Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    “But because so many of this class flunked their StairMaster, [scores] went as low as 72.”

I dont think anyone has realized what this means... The lowest score on exam 2500 was a 72. So the info I got from the firefighter who is mentoring me threw the process(a neighbor), told me they had processed the entire list of EMS guys was true!!! OC guys WILL be getting called in relatively high numbers in my opinion, or numbers higher than most of us were previously thinking
    I pray you are correct.

Forum Member

For what it is worth Just heard that the first wave of Medicals started for Priority hires.....and that every single one of them failed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    For what it is worth Just heard that the first wave of Medicals started for Priority hires.....and that every single one of them failed
    I heard almost the same thing. some actually passed, But VERY few did. Also heard that Most of them were sent to get echoscans in order to retest for stairs because the heart rate was too high.
    Last edited by Jukez; 03-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    gtfo, is this true?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    I understand that the story had no good reliable sources, I was just curious if it was true and if the FDNY was really relaxing those standards.

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone in the academy but everyone knew the FDNY was testing back in July of 2011 when they announced the test. I just think people were lazy and thought they could wait last minus to prepare physically.

If the academy does start July 29th that gives 4 months and 25 days from today. There should be no excuses

If you haven't started training START NOW!!
    This is a great post guys - thanks for sharing the story. I would have missed it otherwise.

A few things I thought after reading the article: first, I can't imagine the next class is ALL Promo and PH. There will be serious backlash if two straight classes come out with seriously subpar physical performance. Second, journalists and others are clearly watching the forums, so let's continue to be on best behavior and only say things here that we'd be comfortable showing up in an article like this. And lastly, I'm about as old as a candidate can be - without the age extension for 6019 candidates I could not have taken this exam. But F THAT - I don't want any flexibility on physical training, running times, push ups, pull ups, anything. I'm as busy as anyone else (taking time out on Sunday morning to check the board from a day full of work) but I still have time to fit exercise into my day 4 or 5 times a week. I'll run that 1.5 miles in under 11. I'll bang out 20 pull-ups. I don't think I, or any of the PHs or the promos, should be cut any slack.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    gtfo, is this true?

There are very few who did pass,,,but the first wave that came in they all failed....mainly because of the heart rate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    MM what were you guys told if someone finishes the academy and still can't do the 4 pull ups?
    I have no idea what would happen to them.

Forum Member

MM at what pace do you guys/girls run at in the academy. Is it 8 minute miles, 8:30, 9:00. Just trying to emulate it. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    MM at what pace do you guys/girls run at in the academy. Is it 8 minute miles, 8:30, 9:00. Just trying to emulate it. Thanks.
    Show up able to maintain 3 miles at an 8 minute pace and the running won't be much of a problem. But remember you MUST have upper body strength and endurance to get through this, so your training can't all be running. If you get to the Rock able to run 8 minute miles and do 10 or more pull ups, you should be ok. The PT is still a challenge, and FST is misery, but you'll be able to handle it.

Look at the posts on here about guys down at medical failing and guys at the Rock right now with the chance of a lifetime screwing it up royally. DON'T BE THEM. Train now. If you aren't in great shape and physical fitness doesn't come easy for you (it doesn't for me), train hard NOW and avoid the problem altogether.

And if any of you are inclined to think I'm talking down to you, this advice comes from a guy who laughed training off the first time I took the physical, failed it, and had to wait YEARS for another shot, almost outside of the age limit. Don't let it happen to you.

Forum Member

I don't know the paces or distances. teufelhunden36 has good advice. I'm the same way, was never into sports or anything, had a lot of catching up to do to get ready for this. I wasn't as prepared as I had hoped to be, but I'm making it work. Preparedness in the running/cardio area in my book would be comfortably doing 5 miles in 8-9 minute/miles, obviously training for the 1.5 miler, and lots and lots of interval sprints.

Remedial may be seen as a scarlet letter here, on the rant, or in the news, but it honestly is a great thing. Remember these guys passed all of the necessary prehire steps, which you guys may soon take and pass. Some of you might be surprised when you get there on baseline testing day and you flub and miss by a few pushups because their standard is higher than what you trained to. The remedial training is good though, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the guys in remedial end up being in better shape at the end of this thing than the people who didn't need it.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

dfsaaaaafdada
    Last edited by WNYFF14; 06-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    ATFDFF likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WNYFF14 View Post
    I agree if you really really really want to be a FDNY fireman you should have definitely put some work into preparing. But also you got to understand that life doesn't stop just because you're on the list. People have to go to work, eat, sleep, raise and protect their families, and whatever else they have going on. Some guys don't know if or when they will be called so they are going to school. Some guys are involved in volunteer companies trying to help their community. There is way to much involved in life, especially right now with the crappy economy, to assume some guy or gal that is struggling through the academy was just lazy. I do agree that you gotta work for hard something like this, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I myself got a 96 (no points). I have no clue if my number will ever get reached, so I have to continue with my life so if it doesn't I can still feed myself (and hopefully a family someday). Believe me, I'd rather spend my time in the gym everyday, that's just not possible for everyone. I guarantee I will be prepared though if the time ever comes.
    Believe me I understand having busy lives. I am currently a full time student, work between 30 and 40 hours a week, an active volunteer for the Red Cross and Make a Wish foundation, volunteer firefighter and EMT with 2 different departments, married and a father to 2 girls, one of which is recieving follow up treatment for leukemia. I still find time to work out 5-6 times a week. I'm not saying that its easy but it all depends how bad you want the job.

