Like Tree9618Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Anyone else receive their physical date in the mail ? Mine is next week, pretty excited, I'm going to stay away from heavy weights and just stick to cardio and a little endurance training . By the way, does the letter of deposition state your summonses? Because I know we need to state them but I have no history of them at all, besides knowing I got a few for open container or what not . Also just curious but does the medical exam do a hair follicle test? I know, I know.
    Thanks, stay positive and goodluck!

Forum Member

Police is the only one that does hair follicle testing.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Anyone else receive their physical date in the mail ? Mine is next week, pretty excited, I'm going to stay away from heavy weights and just stick to cardio and a little endurance training . By the way, does the letter of deposition state your summonses? Because I know we need to state them but I have no history of them at all, besides knowing I got a few for open container or what not . Also just curious but does the medical exam do a hair follicle test? I know, I know.
    Are you on #2000? What is your list number (approximately)?

Good luck.

Forum Member

FDNY: Nothing’s Unusual About Firefighter Recruits’ Struggles
    Chief Leader - March 12, 2013

by SARAH DORSEY

Fire Department officials heatedly denied a claim in the New York Post, quoting anonymous sources, that standards will likely be lowered for the first crop of Firefighter recruits in more than four years—all Emergency Medical Service promotees—because they are so out of shape they’re “failing the Fire Academy in record numbers.”

Figures Differ

The Post reported that, six weeks into the 18-week program, 30 trainees had dropped out and more than half failed the physical-fitness test, which includes a 1.5-mile run within 12 minutes, 30 push-ups in a minute, 30 sit-ups in a minute, and four pull-ups. The 318 recruits must pass the test in May to graduate and become Firefighters.

Actually, only 21 have quit, and those numbers are somewhat elevated but far from unusual, said FDNY spokesman Frank Gribbon, adding that the test won’t be made easier.

“A lot of people fail [the fitness test], always,” he said. “On average, 100-plus fail.”

He added that 6.6 percent of recruits have quit so far, slightly more than the average since 2002 of 6.2 percent. But in recent years, that number has gone as high as more than 13 percent.

'Not Much More Than Average'

“The fact that people drop out is part and parcel of the [process],” he said. “This might be more than average, but not that much more. The bottom line is, whether they are fit that first day or not, they don’t graduate unless they meet that performance threshold that we determine.”

“Some have left for personal reasons and will be back in the next class,” he added.

Chief in Charge Thomas Galvin, who runs the Bureau of Training, acknowledged that about 120 probies are still doing remedial training on their own time to become more fit. But several of them have since passed the fitness test and have stuck with it simply because they like the results, he said.

Of the 21 who dropped out of the program, 18 plan to re-join in a class or two when they’re more fit—a decision he’s seen EMTs and Paramedics make many times in his eight years leading the bureau. Most EMS employees who decide to delay their Firefighter bids usually follow through, he said.

Won't Bend Standards

Mr. Galvin said no standards would be bent to pass unfit candidates. For years, new Firefighters have had to run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes; if they can’t, a doctor must decide if they’re fit enough to train with the class. At the end of the 18-week Fire Academy program, all probies must run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes to pass. No exceptions.

“Everybody who walks into the Academy is going to have to meet the same standard that they’ve had to meet for the last fifty years,” he said.

Izzy Miranda, president of the Uniformed EMTs, Paramedics and Fire Inspectors Local 2507 of District Council 37, said he believed Mr. Gribbon’s assessment that his former members are roughly in the same physical shape as other fire classes, and added that it would make sense if some struggled initially with the rigorous Fire Academy training.

“A lot of [our] people are waiting four, five years to get on [the job],” he said. “We count more on medical training than we do on our physical training in most cases.”

‘No Social Promotion Here’

Uniformed Fire Officers Association President Alexander Hagan said he strongly doubted standards were being relaxed. “I believe in the integrity of the Division of Training,” he said in a phone interview last week. “There are no social promotions in the Fire Department. If you don’t make the grade, you don’t get the job.”

But Stephen J. Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, said the FDNY should be recruiting heavily from the military and high-school and college athletics departments rather than filling the first class from every list with EMS employees, a move he said was instituted in the mid-1990s to bring in more minorities. (The EMS division is by far the most diverse in the department.)

