Like Tree9591Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

They did that to my buddy as well for PD. I didn't have to do it for EMS but if you're that worried just delete it once you know you're going in

And thanks MM.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    They did that to my buddy as well for PD. I didn't have to do it for EMS but if you're that worried just delete it once you know you're going in

And thanks MM.
    Yea pd does a social media check if you put on your apd5 that you have facebook, twitter, Myspace etc they'll have you log in. Its no big deal really, they're just looking for pics of excessive drinking, gang affiliation, etc. i just had mine done for pd as well.

Forum Member

Just curious if anyone has anything either in their background, medical or what not, that they feel would bar them from employment with the FD or would just hinder the process? I myself have a few minor arrests that were all dismissed and a couple summons, that I'm a little worried about but from what I've heard I should be all good.

Forum Member

. . . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 06-12-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    vekdoggs75 and SnatchBK like this.

Forum Member

An arrest is different from a conviction isn't it?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  25.7 KB

Speaking of all this PT. got some rings to do inverted rows with. Only been doing it for a little but definitely feels like it will help with the pull ups
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Exam 2000

Forum Member

Attachment 22806

Speaking of all this PT. got some rings to do inverted rows with. Only been doing it for a little but definitely feels like it will help with the pull ups
    it 100% will help with pull ups...i posted this a few weeks ago but elevate your feet on a chair or something to make it more difficult too

Forum Member

Attachment 22806

Consider giving this program a shot. I found in the past that improvement in pull ups is all about the program. Find the most effective way to do as many friggin pull-ups in a single day.

http://officercandidatesschool.com/b...ll-up-program/
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Yea I use a chair to elevate my feet when I do it.

I've tried that program briefly but I have two problems with it.

1. I generally don't have enough time in the day to follow it the way they state

2. This one, along with many others, starts with the assumption that you can do multiple sets and generally with a basis of being able to do like 5. I can do a set of 4 then maybe 3 then 2. I burn out quick. Maybe after some time with the inverted rows my body will be a little more conditioned and ready for it.
    Exam 2000

Forum Member

Good Morning Gents, been awhile since I posted. I was a regualr poster during the 6019 fiasco with a similar username (had to register a new account). I have a few questions for some of you that may "be in the know". What are the chances that they utilize the open competitive list for the July class? Also, I don't quite understand the priority hires being called to take their medicals already, I always thought that the CPAT was administered before the medical. For those of you having trouble with pullups go to Sports Authority or Modells and buy one of those pullup bars that you hang in a doorway in your house and everytime you walk by it knock out as many as you can.
    frankp88 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I have only one arrest on my record for a DWAI. By the time I get called it should be 5 years since the incident occurred. From what I heard guys OTJ have been hired with a DWI on their record. Sometimes they may extend your probation period depending on what you have on your record. I hope this is true because I have learned from my mistakes and changed. Remember felons may have a chance of getting hired so the background check may not be as strict especially much less stricter than PD. IMO a felony is far worst on someones record then a DWAI or any misdemeanor.
    You'll be fine. I had the same thing and had to sign a Stip when I went for the run in '08.

Forum Member

I can do a set of 4 then maybe 3 then 2. I burn out quick. Maybe after some time with the inverted rows my body will be a little more conditioned and ready for it.
    Pretty much the same here I'm at 4,4,3,3,2. If the inverted rows are getting easier, add weight to your chest while doing them. Also try the jump up & hang for 5 seconds at the top, and then 5 seconds at the bottom for 5 or so sets. I've found that helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by arbrnrgr View Post
    What are the chances that they utilize the open competitive list for the July class? Also, I don't quite understand the priority hires being called to take their medicals already, I always thought that the CPAT was administered before the medical.
    just my opinion, obv could be wishful thinking but I'd say pretty good shot OC gets used. If there's a list of 490 PHs, and (being very generous) 150 EMTs they'd have to hire at a 2:1 ratio to get 320. The class in now is the top 75% of the EMT list, and a lot of them are struggling, I can't see that group of 640 people being enough to make up the next class.

As for meds before CPAT, I'm confused about that too. Hoping that's the city/depts way of just trying to figure out how deep on the OC they can go based off of how many of these PHs will actually take up spots at The Rock.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 03-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Just curious if anyone has anything either in their background, medical or what not, that they feel would bar them from employment with the FD or would just hinder the process? I myself have a few minor arrests that were all dismissed and a couple summons, that I'm a little worried about but from what I've heard I should be all good.
    I actually had a similar question. I was taking therapy with a psych doctor when i was in iraq in 2010 for combat stress and suicidal thoughts etc. They put me on prozac and seroquel. I was on therapy for 1 month and it didnt affect me on doing my job. In fact I was promoted to SGT after that and I am currently in promotion status.
    I was wondering if that would be a big deal for FDNY.

I know its probably TMI. Just wanna hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by mannyjay; 03-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arbrnrgr View Post
    What are the chances that they utilize the open competitive list for the July class? Also, I don't quite understand the priority hires being called to take their medicals already, I always thought that the CPAT was administered before the medical. For those of you having trouble with pullups go to Sports Authority or Modells and buy one of those pullup bars that you hang in a doorway in your house and everytime you walk by it knock out as many as you can.
    Yeah, I'd think they have to call SOME OC candidates to fill the July class. Maybe only a few hundred deep on the list to fill 50-100 seats, but I can't imagine they get 320 seats from PH and EMS. Just speculation tho.

