Like Tree9951Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #8401
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I saw a few more pages and thought good info was to follow lol. Anyway i took a day off of running today and did some stairmill work. Had a great workout, shirt was soaked. I don't know if my legs were tired from running all week, but i had to take a few breaks during my stair training. I am going to do the stairmill 3x a week now my running has gotten to where i want it, I'll focus on more stair mill until after my med then pick up the running more.

    Also idk if anyone on here knows about ff matt long but our instructor for the cpat told us about him and there is an interesting vid on YouTube about his story. If you're ever a little tired and want an extra day off or feeling lazy watch that video. Basically was a freak athlete did ironman ran 3:13 marathon, then got hit by a coach bus while biking. Manages to finish rehab, now walks and runs with a limp but went on to finish the ironman post accident, which is something like a 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run that has to be completed in 17hrs. Inspiring stuff
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?

  2. #8402
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?
    He's no longer a ff. The accident messed him up pretty bad, he had something like 42 surgeries. He's a motivational speak i think and wrote a book

  3. #8403
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?
    Matt Long is one of the toughest SOBs I've ever met. You guys better PRAY he's not at the Rock anymore.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  4. #8404
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Fairfax County
    Posts
    36

    Default

    the cpat that you guys take. is it the same as most of the other departments? where its the stairmaster, horse drag/pull, equipment carry and a few others that you have to complete i under 10 minutes? Im pretty sure there is only 1 cpat but i just wanted to double check.

  5. #8405
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    First, I am not your friend, which is your words indirectly with "I will never be considered a brother". Second, you and I actually don't have anything to argue about in regards to the race issue, or me agreeing with this lawsuit. If I am not mistaken, I suggested you view any of my previous post that supports your assumption/accusation that I agree with the lawsuit, etc. This vendetta between use pretty much originated due to your anger and frustration of this situation and opportunity I am taking advantage of. But you continue to spread false accusation about me on here.

    If you want to lash out your anger on me about this situation, kool, but don't say I am lying about how many test I took or that I agree with the lawsuit, etc.
    Enough. You're full of it. You've said several times you passed 2 tests before the special one written just for you. This is finished. You're not welcome here, plain and simple. Shuffle on over to the PH forum and stay there.

  6. #8406
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    the cpat that you guys take. is it the same as most of the other departments? where its the stairmaster, horse drag/pull, equipment carry and a few others that you have to complete i under 10 minutes? Im pretty sure there is only 1 cpat but i just wanted to double check.
    Yes, the CPAT was developed by the IAFF and is their intellectual property/trademark/whatever. If it's called a "CPAT" then it's that same standard test.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  7. #8407
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    the cpat that you guys take. is it the same as most of the other departments? where its the stairmaster, horse drag/pull, equipment carry and a few others that you have to complete i under 10 minutes? Im pretty sure there is only 1 cpat but i just wanted to double check.
    CPAT is a test most departments use now. I believe it's something the federal government makes cities give in exchange for federal funding, but don't quote me on that. It's designed to make sure everyone who takes it can pretty much pass it and therefore satisfies the whole affirmative action crowd. Do yourself a favor and find out what the old physical used to be because that is pretty much what the FST course at the Rock is. It's murderous, and CPAT training doesn't even begin to approach the shape you'll need to be in to do well on it. Once you get through CPAT, train to be able to do those events easily. But, for now, practice the CPAT events because you want to make sure you get in the door.

  8. #8408
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?
    Yeah I dunno why I said ESPN, I saw him on HBO real sports more than once.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  9. #8409
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Fairfax County
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Yeah I know I've already passed my CPAT test for my department but thanks for that info. I was just wondering about ny's. i usually just sit in this thread because it provides me the most information. But I can help with the CPAT and say practice the stair-master. I've taken the CPAT 4 times and that is the only event I see people fail. If you can get past the stair-master and your legs aren't suffering too bad from the wobbly leg effect you should be good. Go to the practice sessions so you can learn the course and don't stop.

  10. #8410
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    Yeah I know I've already passed my CPAT test for my department but thanks for that info. I was just wondering about ny's. i usually just sit in this thread because it provides me the most information. But I can help with the CPAT and say practice the stair-master. I've taken the CPAT 4 times and that is the only event I see people fail. If you can get past the stair-master and your legs aren't suffering too bad from the wobbly leg effect you should be good. Go to the practice sessions so you can learn the course and don't stop.
    The stairmaster is indeed the key. The rest of it is a joke, but walking a stairmaster with 75 lbs on your back takes some training.

  11. #8411
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I saw a few more pages and thought good info was to follow lol. Anyway i took a day off of running today and did some stairmill work. Had a great workout, shirt was soaked. I don't know if my legs were tired from running all week, but i had to take a few breaks during my stair training. I am going to do the stairmill 3x a week now my running has gotten to where i want it, I'll focus on more stair mill until after my med then pick up the running more.