“The UFA has been against this all along. We don’t think anybody should get a leg up,” he said.

Mr. Gribbon said the department has no plans to switch to a pre-Academy physical exam with a ranked, rather than pass/fail, score. In 2007, the FDNY adopted a qualifying fitness test called the CPAT, to bring it into line with practices at fire departments across the country.

Setting Bar Too Low?

But Mr. Cassidy blasted the CPAT as inadequate for New York, where fire conditions are particularly bad.

“CPAT is a minimum standard. Minimum standards are unacceptable to be a New York City firefighter,” he said, noting that his members are more likely to be called to a fire—rather than another, less-challenging run—than firefighters in any other city. New York’s housing stock is also older than most in the U.S.

“We have tens of thousands of buildings that have been grandfathered in as building codes changed. We have a higher number of skyscrapers that don’t have sprinkler systems than any city in the country.”

He said bringing in more military veterans and athletic students would solve the diversity problem without lowering fitness standards.

Mr. Miranda said it hurt his members’ morale when their colleagues quickly fled for the Fire Academy.

“If you want to be a fireman, you should concentrate and train for that profession, but if you want to use our profession as a doormat to backdoor your way in, it does the EMS service no justice. Being an EMS professional is a career, not a stepping stone.”

Mr. Gribbon believes it’s fitting that EMS members are given hiring priority.

“We place a very high value on skilled EMTs and Paramedics, especially considering the fact that last year, 45 percent of all fire responses were EMS runs,” he said. “Year after year, that is becoming more and more of the workload.” He noted that last year, nearly half the city’s medical emergencies were handled by firefighters.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Forum Member

I posted about it a few posts back. Its not the actual physical, its the orientation, a walkthrough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I posted about it a few posts back. Its not the actual physical, its the orientation, a walkthrough.
    I got this as well, is it pretty much just the same thing going on at the academy? I have the two dates, but my first one falls on a day I have a midterm (plus CPAT prep training that night), but my second date is during spring break, and I plan on going to that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I got this as well, is it pretty much just the same thing going on at the academy? I have the two dates, but my first one falls on a day I have a midterm (plus CPAT prep training that night), but my second date is during spring break, and I plan on going to that.
    I plan on going to one just to see where it is and see how the travel time is getting there. Other than that i think the cpat prep given at the academy will be more than enough to familiarize me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I know the feeling lol. I been in my job for the past 7 years and I must tell you I can't wait till I can tell my boss " I'm out biatch!" ( probably not that dramatic lol )
    September will be 7 years for me at my job and I'm dream of the day I can finally give my notice. It gets harder and harder everyday when it seems like the end game is finally in sight.
    My1Goal, River6019 and SouthBK84 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    September will be 7 years for me at my job and I'm dream of the day I can finally give my notice. It gets harder and harder everyday when it seems like the end game is finally in sight.
    Be honest though, you would love to give your boss a piece of mind ( a few curses maybe lol ) on how wonderful those 7 years were right? But then I think about it and don't want to burn any bridges just because you never know what might happen in the academy, injuries specially and atleast have a job till your able to go back to the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Yeah man, I know how you feel. I took my current job right after college because I figured the FDNY was always just a year or two away, so it didn't matter much that I hated it haha. Just clocked 8 years and I almost cant believe I'm actually less than a year away. Sounds hyperbolic I know but I feel like I'm getting out of prison.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

It's funny that my exam was almost exactly a year ago. And I almost missed it because I was on the line for the Iron workers union for about 40 minutes before I realized it was the wrong one. haha
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I hope all of our appointments will be spaced out. Not week after week. I work for a non union contractor and theynqont take kindly to me missing a day too often; especially for another job lol. I already had to lie and tell them i have a doctors appointment on the twenty seventh, follow up appointment for surgery...but im really going to meet my investigator.

