Like Tree9885Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    All this talk of the OC list not getting touched for this July class kinda terrifies me. It also has me baffled. Why would the prevailing opinion be that the July class will be completely filled with PHs and promos when they only have 470 PHs and a 200 promos to draw from? Unless my understanding of what the hiring ratios normally are is out of whack it still seems like at least 100-150 academy spots will have to come from the OC list. Does anyone have some insight here? Are they expecting almost all the PHs to make it into the academy?
    I'm with you. It makes no sense to me either, but part of me does wonder if I feel this way because I want it to be true. Under normal circumstances with any list, they probably couldn't get 300 people from 690 spots. Only way I saw them not touching the OC list would be if they didn't want to start the clock on it if they didn't need more than 50 or so people from it, and then maybe losing 6 months of list life for 50 spots wouldn't be worth it but then they're putting through another condensed class which may only graduate around 200 people.

Forum Member

The guy at CPAT orientation said there are roughly 1200 taking the test. I guess he was talking physical test......
    Anyways, he said out of that number, some will fail the PT, the run, other parts of the hiring, and some just wont show for the test, and also won't show up for the academy. He said the number will drop from 1200 to roughly 600, then from that number they will get the 300-320.
    I don't know where he got those numbers from, just relaying what he said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    The guy at CPAT orientation said there are roughly 1200 taking the test. I guess he was talking physical test......
    Anyways, he said out of that number, some will fail the PT, the run, other parts of the hiring, and some just wont show for the test, and also won't show up for the academy. He said the number will drop from 1200 to roughly 600, then from that number they will get the 300-320.
    I've heard the 1200 too, I think it's the 470 PHs, 730ish OC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I'm with you. It makes no sense to me either, but part of me does wonder if I feel this way because I want it to be true. Under normal circumstances with any list, they probably couldn't get 300 people from 690 spots. Only way I saw them not touching the OC list would be if they didn't want to start the clock on it if they didn't need more than 50 or so people from it, and then maybe losing 6 months of list life for 50 spots wouldn't be worth it but then they're putting through another condensed class which may only graduate around 200 people.
    That's what they're going to need. Something Ike 50 of you for this summer. They're not going to hold off starting the list. If they need 50 guys, they'll take 50 guys. If they need 20, they'll hire 20. They don't care when the list expires. Whenever it does, they'll be another list waiting right behind it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I've heard the 1200 too, I think it's the 470 PHs, 730ish OC.

You are forgetting EMS.

Forum Member

This seems more in line with how I figured these things shake out. Bottom line, you need ~1200 to get ~300. I'd wager by the end of April we'll have a much more accurate idea of how deep they'll get on the OC.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You are forgetting EMS.
    Ya there should be 100-200 EMS people left but what we're referencing is at The Rock they're telling us 1200 are being processed right now, trying to figure out who makes up that number.

Forum Member

All this talk of the OC list not getting touched for this July class kinda terrifies me. It also has me baffled. Why would the prevailing opinion be that the July class will be completely filled with PHs and promos when they only have 470 PHs and a 200 promos to draw from? Unless my understanding of what the hiring ratios normally are is out of whack it still seems like at least 100-150 academy spots will have to come from the OC list. Does anyone have some insight here? Are they expecting almost all the PHs to make it into the academy?
    Wait - Who said they're not going to touch the OC list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Wait - Who said they're not going to touch the OC list?
    Just something a few people here have said they heard from instructors over the last week. Seems crazy to me too. I'm sure the people who said it were just guessing. Though I'm not sure why you'd wanna tell a guy with a list number around 100-400 he might not be hired till possibly January/ July 2014.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Just something a few people here have said they heard from instructors over the last week. Seems crazy to me too. I'm sure the people who said it were just guessing. Though I'm not sure why you'd wanna tell a guy with a list number around 100-400 he might not be hired till possibly January/ July 2014.
    Some are rumors and some are true, sucks we don't know which is which. I heard that right after this summer class, they are definitely gonna have a class in January. Again hearsay.....

Forum Member

Some are rumors and some are true, sucks we don't know which is which. I heard that right after this summer class, they are definitely gonna have a class in January. Again hearsay.....
    Thats what the lady told our group at headquarters yesterday. She said the clock hasnt even started ticking on the OC list and that it has in fact not yet been established. Then she said that all of us in the room were possibly gunning for a January/July 2014 class. With my list number, Im just planning on a January class if all goes well. But looks like guys in the 1-200 range may be going in for July since some of them have already gotten their psych/med dates.

As we say in the Army, "Hurry up and Wait" is the name of the game. No surprises here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Thats what the lady told our group at headquarters yesterday. She said the clock hasnt even started ticking on the OC list and that it has in fact not yet been established.
    How you want to define the "clock running" is up for debate. Remember, your investigator works for the FDNY. DCAS manages the list. If the list hasn't been established, where are they getting your names from to call you for the intake? Here's a hint: The List. It has been established and they are using it right now, that's where you came from.

Guys, it's really early to worry about the life of the list. No one knows what the hiring ratio is going to be. This list is going to be the source of proby classes twice a year until sometime at the end of 2016/early2017. That's a long way off! Stop worrying!

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys, it's really early to worry about the life of the list. No one knows what the hiring ratio is going to be. This list is going to be the source of proby classes twice a year until sometime at the end of 2016/early2017. That's a long way off! Stop worrying!
    This is good advice. These things are beyond your control. Worry about staying in shape and out of trouble; those are the only things you have any say in right now. Let the bean counters up at Metrotech and DCAS count the beans; that's why they're bean counters.
    vekdoggs75 and MuscleHamster like this.

