Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 364 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 264314354361362363364365366367374414464864 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,280 of 20346
Like Tree7726Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Lol so it's still ambiguous about the PHs...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

So the stay is STILL only on the court appointed hiring monitors correct?

"This will enable [Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano] to exercise hiring discretion without the court monitor’s involvement.”

This could mean something very good.
    Last edited by mocon337; 02-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

As long as all of this bullsh*t only affects the PH's then im fine.

If this bullsh*t starts to affect everyones elses chance of getting on, as in some sort of postponement\hiring delay, then im gonna have a serious problem.

Some of us just want to be firefighters and that is all. Some of us took the exam without expecting any BS along the way. Some of us fear a repeat of 6019 or at least something similar. Some of us cant wait til this nonsense is all over.

And some of us dont care what happens to everyone else, as long as the PH's dont get hired.
    FDsouthbxNY and SnatchBK like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Nothing wrong with wishing the defeat of the PH's ruling while at the same time hoping that a new ruling will not affect YOUR future.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    As long as all of this bullsh*t only affects the PH's then im fine.

If this bullsh*t starts to affect everyones elses chance of getting on, as in some sort of postponement\hiring delay, then im gonna have a serious problem.

Some of us just want to be firefighters and that is all. Some of us took the exam without expecting any BS along the way. Some of us fear a repeat of 6019 or at least something similar. Some of us cant wait til this nonsense is all over.

And some of us dont care what happens to everyone else, as long as the PH's dont get hired.
    As someone who's been waiting for almost a decade I feel your pain with not wanting any wrenches thrown into the process. But, It WILL affect up to 293 guy's/ girl's chances of getting on 3-4 years from now who got bumped off hiring range for no reason if the PHs go through. I honestly wouldn't worry about this exam being held up or derailed no matter what happens. Both sides have conceded that Exam 2000 is here to stay no matter what happens with the appeal.

Side question for you and I don't mean to be contentious but, honestly, how will you feel going through the academy for over 4 months knowing that half the class doesn't deserve to be there and will be making twice your salary when you all graduate. Not the best way to foster brotherhood.

And I know we'll all just be ecstatic to be there trust me. But this is about fairness, the future of the dept, and giving the courts a chance to put this right.
    List # 12XX

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    As someone who's been waiting for almost a decade I feel your pain with not wanting any wrenches thrown into the process. But, It WILL affect up to 293 guy's/ girl's chances of getting on 3-4 years from now who got bumped off hiring range for no reason if the PHs go through. I honestly wouldn't worry about this exam being held up or derailed no matter what happens. Both sides have conceded that Exam 2000 is here to stay no matter what happens with the appeal.

Side question for you and I don't mean to be contentious but, honestly, how will you feel going through the academy for over 4 months knowing that half the class doesn't deserve to be there and will be making twice your salary when you all graduate. Not the best way to foster brotherhood.

And I know we'll all just be ecstatic to be there trust me. But this is about fairness, the future of the dept, and giving the courts a chance to put this right.
    No no dont misnderstand. I DO NOT agree with the PH's ruling at all whatsoever and i am wholly against anyone getting a free handout into the department at the expense of others and my hope is that the ruling will be overturned. My only concern is that an overturning or Garaffus ruling will not affect any other person on the OC list. Thats all. Pretty cut and dry.

As to how i would feel in the academy with others who do not deserve to be there?? With all other issues aside..Lets just say that i would feel much better being in the academy than i would feel being at home. If my moral compass was REALLY that great, then i would not even have taken the test.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

I said that if my moral compass was REALLY that great, that i would not have even taken the exam.

My reason for saying that is becuz when i attended a tuturial session which was given by the Vulcans, they actually barred the white applicants frim attending. They made the whites literally stand outside and wait until all minorities had taken a seat.

Although im african american, this deeply disturbed me and i actually thought about not even taking the test, just to avoid having a hand in discriminaton. However, I WANT TO BE A FIREFIGHTER. And that trumps all other issues for me. So i took the test and passed. Now i want to get on the job.
    vekdoggs75, ffdude13 and Mtk123 like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

I'm gonna say it again because im just looking at this whole thing logically.

It seems like everyone is looking for a direct quote that states there is a hold on PH hiring.

Like I said in previous post the monitor was put into place to over see all hiring. That includes the PH hires. I cannot see the city hiring one(1) PH unless they are being forced to.
    My guess is the city had projected a stay on the second court ruling and that with the 730 OC and the rest of the promo guys there will be more than enough for a second class.

ANYONE WITH A BETTER GUESS OR WHO AGREES CHIME IN

Also to what Spiderneck said above. I cant see the city holding up the exam for any reason. The amount of money being lost every month to give the guys already on overtime is huge.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Plus im 31 yrs old lol...and getting older as the days go by.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Plus im 31 yrs old lol...and getting older as the days go by.
    Haha, I'm right there with you in age man (we just have to train even harder than these whippersnappers) . And your moral compass is NOT off for going to the tutorials. Most of us tried to get in and some were luckier than others depending on location. I went to the Harlem sessions where we were all admitted, but Mr. Washington told us point blank we weren't welcome.

Good luck with the process, I'm sure you'll be at the Rock and showing the youngsters whats up soon enough.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I'm gonna say it again because im just looking at this whole thing logically.

It seems like everyone is looking for a direct quote that states there is a hold on PH hiring.

Like I said in previous post the monitor was put into place to over see all hiring. That includes the PH hires. I cannot see the city hiring one(1) PH unless they are being forced to.
    My guess is the city had projected a stay on the second court ruling and that with the 730 OC and the rest of the promo guys there will be more than enough for a second class.

