Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Should I be saving bank statements then from this point on? I'm #21xx and was 19 when I applied for the exam so I have that u-21 option, but just to be safe?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Lol...That thought DID cross my mind, but only for a second of course. I was just thinking of how many people will be losing their spots; and its gonna be quite a number. My investigator told me that EVERYONE she interviewed raised an issue with residency, asking tons of questions about it, even myself.

But of course we're raising questions. These people want you to prove residency TWICE. First to retain the 5 points, which is when u have to show every piece of goddamn mail youve ever recieved in your entire life, and second to prove CURRENT residence before appointment, which can be achieved by simply showing any 3 pieces of mail recieved within the last 60 days which REFLECT ACTIVITY at that residence. Its mind boggling to say the least, and definetely redundant.

Like i said, the only thing that saved my *ss was that checking account i just happened to have with Chase from 09-11. Without that, i wouldve been on the Sanitation website today lol.

I wish I had the problem of proving residency, if only Yonkers was a boro....
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Should I be saving bank statements then from this point on? I'm #21xx and was 19 when I applied for the exam so I have that u-21 option, but just to be safe?
    Dude, save EVERYTHING. Find a room and just throw it all in there. Rent storage space if u have to. EVERYTHING.

Forum Member

Theyll be asking for way more than that little packet led us to believe. I showed her the paper with the items listed pertaining to what we should bring. She looked at it for like 10 seconds and said "Yeah, i dont know why they send you guys this". Then she asked me for like twice as many things. So save everything man. This residency stuff is serious. Guess they must have a bloody history with past candidates and residency fraud...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Now would be the time to get all your stuff in order to prove you lived where you did during that period. I learned this stuff when I was getting together necessary documents to get a mortgage. Getting bank statements and stuff like that only gets harder as time goes on, and you don't want to be trying to take care of that stuff on a tight deadline. Sort it out to the best of your ability now, put everything in a folder and put it away. You'll thank yourself later.

Forum Member

There were a lot of people like that the day I went to the intake interview, caught off guard with all the documents being requested. Did any of you get the sheet with all the stuff they can ask you for, from your investigator? That sheet is huge and there is a lot of stuff listed on there.
    Last edited by Minerva; 03-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Also, after seeing what theyre asking for proof of residency, lots of guys on the list are being pushed back. Heck i almost lost my spot for a second until i rememberedmy old bank account with chase. Thank goodness for that. Guys who will have it the easiest will be those youngens who still live at home.
    Maybe thats what she meant about the list. Lots of people are gonna lose residency. Why do you say people at home have it the easiest? I would think it would be harder since they have less stuff in their name?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Now would be the time to get all your stuff in order to prove you lived where you did during that period. I learned this stuff when I was getting together necessary documents to get a mortgage. Getting bank statements and stuff like that only gets harder as time goes on, and you don't want to be trying to take care of that stuff on a tight deadline. Sort it out to the best of your ability now, put everything in a folder and put it away. You'll thank yourself later.
    Good idea. Can some one remind me on the actually residency period? please.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Good idea. Can some one remind me on the actually residency period? please.
    Why don't you go to the source? The NOE never lies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    There were a lot of people like that the day I went to the intake interview, caught off guard with all the documents being requested. Did any of you get the sheet with all the stuff they can ask you for, from your investigator? That sheet is huge and there is a lot of stuff listed on there.
    Yes, but you don't need all of them. You need 3 proofs of residency, any of the 3 on that list will work. There are sections on that big sheet, and in each section, you need a certain amount of each. You notice that they mark all the ones you have, and all the ones you need. Then at the end, they have you initial that big sheet next to the documents you have provided. We listed the documents you needed somewhere in this thread before. Maybe you missed it, hope you can get your paperwork together. Good luck

Forum Member

Why don't you go to the source? The NOE never lies.
    Yeah thought of that after I posted. But still am not 100% confident in the answer, because it it worded differently every line.

Candidates applying for New York City Residency Credit must provide any three of the following:
    • Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the 12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Is it that hard to figure out? Monthly statements for July 2010 to June 2011 (the 12 months prior to July 1, 2011).
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Yes, but you don't need all of them. You need 3 proofs of residency, any of the 3 on that list will work. There are sections on that big sheet, and in each section, you need a certain amount of each. You notice that they mark all the ones you have, and all the ones you need. Then at the end, they have you initial that big sheet next to the documents you have provided. We listed the documents you needed somewhere in this thread before. Maybe you missed it, hope you can get your paperwork together. Good luck
    Sorry for not being clear enough, my point was not that I had a problem with the documents, but that other people at the intake were surprised and that there are many, many options given on that sheet.

My 'paperwork' has been together and organized for a number of years. I had all the documents I needed, plus some. And as you noted, I initialed all those boxes that my investigator marked off, so considering that, it would be hard for me to miss the fact they were marked off.

