Like Tree9883Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Roadrunner, with your list number I wouldn't take any chances with the military at this point. I was midway through being processed for this summer's NYPD class and told my investigator I wouldn't be pursuing it. Basically my reasoning was while NYPD would've been a great back up plan and something I actually think I would've loved, it seemed too risky with the FDNY likely less than a year away.

With my current job, I know taking random days off isn't a big deal. I'm certainly not legally bound to come here. In the NYPD you have a chance to get injured in the academy, have a complaint filed against you that can hold you up, or they just don't have to let you take days off which could screw you going through the FDNY process. I have to imagine the reserve can be very similar.

Mostly I feel like if you are only about a year away from your dream job you might be better of staying at a job you don't care about. Last thing I wanted to do was go to an academy and my heart not be in it because I couldn't stop thinking of the FDNY. Obviously people who are 3 or more years away might not wanna tough it out with a job they hate but you're way closer than that.
    mannyjay and SouthBK84 like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

got my CPAT orientation dates from DCAS. Good thing I banked all those vacation days last year lol

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies river and manny. I understand it can take a while to even head to basic. However I hear that sometimes it can happen in a month. I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet. I appreciate your thoughts though. I just legitimately wonder how close that list number actually is, with the way things have gone.

Forum Member

I couldnt make it to the gym today so decided to kind of gauge where I was just for push-ups... I guess I'm sending out a little challenge to see where I stack against others.

push-ups; sets of 20(one min breaks), nine sets complete, failed on set ten.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I couldnt make it to the gym today so decided to kind of gauge where I was just for push-ups... I guess I'm sending out a little challenge to see where I stack against others.

i'm not sure where i'm at exactly but i just wanted to say i've always exercised this way^^^

when i was bored as a kid i would do sets of push ups during television commercials...this just evolved as i got older and i just continued to do this. IRON GYM is key for me now: some days i'll do over 200 pull ups. i don't time the rest periods though so my workouts are often scattered throughout the day literally from the moment i get out of bed to when i get back in. i love training this way and definitely recommend it to anyone that has trouble keeping a strict routine/regimen.

Forum Member

My strong points are push ups, dips and pull ups. Yesterday I maxed out 32 pull ups. I'll try your push up game since I'm doing chest anyways then I'll let you know if I can keep up with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Roadrunner, with your list number I wouldn't take any chances with the military at this point. I was midway through being processed for this summer's NYPD class and told my investigator I wouldn't be pursuing it. Basically my reasoning was while NYPD would've been a great back up plan and something I actually think I would've loved, it seemed too risky with the FDNY likely less than a year away.

With my current job, I know taking random days off isn't a big deal. I'm certainly not legally bound to come here. In the NYPD you have a chance to get injured in the academy, have a complaint filed against you that can hold you up, or they just don't have to let you take days off which could screw you going through the FDNY process. I have to imagine the reserve can be very similar.

Mostly I feel like if you are only about a year away from your dream job you might be better of staying at a job you don't care about. Last thing I wanted to do was go to an academy and my heart not be in it because I couldn't stop thinking of the FDNY. Obviously people who are 3 or more years away might not wanna tough it out with a job they hate but you're way closer than that.
    Good move on deferring the NYPD class this summer. If anybody on this thread has a list number that would allow them to enter the academy in less then 1 year, I recommend staying away from the NYPD. NYPD can be a very spiteful department and may choose to withhold you're paperwork.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    My strong points are push ups, dips and pull ups. Yesterday I maxed out 32 pull ups. I'll try your push up game since I'm doing chest anyways then I'll let you know if I can keep up with you.
    this is pretty insane. 32 in one set? Thats bananas, amazing i think. I havent done a one set max in pull ups in a while. Mine should be around 16-18. Wow i gotta step my game up. This is what I wanted to see...u know? How much more I gotta get up to to catch up to everyone else.

Forum Member

this is pretty insane. 32 in one set? Thats bananas, amazing i think. I havent done a one set max in pull ups in a while. Mine should be around 16-18. Wow i gotta step my game up. This is what I wanted to see...u know? How much more I gotta get up to to catch up to everyone else.
    I'm a big believer that all you need to be in great shape are pull ups,dips and push-ups. Don't get me wrong I do go to the gym and I do weights sometimes kind of heavy too but I never leave the basics. You want to max your reps then add weights to your calisthenics. Chained weights to do your dips and pullups and use resistance bands or the weighted vest for push ups. I worked up to doing 8 reps of pull ups with 60 lbs chained around my waist. Just beware that this is calling out for injuries though.

