Like Tree10628Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

A question about the social security earnings statement.

1) I know our current packet doesn't ask for it right away, but will we need it eventually?

2) Does CID want the social security earnings statement or the detailed social security statement? I ask because the social security administration website indicates it could take up to four months to get the detailed one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    “On the open exam for the general public, only candidates who score a 97 are likely to be called,” said the source. “But because so many of this class flunked their StairMaster, [scores] went as low as 72.”

What opinions you fellas have on this ??
    Please do share your opinions about something that is a reflection of civil service laws, and old news. This is the trick guys. All you gotta do is pass the written when you're a promotional. The physical standards are all the same though, and I think it's quite obvious that those are a challenge for many.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Amen. I'm sure that teufelhunden36 can speak to this from much more experience, but the Dept (and the City in general) are very supportive of veterans and understanding of the experience that many modern veterans have gone through. I would personally be upfront about everything, and if it is all behind you which it sounds like it is than I would expect you will be good to go.
    Except when it comes to PD.
    frankp88 and Spiderneck30 like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    A question about the social security earnings statement.

1) I know our current packet doesn't ask for it right away, but will we need it eventually?

2) Does CID want the social security earnings statement or the detailed social security statement? I ask because the social security administration website indicates it could take up to four months to get the detailed one.
    You will need it, and you need the detailed one, the one that cost money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Please do share your opinions about something that is a reflection of civil service laws, and old news. This is the trick guys. All you gotta do is pass the written when you're a promotional. The physical standards are all the same though, and I think it's quite obvious that those are a challenge for many.
    You think the oc list would go that far down?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    You think the oc list would go that far down?
    No, of course not, but that's besides the point. This has always been the way promotional lists work, and not just with this specific scenario. This is codified by city and state civil service laws.

Is it fair? That's debatable.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    No, of course not, but that's besides the point. This has always been the way promotional lists work, and not just with this specific scenario. This is codified by city and state civil service laws.

Is it fair? That's debatable.
    How far you think it might go?

Forum Member

Whats the 1 in 3 rule in civil service? And can it effect any of us on the open competitive exam?

Forum Member

If we can base the rate of hire of current EMS promos to the ones that are left I think with about 150 to go they would get somewhere around 50 that can make it to the academy. I don't have a lot of faith in the PHs and from what I hear there's no reason to. Given the small chance of them successfully completing the process I'd say its safe to say they will HAVE to pick from the OC list.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

dont forget all the guys who dropped before the midterm so they could recycle in to the next class and take up another spot in the academy. Who knows how many of these....people, there are. 10? 20?

Forum Member

You're right even still there's no way they are getting 320 just from EMS and PHs
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You're right even still there's no way they are getting 320 just from EMS and PHs
    I agree. The only person I've heard give their opinion & actually has insight into this is the Lt. who is in charge of the training. He told us he felt the top 500 on OC have a shot for July. Of course it could end up some where in the 400-600 range but I'd be surprised if someone in his position ended up way off on the # of OC they go through.

Forum Member

its going to be interesting to see if this class and the next class or 2 graduates with less then 185. if this happens could they make the starting number higher then 320?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    its going to be interesting to see if this class and the next class or 2 graduates with less then 185. if this happens could they make the starting number higher then 320?
    I think others have said it's not possible, that 320 is the max the Rock could handle.
    FDsouthbxNY and Jukez like this.
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think others have said it's not possible, that 320 is the max the Rock could handle.
    Yeah everything I've heard to date said 320 is the max occupancy the facility can handle. So since PHs are now doing medicals, it's safe to assume they've completed the physicals for these chaps?

Forum Member

Default Question about training for CPAT and Medical

Hey guys. Quick question that I'd like to get some clarification on. I'm training for the CPAT and medical from the OC list. Should we be in good shape if we stick to the 10 phase plan outlined in the CPAT training guide?

I am in no way underestimating the test, but I've run marathons before and boxed and I've been in some pretty amazing shape in the past (and I'm nowhere near that kind of shape right now). I'm doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and I'm following the running schedule of 3 miles a couple of times a week, 1.5 miles once a week and stairs a couple of times a week with 50lbs on my back for 10 minutes, but I am by no means doing anything crazy right now to put me in ridiculous shape just yet.

Is this consistent with what some of you are doing? I know we need to be in much better shape for the actual academy, and I'd like to save the more intense/insane workouts for that as it gets closer.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post
    Hey guys. Quick question that I'd like to get some clarification on. I'm training for the CPAT and medical from the OC list. Should we be in good shape if we stick to the 10 phase plan outlined in the CPAT training guide?