    Also idk if anyone on here knows about ff matt long but our instructor for the cpat told us about him and there is an interesting vid on YouTube about his story. If you're ever a little tired and want an extra day off or feeling lazy watch that video. Basically was a freak athlete did ironman ran 3:13 marathon, then got hit by a coach bus while biking. Manages to finish rehab, now walks and runs with a limp but went on to finish the ironman post accident, which is something like a 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run that has to be completed in 17hrs. Inspiring stuff
    The real trick with the stairmill is your breathing and cadence. Get your steps and breathing into a rhythm and don't look at the time you have left. I always noticed that if I saw I only had a minute or two to go I'd rationalize jumping off early. If you like, do 15min on the stairs, 15 on a bike for a semi cool down, then 15 at a decent pace on the treadmill. That way you get your stairs in but your run won't suffer.

  12. #8412
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Does anyone know how long I can anticipate being at metrotech for intake interview? Not that it matters I'd stay all day but was trying to plan stuff with the family afterwards.

    Thanks
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  13. #8413
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    CPAT is a test most departments use now. I believe it's something the federal government makes cities give in exchange for federal funding, but don't quote me on that. It's designed to make sure everyone who takes it can pretty much pass it and therefore satisfies the whole affirmative action crowd. Do yourself a favor and find out what the old physical used to be because that is pretty much what the FST course at the Rock is. It's murderous, and CPAT training doesn't even begin to approach the shape you'll need to be in to do well on it. Once you get through CPAT, train to be able to do those events easily. But, for now, practice the CPAT events because you want to make sure you get in the door.
    Does anyone have a link to where I can view the FST. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

  14. #8414
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nolan View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this Forum. I'm sure its been asked and answered before but can anyone tell me when candidates from the open competetive exam will begin admittance into the academy, or when to expect further information by mail, weather it be my packet or some other info. I keep getting conflicting information about the scheduling of the next few classes. I'm a Marine Veteran with a test score of #101. My list number is 219X

    Thanx,
    Jack
    The Open Competitive List has been reached down to all of score 103 List #733. Also there were are about 100-200 EMS and 490 PHs to process. You first get an email when your list number is reached. IMO you may be reach after January 2014 (or summer 2013 if you are really lucky) but just keep following up with this thread for further updates.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 03-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

  15. #8415
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does anyone know how long I can anticipate being at metrotech for intake interview? Not that it matters I'd stay all day but was trying to plan stuff with the family afterwards.

    Thanks
    Hard to anticipate. Get there nice and early, since I believe they process people based on the order in which you arrived. Your time there will be a lot shorter if you're one of the first people to sit down with an investigator. Still... minimum 2-3 hours, but allow for 4-5 I'd say.

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Does anyone have a link to where I can view the FST. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you
    Google "FDNY FST" and see what you find.
    zachryw2001 and DannyD0pe like this.

  16. #8416
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    your mothers house
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The Open Competitive List has been reached down to all of score 103 List #733. Also there were are about 100-200 EMS and 490 PHs to process. You first get an email when your list number is reached. IMO you may be reach after January 2013 (or summer 2013 if you are really lucky) but just keep following up with this thread for further updates.
    Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.

  17. #8417
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nolan View Post
    Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.
    To clarify on his numbers....

    There are an unknown number of. EMS still in the pipeline. Some who dropped outta this class will end up trying again this summer. Of the 490 off the quota hire list, they max hired will be 293, could be less. If you are in the top 1,000 on the OC list, you have a good shot at winter 2013/2014, depending on when they start the class.

  18. #8418
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nolan View Post
    Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.
    Trying to gauge when you'll get the call makes you nuts. I should think with a list number in the 2000s you can expect to start the process late 2014 early 2015. There's a ton of variables that would increase or decrease that time that are beyond your control (lawsuits, recycles, academy dropouts etc.) so just keep up on it but don't worry too much; you have some time yet.

  19. #8419
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    This is probably a stupid question but is the clock on 2000 running yet?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  20. #8420
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but is the clock on 2000 running yet?
    Yes. The list is certified, the clocks running.

  21. #8421
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    When I was first reading your reply, I thought you meant yes that is a certified stupid question lol. Thanks.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  22. #8422
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Unless there's been an update since early Oct, I don't think the clock is running yet.

    http://thechiefleader.com/news/civil...9bb30f31a.html


    Readers should note that this roster has not yet been officially established for use and that once established, the eligible list changes over its four-year life as candidates are added, removed, reinstated, or rescored.

  23. #8423
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    How many people do they usually process at a time for intake interviews?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  24. #8424
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Off subject but... Anyone here has experience with acupuncture? Feeling some stress on my shoulder blades. Possible muscles or maybe nerves.. Thank you in advance.

  25. #8425
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nolan View Post
    Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.

    My List number is close to yours. I made this case scenario of when my list number may be reached because I am pretty sure I will get called within the next 2 years.

    Lucky Call: After summer 2013
    Probable Call: After winter 2013/2014
    Unlucky Call: After summer 2014
    Worst case scenario Call: After winter 2014/2015
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 06-12-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 37 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 26 guests)

  1. 336Brooklyn,
  2. 40&OUT,
  3. 4040clubBouncer,
  4. america2788,
  5. BD1017,
  6. bklynmike91,
  7. EKFCASPER,
  8. FFwnt2b,
  9. Matador611,
  10. vekdoggs75

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register