Like Tree11258Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #8801
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    The last time i timed myself was this saturday. I ran 1.5 in 11:17.
    That's not bad. Still, it's apples to oranges when comparing the stairmill to a 5 mile run. A big part of being physically prepared for the job is having the capacity to suddenly go 0-60 and be able to keep operating. The stairmill tests that ability. A 5 mile run does not. The 1.5 mile run doesn't even have much to do with it, however I assume they use that as a way to approximate a VO2Max test.

  2. #8802
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I never did the 5 mintue with the vest. I thought it was strange because the person in the room didn't say anything to me. I just went on to the next room to take my blood, etc. I found out I failed the 3 mintue walk when I went to room I beleive 11 to see the doctor. I passed everything else except the three mintues walk. I am trying to figure how is that possible that they failed me based on a warm up, not that actually 5 minute walk with the vest.
    Now is your chance to bring yourself up to the standard and earn your spot. Take whatever time they gave you before the retest and run for an hour. Figure out what your heart rate is supposed to be and get a monitor that will alarm when you go too high or too low. Run 5 miles 3 times a week at that pace and your heart rate will get lower. Even if you're still high, they'll keep you on an extra few minutes to see if you can handle it. If you can, you're in. Garaufis can't fix this for you; YOU have to do it.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 03-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    ffbam24 and vekdoggs75 like this.

  3. #8803
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I rarely speak out on subjects like this, or feel this strongly. 8 min mile pace for a male is slow for 1.5 mile
    8 minute mile is above average according to most fitness experts but it's certainly attainable and relatively easy to maintain if you keep at it. If you can do that for a 3 mile run, you'll be fine with the running at the Rock. Except for when that guy who runs marathons every weekend runs the PT session; then you're ALL screwed.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and mocon337 like this.

  4. #8804
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I mentioned it about 200 pages ago, but I'm a (mostly retired) competitive runner and coach a high school track team. If anyone wants advice on running, cardio vascular fitness, crash training, injury prevention/maintenance, just send me a pm (or ask publicly) and I'll do my best to help you out. Don't wanna sound like a know it all, but this really is my area of expertise and I'm more than happy to help out anyone who's willing to work for this job. With a list number that's out on the bubble, I need all the good karma I can get.
    Last edited by rpnyc1; 03-20-2013 at 11:21 PM.

  5. #8805
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    8 minute mile is above average according to most fitness experts but it's certainly attainable and relatively easy to maintain if you keep at it. If you can do that for a 3 mile run, you'll be fine with the running at the Rock. Except for when that guy who runs marathons every weekend runs the PT session; then you're ALL screwed.
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but I certainly have names in my head for which instructor that might be.

  6. #8806
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    I mentioned it about 200 pages ago, but I'm a (mostly retired) competitive runner and coach a high school track team. If anyone wants advice on running, cardio vascular fitness, crash training, injury prevention/maintenance, just send me a pm (or ask publicly) and I'll do my best to help you out. Don't wanna sound like a know it all, but this it really is my area of expertise and I'm more than happy to help out anyone who's willing to work for this job. With a list number that's out on the bubble, I need all the good karma I can get.

    I definitely wouldn't mind picking your brain but your PMs aren't on.

  7. #8807
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Should be on now

  8. #8808
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but I certainly have names in my head for which instructor that might be.
    No, definitely not joking. He's real...and he's mean.

  9. #8809
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Now is your chance to bring yourself up to the standard and earn your spot. Take whatever time they gave you before the retest and run for an hour. Figure out what your heart rate is supposed to be and get a monitor that will alarm when you go too high or too low. Run 5 miles 3 times a week at that pace and your heart rate will get lower. Even if you're still high, they'll keep you on an extra few minutes to see if you can handle it. If you can, you're in. Garaufis can't fix this for you; YOU have to do it.
    I wouldnt consider anything earned in this scenario, even if he brought his fitness level up to par with usain bolt

  10. #8810
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Whats up, im new to the Forum, Congradulations to everyone on here that passed the written exam, I wish you all luck, I also took the FDNY exam #2000, im in the 2,3XX area, I was wondering if anybody from exam 2000 has been contacted further from the Fire Department, Thanks

  11. #8811
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Seeing some of the candidates at the cpat training at the rock last night really makes me feel better about my level of fitness haha.

    One guy couldn't even make 3 minutes on the stair mill after walking up 4 flights of stairs. All with vest on.

  12. #8812
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Does the detailed earning statement just past 5 years or from high school to now?

  13. #8813
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post
    Does the detailed earning statement just past 5 years or from high school to now?
    "Is the***"

  14. #8814
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    I wouldnt consider anything earned in this scenario, even if he brought his fitness level up to par with usain bolt
    Like it or not, him and guys like him are coming on the job. I'd bet serious money the orders from upstairs are to find ways to pass these guys. I'd much rather hear he took the 30 days they usually give you, ran his *** off and passed than hear that he was shuffled on to meet the quota system they claim is not in place. If he can do that, we can start to believe he wants this and is willing to do what he has to to get it.
    FDsouthbxNY and mannyjay like this.

  15. #8815
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default Im Over it

    Man alot of you guys sit here and talk S*** all day!....Obvi EVERYONE here has a good enough score to get into the Academy...weather its a few months from now or 2 years from now...Why do some of you guys feel like you need to shoot others down or constantly talk smack (everyone is at a different fitness level...if they make it great if they dont fine at least they tried!)....At this point there is nothing that can be done about the PH's... just accept and get over the fact that they are going in before alot of the OC list...Instead of complaining and talking about how fast someone should be able to do a mile....just be focused on getting YOURSELF ready...I hate logging in here and reading the same garbage over and over and over again...its getting old...I said before that i dont post but i do log in everyday to try and read up on useful information...but instead i see attitudes,complaining, arguments about the dumbest S***, and etc....come on now relax! and lets get this S*** done...