I am in no way underestimating the test, but I've run marathons before and boxed and I've been in some pretty amazing shape in the past (and I'm nowhere near that kind of shape right now). I'm doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and I'm following the running schedule of 3 miles a couple of times a week, 1.5 miles once a week and stairs a couple of times a week with 50lbs on my back for 10 minutes, but I am by no means doing anything crazy right now to put me in ridiculous shape just yet.

Is this consistent with what some of you are doing? I know we need to be in much better shape for the actual academy, and I'd like to save the more intense/insane workouts for that as it gets closer.

Thanks!
    I'm pretty much doing something similar. I'm increasing everything slowly so i don't get hurt, but 12 miles a week is where I'm at right now. I do need to do more stair mill though, right now its only twice a week. You're staying on for 10min straight? Right now im doing 7 straight then the vest comes off and i jump right back on for 10min

Forum Member

I also bought that iron gym pullup thing, its def a great purchase, only$30 and you can do 3 different pullup grips, pushups, and it holds your feet for situps also. No screwing into your door frame either, im loving it

Forum Member

I just want to know what is up with the mentors we were supposed to have helping us answer these questions?

Forum Member

One thing I learned through out the years I been religiously going to the gym is that each person is different and what may work for them may not for you. It may help to hear different routines and workout schedules to get an idea but you have to build your own to get the best results for YOU.
    DannyD0pe and fuoco83 like this.

Forum Member

Having had a chance to run through the CPAT(Training) , if you've run marathons and stayed physically active, I'm sure you'll be fine for passing the CPAT. I can't comment on the Academy but rule of thumb I wouldn't aim to just barely pass the CPAT because the Academy would be right around the corner and plenty are failing due to lack of physical ability. If you're close to taking the CPAT or have a list number 1500> , I'd seriously consider working out/cardio at least 5x a week. If you really want the job, like I do and how I figure most of you do, work out everyday. I usually run 3x a week, 2x HIIT and hit the gym 4x or 5x a week. It all depends how bad you want it and realizing that you probably will be in a situation where you might have to pick someone up or someone do something physically tasking and you don't want to be THAT guy and not be able to do it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post

Thanks!
    Don't only workout for the CPAT, prepare your body for the actually academy. I still can't believe people are not taking their workouts seriously or putting it on hold until they get verification that they will go to the academy. This is the reason why a lot of people in the current class are failing. Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do. I am surprise you are asking such a question since you claim you have ran marathons and was once into boxing. That workout instinct should be in you already.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do.
    I guess studying for the exam and getting a score in hiring range doesn't fall under "do what you have to do". Bulls*it lawsuits do, right?

These guys are getting on the job the right way; save your comments for your buddies on the priority hire list who substitute hard work and sacrifice with whining and lawsuits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    I guess studying for the exam and getting a score in hiring range doesn't fall under "do what you have to do". Bulls*it lawsuits do, right?

These guys are getting on the job the right way; save your comments for your buddies on the priority hire list who substitute hard work and sacrifice with whining and lawsuits.
    My motto is, It doesn't matter how you got on the job but what you do when you get on it. And when I get on it, my work ethic will speak volumes. With that being said, I am working my butt off now and will continue too do so until I get on the job and after. Furthermore, you can continue to shoot down every post I make, but you should be aware that it is motivating more to push myself in the gym and academically. So, keep up the good work buddy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Don't only workout for the CPAT, prepare your body for the actually academy. I still can't believe people are not taking their workouts seriously or putting it on hold until they get verification that they will go to the academy. This is the reason why a lot of people in the current class are failing. Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do. I am surprise you are asking such a question since you claim you have ran marathons and was once into boxing. That workout instinct should be in you already.
    I was half expecting a superstar like you to reply with an assinine reply like this one. you don't know me, you don't know my life circumstances and commitments right now, and you never will because you're the kind of person that hides behind a forum and acts like a tough guy but would know better than make such comments in person because you'd get smacked in a heartbeat.

Are you a hired critic for the fitness academy at the Rock? Didn't think so. You focus on your training routine and I focus on mine. Good luck. Take questions for what they are and don't judge. This isn't your Dear Abby column to share your advice.

As for the others who replied with legit responses, i'll write back tomorrow. I just had to reply to this winner before getting to bed, though.

Thread Information