Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think DCAS initially said they won't touch the OC list because in a perfect world they have more than enough candidates from the EMT and PH pool. Since they have priority on the list, when making the predictions for the next class they have to state it will be PH hires and EMT promos before anyone else. I'm having trouble finding a link but around the time the scores and lists were made public I could have sworn the department released a memo stating what they thought the hiring rations would be, I think it 2:1 for EMT, 3:1 for the OC list, and 4:1 for the PH's. If you go by those ratios and make PH's 3:1 for arguments sake, depending on how many EMT's are left to process, the most common numbers we have heard are between 150-200 candidates, it will still leave between 40-75 spots left to fill a class of 300. We have all heard the rumors of a lot of candidates failing the medicals so it's possible they will have even more open spots. Just going off the numbers they have thrown at us and past hiring ratios it looks like they could through anywhere 75-300 list numbers off the OC list. Just for the record, this is just pure speculation on my part and playing around with the rumored numbers we have heard.
    Can u explain the ratio thing please. What does 2:1, 3:1, etc mean?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I think something we're all forgetting is that since the PH's go in at the same time as the OC list (not before) at a 2 PH for every 3 OC rate they were always going to have to use the OC list. Just hoping they all get used up before the winter class.

GUYS!!!! This is almost correct and you're all ignoring this fact. For every 5 hired, 3 will be from the quota hires list and 2 will be from the open competitive list. They are using the OC list no matter what. If they exhaust the EMS list and still require, let's say an additional 150, they would hire 90 from the judges list and 60 from the OC. This means that the class that follows in Jan. of 2014, could include more hired from both hiring lists until the judges list is exhausted. At that time hiring will continue straight from the OC list.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

What is the judges list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    GUYS!!!! This is almost correct and you're all ignoring this fact. For every 5 hired, 3 will be from the quota hires list and 2 will be from the open competitive list. They are using the OC list no matter what. If they exhaust the EMS list and still require, let's say an additional 150, they would hire 90 from the judges list and 60 from the OC. This means that the class that follows in Jan. of 2014, could include more hired from both hiring lists until the judges list is exhausted. At that time hiring will continue straight from the OC list.
    Haha, oh yeah I forgot 3 not 2 out of every 5 must be PH. I wonder what the chances are they'll have a bunch of PH's who failed the medical recycled into the winter class.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Yeah that is exactly what I heard the hiring process will be. 2 AA ph's, 1 hispanic ph, and then 2 off the OC list.

Forum Member

I received my pysch letter yesterday in the mail.
    My # is in the 100's.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

Forum Member

This is like the most complicated word problem ever.
    River6019 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This is like the most complicated word problem ever.
    Ha, with no right answer.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Been trying to thank people
    On here for some of their replys, my phone won't cooperate. So: thanks.

New question. Does anybody know what the blood pressure thresholds are? Do they do it by age? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    Been trying to thank people
    On here for some of their replys, my phone won't cooperate. So: thanks.

New question. Does anybody know what the blood pressure thresholds are? Do they do it by age? Thanks in advance.
    I believe you cannot at any point exceed (220-Age) X .9
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I believe you cannot at any point exceed (220-Age) X .9
    Isn't that heart rate ?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, but I'm talking blood pressure (120/80 kind of a number) not the heart rate monitor/stairmill test.
    MM, any idea?
    Thanks again.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, but I'm talking blood pressure (120/80 kind of a number) not the heart rate monitor/stairmill test.
    MM, any idea?
    Thanks again.
    Oh, gotcha sorry for the confusion. I'd actually like to know that myself.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

No problem man. Yeah, figured with all this talk about hard failures at medical, probably best to know all we can...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Blood pressure worries me a bit too. It always shoots up in medical settings, yet is fine taken elsewhere. Sucks big time...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Interesting as this is always a concern for me too. I think the last medical I did at MT I was originally high and then settled down in front of the doctor. My old geezer doc told me a couple years back that you should use larger BP wraps if your arms are on the bigger side (not tooting my own horn in all seriousness) so the reading is more accurate.

Forum Member

I got my medical test papers in the mail today.