As for Med before CPAT I think that is just the more logical choke point. CPAT really isn't much of a challenge, but medical has some pretty strict cut offs that become more difficult to get through as you get older. You can suffer through a CPAT. You can't do much about keeping your heart rate below 160 on the step mill with a vest if you are 40 and out of shape. I think this way allows the city to eliminate candidates by putting them through one process instead of two.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

As for the speculation about if the OC list will get reached for the summer class, of course it will. Even if 293 PHs make it through (would never happen) remember that they have to hire 3 PH and 2 from the regular list for every 5 candidates.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    As for the speculation about if the OC list will get reached for the summer class, of course it will. Even if 293 PHs make it through (would never happen) remember that they have to hire 3 PH and 2 from the regular list for every 5 candidates.
    Technically I don't think that's true. Hypothetically, it could be 130 Promo and 195 PH and the class is done. The ratio is not PH/OC but PH/All Hires (including Promo).
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Technically I don't think that's true. Hypothetically, it could be 130 Promo and 195 PH and the class is done. The ratio is not PH/OC but PH/All Hires (including Promo).
    I could be mistaken but I don't think 130 EMS promos are left. At the very least 130 wont take up 130 spots or even close to it.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I could be mistaken but I don't think 130 EMS promos are left. At the very least 130 wont take up 130 spots or even close to it.
    From what I've heard you are right. But we just won't know for sure until they start calling for the class this summer. There will definitely be promos in the class, and definitely be PHs in the class. Best anyone can say is that there will probably be a smattering of OC to fill it up. But not even #1 on the OC is guaranteed a seat in the class, even assuming e class happens...
    List # 53X

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    I actually had a similar question. I was taking therapy with a psych doctor when i was in iraq in 2010 for combat stress and suicidal thoughts etc. They put me on prozac and seroquel. I was on therapy for 1 month and it didnt affect me on doing my job. In fact I was promoted to SGT after that and I am currently in promotion status.
    I was wondering if that would be a big deal for FDNY.

I know its probably TMI. Just wanna hear what you guys think.
    ALL of us who have been to war have needed someone to talk to about what we've been through; some of us, like you, have required more in depth help that involved meds. It's nothing you should be ashamed of. Your best bet is to be completely honest and up front about it. It's not the fact you needed help that can get you DQ (understand there ARE some psych problems that will prevent you from getting the job); it's not following up with the prescribed course of treatment or trying to make it sound like you didn't have trouble when a doctor obviously thought you did.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    ALL of us who have been to war have needed someone to talk to about what we've been through; some of us, like you, have required more in depth help that involved meds. It's nothing you should be ashamed of. Your best bet is to be completely honest and up front about it. It's not the fact you needed help that can get you DQ (understand there ARE some psych problems that will prevent you from getting the job); it's not following up with the prescribed course of treatment or trying to make it sound like you didn't have trouble when a doctor obviously thought you did.
    Amen. I'm sure that teufelhunden36 can speak to this from much more experience, but the Dept (and the City in general) are very supportive of veterans and understanding of the experience that many modern veterans have gone through. I would personally be upfront about everything, and if it is all behind you which it sounds like it is than I would expect you will be good to go.
    mannyjay likes this.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    A promo is a promo. It doesn't factor into hiring as per the court. AFTER EMS fills some of the class, they will hire the 3 quota hires and 2 OC candidates.....unless the courts make changes...
    zachryw2001 and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    A promo is a promo. It doesn't factor into hiring as per the court. AFTER EMS fills some of the class, they will hire the 3 quota hires and 2 OC candidates.....unless the courts make changes...
    In that case, I stand corrected. The language from the court order didn't specify that distinction, I thought. Much better, obviously, for many of us who have a shot at the July class...
    List # 53X

Forum Member

“On the open exam for the general public, only candidates who score a 97 are likely to be called,” said the source. “But because so many of this class flunked their StairMaster, [scores] went as low as 72.”

What opinions you fellas have on this ??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Believe me I understand having busy lives. I am currently a full time student, work between 30 and 40 hours a week, an active volunteer for the Red Cross and Make a Wish foundation, volunteer firefighter and EMT with 2 different departments, married and a father to 2 girls, one of which is recieving follow up treatment for leukemia. I still find time to work out 5-6 times a week. I'm not saying that its easy but it all depends how bad you want the job.

I would rather put in the time and effort to be as prepared as I can be so that if the opportunity arises I will be as prepared as humanly possible.

The sacrifices you make now will pay of in the long run. What's the worst that could happen, you don't get called and your in the best shape of your life.

I also understand that everyone's situation is different but everyone should have 15-20 minutes a day to workout a lil. Even if its just running through your neighborhood.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention. I just get frustrated listening to people in general say they don't have time to exercise. Stop watching TV and go for a walk or run.
    I couldn't agree with you more !!!! I share the same thoughts

Forum Member

Yeah I agree, I think we all should be fine, they are even looking into hiring convicted felons for heavens sake. Also as long as you haven't been in trouble and have showed progress in your respective fields, are in top physical shape and have a positive attitude, it'll be all good

Thread Information