candidates came to work unprepared and half of them out of shape,” posted “Duke” on firefighter-complaint Web site FDNY Rant.
    “Fatbodies!” wrote “queenstl.” A retired city medic wasn’t surprised by the flabby failures.
    “EMS people are fat — we’re like the AV squad at school,” he told The Post. “You sit in an ambulance for 8 to 16 hours a day. When are you supposed to exercise?”
    A quartermaster was overheard saying about the new class, “I’ve never given out so many size-38 pants before.”
    The department’s own EMS Academy head, Lt. David Russell, admitted in a 2011 report that even when FDNY recruits from EMS got extra help, “the overall fitness of these recruits is still poor.”
    Cassano seemed to acknowledge this when he told the class, “The next 18 weeks will be the most difficult of your life and will push you like never before.”
    The 318 entered the academy on Jan. 15 — and quickly began dropping out. Four left on Jan. 30, including a 29-year-old from Brooklyn who notched the highest written-exam score, a 100.
    At least one man left because he didn’t realize he’d be taking a pay cut.
    A first-year firefighter makes $39,370, more than $4,000 a year less than the paramedic’s starting salary of $43,690. EMTs start at $31,981.
    FDNY spokesman Frank Gribbon acknowledged the losses. “We’ve got people dropping out — every day it changes, almost. I don’t have exact numbers.”
    He claimed the rate was “about the same as it usually is,” then conceded it might be “slightly higher” this year. Yet he defended the fitness of the class.

MembersZone Subscriber

They’ll also catch a break on the running requirements, according to one high-ranking FDNY insider.

Just curious if this part is true. If it is then that is sad. Everybody promotional, OC, PHs knew in October when he list came out that they needed to start training. Anyone with no cardio can run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful but that's how I feel. In less than 3 months I helped my brother, who couldn't even run a mile without walking, run 2 miles in 13:57. It's all in how hard you train and how bad you want it.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

They’ll also catch a break on the running requirements, according to one high-ranking FDNY insider.

Just curious if this part is true. If it is then that is sad. Everybody promotional, OC, PHs knew in October when he list came out that they needed to start training. Anyone with no cardio can run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful but that's how I feel. In less than 3 months I helped my brother, who couldn't even run a mile without walking, run 2 miles in 13:57. It's all in how hard you train and how bad you want it.
    These guys are getting chances left and right, a promotion friend of mine told me that there's a big bunch of guys in the academy who still can't do a single pull up. That just ****es me off when there's so many people off the OC list who are more than ready.

I don't care if is a promotion, someone who scores less than a 90 on this test from ems is just as unqualified as someone off the OC list who also scored the same.
    Last edited by Jukez; 03-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    IronFireE5 and Blinkster like this.

Forum Member

What a joke this current class is. Not only are they failing physically but academically. I guess it is not an instructor issue as one member stated on this forum. Furthermore, some are evem droppinv out based om salary differences. Yeah, these guys really want to be firefighters. While at my intake interview last week, I hear guys stating it is time to work out since they havent started to prepare themselves physically.
    Last edited by almostthere; 03-03-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    These guys are getting chances left and right, a promotion friend of mine told me that there's a big bunch of guys in the academy who still can't do a single pull up.
    I have no idea if the running thing is true. Considering the pace/distances we're usually doing in PT I would expect nearly all of the class should be capable of doing the necessary 1.5 in 12. Pullups are another matter though.

I'd like to point out to those that can't read between the line that the only official source quoted for this story was spokesman Frank Gribbon. Everything else is unnamed sources or quotes from the fdnyrant. The quotes pulled Lt Russell and Commissioner Cassano were both made in the past. They don't even know exactly how many people have quit, and there's no mention of the fact we were told 10-15% of the class would drop out. We're currently at 8%.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no idea if the running thing is true. Considering the pace/distances we're usually doing in PT I would expect nearly all of the class should be capable of doing the necessary 1.5 in 12. Pullups are another matter though.

I'd like to point out to those that can't read between the line that the only official source quoted for this story was spokesman Frank Gribbon. Everything else is unnamed sources or quotes from the fdnyrant. The quotes pulled Lt Russell and Commissioner Cassano were both made in the past. They don't even know exactly how many people have quit, and there's no mention of the fact we were told 10-15% of the class would drop out. We're currently at 8%.
    I understand that the story had no good reliable sources, I was just curious if it was true and if the FDNY was really relaxing those standards.

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone in the academy but everyone knew the FDNY was testing back in July of 2011 when they announced the test. I just think people were lazy and thought they could wait last minute to prepare physically.

If the academy does start July 29th that gives 4 months and 25 days from today. There should be no excuses

If you haven't started training START NOW!!
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 03-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    nycthirteen, HopefulFF and Mtk123 like this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

MM what were you guys told if someone finishes the academy and still can't do the 4 pull ups?

Forum Member

HAHAHA

This is Amazing!!! and we havent even gotten to the priority hires yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a Fckin joke
    vekdoggs75, FDNY4Life and Mtk123 like this.

Forum Member

“But because so many of this class flunked their StairMaster, [scores] went as low as 72.”

I dont think anyone has realized what this means... The lowest score on exam 2500 was a 72. So the info I got from the firefighter who is mentoring me threw the process(a neighbor), told me they had processed the entire list of EMS guys was true!!! OC guys WILL be getting called in relatively high numbers in my opinion, or numbers higher than most of us were previously thinking

Thread Information