Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    All these reports of 1/10 guys passing medicals, is this normally how it goes the first time around or has it gotten tougher? If this many guys are failing on the medical in the first class, will they be going through 1500+ list numbers to fill each class? 3 years from now I have to imagine most of the guys down the list won't have kept themselves in tip top shape. If the attrition on the medical really is this high, we're talking about going way past #8,000 on 2000 if they hire twice a year for 4 years.
    Lets hope ... Hopefully it goes down to 15000 20000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    All these reports of 1/10 guys passing medicals, is this normally how it goes the first time around or has it gotten tougher? If this many guys are failing on the medical in the first class, will they be going through 1500+ list numbers to fill each class? 3 years from now I have to imagine most of the guys down the list won't have kept themselves in tip top shape. If the attrition on the medical really is this high, we're talking about going way past #8,000 on 2000 if they hire twice a year for 4 years.
    From what I understand most of the people who fail the first step mill test because of heart rate pass the second time around when they just have to stay on it longer and be monitored for fatigue. That being said a 90% failure rate seems incredibly high. Can any guys OTJ or who took previous tests confirm if its ever been that bad? I really feel like even with the political pressure to have certain numbers make it in there's no way they green light people who are out of shape or have heart conditions. People literally die in the fire academy and the city can't afford a lawsuit because the pushed someone through who wasn't ready.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    From what I understand most of the people who fail the first step mill test because of heart rate pass the second time around when they just have to stay on it longer and be monitored for fatigue. That being said a 90% failure rate seems incredibly high. Can any guys OTJ or who took previous tests confirm if its ever been that bad? I really feel like even with the political pressure to have certain numbers make it in there's no way they green light people who are out of shape or have heart conditions. People literally die in the fire academy and the city can't afford a lawsuit because the pushed someone through who wasn't ready.
    They definitely won't give them the green light... They just going to keep going down the list... For example that guy almosthere mentioned 5'9"" 289 no way he getting a green light unless he shred 89 lbs in no time ... I'm 5'9" at 230 and have to watch how often I run because I'm not fit and can blow my knees ... My list number is way far away but like Zach said previously prepare now like if you was to get called if it Dont happend at least you did something Good to your body ... ( not in those exact words but along those lines lol )

Forum Member

Remember they have 700 some odd PH's they have to process as well. The few rumors we have read have stated that most of them are flunking the medical. They could be skewing the numbers negatively
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Remember they have 700 some odd PH's they have to process as well. The few rumors we have read have stated that most of them are flunking the medical. They could be skewing the numbers negatively
    Those failing are just failing the step mill, so they are still in the running. There are however those out of shape, but same can be said for all other list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The medical consist of them monitoring your health, such as, blood pressure, EKG and any history of broken bones, etc, not your psychical capabilities. Candidates are not failing the medical but is consist more than just stair Master. There is nothing strenuous about the medical. I failed the stair Master first shot, which was three minutes without the vest. I couldn't believe it when I found out. I wasn't breathing hard or showed any fatigued. I failed based on my heart rate. They stated I had to come back to do five minutes with the vest on. I told them, If I failed just doing the three minutes with a vest, what makes you think I am going to pass the five minutes with a 50 lb vest on. They couldn't answer it. I inquired if I can just do the eight minutes now and they said no.

People that are failing the medical is based on them having extremely high blood pressure or a bad medical history, but more than likely they are in shape to pass the physical, stair master and more than likely succeed at the Rock. FDNY is more concern with your health instead or what you are able to do physically. Can you imaging FDNY hiring someone with a terrible medical history and something happens to them OJT or while training, etc.

Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the number is 700. Isn't there only 490 PH's to pick from?