And by the way.... Catching up to everyone else?? Dude if you are doing 18 reps then I'm sure MOST people need to catch up to you!!!. Lol you will be surprised how many people can't do 10 pull ups bro, the pull up bars at my gym are always empty which I love!!
    Last edited by Jukez; 03-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You guys complaining about your jobs really struck a cord with me today. Enough to make this post. Now please understand that I despise making posts whining about my own life situation in any capacity. But I figured one time is okay. So here we go. I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible:

I've been working at a dead end, unskilled job for about 6 years now (porter/doorman on the UES). It pays well enough to make rent/gym/food shop the way I like etc. But it is mind numbingly boring, and frankly beneath my capabilities as a man. Lately I have been considering just quitting, taking out loans, and going back to school while my destiny with the dept either pans out or it doesn't. And even more recently, I've been considering joining a reserve unit while I do it. Most likely the guard. I have been feeling a bit guilty about never having served to be honest, and would like to in some way, even in this capacity.

So my question is, is this a crazy move to make with the dept calling at some point in the relative near future? My list number is 18xx. Yes, it seems like processing could potentially begin in the beginning of 2014. But as a lot of us know, nothing is certain. Now I've pm'd with one of the posters on here who is actually in the guard, and he tells me that they would work with you in terms of not having to do your monthly drills/2 weeks (if it falls then) if you were to get the chance at the academy. And I believe him. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any insight.

And guys on the job: Have you ever see a brand new proby in a reserve unit have to go on a deployment say 6 months into the job or even less? Because that is obviously always a possibility with reserves. Is that a problem, being so new to the job? Please be honest.

Yes, giving up a paycheck in this economy sounds ludicrous to most. Particularly me. But I am not getting any younger (31) and I don't give a sheeit about money anymore. It comes and goes. I've been working steadily since I was about 13 with only some schooling during. Maybe it's time to take a break from that. I have no kids and just got out of a 7 yr relationship. So really, no other responsibilities at the moment aside from myself. I would have PM'd the random military guys and guys on the job this post, but figured I might as well throw it on here. Anyway, thanks for listening and appreciate any thoughts. PM me if you'd rather.

Edit: I read mannyjay's post just now about the cutbacks in the military. Story of my goddamn life. It's still possible though...
    Perfect reason for my first post. I am in the same boat but much crappier list number. mid-6000s. i have been at my mind-numbing, dead end job as well. 5 years. So I quit and am now going to be full time at my second job. by conventional standards and good reasoning, i'm a bonehead for leaving a job with benefits and steady pay check to wait tables.

However, my question to those who are knowledgable about the process, i am still employed and haven't had a bout of unemployment in 10 years (i'm 28), how will this look to the fdny if they even reach my list? thanks for any help and glad to be a part of such an informative board

#65**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post

dang. shoulda kept reading, or seen this before i quit

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    wow...the country's economy is goint to sh*t...the government suspended tuition assistance for military until further notice...they're also talking about closing some services several days of the week, heard from someone that the army chief of staff resigned, and god knows what else...I wonder if FDNY is going to be affected in any way eventhough the cuts are being done at the federal level.
    If I had to guess I'd say this has to do with the automatic sequester cuts. Also common sense man, the funding and budget of a federal level agency is completely different from that of municipal fire department.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 03-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Good move on deferring the NYPD class this summer. If anybody on this thread has a list number that would allow them to enter the academy in less then 1 year, I recommend staying away from the NYPD. NYPD can be a very spiteful department and may choose to withhold you're paperwork.
    Say whaaaaaaatt??? Lol I'm otj now can u elaborate that for me a little further. Any advice or past experience with that happening to you ?
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

MM, how are those wool socks holding up for ya? now that you are at the academy, is there anything else you suggest we bring with us besides the basics(extra socks, shirts, etc) ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Say whaaaaaaatt??? Lol I'm otj now can u elaborate that for me a little further. Any advice or past experience with that happening to you ?
    A capt that was at one of the cpat preps had 10yrs on pd before he transferred, he said complaints and lawsuits can hold pd guys up and often do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    A capt that was at one of the cpat preps had 10yrs on pd before he transferred, he said complaints and lawsuits can hold pd guys up and often do.
    Knock on wood I don't have any yet lol only a matter of time tho haha
    OAK likes this.
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say this has to do with the automatic sequester cuts. Also common sense man, the funding and budget of a federal level agency is completely different from that of municipal fire department.
    Well, the city gets a lot of Homeland Security money from the Feds. Some of this filters down to the FDNY. Hopefully it won't effect us much, but the sequester will be felt citywide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on how far down the list they are right now?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You guys complaining about your jobs really struck a cord with me today. Enough to make this post. Now please understand that I despise making posts whining about my own life situation in any capacity. But I figured one time is okay. So here we go. I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible:

I've been working at a dead end, unskilled job for about 6 years now (porter/doorman on the UES). It pays well enough to make rent/gym/food shop the way I like etc. But it is mind numbingly boring, and frankly beneath my capabilities as a man. Lately I have been considering just quitting, taking out loans, and going back to school while my destiny with the dept either pans out or it doesn't. And even more recently, I've been considering joining a reserve unit while I do it. Most likely the guard. I have been feeling a bit guilty about never having served to be honest, and would like to in some way, even in this capacity.

