Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 363 of 1194 FirstFirst ... 263313353360361362363364365366373413463863 ... LastLast
Results 7,241 to 7,260 of 23875
Like Tree9342Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    There really isn't anymore Emts and Medics to go through. Except for a handful of guys still waiting for their 2 year requirement that list is currently done.
    There's about 200 of them left if they only got to # 710 on the promo list for the first class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    There really isn't anymore Emts and Medics to go through. Except for a handful of guys still waiting for their 2 year requirement that list is currently done.
    If there aren't that many EMTs still on 2500 and God-willing the PHs get held up/scattered, I think guys in the 2000's should stay vigilant for getting something this summer. Keep getting more fit. And if you're going to take a p*ss or have a drink, make sure it's done INDOORS.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    And if you're going to take a p*ss or have a drink, make sure it's done INDOORS.
    There go my plans for this weekend.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Boys don't forget that most of the guys dropped from proby school WILL get recycled again for the summer class.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Boys don't forget that most of the guys dropped from proby school WILL get recycled again for the summer class.
    What? I thought they would make you resign if you dropped or failed proby school. You get recycled?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

hmmmm..interesting...im assuming that only people that got a minor injury in the current class would be recycled into the next one.

Still trying to get a blank copy of the CPD-B. Anyone know how to get one?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Are you cereal?
    Jukez likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Does anyone agree with my predictions for what list numbers they might reach up to on the OC list?

i figure around 9 full classes for the OC (Little more then 2 a year plus the free class at the end of the list)

320 per class times 9 classes = 2880 candidates
    1:3 ratio= 8640
    1:4= 11520
    1:4.5=12960
    I'm hoping the ratio goes higher than that !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    There's about 200 of them left if they only got to # 710 on the promo list for the first class.
    They currently called to process about 700 ish candidate from the oc list ... If with EMT, PH, and oc don't complete a class of 320 would they call more ppl from the oc to complete the class ????

Forum Member

Does anyone know if dumbbells are provided for us in the academy or we have to bring our own? If we have to get them what do they want you to get? Wouldn't want to have to buy something twice.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    hmmmm..interesting...im assuming that only people that got a minor injury in the current class would be recycled into the next one.

Still trying to get a blank copy of the CPD-B. Anyone know how to get one?
    If you resign from Proby School you can be placed back at the top of the list and try again in the next one. Only if you are fired are you barred from returning. If they're going to fire you for deficiency, they'll usually offer to allow you to resign first, rather than be terminated.

Don't be in that position........

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    Does anyone know if dumbbells are provided for us in the academy or we have to bring our own? If we have to get them what do they want you to get? Wouldn't want to have to buy something twice.
    They have dumbells. Just bring what they tell you too. You'll pick this all up.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

has anyone got any updates on what the news is with PHs? Are they entering the next class?

Almostthere, maybe you have the best insight.

Forum Member

Anyone who went to informational session today or who knows, how did you dress? business casual? and we don't need anything other than ourselves? correct.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Just curious if anyone know what happens if you get sick while your in proby school? I e from the flu,high fever, or bronchitis? Do they recycle you or do they flat out get rid of you because your a sicko?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Just curious if anyone know what happens if you get sick while your in proby school? I e from the flu,high fever, or bronchitis? Do they recycle you or do they flat out get rid of you because your a sicko?
    Everyone is dealt with on a case by case basis. If you're early in your proby school career and you get sick, so sick you can't show? Well, you might have to recycle, meaning start from the beginning. If you get injured on the job, you will most CERTAINLY be put light duty and be placed in the next class at the point they deem necessary.

Listen, the point is, you have to tough it out. After the academy and a few months of straight tours, you'll be doing 24's and that means 25+ hours at work, straight. 25+ because we show up an hour early for everything, right? Working 24s can rough you up, long nights of runs every hour on the hour will make you hate life the next day. Deal.....just deal.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 02-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    SkylinePCG, emtnyc2012 and Mtk123 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Anyone who went to informational session today or who knows, how did you dress? business casual? and we don't need anything other than ourselves? correct.
    Dress in a respectable manner. Business casual is absolutely fine, basically just don't go in looking like a turd. If possible make sure you have your medical paper signed when you go in. I know that it doesn't say it in the email, but if you have yours signed it will go smoother for you.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

I'm going through an academy now(much easier than fires) and had a stomach virus for 3 days. You just suck it up best you can. There's 40,xxx other people who want your spot.
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    bronchitis? Ain't no one got time for that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Yea im pretty sure you'll be fine. Remember that they will soon be hiring felons according to my packet and an article in the nypost. And the fdny has also stated that certain criminal charges will not bar you from employment, even if such charges are still pending.