Forum Member

What about cholesterol?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I got my medical test papers in the mail today.
    nice. when are you going in?

Forum Member

They do blood work, if you have high cholesterol, they will find it. If they feel its a problem, they will decide whether to continue, or ask for a note from your doctor, they most likely do the latter unless its major. If they ask you for doctors note, get it to them ASAP, because they will put you on medical hold till you get what they want. Fax the note, and call them to see if they got it!
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Interesting as this is always a concern for me too. I think the last medical I did at MT I was originally high and then settled down in front of the doctor. My old geezer doc told me a couple years back that you should use larger BP wraps if your arms are on the bigger side (not tooting my own horn in all seriousness) so the reading is more accurate.
    Pretty sure the size of the cuff relative to your arm is BS.

As for if there are hard cut offs? No, I don't think so, but remember, the point of the medical is for a doctor to assess your current health and physical state and decide if they think it's a good idea to be a firefighter. If you're hypertensive they may want to look into it. I doubt it's an automatic failure, more of a shades of gray thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Pretty sure the size of the cuff relative to your arm is BS.

As for if there are hard cut offs? No, I don't think so, but remember, the point of the medical is for a doctor to assess your current health and physical state and decide if they think it's a good idea to be a firefighter. If you're hypertensive they may want to look into it. I doubt it's an automatic failure, more of a shades of gray thing.
    thanks. I ask because nypd had a cut off and I needed to be retested, and was fine. I'm not out of shape, but I've noticed with age it's been creeping up.

The heart rate test I already predict I will need to retake. I warm up 3x a week on a stairmill with the vest to check my hr. sometimes I'm 10 beats under. Other days I'm 1-3 beats over, and only for a few seconds! As long as I can come back and take it again, and stay on longer, I'll be fine. I've gotten to the point that I just zone out and go.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks. I ask because nypd had a cut off and I needed to be retested, and was fine. I'm not out of shape, but I've noticed with age it's been creeping up.

The heart rate test I already predict I will need to retake. I warm up 3x a week on a stairmill with the vest to check my hr. sometimes I'm 10 beats under. Other days I'm 1-3 beats over, and only for a few seconds! As long as I can come back and take it again, and stay on longer, I'll be fine. I've gotten to the point that I just zone out and go.
    It gets harder to manage the older you get. I don't recall them being all that super strict (there's a limit of course) but maybe pay a visit to your doctor to talk about it. Might be something as simple as a minor change in your diet.

I overcame being a few beats over by determining what my heart rate should be and running 5 miles 3 times a week at whatever pace kept me at or close to that number. You can get a heart rate watch that will alarm if you're above or below whatever number you set it for. Worked like a charm but once I got through medicals I had some catch up to do to make sure I was ready for the academy because the pace I had been running was too slow. That only took a few weeks to get back up to an 8 minute mile for 3 miles, which in my opinion is what you will need to be able to do to get through the academy.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    It gets harder to manage the older you get. I don't recall them being all that super strict (there's a limit of course) but maybe pay a visit to your doctor to talk about it. Might be something as simple as a minor change in your diet.

I overcame being a few beats over by determining what my heart rate should be and running 5 miles 3 times a week at whatever pace kept me at or close to that number. You can get a heart rate watch that will alarm if you're above or below whatever number you set it for. Worked like a charm but once I got through medicals I had some catch up to do to make sure I was ready for the academy because the pace I had been running was too slow. That only took a few weeks to get back up to an 8 minute mile for 3 miles, which in my opinion is what you will need to be able to do to get through the academy.
    Thank you.
    I have a heart rate monitor that does that, and a 4 miler scheduled for
    Saturday, I'll check it out. Being so close (potentially) to a medical date, I think I'll try out the 3x5 for the next few weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you.
    I have a heart rate monitor that does that, and a 4 miler scheduled for
    Saturday, I'll check it out. Being so close (potentially) to a medical date, I think I'll try out the 3x5 for the next few weeks.
    Good luck. You may feel like you're running too slow and be tempted to speed up but don't. I don't know the science of the whole thing, but I know it worked for me.

Thread Information