ANYONE WITH A BETTER GUESS OR WHO AGREES CHIME IN

Also to what Spiderneck said above. I cant see the city holding up the exam for any reason. The amount of money being lost every month to give the guys already on overtime is huge.
    So do you think that when they say "Cassano's ability to hire at his own discretion w/o a court monitor" is a possible indication that even a stay only on the monitors would affect PH hiring, since the city won't technically be "forced" into doing so? I'm not playing devil's advocate or being facetious I'm actually asking your opinion haha.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Haha, I'm right there with you in age man (we just have to train even harder than these whippersnappers) . And your moral compass is NOT off for going to the tutorials. Most of us tried to get in and some were luckier than others depending on location. I went to the Harlem sessions where we were all admitted, but Mr. Washington told us point blank we weren't welcome.

Good luck with the process, I'm sure you'll be at the Rock and showing the youngsters whats up soon enough.
    Thanks. Good luck to you as well. Yea i did feel kinda screwed up for attending the tutorial sessions. I just cant see how reverse discrmination is the answer. I never agreed with affirmative action as well. I mean, when does it stop. Members of the same species divided over a few minor mutations (skin/hair color etc,)??? Thats just ridiculous to me as a man of science.

Time now is 1637. Im off to CPAT information session.
    River6019, mocon337 and ffdude13 like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Thanks. Good luck to you as well. Yea i did feel kinda screwed up for attending the tutorial sessions. I just cant see how reverse discrmination is the answer. I never agreed with affirmative action as well. I mean, when does it stop. Members of the same species divided over a few minor mutations (skin/hair color etc,)??? Thats just ridiculous to me as a man of science.

Time now is 1637. Im off to CPAT information session.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and a perspective of the bigger picture. Good luck with your process buddy (no sarcasm).
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    So do you think that when they say "Cassano's ability to hire at his own discretion w/o a court monitor" is a possible indication that even a stay only on the monitors would affect PH hiring, since the city won't technically be "forced" into doing so? I'm not playing devil's advocate or being facetious I'm actually asking your opinion haha.
    That is exactly what I am thinking
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys quick question. Going to cpat orientation Saturday afternoon. After the military I went to school so have never been in the business world and don't really know what business casual is and don't wanna underdress. If anyone could post example is it like golf clothes like khakis and a collard shirt ? Or like a suite with no tie

Forum Member

slacks or khakis, collared shirt, blazer

Forum Member

I said that if my moral compass was REALLY that great, that i would not have even taken the exam.

My reason for saying that is becuz when i attended a tuturial session which was given by the Vulcans, they actually barred the white applicants frim attending. They made the whites literally stand outside and wait until all minorities had taken a seat.

Although im african american, this deeply disturbed me and i actually thought about not even taking the test, just to avoid having a hand in discriminaton. However, I WANT TO BE A FIREFIGHTER. And that trumps all other issues for me. So i took the test and passed. Now i want to get on the job.

I was there for that fiasco in Queens, that was crazy. I laugh now thinking how they turned me away from a prep session because I was white, and PH's might bump me from the July class. It's not a "that's funny" laugh though. The blacks/hispanics who were there, and I spoke to a few, seemed a little uncomfortable watching it all take place too. I took that as at least something positive that happened that night.

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Hey guys quick question. Going to cpat orientation Saturday afternoon. After the military I went to school so have never been in the business world and don't really know what business casual is and don't wanna underdress. If anyone could post example is it like golf clothes like khakis and a collard shirt ? Or like a suite with no tie

I'm going to go button down shirt, and dress pants. Khakis and a button down should be more than enough. Maybe a polo shirt if it was warmer out, but I'm going to go long sleeved button down, no tie. My office is business casual now and that's my usual work attire.

Anyone know what this information session is going to cover? Sorry I'm gonna try to make it down from the Sub base in CT if I can. Im signed up for Sat at noon.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    Anyone know what this information session is going to cover? Sorry I'm gonna try to make it down from the Sub base in CT if I can. Im signed up for Sat at noon.

Just got back from mine. Very informative. They'll cover all there is to know about the CPAT training sessions as well as the CPAT itself. You get to ask loads of questions (regarding the cpat only), they show you a video of the CPAT and they introduce you to the various organizations within the department of which you can sign up for and be a part; Vulcans included..

They also discuss the mentorship program and answer any questions you may have regarding that as well. The whole thing is about 3 hours. The last thing youll do is sign up for whatever night you wish to attend the training session. You get to go home with a nice CPAT preparation booklet as well.

The only hard part was actually finding the Academy grounds itself. Only becuz the email which contained the directions tells you how to get to Randalls Island only. Once on the island, youre on your own until you see that first sign which says FDNY Academy, after you have already driven down the road for 1/4 mile and turned into the wrong parking lot.

Or that couldve just been me lol
    mocon337, grok350 and coldblood92 like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Just got back from mine. Very informative. They'll cover all there is to know about the CPAT training sessions as well as the CPAT itself. You get to ask loads of questions (regarding the cpat only), they show you a video of the CPAT and they introduce you to the various organizations within the department of which you can sign up for and be a part; Vulcans included..

They also discuss the mentorship program and answer any questions you may have regarding that as well. The whole thing is about 3 hours. The last thing youll do is sign up for whatever night you wish to attend the training session. You get to go home with a nice CPAT preparation booklet as well.

The only hard part was actually finding the Academy grounds itself. Only becuz the email which contained the directions tells you how to get to Randalls Island only. Once on the island, youre on your own until you see that first sign which says FDNY Academy, after you have already driven down the road for 1/4 mile and turned into the wrong parking lot.

Or that couldve just been me lol
    Do we have to bring anything with us?

Thread Information