Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 358 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 258308348355356357358359360361368408458858 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 20353
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I took a tutorial and the firefighters there told us that the number one guy in the academy is always a skinny dude that could bang out 30-40 pull ups like nothing.
    #30XX

Forum Member

Does anyone know if once you become a firefighter if you have to keep your NY license?

Like would I be able to temporary change it to another state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Also, this wasn't too clear. Is he referring to the written exam?

"The FDNY has implemented written policies for the hiring process, and has every intention to continue to adhere to them," Pestana said.
    I am thinking this is talking about the not calling investigators with the intention of vouching for people and practices of nepotism benefiting those who have family or friends on the job.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    I took a tutorial and the firefighters there told us that the number one guy in the academy is always a skinny dude that could bang out 30-40 pull ups like nothing.
    well what does this say about how we should be working out LOL.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I just read over the article. It seems pretty clear that the stay is on PHs.

"A federal appeals panel today froze the activities of a team of court-appointed special monitors assigned to watch over hiring and promotion practices at the FDNY."

The monitor was in place to ensure that PHs got hired at the ratio they were suppose to be and that the new exam hired reflective of the city population. Without this monitor there is no way that the city would go forward and hire PHs. The city will lose large amounts of money for every PH hired. Not just because of back pay. But the years of pension that will be received from PHs.

I'm 99% sure this means that no PH will be hired until after a ruling in there favor. And in all likelihood I do not see that happening. Any judge who objectively looks at the quantitative data could not make a decision as Garaufis has. In my humble opinion I think Garaufis had a vendetta for the FDNY
    I really hope this is true but keep in mind the Merit Matters lawyers are pretty sure it might not be and they seem to really know their stuff. I just hope the final ruling is meant to include the PH hires at least, if not that is ridiculous.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I also wouldn't put much stock in having a lot of EMS promotional in the next class. I have a friend who is in the EMS academy now who told me that the head of hiring for the Fdny stated in the beginning of January that...

"There will definitely be another firefighter class in late July. The EMS promotionals is pretty much done aside from a handful of guys who aren't at their two years yet. The majority of the class will be filled with OC and whatever comes of the PH."

Everything she has said thus far is true and she is the lady who signs the bottom of your offer of employment letters so I'm guessing she knows what's going on.
    HopefulFF and DannyD0pe like this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Who cares, stop talking about his body. This isn't the GQ Forums. We know some of you guys are jelous.
    Lol you better have a 8 pack to back it up
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    What do they test for to determine the number one guy? The guy who can do the most sit-ups, push ups, pull ups?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Does anyone know if once you become a firefighter if you have to keep your NY license?

One of the qualifications of being in the fdny is that you have to live in NYC. I mean maybe you could I don't know to many details about it but if you do you still have to be a resident of NYC. I knew of a few guys that said they lived I NYC but they lived in jersey and they got fired.
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    What do they test for to determine the number one guy? The guy who can do the most sit-ups, push ups, pull ups?
    No not just that I mean physical shape does a play a big role but you gotta be able to pass the classroom tests as well
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    One of the qualifications of being in the fdny is that you have to live in NYC. I mean maybe you could I don't know to many details about it but if you do you still have to be a resident of NYC. I knew of a few guys that said they lived I NYC but they lived in jersey and they got fired.
    Wrong. NYC + Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, and Orange Counties. As far as whether or not you need to keep a NYS driver's license I would assume so, but don't know for sure. ALL of this info is readily available in the NOE though, and shouldn't even be debated here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    well what does this say about how we should be working out LOL.
    Oh no lets instead listen to the "personal trainer" and go lift some heavy weights, im pretty sure he knows more than the firefighters we all know who been through the academy already.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post

You must have a valid NYS drivers license for the duration of your career. If it expires, ect., they know immediately.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

My brother, who stands 6'3'' and weighs 215 lbs, is able to run a mile in about 6:45. He can do 18-20 pull-ups and 80-100 push-ups and sit-ups, when tested. His job requires that he be able to operate with 40-60 lbs of 'kit," while hiking and sometimes, running, through mountainous terrain for 8-10 hours. If I had to guess, he probably has 18% or so as far as body fat percentage goes. He also was the top man in his academy class, which is considered to one of the toughest law enforcement academies in the country. He happens to incorporate weights into his training regimen, among many other components which he changes up about every 6 weeks.

