Like Tree9951Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I saw a few more pages and thought good info was to follow lol. Anyway i took a day off of running today and did some stairmill work. Had a great workout, shirt was soaked. I don't know if my legs were tired from running all week, but i had to take a few breaks during my stair training. I am going to do the stairmill 3x a week now my running has gotten to where i want it, I'll focus on more stair mill until after my med then pick up the running more.

Also idk if anyone on here knows about ff matt long but our instructor for the cpat told us about him and there is an interesting vid on YouTube about his story. If you're ever a little tired and want an extra day off or feeling lazy watch that video. Basically was a freak athlete did ironman ran 3:13 marathon, then got hit by a coach bus while biking. Manages to finish rehab, now walks and runs with a limp but went on to finish the ironman post accident, which is something like a 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run that has to be completed in 17hrs. Inspiring stuff
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah the dude was featured on HBO's Real Sports. I know he used to be an instructor....he's not anymore right?
    He's no longer a ff. The accident messed him up pretty bad, he had something like 42 surgeries. He's a motivational speak i think and wrote a book

MembersZone Subscriber

Matt Long is one of the toughest SOBs I've ever met. You guys better PRAY he's not at the Rock anymore.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

the cpat that you guys take. is it the same as most of the other departments? where its the stairmaster, horse drag/pull, equipment carry and a few others that you have to complete i under 10 minutes? Im pretty sure there is only 1 cpat but i just wanted to double check.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    First, I am not your friend, which is your words indirectly with "I will never be considered a brother". Second, you and I actually don't have anything to argue about in regards to the race issue, or me agreeing with this lawsuit. If I am not mistaken, I suggested you view any of my previous post that supports your assumption/accusation that I agree with the lawsuit, etc. This vendetta between use pretty much originated due to your anger and frustration of this situation and opportunity I am taking advantage of. But you continue to spread false accusation about me on here.

If you want to lash out your anger on me about this situation, kool, but don't say I am lying about how many test I took or that I agree with the lawsuit, etc.
    Enough. You're full of it. You've said several times you passed 2 tests before the special one written just for you. This is finished. You're not welcome here, plain and simple. Shuffle on over to the PH forum and stay there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    the cpat that you guys take. is it the same as most of the other departments? where its the stairmaster, horse drag/pull, equipment carry and a few others that you have to complete i under 10 minutes? Im pretty sure there is only 1 cpat but i just wanted to double check.
    Yes, the CPAT was developed by the IAFF and is their intellectual property/trademark/whatever. If it's called a "CPAT" then it's that same standard test.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

CPAT is a test most departments use now. I believe it's something the federal government makes cities give in exchange for federal funding, but don't quote me on that. It's designed to make sure everyone who takes it can pretty much pass it and therefore satisfies the whole affirmative action crowd. Do yourself a favor and find out what the old physical used to be because that is pretty much what the FST course at the Rock is. It's murderous, and CPAT training doesn't even begin to approach the shape you'll need to be in to do well on it. Once you get through CPAT, train to be able to do those events easily. But, for now, practice the CPAT events because you want to make sure you get in the door.

Forum Member

Yeah I dunno why I said ESPN, I saw him on HBO real sports more than once.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Yeah I know I've already passed my CPAT test for my department but thanks for that info. I was just wondering about ny's. i usually just sit in this thread because it provides me the most information. But I can help with the CPAT and say practice the stair-master. I've taken the CPAT 4 times and that is the only event I see people fail. If you can get past the stair-master and your legs aren't suffering too bad from the wobbly leg effect you should be good. Go to the practice sessions so you can learn the course and don't stop.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I know I've already passed my CPAT test for my department but thanks for that info. I was just wondering about ny's. i usually just sit in this thread because it provides me the most information. But I can help with the CPAT and say practice the stair-master. I've taken the CPAT 4 times and that is the only event I see people fail. If you can get past the stair-master and your legs aren't suffering too bad from the wobbly leg effect you should be good. Go to the practice sessions so you can learn the course and don't stop.
    The stairmaster is indeed the key. The rest of it is a joke, but walking a stairmaster with 75 lbs on your back takes some training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I saw a few more pages and thought good info was to follow lol. Anyway i took a day off of running today and did some stairmill work. Had a great workout, shirt was soaked. I don't know if my legs were tired from running all week, but i had to take a few breaks during my stair training. I am going to do the stairmill 3x a week now my running has gotten to where i want it, I'll focus on more stair mill until after my med then pick up the running more.