My approach is to listen closely, follow directions and read whatever notices they send me carefully and it goes pretty smoothly.
    Last edited by Minerva; 03-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Forum Member

I'm only gonna be able to produce bank statements and W-2's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    I'm only gonna be able to produce bank statements and W-2's.

Im in the same EXACT boat... I'm gonna have my dad sign something that is notarized saying I live/d with him. Bring his W2 showing he declares me or whatever. Ill bring my ****ing bed if I have to!

Forum Member

4 more candidates resigned including 1 female on 3/27

Does anyone know at what point when they can no longer be recycled?

Forum Member

Is it that hard to figure out? Monthly statements for July 2010 to June 2011 (the 12 months prior to July 1, 2011).
    Is it that crazy of me to just want to confirm so I am not missing a month. thanks for the info. Mr High Horse jk.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I'm not really religious but being raised in a catholic background one of the prayers I really did like was the Serenity Prayer and it applies to all of you worrying and getting stressed out about whether you'll be in the July Or Winter class:

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

With the bank and credit statements, I can just print them out online and hand them in right? Also I lived with my friend for about 8 months, should I list that? I had a lease and all that but stayed at home a lot too, both are in brooklyn. I just don't want to bring proof of living in the apt with my friends since it'll just be a headache. and all my bills and everything continued to go to my parents house, so I'm not sure if i should even list it and just stick with just my parents
    Last edited by SnatchBK; 03-29-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

So even though I have a while before I get processed should I get a notarized letter now?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Why do you say people at home have it the easiest? I would think it would be harder since they have less stuff in their name?
    Becuase my investigator gave me an additional document titled "Requirements And Reminder Notice". Its a huge sheet where she highlights everything that she has recieved so far as well as any further documents that she requires.

Not necessarily easier if you live at home, but like i said, the "young'ins"; those who were 21 or younger at the time they submitted the APPLICATION for exam 2000. On the back of the sheet she gave me its states, and i quote: "...as an alternative (to the standard, ridiculous requirements that everyone else has to provide), candidates who are 21 years of age or younger at the time of their application to take the exam may provide:

*A diploma from a NYC public High School; AND
    *(only) One proof of residency

So young guys (21-) staying at home will have it much easier as far as residency. Its the old guys like me who have age (32 yrs) and have been away from mama & papa who must dig a little deeper.

I dont even know if it makes sense to tell anyone on the OC to start saving their documents from now on. Anything u save from this point on doesnt mean a damn thing. They specifically want documents covering the specified period of JULY 2010-JULY 2011. So saving things from now on doesnt make a difference. It MUST be for that time period only.

Forum Member

I dont even know if it makes sense to tell anyone on the OC to start saving their documents from now on. Anything u save from this point on doesnt mean a damn thing. They specifically want documents covering the specified period of JULY 2010-JULY 2011. So saving things from now on doesnt make a difference. It MUST be for that time period only.
    ...at least as far as THIS list concerned. If you think that your chances for getting on the job from this exam are slim, and you are young enough to take the next exam in 4 years, then it would be wise for u to start saving EVERYTHING you can from now on. But if exam 2000 is your last shot, then nothing saved from this point on will do any good.

Forum Member

To the people worried about getting documentation for residency points, start calling up whatever company that has a bill in your name during that time period and start requesting the paperwork. Most companies will oblige, they may charge you for it but if you want this job bad enough you will pay it. I have my cable bills, two separate credit card bills, checking account statements, and 40 some odd pay stubs from that time period. I'm still debating if I should contact t-mobile to send me my phone bills during that time just to play it safe. I think tmo charges $5.00 per bill and when I requested a couple of missing bills from Time Warner they charged me $10.00-$15.00 but I think that was a flat fee if you needed one old bill or several old bills.
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 03-29-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

There's no need to drive for eastern queens to SI and pay for a cpat training course when you can do everything at home for free. Biggest loss is access to a stair master but easily fixed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    There's no need to drive for eastern queens to SI and pay for a cpat training course when you can do everything at home for free. Biggest loss is access to a stair master but easily fixed.
    Not so fast. It's not all strength and endurance with that. Getting used to the way the machine works and developing a cadence and balance are key things that walking a regular flight of stairs won't give you. Touch the side or handrail for too long and they'll fail you. Find a local gym that has a stepmill. The CPAT IS a cakewalk, but running the exact course a few times so you know you can ace it before you do it for real is a smart move.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Teufelhunden36 is right, find a gym. Unless you can practice in a high rise, it will not be the same. I was doing it on my deck, but just wasnt the same. Sucks you have to come down to come back up, it wastes a lot of time. I went to NYSC yesterday and did 16 minutes with the vest, you just have to concentrate on just the steps, it's great.

Thread Information