The point here is 1) People of different body types can perform similar tasks, at similar intensity levels and 2) It is not enough to be proficient in one area of skill - IE - muscular endurance. I consider firefighters to be 'industrial" or 'tactical" athletes. To me, this means our future job requires skill in multiple areas - IE muscular endurance, muscular strength and movement skills (the ability to move and operate under a load). To me, being able to run a mile in 6:15, do 100 push ups and 20 pull-ups is not enough. That surely shows an excellent base of fitness, there's no doubt about that. That is excellent and a person having the ability to perform those tasks will likely do well. But, in the academy and eventually, out in the field, we will be required to operate under loads ranging from 70-125 lbs or more and perform tasks under that load. I also think the development of "hardiness" or mental toughness is important. In my experience, this is what separates one person from another in their abilities.

My understanding is that much of what is done with the PT is to build a base level of fitness, to break the 'bad' habits we've learned out in the world and to break us down, build us into a team that works and operates as one, build a willingness to sacrifice for one another and to develop toughness in all of us, among other things. Then, as time, goes on, this base is slowly built upon, to ensure we are able to operate to the best of our abilities. Essentially, to me, they will be teaching us their way, in the way of the FDNY, which have been tested and developed over many years, by many great men. I personally think it is one of the premier training academies in the world, in terms of developing not just great firefighters, but people.

In the past, at least in my view, the best firefighters were guys who looked rather ordinary, in terms of their physical appearance. Legends like Chief Ray Downey, Captain Patty Brown, and Chief John Pritchard, among many, many others, weren't spectacular in stature by any means, but those men did some amazing things on the fireground, let me tell you that. They also happened to be pretty extraordinary people in general.

If anyone is interested, mountain athlete or military athlete are pretty good websites to check out.

It is awesome to see guys training hard, consistently, intelligently and being ready for whatever might come our way. Enjoy the snow!
    Last edited by Minerva; 02-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You must have a valid NYS drivers license for the duration of your career. If it expires, ect., they know immediately.
    Thanks for the confirmation on this one - wouldn't common sense tell you if you have to live in NY (City or surrounding counties) then you basically need to have a NY Drivers License?
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

By the way guys, who ever is looking to buy a weighted vest they have a 80 lbs vest on amazon for 149.99 plus shipping( around $45 ) . I think that's a pretty good buy, I might spend the money myself since my 60 lbs is a little too beat up and I was looking for something heavier anyways.

Forum Member

What's up guys. I'm new to the forum (first time posting) and just wanted to say hello/good luck to all. Like most of you, I've been waiting for another opportunity since 6019. Greatly anticipating a letter and hoping for January (currently on that other city job). Thanks for all the info!
    frankp88 likes this.
    FDNY Exam #2000
    Score = 102
    List #13XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation on this one - wouldn't common sense tell you if you have to live in NY (City or surrounding counties) then you basically need to have a NY Drivers License?
    I also don't see why the OP would ever need to change his license to anywhere else. You can drive where ever you want, if you are trying to get cheaper insurance... it's not worth losing the job.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/new-...ring-1.4584934

Another article about the stay. Slightly more in depth but still no indication of the PHs one way or the other. With the hiring monitor out of the picture I wonder if the city can just hire how they want. Hard to tell.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    http://newyork.newsday.com/news/new-...ring-1.4584934

Another article about the stay. Slightly more in depth but still no indication of the PHs one way or the other. With the hiring monitor out of the picture I wonder if the city can just hire how they want. Hard to tell.
    I hate to be pessimistic, but unfortunately this situation has made me that kinda guy. I just see this ruling giving back full control of hiring to the Dept without oversight from the Monitor. I also assume it saves the City $$ since they won't be paying for that thief Cohen's services for now.

Thread Information