Like Tree9617Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    dont say stuff like this! im getting all excited, damn chubby :P
    You should get excited boo, I'm pretty sure the reason they speeding the medicals and psychs for the OC is probably because they fear they might not have enough, now if they process everyone that scored 103 or more in the next 2-3 months you think they just going to stop there? NO! , they will move on to the next group.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    You should get excited boo, I'm pretty sure the reason they speeding the medicals and psychs for the OC is probably because they fear they might not have enough, now if they process everyone that scored 103 or more in the next 2-3 months you think they just going to stop there? NO! , they will move on to the next group.
    Is this inside info or speculation? I was assuming I wouldnt start probie school till winter 2014 and I'm training specific to this ideal. I could be rdy for the summer but it would be a lot easier on me if i had the extra 6 months

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Only reason I like it is I live 15 hours away lol
    No thats great for you! Im assuming thats the reason why they did it that way for you.

Has anyone else on here recieved a psych and medical date thats a resident and not a PH?

Part of me hopes they do things the normal way for residents since we're obviously not going anywhere, we have jobs and the academy is yet 4 months away. An appointment every other week i can possibly manage with a good story, but i got nothin to tell my boss if they want me to report for med and psych the same day/week.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Is this inside info or speculation? I was assuming I wouldnt start probie school till winter 2014 and I'm training specific to this ideal. I could be rdy for the summer but it would be a lot easier on me if i had the extra 6 months
    I remember it took me about a month and a few days from my medical to my psych back in 08, people are saying they getting it from one day to another! So based on this I'm speculating.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

...and this job is currently overpaying me so i dont wanna lose it
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Jukez is right, I was at the academy today for cpat practice time trials, and #1. It really is surprised how many people took it lightly and failed miserably. I thought I would do better but only finished in 8:41 but I just started doing cardio a few weeks ago since I was bulking all fall/winter but still no excuse . And the were talking about the medicals, two different groups went in and out of 100 only 33 passed and another only 1 out of 25 passed. So if you got a packet and are currently going through the process, I'd totally recommend to focus 100% on cardio, getting your heartrate down (interval training,etc) and endurance and grip strength even . Because you will probably have a very good change to be in the July class, if you got a packet and your in peak physical shape and pass the CPAT.
    Goodluck and Keep Training

P.S. Also is the physical just a straight written test and is there a separate part for a background investigation? Thanks
    Last edited by SnatchBK; 03-14-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    That would be the answer to all my prayers !!!!!

Forum Member

You mean the phsyc test being a written test ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    You mean the phsyc test being a written test ?
    Yeah , that's what I heard, just wanted to confirm it or whatever the opposite of confirm is Lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Opposite of confirm is deny

Riddle of the day: what's the opposite of opposite????
    Is it still the opposite?
    SnatchBK likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Wait I am kinda slow today. So how do you guys know they are speeding up the Psych process etc?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I don't think you can really say they're speeding up anything just yet. Once either Zach gets some CPAT orientation dates from DCAS, or the guys who already have that get their med/psych dates then I think we'll have a better idea. All they could be doing is switching up the order of our process to try and move us along.

Forum Member

Depending on what they feel is the need and time constraints they can speed it up as fast as they want. I signed up for EMS figuring better get that moving along while I wait for fire and since so many guys wanted to move over to fire they knew they'd have to hire a lot and fast. With two classes(mine and the next one) they have gone through the entire list in 6 months. They were processing guys faster than ever. I myself literally went through the entire process in one week. Came in for my investigation on a Monday, did my physical that Wednesday and then the psych Friday. I knew two weeks later I was going to be in the next class.

As far as the psych test for EMS it was multiple choice, like 400 questions or something ridiculous. I'm hoping I can skip that for fire since I just took it for EMS.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Guys, don't get too ahead of yourselves with the assumption that they're speeding anything up. They have a well defined schedule and they're most likely sticking to it. NO ONE HAS BEEN CALLED FOR CPAT. I don't mean practice, I mean the real thing. When that happens you'll have a slightly better idea of where they're going. Look at the numbers: About 700 tapped from the OC list, about 150 EMS waiting in the wings, 450 from the lawsuit list. Consider a few who'll be recycled and we're talking about a pool of over 1300 people. I'm sure they'll get 300 from there.

I've been at HQ a few days between this week and last......the way some people are showing up to the intake interview or to the medical is embarrassing. Get a suit, ONE THAT FITS, and put it on. You're a grown-up and you're at least trying to be a professional. Try looking the part for starters.

If you're there for a medical, dress accordingly, perhaps sneakers, warm-ups, a fleece. You should be comfortable, but try not to look like a jerk off. I watched a few people who could just as easily roll themselves around as walk.....fattys.... Seriously.......well, hopefully this process clears any schleps outta the way and makes room for people who give a damn. From the look of the crowd at medicals.....people are not adequately prepared.