So my question is, is this a crazy move to make with the dept calling at some point in the relative near future? My list number is 18xx. Yes, it seems like processing could potentially begin in the beginning of 2014. But as a lot of us know, nothing is certain. Now I've pm'd with one of the posters on here who is actually in the guard, and he tells me that they would work with you in terms of not having to do your monthly drills/2 weeks (if it falls then) if you were to get the chance at the academy. And I believe him. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any insight.

And guys on the job: Have you ever see a brand new proby in a reserve unit have to go on a deployment say 6 months into the job or even less? Because that is obviously always a possibility with reserves. Is that a problem, being so new to the job? Please be honest.

Yes, giving up a paycheck in this economy sounds ludicrous to most. Particularly me. But I am not getting any younger (31) and I don't give a sheeit about money anymore. It comes and goes. I've been working steadily since I was about 13 with only some schooling during. Maybe it's time to take a break from that. I have no kids and just got out of a 7 yr relationship. So really, no other responsibilities at the moment aside from myself. I would have PM'd the random military guys and guys on the job this post, but figured I might as well throw it on here. Anyway, thanks for listening and appreciate any thoughts. PM me if you'd rather.

Edit: I read mannyjay's post just now about the cutbacks in the military. Story of my goddamn life. It's still possible though...

Speaking as someone who is currently enlisted, I agree with mannyjay. Depending on the branch of service you choose, the job you choose, the unit you're assigned to, etc. it can take up to a year, or longer, for all of that to pan out. If you do decide to go this route, good on ya. Service to your country is a great thing, and can be very rewarding. As for deploying within 6 months of being in your unit... not likely. Not impossible either, however chances of that are slim. Another thing to consider, you mentioned school. With the sequester going on right now all branches of service, minus Navy, have discontinued the Tuition Assistance Program which used to cover %100 of school fees. (keep an eye on the Navy, they will most likely discontinue it soon as well) Just some food for thought to help you in your decision. Good luck brother!
    Last edited by PJKlebaur; 03-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PJKlebaur View Post
    Any word on how far down the list they are right now?
    They sent out packets to people with scores of 103 and above. We got our intake interview/investigation appointments. As far as I know we're still waiting on Medical, Psych, CPAT appointments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    They sent out packets to people with scores of 103 and above. We got our intake interview/investigation appointments. As far as I know we're still waiting on Medical, Psych, CPAT appointments.

Thanks. I'm deploying from April-October and hoping I won't miss anything important while I'm gone. I'm in the 99 score block. The list seems to be moving along quicker than I originally anticipated when I extended for this deployment. Wondering if I should back out of it now and stick around...

Forum Member

Speaking as someone who is currently enlisted, I agree with mannyjay. Depending on the branch of service you choose, the job you choose, the unit you're assigned to, etc. it can take up to a year, or longer, for all of that to pan out. If you do decide to go this route, good on ya. Service to your country is a great thing, and can be very rewarding. As for deploying within 6 months of being in your unit... not likely. Not impossible either, however chances of that are slim. Another thing to consider, you mentioned school. With the sequester going on right now all branches of service, minus Navy, have discontinued the Tuition Assistance Program which used to cover %100 of school fees. (keep an eye on the Navy, they will most likely discontinue it soon as well) Just some food for thought to help you in your decision. Good luck brother!
    Thanks for the reply man. However like I said, I am only talking reserves. "Weekend Warrior" as some would say...

Forum Member

Thanks. I'm deploying from April-October and hoping I won't miss anything important while I'm gone. I'm in the 99 score block. The list seems to be moving along quicker than I originally anticipated when I extended for this deployment. Wondering if I should back out of it now and stick around...
    I think you should be fine with your deployment. Just make sure that someone keeps an eye on your mail while you're gone just in case you get something from FDNY.

Forum Member

Default Psychological screening

I am sure most will eventually receive their letter in the mail about their psychological screening. Does any of the OJT guys or those that are currently at the Rock have any advices on this screening? What should we expect and why are a lot of candidates failing it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got two things in the mail from FDNY today. Got a letter for my medical which is scheduled for the 22nd and a letter for my Psych test which is scheduled for the 23rd. Still waiting on CPAT orientation letter. Hoping that its either the 22 or 23. Does anyone know if the city is good about trying to group stuff together for people out of state. Luckily Investigations grouped my medical and psych together, just hoping that DCAS will be the same way with CPAT orientation.
    mannyjay likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information