With that said, i wouldnt worry about anything minor which happened years ago and was in fact dismissed. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to be completely honest and to leave nothing undisclosed on your part, especially since anything you may try to hide is already documented within the system anyway. If its been documented, they WILL find out.
    Thanks a lot bro, I recently got my packet and I'm going crazy hoping all the idiot mistakes I made in college won't screw me over and they won't base my judgement of good moral character on a few dumb mistakes, I always help women with carriages down and up stairs Lol

Forum Member

Article from the chief with a little more info:

Appeals Court Halts Use of U.S. Monitor for Firefighter Test
    Chief Leader - February 12, 2013

by RICHARD STEIER

A Federal appeals court’s decision to halt oversight by a court-appointed monitor of Firefighter hiring by the FDNY raised the possibility that the court will ultimately overturn parts of U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis’s finding that three previous tests for the job discriminated against black and Latino candidates.

The ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has no immediate impact on hiring based on the exam for the job given last year, which was approved by Judge Garaufis after minority candidates passed it in close proportion to their application rates. If it affects any of the three exams covered by his discrimination finding, the most-likely candidate would be the 2007 test.

Tied to Results, Not Flaws

Unlike the exams given in 1999 and 2002, Judge Garaufis did not find specific faults with the testing material pertaining to either a cultural bias or its demanding of a higher education level than was required to perform the job. Rather, he found the 2007 test to be biased based on the concept of disparate impact. Although the percentage of minority candidates who passed that test closely paralleled the percentage who took it, the Vulcan Society of black firefighters had objected that too many of the black candidates who scored well enough to expect to be appointed were clumped toward the bottom of the likely hiring contingent. There was also a smaller percentage of them expected to be hired than that for Latino candidates.

City officials had appealed Judge Garaufis’s sweeping ruling—which added the 2007 test even though it was not part of the original discrimination complaint brought before him by the U.S. Justice Department earlier that year, after the Judge asserted that the FDNY had engaged in decades of illegal discrimination against minority firefighters. He was particularly harsh in his comments about the Bloomberg administration’s alleged failure to address the situation. The administration was further angered when Judge Garaufis refused to grant its request that the hiring monitor he appointed, Marc Cohen, itemize the bills he had submitted for $1.7 million in legal fees over the past year. Less than a month before the appeals-court ruling, city Corporation Counsel Michael A. Cardozo had renewed his request to Judge Garaufis to seek accountability from Mr. Cohen for the charges he had submitted.

Ordered Hiring Preference

To remedy past discrimination, Judge Garaufis had ordered that the city give hiring preference to up to 293 minority candidates who passed last year’s exam after competing on one or more of the previous tests. He also ordered damages of up to $128 million be paid to candidates who took the previous exams but did not score well enough to be appointed as Firefighters.

A top Law Department attorney, Georgia Pestana, was relatively restrained in reacting to the Court of Appeals ruling barring Mr. Cohen from exercising further authority until it issues a final decision on the city’s overall appeal of Judge Garaufis’s decision and order, saying, “We are gratified that the court granted our stay. This will enable [Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano] to exercise hiring discretion without the court monitor’s involvement.”

The first group of 320 new Firefighters appointed last month based on the 2012 exam were all employees of the Emergency Medical Service who because they are FDNY employees were able to take it as a promotion test.

An attorney for the Vulcans, Richard Levy, reflected the impact the temporary stay may portend when he told Newsday, “I felt a lot better a few minutes ago, before I read the Second Circuit order. It’s a disappointing decision.”

Fire Capt. Paul Washington, a former Vulcan Society president who has been active in the court battle, in a phone interview agreed the ruling wasn’t a good omen. “But the main thing we wanted from the legal action was a new test,” he said.

‘Hope It’s a Harbinger’

That ruling was hailed by Paul Mannix, a Deputy Fire Chief who as head of the anti-affirmative-action group Merit Matters has been a vocal critic of Judge Garaufis’s rulings.

“Needless to say, we’re happy,” he said in a Feb. 8 phone interview. “We’re hoping it’s a harbinger of things to come, and that it happens soon.”

The appeals court gave no indication as to how soon it will issue a final ruling on the city’s appeal.

Thread Information