Like Tree10463Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    Interesting that they got rid of the drawings. I was thinking about bringing my own box of crayolas this time around and putting together a masterpiece.

Forum Member

Employment wise, what do you put down if just about every company you worked for went out of business after you quit ?
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Interesting that they got rid of the drawings. I was thinking about bringing my own box of crayolas this time around and putting together a masterpiece.
    They'd think you were nuts.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

The high failure rate on the first run through of the stairs is not surprising. It is a measure of cardiovascular endurance, but is obviously affected by nerves. I remember when I did a trial run on my own time the day before my medical my HR was ~155 after the 3 minute warmup and then 10 minutes with a 50# vest. The next day at the real thing I think my HR was ~170 (cutoff for me was 175).

Also almostthere I don't understand. They stopped you after the 3 minute warmup? You're supposed to do the warmup then they look at your heart rate after you do the 5 minutes with the vest. That sounds strange to me that they would stop you half way through the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Also almostthere I don't understand. They stopped you after the 3 minute warmup? You're supposed to do the warmup then they look at your heart rate after you do the 5 minutes with the vest. That sounds strange to me that they would stop you half way through the test.

I was talking to a PH during CPAT prep and he said at least half of the people he was with were stopped during that 3 minute warm up because their heart rate was too high. I was unaware they were even monitoring your heart rate during the warm up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Employment wise, what do you put down if just about every company you worked for went out of business after you quit ?
    Timely lol

Do you happen to have a contact person @ any of the places?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I was talking to a PH during CPAT prep and he said at least half of the people he was with were stopped during that 3 minute warm up because their heart rate was too high. I was unaware they were even monitoring your heart rate during the warm up.
    You put the monitor on at the beginning. It's a standard monitor that just goes around your chest at nipple level. I didn't realize they that they'd potentially stop and fail you after just the 3 minute mark but I guess it makes sense.

The HR stairmaster test is not a perfect measure of cardiovascular endurance but I think it's reasonable, especially since failures are looked at on a case by case basis. Think what you want about it, but as Lt. Pete likes to say to us "some people drive to work, others take buses or trains. We take the stairs."
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

MM out of curiosity what was/is your resting heart rate ?

Forum Member

The high failure rate on the first run through of the stairs is not surprising. It is a measure of cardiovascular endurance, but is obviously affected by nerves. I remember when I did a trial run on my own time the day before my medical my HR was ~155 after the 3 minute warmup and then 10 minutes with a 50# vest. The next day at the real thing I think my HR was ~170 (cutoff for me was 175).

I never did the 5 mintue with the vest. I thought it was strange because the person in the room didn't say anything to me. I just went on to the next room to take my blood, etc. I found out I failed the 3 mintue walk when I went to room I beleive 11 to see the doctor. I passed everything else except the three mintues walk. I am trying to figure how is that possible that they failed me based on a warm up, not that actually 5 minute walk with the vest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    MM out of curiosity what was/is your resting heart rate ?
    Hell if I know. It's 74 right now but I had coffee an hour ago so I don't quite believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I never did the 5 mintue with the vest. I thought it was strange because the person in the room didn't say anything to me. I just went on to the next room to take my blood, etc. I found out I failed the 3 mintue walk when I went to room I beleive 11 to see the doctor. I passed everything else except the three mintues walk. I am trying to figure how is that possible that they failed me based on a warm up, not that actually 5 minute walk with the vest.
    You must be in your mid 30s since you're a ph, so just throwing a # out there. A 35 year old has to have a HR under 167 to pass. If your HR went over that in the warm up it's a safe bet that it's going to go right back over it in the actual test part.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if retrofitness has stairmasters and if they'd allow me to bring my weighted vest with me? The Y gave me a problem with it.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Seriously, and I thought for once my Art degree might be useful. Oh well.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

I am so tired of this Vulcan society bull****. Under privelaged, minorities is all I hear anymore. Oh so everyone else who is under privelaged but doesn't fall into the category of "minority" is totally fine I guess. Priority Hires don't deserve the spit off the ground from any current or future firefighter. What they're doing should be illegal. It's reverse discrimination actually if you look at it. And it's insane. These people have a sense of entitlement and that is exactly the opposite of the culture of FDNY. You EARN what you get, no one ever gives it to you on a silver platter.
    I don't agree with the commissioners son's comments one bit because they're disgusting, and I don't care what color you are. If your behind me in that building, I want to know you got there the same way I did, by fighting tooth and nail to accomplish your dreams, and by having some honor!
    Score 102
    List #7xx

Forum Member

Hell if I know. It's 74 right now but I had coffee an hour ago so I don't quite believe that.

