Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 332 of 1017 FirstFirst ... 232282322329330331332333334335342382432832 ... LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,640 of 20333
Like Tree7719Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Got out earlier than usual today, I've done well on the first few quizzes, and have most of tonight's reading already done so quick post.

mocon: you really don't need to use the squat rack. It's been said a million times here, and now I can say it with first hand experience as well. Low weight/high rep will get you more prepared for PT than heavy weight/low rep work. Do lots of basic moves with 10# dumbbells in your hands. If you can't do 30+ reps then you should work on that. Also for god's sake pushups and most importantly CARDIO.

Don't worry too much about learning the knots now. They really aren't THAT difficult, and if you teach yourself now you are not going to be doing it the way they expect you to do it. It's honestly better to be a clean slate than come in with bad habits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    So what you're saying is......get back to twerk?

...I'll see myself out.
    I heard is good to keep the butt muscles tight for the academy. Just want to be ready you know haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Got out earlier than usual today, I've done well on the first few quizzes, and have most of tonight's reading already done so quick post.

mocon: you really don't need to use the squat rack. It's been said a million times here, and now I can say it with first hand experience as well. Low weight/high rep will get you more prepared for PT than heavy weight/low rep work. Do lots of basic moves with 10# dumbbells in your hands. If you can't do 30+ reps then you should work on that. Also for god's sake pushups and most importantly CARDIO.

Don't worry too much about learning the knots now. They really aren't THAT difficult, and if you teach yourself now you are not going to be doing it the way they expect you to do it. It's honestly better to be a clean slate than come in with bad habits.

If this isn't too much "inside info", what sort of miles & pace per run should we be working towards as we prepare?

Forum Member

Thanks dude - don't want to sound like I'm hoping guys drop like flies, buttttttt have any more?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    If this isn't too much "inside info", what sort of miles & pace per run should we be working towards as we prepare?
    I honestly have no idea what we're doing right now, nor am I qualified to discuss this since it's only week 3, it's still only just begun. However, remember the MINIMUM to avoid remediation is an 8min/mile pace. That is the MINIMUM, but you will never get in trouble for being more prepared, so keep pushing, even if you've already attained the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Thanks dude - don't want to sound like I'm hoping guys drop like flies, buttttttt have any more?
    What?

Forum Member

I honestly have no idea what we're doing right now, nor am I qualified to discuss this since it's only week 3, it's still only just begun. However, remember the MINIMUM to avoid remediation is an 8min/mile pace. That is the MINIMUM, but you will never get in trouble for being more prepared, so keep pushing, even if you've already attained the minimum.

What?
    I'm pretty sure he is asking if more people have dropped... And to my knowledge you guys are down to 305.

Hey Medic quick question... I heard a rumor that during the swear ins someone was sleeping in the front row. PLEASE tell me this is true!!! Lol
    Last edited by Jukez; 01-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is asking if more people have dropped... And by my knowledge you guys are down to 305.

Hey Medic quick question... I heard a rumor that during the swear ins someone was sleeping in the front row. PLEASE tell me this is true!!! Lol
    Last post and I'm out. I believe that # is accurate. Yes, someone was, and he was dealt with appropriately. To his credit he has endured his punishment pretty well, and is still here.
    vekdoggs75 and Jukez like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is asking if more people have dropped... And by my knowledge you guys are down to 305.

Yes that's what i meant. Thanks

Forum Member

Hahaha. Falling asleep while the mayor and the commissioner are giving their speech. What a tool.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot dude I know you guys are busy I appreciate you taking some time. However, I need to worry about passing my CPAT before I can even dream about PT in the academy! haha. But I get what you're saying. I've just always had it in my head "too skinny need to increase strength through heavy weights". That's something instilled in me by HS coaches that I need to get over on my own. At 6'3" 185 running has never been an issue for me, but the heavy weights are a pain in the arse. Just gotta work around my body type I suppose.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Thanks a lot dude I know you guys are busy I appreciate you taking some time. However, I need to worry about passing my CPAT before I can even dream about PT in the academy! haha. But I get what you're saying. I've just always had it in my head "too skinny need to increase strength through heavy weights". That's something instilled in me by HS coaches that I need to get over on my own. At 6'3" 185 running has never been an issue for me, but the heavy weights are a pain in the arse. Just gotta work around my body type I suppose.
    One more just to follow up. Do both then. Many that are struggling (myself included) don't have enough muscular endurance. If you can do the light stuff well then yes work on heavy weights, but definitely work on both. And pushups/planks/stuff like that.

edit: Also for god's sake the felon thing is such old news, that was being discussed 6 months ago. The recent Post story is them blowing smoke and total BS. There is a process for someone to go through, and I'm sure it is not easy. As other's have said the person also has to contend with NYS DOH letting them gain CFR certification, which is another hurdle. I'm sure no serious felon is going to clear this process, so if there is someone out there who is otherwise qualified in every way and can jump through all the steps to get their felony behind them I say great for them. You know what helps keep recidivism rates high? The fact that once you've got a mark on your record it gets exponentially harder to pick up and land a stable, decent job. JMHO.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 01-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    I feel the same way dude. I'm currently 5,7 185 and I feel I'm to lite., and want more weight to be able to through around.
    Im currently running under 10 mins in the 1.5 so I kno cardio isn't an issue and never was. I'm probably gonna mix up the heavy weights 6-12 reps with lighter weights 12-20plus reps just to get the best of both worlds.
    Fdny Exam 2000
    List # 3***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtnyc2012 View Post
    I feel the same way dude. I'm currently 5,7 185 and I feel I'm to lite., and want more weight to be able to through around.
    Im currently running under 10 mins in the 1.5 so I kno cardio isn't an issue and never was. I'm probably gonna mix up the heavy weights 6-12 reps with lighter weights 12-20plus reps just to get the best of both worlds.
    Yea man what worked for me really well was 5x5 like twice a week to get all your heavy lifting in and exponentially add weight every other week or so (like 5lbs., 10 max). Other days I'd just do my running or step machine with a high rep calisthenics workout. I've switched it up but what I'm doing now clearly isn't working haha. Guess I'll be going back. You'll feel yourself getting stronger by the week with 5x5. Just go gradual and throw in a de-load every 5 weeks or so to avoid burnout. 5/3/1 just wasn't working for me.
    emtnyc2012 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Hey guys,

Hope all is well!

I saw in the Daily News today page 18 about Bloomberg budget cuts of 70 billion and his plan to close 20 fire companies. Does this impact the hiring for us that took the exam or is that something on a different scale?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1250346

Forum Member

Did everyone else get the stuff to sign up for the cpat sessions and mentorship program?

Forum Member

Just received an email about the CPAT prep and mentorship program. Seems like the ball is beginning to roll.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Yep, I got it as well.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Did everyone else get the stuff to sign up for the cpat sessions and mentorship program?
    I got it as well. I wonder how far down the list they are sending this email to, or if it is going to everyone on the OC?
    grok350 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

I got the email too. AMPED
    grok350 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I got it as well. I wonder how far down the list they are sending this email to, or if it is going to everyone on the OC?
    I haven't received anything. I seriously doubt they are sending it very far down the list.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Thread Information