I hope they dont ask for proof. If anything, after my interview ill just run down to the doctors office and claim that my hand was hurting (previous hematoma that he already diagnosed and cured). Then ill just grab a note from him to show my employer just to prove i was there. The doctor will tell me im fine of course (lol), and it will cost me $50. But at least ill still have a job. But if i get a letter for the medical or psychological telling me to report within the following 2 weeks, then ill be losing my job for sure. Cant wait to get the hell outta the private sector.
    Looks like ill be missing this one. I just had my intake interview las friday and had to fly into NYC from TN. Cant afford to buy another flight within a week or two.

Forum Member

wow...the country's economy is goint to sh*t...the government suspended tuition assistance for military until further notice...they're also talking about closing some services several days of the week, heard from someone that the army chief of staff resigned, and god knows what else...I wonder if FDNY is going to be affected in any way eventhough the cuts are being done at the federal level.

Forum Member

Just to give people a heads up, the medical exam consists of these things:
    Urine test, EKG, hearing, stair mill, blood, Tuberculosis shot, eye exam, mask breathing, pretty much in that order, or close to it. I don't think I'm missing anything, but if I am, these are the ones you remember the most. LOL
    Remember to listen to every direction closely, even the little ones. They are trying their best on making it go smoothly. The fireman and LT's are very helpful, but want you to follow every direction to the tee. Hope this helps......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Urine test, EKG, hearing, stair mill, blood, Tuberculosis shot, eye exam, mask breathing, pretty much in that order, or close to it. I don't think I'm missing anything, but if I am, these are the ones you remember the most. LOL
    Remember to listen to every direction closely, even the little ones. They are trying their best on making it go smoothly. The fireman and LT's are very helpful, but want you to follow every direction to the tee. Hope this helps......
    I am assuming you went to yours? Can you tell us what range your list # is in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    wow...the country's economy is goint to sh*t...the government suspended tuition assistance for military until further notice...they're also talking about closing some services several days of the week, heard from someone that the army chief of staff resigned, and god knows what else...I wonder if FDNY is going to be affected in any way eventhough the cuts are being done at the federal level.
    FDNY OT is killing the City so they need to hire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I know EMS promos said they weren't making guys get Lasik for their medical but does the same still hold true for the OC guys ?
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

I remember seeing that someone said they have electronic copies of the CPD-B. I just caught a few errors that I made on pages 1 and 4 so if anyone could email me the first 2 pages(double-sided page number 1-4) I would greatly appreciate it. My email is ksbvx8@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Forum Member

You guys complaining about your jobs really struck a cord with me today. Enough to make this post. Now please understand that I despise making posts whining about my own life situation in any capacity. But I figured one time is okay. So here we go. I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible:

I've been working at a dead end, unskilled job for about 6 years now (porter/doorman on the UES). It pays well enough to make rent/gym/food shop the way I like etc. But it is mind numbingly boring, and frankly beneath my capabilities as a man. Lately I have been considering just quitting, taking out loans, and going back to school while my destiny with the dept either pans out or it doesn't. And even more recently, I've been considering joining a reserve unit while I do it. Most likely the guard. I have been feeling a bit guilty about never having served to be honest, and would like to in some way, even in this capacity.

So my question is, is this a crazy move to make with the dept calling at some point in the relative near future? My list number is 18xx. Yes, it seems like processing could potentially begin in the beginning of 2014. But as a lot of us know, nothing is certain. Now I've pm'd with one of the posters on here who is actually in the guard, and he tells me that they would work with you in terms of not having to do your monthly drills/2 weeks (if it falls then) if you were to get the chance at the academy. And I believe him. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any insight.

And guys on the job: Have you ever see a brand new proby in a reserve unit have to go on a deployment say 6 months into the job or even less? Because that is obviously always a possibility with reserves. Is that a problem, being so new to the job? Please be honest.

Yes, giving up a paycheck in this economy sounds ludicrous to most. Particularly me. But I am not getting any younger (31) and I don't give a sheeit about money anymore. It comes and goes. I've been working steadily since I was about 13 with only some schooling during. Maybe it's time to take a break from that. I have no kids and just got out of a 7 yr relationship. So really, no other responsibilities at the moment aside from myself. I would have PM'd the random military guys and guys on the job this post, but figured I might as well throw it on here. Anyway, thanks for listening and appreciate any thoughts. PM me if you'd rather.