I would rather put in the time and effort to be as prepared as I can be so that if the opportunity arises I will be as prepared as humanly possible.

The sacrifices you make now will pay of in the long run. What's the worst that could happen, you don't get called and your in the best shape of your life.

I also understand that everyone's situation is different but everyone should have 15-20 minutes a day to workout a lil. Even if its just running through your neighborhood.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention. I just get frustrated listening to people in general say they don't have time to exercise. Stop watching TV and go for a walk or run.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WNYFF14 View Post
    I agree if you really really really want to be a FDNY fireman you should have definitely put some work into preparing. But also you got to understand that life doesn't stop just because you're on the list. People have to go to work, eat, sleep, raise and protect their families, and whatever else they have going on. Some guys don't know if or when they will be called so they are going to school. Some guys are involved in volunteer companies trying to help their community. There is way to much involved in life, especially right now with the crappy economy, to assume some guy or gal that is struggling through the academy was just lazy. I do agree that you gotta work for hard something like this, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I myself got a 96 (no points). I have no clue if my number will ever get reached, so I have to continue with my life so if it doesn't I can still feed myself (and hopefully a family someday). Believe me, I'd rather spend my time in the gym everyday, that's just not possible for everyone. I guarantee I will be prepared though if the time ever comes.
    Dude, you're offering up excuses like none of us never had a life before this job.

Sure a lot of guys here have only lived in their parents' basement up until now. But try not to make it sound like you're the first that had to juggle everything while preparing for what is still the best job in the world.

Re the article, it paints the whole class in a bad light, and we know it's not. However, the dubious distinction that seems to have befallen them isn't sitting well with us.

Forum Member

This is getting interesting.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Re the article, it paints the whole class in a bad light, and we know it's not. However, the dubious distinction that seems to have befallen them isn't sitting well with us.
    Not sitting well at all. This is an avoidable problem if you take 6 hours a week and train. Everyone has stuff going on; it's a sorry excuse for anyone to say there's no time to do PT. Those who really want the job find it; those who are only talking like they want the job don't. Reality hits hard on this job.

Forum Member

Does any of this mean that the list is moving faster than anticipated? are they almost totally out of EMS?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Does any of this mean that the list is moving faster than anticipated? are they almost totally out of EMS?
    Listen, I know the waiting game is a b*tch but there's no way to know what's going to happen with the list because of this. Theoretically, yes, the further down the list they have to go to get classes together will speed the list up. But some of these guys may be recycling. Your best bet is to train hard and enjoy your life while you wait. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years for you with a list number in the 6000s so in the meantime just relax.

Forum Member

Look, I read that article this morning. The Post IS NOT A NEWSPAPER. That was a bull**** story with very little hard fact. That said, the performance of this class is certainly substandard and that should serve as a warning to those of you coming in.

As for your physical abilities at the end, you don't pass, you don't go to a firehouse. They might keep you at the rock for a few weeks, extend your probation for as long as it takes, ect. Do you REALLY want to be the last proby to be assigned to a company......you'll have a black mark on your career from day one.

EVERYONE who'll be joining our ranks in the next few years is going to be under a lot of scrutiny from those of us in the firehouse. Don't start off on the wrong foot.

Forum Member

Hey manhattan medic

At any point in the academy so far have you been asked/expected to just hang from anything with just one hand for any reason? Random question I know haha
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Hey manhattan medic

At any point in the academy so far have you been asked/expected to just hang from anything with just one hand for any reason? Random question I know haha
    I don't know myself, but it can happen on the job I suppose. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Hey manhattan medic

No. Not at all.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Listen, I know the waiting game is a b*tch but there's no way to know what's going to happen with the list because of this. Theoretically, yes, the further down the list they have to go to get classes together will speed the list up. But some of these guys may be recycling. Your best bet is to train hard and enjoy your life while you wait. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years for you with a list number in the 6000s so in the meantime just relax.
    Thanks man.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thanks man.

No problem. You'll get your chance before you know it. Just make sure you're ready and you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Anyone know if at the investigation they gave you problems about any of your social networking accounts? For example, a buddy of mine just went for PD investigations and they asked him to log into his facebook. I have absolutely nothing to hide I'm just curious how fire handles it. Anyone who went to the investigation know?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Anyone know if at the investigation they gave you problems about any of your social networking accounts? For example, a buddy of mine just went for PD investigations and they asked him to log into his facebook. I have absolutely nothing to hide I'm just curious how fire handles it. Anyone who went to the investigation know?
    Reason number 7 why I don't have a Facebook, twitter or social media account lol
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information