Forum Member

Wow if first OC class doesn't go in until next July looks like my best bet is Ems/next promo exam with my list number

Forum Member

Being that I almost made 2043 (List #mid 5000s) and got dicked from 6019 (list# in the 700s), I can say that the list moves quicker than you would think. Focus on preparing for every step of the process so that when your list # is reached, you just breeze right through it.

Forum Member

How you want to define the "clock running" is up for debate. Remember, your investigator works for the FDNY. DCAS manages the list. If the list hasn't been established, where are they getting your names from to call you for the intake? Here's a hint: The List. It has been established and they are using it right now, that's where you came from.

Yes thats what i was saying yesterday. If the list hasnt been established then how/why in the world are we sitting in the metrotech auditorium for investigation? Confused the crap outta me lol. Im just glad the process has indeed started and that my investigation is rolling. Between that and CPAT training ive got enough on my plate for now.

Forum Member

Also, after seeing what theyre asking for proof of residency, lots of guys on the list are being pushed back. Heck i almost lost my spot for a second until i rememberedmy old bank account with chase. Thank goodness for that. Guys who will have it the easiest will be those youngens who still live at home.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Guys who will have it the easiest will be those youngens who still live at home.

Or not quite as a young'in as those you speak of, but has two drawers stuffed to the max full of multiple bills and the such since 6019. I think I know a guy like that.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Whether or not the list starts now or in January actually makes a huge difference for those of us out on the bubble. If the list doesn't count as established until they start the first hire off of it, then they could put a class of promos/PHs in this summer and then do 8 or 9 classes entirely off the list from jan14-jan18, or they could put in 1/3 of a class worth of OC guys now and hire 7 or 8 more full classes off the list until july17. To the guys up front it's just a matter of how long you gotta wait, for the guys further down, that could be an extra 1000 list numbers that get called.

I'm not rooting against anyone, or saying I have any idea what's gonna happen, all I'm saying is it makes a big difference!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Or not quite as a young'in as those you speak of, but has two drawers stuffed to the max full of multiple bills and the such since 6019. I think I know a guy like that.
    I know man. They're asking for 12 months worth of uility from july 2010-july 2011. Im like "who has that?". Good for u cuz you were already in the loop from 6019.

I told my investigator that some of these requirements will be impossible for many people, almost to the point where it seems as if there's some sort of conscious effort to take away points from as many people as possible. She said she agrees and that she's glad she's not the one who made the rules on this one. Even NYPD was'nt this riduculous with residency. Very few people would actually have 12 months worth of bills stuffed in the closet from 3 years ago; and something tells me that they know that. But hey...

Forum Member

I know man. They're asking for 12 months worth of uility from july 2010-july 2011. Im like "who has that?". Good for u cuz you were already in the loop from 6019.

I told my investigator that some of these requirements will be impossible for many people, almost to the point where it seems as if there's some sort of conscious effort to take away points from as many people as possible. She said she agrees and that she's glad she's not the one who made the rules on this one. Even NYPD was'nt this riduculous with residency. Very few people would actually have 12 months worth of bills stuffed in the closet from 3 years ago; and something tells me that they know that. But hey...
    In the least selfish way possible i hope alot of people cant prove residency lol, except all of you guys of course
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

I think that there will be some oc candidates in the July class, why process over 700 people if your applicant pool was already upto the desired number. While I don't think they will come close to 720 on the oc list this summer at least people in the top 100 should be physically,mentally and financially prepared. My list is low 200s and I honestly don't think I will be reached because all the guys in the low numbers are less likely to differ. All I can do is hope there was a lot of 18 year olds that have to wait

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    why process over 700 people if your applicant pool was already upto the desired number.
    Because real life doesn't always go as planned. From what I've heard I think they expected to get 2 full classes off of 2500, but that's obviously not the case. It would be a travesty to start the academy with less than a full class, so they will canvas way more than needed to be sure that they have enough.

Shouldn't matter much to you guys, you're going to have to get processed sooner or later.

Forum Member

As far as residency goes, I used my W-2's, my bank account and my college loan billing statements. I don't believe you necessarily need to have utility bills. It would be impossible for me to prove that, being both of the places I've lived, my utilities were included in the rent cost.

I also had my tax returns going back to 2009 and credit card billing statements. For my banking and credit card statements, I called my bank and they sent me the statements for that time period. Same for my college loan billing statements.

For those that are worried, one of the documents I have listing the acceptable forms of proof says something like 'can accept other documents in lieu of...' Or something of that nature. Meaning if you have legitimate forms of proof, they can chose to accept it.

I simply take it one step at a time, especially with the last several years, I don't expect anything until I'm actually there, participating in that step of the process.

As far as how many people it will take, I think there are too many variables to tell how the numbers will come out. Just be ready for when they come calling.
    Last edited by Minerva; 03-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    In the least selfish way possible i hope alot of people cant prove residency lol, except all of you guys of course
    Lol...That thought DID cross my mind, but only for a second of course. I was just thinking of how many people will be losing their spots; and its gonna be quite a number. My investigator told me that EVERYONE she interviewed raised an issue with residency, asking tons of questions about it, even myself.

But of course we're raising questions. These people want you to prove residency TWICE. First to retain the 5 points, which is when u have to show every piece of goddamn mail youve ever recieved in your entire life, and second to prove CURRENT residence before appointment, which can be achieved by simply showing any 3 pieces of mail recieved within the last 60 days which REFLECT ACTIVITY at that residence. Its mind boggling to say the least, and definetely redundant.

Like i said, the only thing that saved my *ss was that checking account i just happened to have with Chase from 09-11. Without that, i wouldve been on the Sanitation website today lol.

Thread Information