Like Tree9540Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Good luck. You may feel like you're running too slow and be tempted to speed up but don't. I don't know the science of the whole thing, but I know it worked for me.
    Thanks. I'm hoping first time up
    That I pull it off. Once I get my medical letter I'm off coffee and salt until the day of! I've been eating cleaner and leaner since January, but could stand more tightening.
    Am I correct in assuming that the deal Is still if you fail the hr test, they have you come back and take it 30 days later, and if you fail it again, they leave you on for 3 more minutes to see how you handle that. If you look ok, you pass?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    That I pull it off. Once I get my medical letter I'm off coffee and salt until the day of! I've been eating cleaner and leaner since January, but could stand more tightening.
    Am I correct in assuming that the deal Is still if you fail the hr test, they have you come back and take it 30 days later, and if you fail it again, they leave you on for 3 more minutes to see how you handle that. If you look ok, you pass?
    They have you take the medical, and if you fail the HR, they have you come back and do it for 8 minutes. From what I heard, they monitor your fatigue. I don't know what happens if you fail that......

Forum Member

In regards to the investigator, on my initial intake, I was told to come back in a month or so , with the rest of the papers that I needed, I already have everything. Should I shoot my investigator an email and let them know and see if I can stop by and drop them off? Or Should I just wait for the date?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know what happens to you after your second chance on the stairmill. Don't find out...do plenty of cardio and you should be OK. I know I followed what the guys at Metrotech recommended and i passed with flying colors. A lot of guys assume this job is all strength; it is to a point. But after a few minutes at a good job that 10 lbs hook will feel like a 100... you need endurance and they'll give that to you at the Rock; you just have to let go of the 3 sets of 10 reps thing that you've probably heard of. That nutcase at the Rock is going to take a 10 lbs weight you'd laugh at at the gym and torture your life with it. But the first good job you go to you'll see the method to their madness.

Forum Member

I don't know what happens to you after your second chance on the stairmill. Don't find out...do plenty of cardio and you should be OK. I know I followed what the guys at Metrotech recommended and i passed with flying colors. A lot of guys assume this job is all strength; it is to a point. But after a few minutes at a good job that 10 lbs hook will feel like a 100... you need endurance and they'll give that to you at the Rock; you just have to let go of the 3 sets of 10 reps thing that you've probably heard of. That nutcase at the Rock is going to take a 10 lbs weight you'd laugh at at the gym and torture your life with it. But the first good job you go to you'll see the method to their madness.
    My mistake, I wasn't very clear in what I was asking. I was basically asking if you get two shots at the stairs, and on that second chance, if your hr goes over 90%, do they leave you on for 3 more minutes and monitor your appearance. And I think that's what the deal is. I hope so. I am able to
    Have a semi comfortable conversation at that speed with that weight. It's just my hr sometimes pops over.

Come on mail lady!!!! Bring some good news today!!!

Forum Member

Also meant to ask about some of the really good tips you have here. I bought two ten pound weights. On the days life catches me off guard and I can't make it to the gym, I work
    With those and run. Any suggestions for specific things to do with the weights? I'm doing stuff like curls, presses, skull crushers, squats with te weight in front. 30-50 reps. 1-3 sets. Anything I should add to that?

Forum Member

Good morning! Is anyone aware of FDNY policy with tuition reimbursement? If so, are they selective with what field they are will to reimburse for?

Forum Member

Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Good morning! Is anyone aware of FDNY policy with tuition reimbursement? If so, are they selective with what field they are will to reimburse for?

This response is for everyone:

Get on the job, get good at the job, get into the job and THEN worry about what you can do on the side. This job is bread and butter, your "A" job. Listen man, asking questions like this before you are even on, let alone through the academy and in a firehouse is the wrong attitude. No one on this forum knows enough to even be thinking about anything other than how best to prepre for the academy and then how best to make a first impression if you get to a firehouse.

You can go back to school in a couple of years, besides, the FDNY does not reimburse graduate education.
    FFwnt2b likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    This response is for everyone:

Get on the job, get good at the job, get into the job and THEN worry about what you can do on the side. This job is bread and butter, your "A" job. Listen man, asking questions like this before you are even on, let alone through the academy and in a firehouse is the wrong attitude. No one on this forum knows enough to even be thinking about anything other than how best to prepre for the academy and then how best to make a first impression if you get to a firehouse.

You can go back to school in a couple of years, besides, the FDNY does not reimburse graduate education.
    He's a PH bro, he's had the wrong attitude from the start.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also meant to ask about some of the really good tips you have here. I bought two ten pound weights. On the days life catches me off guard and I can't make it to the gym, I work
    With those and run. Any suggestions for specific things to do with the weights? I'm doing stuff like curls, presses, skull crushers, squats with te weight in front. 30-50 reps. 1-3 sets. Anything I should add to that?
    That's all good stuff and exactly what you'll see at the Rock. You'll do those exercises in a certain order at a certain cadence that the PT instructor will regulate. Stick with that and you'll be ready but add some good dead hang pull ups; you need four to pass the PT test but you want to be able to do as many as you can so you don't become a target. You have to start from a deadhang with your elbows locked out and finish that same way for them to count. They're gonna stand there and watch you do them, so none of that crossfit nonsense where you use your legs and body weight to flip yourself above the bar.
    vekdoggs75 and CableGuy516 like this.