Forum Member

Almosthere, yes they are concerned about your health but they are also definitely concerned about what you can do physically. If you can't do the stair master during the medical than your bot passing the academy. Their not going to waste their time and money putting someone in the academy if that person is likely to drop out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the number is 700. Isn't there only 490 PH's to pick from?
    Closer to 470 I believe "passed" exam 2000. So yeah that's the pool they will draw from not 700. I'd be shocked if they get 100 PHs passing all the steps.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Almosthere, yes they are concerned about your health but they are also definitely concerned about what you can do physically. If you can't do the stair master during the medical than your bot passing the academy. Their not going to waste their time and money putting someone in the academy if that person is likely to drop out.
    That is not totally true. As i stated before, candidates are failing the stair master based on their heart rate not their physical capabilities. Let me use myself as an example. I run 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week. Walk the stair mile 10-11 minutes with a 50 lbs. vest 2-3 times a week, but I still failed the stair master based on my heart rate. Further, since I didn't pass the stair master only based on heart rate, that doesn't prove that I won't be successful at the Rock. You also have to remember, when you go back to redo the stair master, they pretty much allow you to do the 8 minute walk without monitoring you heart rate and only focus on how fatigue you are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Closer to 470 I believe "passed" exam 2000. So yeah that's the pool they will draw from not 700. I'd be shocked if they get 100 PHs passing all the steps.
    I agree, from what I've observed within the last week, not much PH's will complete all the steps.

Forum Member

I agree there are people who are in great shape but can't pass the stair master due to other reasons. I misunderstood what exactly you you were saying.

Forum Member

almostthere, have you done your psych yet? if so, can you give us an idea of how the process goes?
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    almostthere, have you done your psych yet? if so, can you give us an idea of how the process goes?
    my Psych is next week and I will let you guys know what to expect.
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Okay, the assessments about the medical are correct. They are not concerned so much about physical abilities as they are about you medical fitness under physical pressure. They don't want you to die on their watch. Your heart rate on the stairs is a fair measure of physical ability, but not perfect. Clearly, some people are in acceptable physical health despite a heart rate that is elevated beyond what is optimal. Those people will be assessed on a case by case basis on the second go around. So, if you can stay on the stairs a bit longer and you seem healthy and unflustered you'll be put through. If you're a fatso and your heart rate is elevated, you're finished, no chance. The example of someone at 5'8", 285 is a good example of someone who won't be passed. I'm almost 6'3" and 220 lbs.........and I need to lose weight!

As for the psych.....you'll draw two or three pictures of things they ask you to. Then you'll take a multiple choice test consisting of HUNDREDS of repetitive questions. There's no prep, there's nothing to know. They have some formula that figures out trouble tendencies, but no one will explain these things.
    mannyjay likes this.

Forum Member

There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    Why might they be asking for that on the cover sheet for the psych, just outta curiousity? They have all of that info in your investigation packet...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Why might they be asking for that on the cover sheet for the psych, just outta curiousity? They have all of that info in your investigation packet...
    Don't know why, but they do.....hope this helps.
    Off to work, any questions, pm me, cause its easier to check pm's for me at work then scrolling through post.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 03-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Member

And what do you mean you took video of the dates and jobs that you had?

Forum Member

And what do you mean you took video of the dates and jobs that you had?
    Sorry, took video of the application, very convenient at the time. I guess you can take pictures also, but just scrolled through the pages while recording. LOL

Forum Member

Sorry, took video of the application, very convenient at the time. I guess you can take pictures also, but just scrolled through the pages while recording. LOL
    Ok so you took a video recording of your background packet and therefore had that handy when certain info was asked on the psych cover sheet (last question, I swear)? I'm actually surprised they allow you to use your cellphone in there...

Forum Member

Since you have the video, do you mind PM'ing it.

Forum Member

Ok so you took a video recording of your background packet and therefore had that handy when certain info was asked on the psych cover sheet (last question, I swear)? I'm actually surprised they allow you to use your cellphone in there...
    I could've sworn she said we can use it to get phone numbers if we needed numbers. But let me say this, they will allow you to bring back the dates and employers if you can't remember them at that time. Figured you guys would want to get it out of the way at that point. Now I have to go, pm me, and I will answer questions as fast as I can. Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Since you have the video, do you mind PM'ing it.
    My luck I would send you the wrong video, and me and my wife would be all over the Internet.

Forum Member

My luck I would send you the wrong video, and me and my wife would be all over the Internet.
    LOL, that would be too funny.

Thread Information