Edit: I read mannyjay's post just now about the cutbacks in the military. Story of my goddamn life. It's still possible though...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kocor321 View Post
    Are you on #2000? What is your list number (approximately)?

Good luck.
    I'm pretty sure I was one of the last few people who got their packet and all that from the OC list Lol I'm in the early 700s. I'm hoping I get in the summer class but I guess well see and thanks a lot, I need it Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Oh it's not? I figured these were the two days we had the trial run

Forum Member

Anyone else run in this rain? Just got back from running, wore a baseball warmup type zip up so I wouldnt get too wet and sick. Felt amazing running in this temperature. Actually did my run in my best time yet. I saw the looks on a few people in cars, lol priceless. Feels great to be making progress.
    Outside running>treadmill
    J0hnnyb0y and Dannypanigale like this.

Forum Member

Oh it's not? I figured these were the two days we had the trial run
    thats what I thought at first, then a read a bit more. Its just to familiarize us with the events and tools we'll use. But at the academy we not only got to see the events, we got to run through them and will be doing so every other week. Im going to the first one regardless to scout it out, parking, traffic, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ksbvx8 View Post
    I remember seeing that someone said they have electronic copies of the CPD-B. I just caught a few errors that I made on pages 1 and 4 so if anyone could email me the first 2 pages(double-sided page number 1-4) I would greatly appreciate it. My email is ksbvx8@hotmail.com. Thanks!
    Sent you the PDF but it got bounced back. Send me a different email address and I'll send it through.
    Last edited by nycthirteen; 03-12-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: error in post
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You guys complaining about your jobs really struck a cord with me today. Enough to make this post. Now please understand that I despise making posts whining about my own life situation in any capacity. But I figured one time is okay. So here we go. I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible:

I've been working at a dead end, unskilled job for about 6 years now (porter/doorman on the UES). It pays well enough to make rent/gym/food shop the way I like etc. But it is mind numbingly boring, and frankly beneath my capabilities as a man. Lately I have been considering just quitting, taking out loans, and going back to school while my destiny with the dept either pans out or it doesn't. And even more recently, I've been considering joining a reserve unit while I do it. Most likely the guard. I have been feeling a bit guilty about never having served to be honest, and would like to in some way, even in this capacity.

So my question is, is this a crazy move to make with the dept calling at some point in the relative near future? My list number is 18xx. Yes, it seems like processing could potentially begin in the beginning of 2014. But as a lot of us know, nothing is certain. Now I've pm'd with one of the posters on here who is actually in the guard, and he tells me that they would work with you in terms of not having to do your monthly drills/2 weeks (if it falls then) if you were to get the chance at the academy. And I believe him. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any insight.

And guys on the job: Have you ever see a brand new proby in a reserve unit have to go on a deployment say 6 months into the job or even less? Because that is obviously always a possibility with reserves. Is that a problem, being so new to the job? Please be honest.

Yes, giving up a paycheck in this economy sounds ludicrous to most. Particularly me. But I am not getting any younger (31) and I don't give a sheeit about money anymore. It comes and goes. I've been working steadily since I was about 13 with only some schooling during. Maybe it's time to take a break from that. I have no kids and just got out of a 7 yr relationship. So really, no other responsibilities at the moment aside from myself. I would have PM'd the random military guys and guys on the job this post, but figured I might as well throw it on here. Anyway, thanks for listening and appreciate any thoughts. PM me if you'd rather.

Edit: I read mannyjay's post just now about the cutbacks in the military. Story of my goddamn life. It's still possible though...
    IMO. I can somewhat relate to this. Before joining the military i had a job at payless shoesource that i hated. I was dying to do something better with my life so I joined the armed forces. It sounds like a good idea to join the armed forces. What you will need to consider is the time that takes to go through basic training and AIT. Depending which job/MOS you choose, this process may take from 6 months to a year. I spent 1 year from the point that i went to basic training and AIT to when I first showed up to my unit. Just me personally, I wouldnt take the chance if I was in your shoes and instead suck it up for another year or two. I know its hard and frustrating to wait any longer that what we have been. But as they say, good things come to those who wait. hope this helps. Best of luck.
    River6019 and SouthBK84 like this.

Thread Information