Also idk if anyone on here knows about ff matt long but our instructor for the cpat told us about him and there is an interesting vid on YouTube about his story. If you're ever a little tired and want an extra day off or feeling lazy watch that video. Basically was a freak athlete did ironman ran 3:13 marathon, then got hit by a coach bus while biking. Manages to finish rehab, now walks and runs with a limp but went on to finish the ironman post accident, which is something like a 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run that has to be completed in 17hrs. Inspiring stuff
    The real trick with the stairmill is your breathing and cadence. Get your steps and breathing into a rhythm and don't look at the time you have left. I always noticed that if I saw I only had a minute or two to go I'd rationalize jumping off early. If you like, do 15min on the stairs, 15 on a bike for a semi cool down, then 15 at a decent pace on the treadmill. That way you get your stairs in but your run won't suffer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how long I can anticipate being at metrotech for intake interview? Not that it matters I'd stay all day but was trying to plan stuff with the family afterwards.

Thanks
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    CPAT is a test most departments use now. I believe it's something the federal government makes cities give in exchange for federal funding, but don't quote me on that. It's designed to make sure everyone who takes it can pretty much pass it and therefore satisfies the whole affirmative action crowd. Do yourself a favor and find out what the old physical used to be because that is pretty much what the FST course at the Rock is. It's murderous, and CPAT training doesn't even begin to approach the shape you'll need to be in to do well on it. Once you get through CPAT, train to be able to do those events easily. But, for now, practice the CPAT events because you want to make sure you get in the door.
    Does anyone have a link to where I can view the FST. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nolan View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this Forum. I'm sure its been asked and answered before but can anyone tell me when candidates from the open competetive exam will begin admittance into the academy, or when to expect further information by mail, weather it be my packet or some other info. I keep getting conflicting information about the scheduling of the next few classes. I'm a Marine Veteran with a test score of #101. My list number is 219X

Thanx,
    Jack
    The Open Competitive List has been reached down to all of score 103 List #733. Also there were are about 100-200 EMS and 490 PHs to process. You first get an email when your list number is reached. IMO you may be reach after January 2014 (or summer 2013 if you are really lucky) but just keep following up with this thread for further updates.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 03-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does anyone know how long I can anticipate being at metrotech for intake interview? Not that it matters I'd stay all day but was trying to plan stuff with the family afterwards.

Thanks
    Hard to anticipate. Get there nice and early, since I believe they process people based on the order in which you arrived. Your time there will be a lot shorter if you're one of the first people to sit down with an investigator. Still... minimum 2-3 hours, but allow for 4-5 I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Does anyone have a link to where I can view the FST. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you
    Google "FDNY FST" and see what you find.
    zachryw2001 and DannyD0pe like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The Open Competitive List has been reached down to all of score 103 List #733. Also there were are about 100-200 EMS and 490 PHs to process. You first get an email when your list number is reached. IMO you may be reach after January 2013 (or summer 2013 if you are really lucky) but just keep following up with this thread for further updates.
    Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.

Forum Member

Thank you bro. With all this moronic bickering I wasn't sure I'de even get an answer.
    To clarify on his numbers....

There are an unknown number of. EMS still in the pipeline. Some who dropped outta this class will end up trying again this summer. Of the 490 off the quota hire list, they max hired will be 293, could be less. If you are in the top 1,000 on the OC list, you have a good shot at winter 2013/2014, depending on when they start the class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Trying to gauge when you'll get the call makes you nuts. I should think with a list number in the 2000s you can expect to start the process late 2014 early 2015. There's a ton of variables that would increase or decrease that time that are beyond your control (lawsuits, recycles, academy dropouts etc.) so just keep up on it but don't worry too much; you have some time yet.

Forum Member

This is probably a stupid question but is the clock on 2000 running yet?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but is the clock on 2000 running yet?
    Yes. The list is certified, the clocks running.

Forum Member

When I was first reading your reply, I thought you meant yes that is a certified stupid question lol. Thanks.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Unless there's been an update since early Oct, I don't think the clock is running yet.

http://thechiefleader.com/news/civil...9bb30f31a.html

Readers should note that this roster has not yet been officially established for use and that once established, the eligible list changes over its four-year life as candidates are added, removed, reinstated, or rescored.

MembersZone Subscriber

How many people do they usually process at a time for intake interviews?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Off subject but... Anyone here has experience with acupuncture? Feeling some stress on my shoulder blades. Possible muscles or maybe nerves.. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

My List number is close to yours. I made this case scenario of when my list number may be reached because I am pretty sure I will get called within the next 2 years.

Lucky Call: After summer 2013
    Probable Call: After winter 2013/2014
    Unlucky Call: After summer 2014
    Worst case scenario Call: After winter 2014/2015
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 06-12-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information