You must be in your mid 30s since you're a ph, so just throwing a # out there. A 35 year old has to have a HR under 167 to pass. If your HR went over that in the warm up it's a safe bet that it's going to go right back over it in the actual test part.
    Yes, I am 33. Like I said in my previous post, I am more than aware I am going to fail the 5 minute walk with the 50 lbs vest in regards of heart rate,which is the reason I asked if I can just go straight to do the 8 minute walk.

Forum Member

Yes, I am 33. Like I said in my previous post, I am more than aware I am going to fail the 5 minute walk with the 50 lbs vest in regards of heart rate,which is the reason I asked if I can just go straight to do the 8 minute walk.
    They have their procedure/protocol on the subject. Don't question it, just go with the flow.

Forum Member

What I don't understand, after jogging for 50 minute/5 miles, my heart rate is below 165, so how can my heart rate exceed that within three minutes. Seems strang.

Forum Member

OKAY im gonna call BS here.

What most people think is cardiovascular fit is NOT fit at all, lol. Now I don't know exactly how I feel about testing HR max because it can have a +/- 10 bpm or so. VO2 max is much better IMO. So no its not exact. BUT the fact that 90% are failing to meet the standard is evidence enough that people are not in shape. (real shape).

Listen i'm taking it easy right now, I got an extra 6 months on the 103s, no reason to over do it, you know?
    My MINIMUM standard for myself cardiovascular wise is going to be 3 miles in 20 (6:40 pace) Mind you that after that, 3 days a week, will be followed by interval training, stair-mill and abs.
    Moreover I would like to be running for 20 mins at a 6 min mile pace. Real training especially real specific training will have your heart rate below 90% max come test day for the medical
    Last edited by coldblood92; 03-20-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Forum Member

What I don't understand, after jogging for 50 minute/5 miles, my heart rate is below 165, so how can my heart rate exceed that within three minutes. Seems strang.
    you obviously don't understand a lot of things, one of them being how to pass a civil service test like the rest of us...

First off simple elementary school math would tell you that if you are jogging 5 miles for 50 minutes you are jogging at a 10min/mile pace, you need to try harder. This is not fast enough to elevate your heart rate enough to give you a decent workout. You should know this being that you are in such great shape as you stated in prior posts.

What seems "strang" to me is the fact that you like to say how great shape you are in, and how good a firefighter you are going to be, but you admittedly failed the step-mill without a vest on. Hopefully you've learned that its easier to come on a forum and talk about how fit you are, than to actually work hard for it. Kinda like how its easier to fail a test and just sue to get a job, than it is to study for the test and earn your spot on the list.

But don't take it from me, i have just passed the medical 3 times already, and while I am still waiting for my chance at a 4th shot you can bet your *** Ive been putting in more effort than jogging 10 min miles and then talking about how fit I am in a forum...

...and excuse me if I come off with an attitude, but understand you are taking my spot in line that ive been waiting a long time for.
    BrooklynBorn and SouthBK84 like this.

Forum Member

I hadn't really been paying attention to the #s before, just commenting on the process, but yeah... 5 miles at a 10 min/mile pace is not at all impressive or relevant if trying to find a comparison to the stairmill test. What's your 1.5 mile time? If you can run 1.5 in under 12 you should be having an easier time with the stairs, but if you're running it at the same pace as your longer runs then that says a lot.

Forum Member

I hadn't really been paying attention to the #s before, just commenting on the process, but yeah... 5 miles at a 10 min/mile pace is not at all impressive or relevant if trying to find a comparison to the stairmill test. What's your 1.5 mile time? If you can run 1.5 in under 12 you should be having an easier time with the stairs, but if you're running it at the same pace as your longer runs then that says a lot.
    MM i understand 12min is the minimum requirement but that is still really slow

Forum Member

The last time i timed myself was this saturday. I ran 1.5 in 11:17.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    MM i understand 12min is the minimum requirement but that is still really slow

C'mon man, let's be fair here. 8 min/mile is not "really slow". It's a decent damn pace. 7 min/mile is damn good, and beyond that is great.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    C'mon man, let's be fair here. 8 min/mile is not "really slow". It's a decent damn pace. 7 min/mile is damn good, and beyond that is great.
    I rarely speak out on subjects like this, or feel this strongly. 8 min mile pace for a male is slow for 1.5 mile

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I rarely speak out on subjects like this, or feel this strongly. 8 min mile pace for a male is slow for 1.5 mile

Ok I guess I was thinking you meant for when one is running miles. I'll concede that for only the 1.5, it is not all that impressive no. And it is exponentially easier when you are running with others who are all pumped up as well.

Forum Member

I did my timed stairmasters on sunday. I did 3 1/2 min with no vest at 60 steps a min and hr was 121. Then when I did it with 60 lbs vest for 6 min was 151. At 10 min with 60 lb vest was 161
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Thread Information