Forum Member

Some one I saw training told me they were taking their Cpat in the next few days on the OC, maybe he meant Cpat training or didn't know what he was talking about.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You guys complaining about your jobs really struck a cord with me today. Enough to make this post. Now please understand that I despise making posts whining about my own life situation in any capacity. But I figured one time is okay. So here we go. I'll try to keep it as short and sweet as possible:

I've been working at a dead end, unskilled job for about 6 years now (porter/doorman on the UES). It pays well enough to make rent/gym/food shop the way I like etc. But it is mind numbingly boring, and frankly beneath my capabilities as a man. Lately I have been considering just quitting, taking out loans, and going back to school while my destiny with the dept either pans out or it doesn't. And even more recently, I've been considering joining a reserve unit while I do it. Most likely the guard. I have been feeling a bit guilty about never having served to be honest, and would like to in some way, even in this capacity.

So my question is, is this a crazy move to make with the dept calling at some point in the relative near future? My list number is 18xx. Yes, it seems like processing could potentially begin in the beginning of 2014. But as a lot of us know, nothing is certain. Now I've pm'd with one of the posters on here who is actually in the guard, and he tells me that they would work with you in terms of not having to do your monthly drills/2 weeks (if it falls then) if you were to get the chance at the academy. And I believe him. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has any insight.

And guys on the job: Have you ever see a brand new proby in a reserve unit have to go on a deployment say 6 months into the job or even less? Because that is obviously always a possibility with reserves. Is that a problem, being so new to the job? Please be honest.

Yes, giving up a paycheck in this economy sounds ludicrous to most. Particularly me. But I am not getting any younger (31) and I don't give a sheeit about money anymore. It comes and goes. I've been working steadily since I was about 13 with only some schooling during. Maybe it's time to take a break from that. I have no kids and just got out of a 7 yr relationship. So really, no other responsibilities at the moment aside from myself. I would have PM'd the random military guys and guys on the job this post, but figured I might as well throw it on here. Anyway, thanks for listening and appreciate any thoughts. PM me if you'd rather.

Edit: I read mannyjay's post just now about the cutbacks in the military. Story of my goddamn life. It's still possible though...
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'm going on five years where I'm at which is also the UES as a doorman/porter. I've been on the fence about leaving but like you said the money is too good right now to just walk away from with something solid. Plus, I also happen to have kids so the benefits we get are also far too good to walk away from.

I've been wrestling with the decision of wether or not to leave or stay. I couldn't agree more with your description about the job and how it makes you feel. I even have quite a few more choice words for where I'm at but this isn't the time or place for that.

Anyway, to offer my 2cents, which isn't worth much, I'd also advise you to stay the course for now. After what happened with 6019 God only knows how long this list will be used for and there's no way for us to know when it may just stopped being used. As of right now we don't even know if they'll ever reach 1000 but I'll be damned if I make a choice that forces me to defer and I miss my shot entirely because of it. My list number is 14XX and I had the opportunity to go into the Police Academy but I dropped out of the running because of horror stories I heard from others about not being allowed to take the days needed to go through the process. I just didn't want to jeopardize my shot at the real dream for something I kind of want. I know we've all heard the advice "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" from a lot of guys on the job but at this point for guys like you and me in our 30s it's our last shot at the job. I don't see another age extension in our future. It's a scary thought that the last 8 yrs will be for nothing if we don't get on, especially after being so close, but don't let it be because you were just sick of your current job. Ride it out and if it turns out the FDNY just wasn't in the cards then pursue your other goals. For now, just buckle down and get in the best damn shape of our lives so we can out run, out pushup, pull up, and out smart all these 21 yr olds we'll be in the academy with God willing. Best of luck to you brother. Hope it all works out either way.

Forum Member

Good post, i always wondered how old some of you are and what the avg age at the academy is. Just turned 24 here
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Let’s still keep hope that this social experiment (Priority Hires) does not pan out. Friend of a friend said the same thing most of the PH Candidates coming in to start the process (Background, Medical ect.) Has been nothing short of embarrassing!! A retired family member (25 years OTJ) was not all that aware of what is going on now with the FDNY test (lives out of state) jaw dropped regarding the jump in seniority with the Priority Hires as well as starting salary, really thought I was joking. Keep up the fight OC guys lets just look at these bottom feeders as speed bumps in our Career; As my Mentor said these will be the “Do nothings on the Job” everything is earned from day 1 till you retire and don’t be that guy that needs someone else to do it for you.
    vekdoggs75 and Jukez like this.
    Exam# 2000

Forum Member

EMS Lt just said they are planning on 150 EMS and the rest from OC. Obviously all dependent on how many EMS make it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    EMS Lt just said they are planning on 150 EMS and the rest from OC. Obviously all dependent on how many EMS make it.
    150 EMS actually making it in to the academy? Or 150 EMS list #s to go through?

Forum Member

Got CPAT orientation dates of March 19 and 20. No dates for the first practice yet. FYI

Also, parking at HQ, any suggestions?
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    What about the PH's ?
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

There's rumors going all over the place and I can tell you they are all probably wrong. I heard someone say that they will do 1/3 EMS, 1/3 PH and 1/3 OC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Convict65USMC View Post
    Got CPAT orientation dates of March 19 and 20. No dates for the first practice yet. FYI

If you can help it... don't. Multiple subway lines and the LIRR are all nearby. If you must drive just suck it up and go to one of the lots in the area. The chances of getting legal street parking are next to 0.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Convict65USMC View Post

That's downtown ... Pretty hard to find parking ... Just put it on a lot save the agrevation and time. It'll be worth it
    Convict65USMC likes this.

Thread Information