Forum Member

That's all good stuff and exactly what you'll see at the Rock. You'll do those exercises in a certain order at a certain cadence that the PT instructor will regulate. Stick with that and you'll be ready but add some good dead hang pull ups; you need four to pass the PT test but you want to be able to do as many as you can so you don't become a target. You have to start from a deadhang with your elbows locked out and finish that same way for them to count. They're gonna stand there and watch you do them, so none of that crossfit nonsense where you use your legs and body weight to flip yourself above the bar.
    Good advice. Thanks. I have been doing the 10lbers twice a week, and the other three I'm in the gym doing some combination of pullups/dips, calisthenics, weights, endurance, strength, running, stairmill work etc.
    Really hoping for this July academy, like so many others on here. Can't imagine doing anything else at this point.

On that note, anyone else get your medical letter recently? It's a no for me today.

Forum Member

No psych or med dates for me but I did get an email about meeting my mentor. I guess that's a good sign if this is really a 40 week program that's supposed to take you through probie school?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    No psych or med dates for me but I did get an email about meeting my mentor. I guess that's a good sign if this is really a 40 week program that's supposed to take you through probie school?

Whats your list # range?
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Convict65USMC View Post
    Whats your list # range?

not sure why my signature didnt show up but same as you, 3XX

Forum Member

not sure why my signature didnt show up but same as you, 3XX
    Thanks, I'm having trouble with posts as well.
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Got my email about my mentor ship program as well. No medical or psych in the mail yet tho

FDNY exam 2000
    score: 103
    list # 4xx

Forum Member

Mentor notice also, 4/10 10am-12

Forum Member

My Mentor meeting is on 4/9, but I don't know if I can make it. I called recruitment to reschedule, and they told me to call my investigator, but I knew they didn't know what they were talking about, but I called anyways. He told me to call recruitment, which it was too late. Hopefully I can reschedule, I was looking forward to meeting him or her.
    BTW, for those with IPhone's, there is a app called instant heart rate, and it's free. Very accurate, it's great for those that can't afford a actual heart monitor. I'm getting a polar watch, but came across this which will work till I get a actual monitor for running and working out.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Forum Member

Good advice. Thanks. I have been doing the 10lbers twice a week, and the other three I'm in the gym doing some combination of pullups/dips, calisthenics, weights, endurance, strength, running, stairmill work etc.
    Really hoping for this July academy, like so many others on here. Can't imagine doing anything else at this point.

On that note, anyone else get your medical letter recently? It's a no for me today.
    Add shoulder presses and overhead tricep extensions to the list and you should be in good shape. Those are my weak spot and I still suck at them. Also with all of these exercises remember to do them slow and deliberate, same with pushups. Take at least a second to go up, hold a second, and then a second to go down (or vice versa).
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Add shoulder presses and overhead tricep extensions to the list and you should be in good shape. Those are my weak spot and I still suck at them. Also with all of these exercises remember to do them slow and deliberate, same with pushups. Take at least a second to go up, hold a second, and then a second to go down (or vice versa).
    Thanks. You've been a valuable source of info for us on here. I hope we have another asset like you for the next class.

Forum Member

Thanks. You've been a valuable source of info for us on here. I hope we have another asset like you for the next class.
    Manhattan Medic has been great, and soon he will be out on the street riding in a big red truck. We are fortunate to have him here......

Forum Member

I'm wary of saying this, but I figure it will serve all of you well (especially you almostthere, what the **** you asking about tuition for). So we're going into the field soon, in 2 groups, for 5 day tours. The list of who's going where is out and apparently in the field. Instructors have been getting texts/calls from friends in the field trying to find out what the word is on the probie that they're getting for a week. The instructors were nice enough to tell us that.

Your reputation starts now, and I mean right now. At CPAT training, at whatever the **** you do with your mentors, on the business suit/orientation day. Bring your A game every day and every time. Good attitude and deportment definitely contributed to at least one guy staying here with a failing average while others were given the axe. And on the other hand, guys with attitude/deportment issues have definitely had a harder time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Mentor notice also, 4/10 10am-12
    What is with this "mentorship" crap? You guys are all grown men; you shouldn't need anyone holding your hands and guiding you through anything at this point. Is this something the job is making you do as part of the intake process? I used to roll my eyes at the old timers talking about how this job is going to sh*t; between lawsuits, priority hires, sensitivity training and now a mentorship program to coddle people through the Rock I'm starting to think they were right after all.

If mentorship is something you're being required to do then obviously you have to do it. But I promise you NOBODY is going to baby you once you get to a house. You'll have to figure things out, and figure them out quick. And there won't be an environment of positive reinforcement fostered in a culture of mutual understanding and diversity when you screw up; we're flat out going to tell you you fuc*ked up and had better fix it quick. Not taking shots at anyone, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. "Mentorship program"...unfuc*ingbelievable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I'm wary of saying this, but I figure it will serve all of you well (especially you almostthere, what the **** you asking about tuition for). So we're going into the field soon, in 2 groups, for 5 day tours. The list of who's going where is out and apparently in the field. Instructors have been getting texts/calls from friends in the field trying to find out what the word is on the probie that they're getting for a week. The instructors were nice enough to tell us that.

Your reputation starts now, and I mean right now. At CPAT training, at whatever the **** you do with your mentors, on the business suit/orientation day. Bring your A game every day and every time. Good attitude and deportment definitely contributed to at least one guy staying here with a failing average while others were given the axe. And on the other hand, guys with attitude/deportment issues have definitely had a harder time.
    Don't bother with that clown; he's taking this job for his own reasons, and they're the wrong ones.

Better believe the phone lines are roaring right now. If you do the right thing, you will be fine. Go there and act like a jerk, everyone at the Rock will know it and everyone at the house you get assigned to will find out about it, too. Just do like you know you're supposed to, and you'll have a great time and learn a lot about what will be expected of you when you get to your house in May.

Thread Information