  16. #8816
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Good morning all... First time actually replying on this forum.... First off I only came on here to give some information on my husbands process being that I always get productive information on here from most of you.. I would like to start off by saying he is a priority hire, but he was also on the previous list aswell and on a special military list going in to the previous class that had gottan cancelled due to this whole lawsuit. Being that he could care less about this lawsuit and even if he thinks its is wrong should he give up an opportunity that he always wanted because whats right and wrong. He comes from a household of retired and on the job firefighters and that is all he knows and grew up to love.. 1st academy he was supposed to get into he was 3 credits shy to make it (yes his fault) the next time he passed eveything Cpat, Medical,etc.. But a few days before he was supposed to get sworn in he went away to Afghanistan.. Which lead him to be put on the special military list which of course expired this past July.. Only to find out that when he gets home that the next class is put on hold.. He is not getting younger scored very high on both previous test never thought that there was anything discrimitory towards him he just had some bad luck. Or like I would say babe it just wasnt your time... Anyway you guys do not know most of the situations of the priority hires who cares if they are not what you want them to be its the process and attitudes they have to go into now that will determine if they will be great Firefighters so stop with the hes taking my spot because you dont know anything about them.. Granted they will be some who are A holes who never wanted it but their drive and determination will tell who really wants it. My husband took the OC list and scored a 97 because he couldnt even believe it was a test he thought it was a questionier and thought it was retarded but mind you both previous test scored in the 100s so now he should just say No please I dont want this job because it is not right I'll pass it up Hellllll Noooo he better not... No one would... When ask does he want the money or job he put the job.

    Anyway heres the status and where he is at in the process

    Met his investigator handed all his paperwork End of Feb
    Medical which he completed everythin in 9 min but failed the stair master by I think 3 ( which means there not just giving anything to priorities you have to work for it. He goes back the 1st week of April to retake.

    He has been going to the Cpat sessions and everything seems easy to him even the stair master but being his is 35 he needs to work on his heart rate which he has been.

    So they are moving things along very quickly..
    mocon337 likes this.

  17. #8817
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Sorrryyy I forgot to add he had taken his written Psy early in March

  18. #8818
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    104
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  19. #8819
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quick question to guys who have gone over there already. The social security office in Brooklyn is the one at 26 court street yeah?

  20. #8820
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thank You Kennybobo, I understand exactly what you are saying. This is my first time posting something but I have been following this forum since day 1. After seeing all the negative post her I cant put help to wonder if the FDNY is what it really is when coming to being raciest or is it just a few people that’s giving it a bad name) I wonder how I will be treated, I am NOT a PH but I am BLACK and a FEMALE at that. I took the test 2000, which was my first time, I still have a long wait to be hopefully called with my list number 3XXX (can’t believe my score was a 99, and such a high list number) but I am keeping my figures cross that time flies.

    I don’t totally like the whole idea of how the PH’S came about but it’s nothing that could be done. We all just have to make the best of it. As the timing goes running under 12 should be nothing if you are in shape, I was a competitive runner for most of my life and yes almostthere you will have to run much faster miles than that at your peak heart rate for you to see a difference. You have to push yourself.

  21. #8821
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    See Im still confused about what the stay is on... every time I read something about the second circuit court putting a stay it seems like PHs will not be getting hired as of yet or at all depending on the ruling. I still think the FDNY is processing them to get them out the way just in case.

    Anyone agree, disagree? I'm not sure myself

  22. #8822
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    Thank You Kennybobo, I understand exactly what you are saying. This is my first time posting something but I have been following this forum since day 1. After seeing all the negative post her I cant put help to wonder if the FDNY is what it really is when coming to being raciest or is it just a few people that’s giving it a bad name) I wonder how I will be treated, I am NOT a PH but I am BLACK and a FEMALE at that. I took the test 2000, which was my first time, I still have a long wait to be hopefully called with my list number 3XXX (can’t believe my score was a 99, and such a high list number) but I am keeping my figures cross that time flies.

    I don’t totally like the whole idea of how the PH’S came about but it’s nothing that could be done. We all just have to make the best of it. As the timing goes running under 12 should be nothing if you are in shape, I was a competitive runner for most of my life and yes almostthere you will have to run much faster miles than that at your peak heart rate for you to see a difference. You have to push yourself.
    Hey Letssee, not really sure what you mean about people being racist, especially your future brothers and sisters. That seems like a lazy blanket term that doesn't fit 99% of the people who post on this forum let alone the FDNY. People aren't mad about any one race, they are mad about the unfairness of the court ruling and people who don't deserve spots at all cutting in line. They are upset about having their lives put on hold for half a decade. I don't think I've actually seen one negative comment about black or Hispanic people on this entire forum over almost 9,000 posts, so maybe you are reading into things and seeing racism where there isn't?

    You have a good score and congrats on that, you should be just as upset about the PH situation as the rest of us since they will be jumping ahead of you as well.
    List # 12XX

  23. #8823
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post
    Does the detailed earning statement just past 5 years or from high school to now?
    It's the last 5 years that are available.

  24. #8824
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I do admit I was a bit general regarding the racist/negative comments but I did say it could be just a few people giving the FDNY a bad name, I was also referring to the comment of the commissioner's son. I was just talking in general.

    Thank you and good luck to everyone,
    River6019 likes this.

  25. #8825
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    River6019
    Sorry should have replied using the 'Reply with Quote' just getting the hang of this

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 24 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 19 guests)

  1. JRodPizza ,
  2. kd44,
  3. Matador611,
  4. nptks,
  5. SleepyHollow

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register