Like Tree11258Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

It's not required, but if you don't do it, you have 50 people calling you on why you didn't take it. Its something that's pushed and if its given, it's encouraged to take full advantage.

Forum Member

Ok it was pretty much forced upon people who went to the cpat orientation. It was said from someone otj here if the city is offering something take it. Mentoring can be in any form, you giving us tips on how to keep hr down and which exercises to do with how much weight is a form of mentoring. I'm not ashamed in any way of taking advice given to me
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Ok it was pretty much forced upon people who went to the cpat orientation. It was said from someone otj here if the city is offering something take it. Mentoring can be in any form, you giving us tips on how to keep hr down and which exercises to do with how much weight is a form of mentoring. I'm not ashamed in any way of taking advice given to me
    True, plus there are LT's and experienced FF's that are willing to let us pick their brains. It's not a bad thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    What is with this "mentorship" crap? You guys are all grown men; you shouldn't need anyone holding your hands and guiding you through anything at this point. Is this something the job is making you do as part of the intake process? I used to roll my eyes at the old timers talking about how this job is going to sh*t; between lawsuits, priority hires, sensitivity training and now a mentorship program to coddle people through the Rock I'm starting to think they were right after all.

If mentorship is something you're being required to do then obviously you have to do it. But I promise you NOBODY is going to baby you once you get to a house. You'll have to figure things out, and figure them out quick. And there won't be an environment of positive reinforcement fostered in a culture of mutual understanding and diversity when you screw up; we're flat out going to tell you you fuc*ked up and had better fix it quick. Not taking shots at anyone, but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. "Mentorship program"...unfuc*ingbelievable.
    For those candidates that would be lost along the way due to their own incompetence/laziness. For the guys that care I still think it's a good idea to at least go through the motions with it, but for god's sake you shouldn't actually need that ****. My take on it is that it's all part of the department's push to make the entire process bullet proof to future legal actions. Can't be accused of **** when they've gone out of their way to try and keep in touch with a candidate and help them get through the process. I don't agree with it, but I can only hope that the ballbags that make it all the way to day 1 without really giving a **** or trying are properly sorted out by the drill instructors.

Forum Member

I guess it can be a way also to get a feel of the candidate also. I'm sure if you go to the meeting with a crappy attitude, I'm sure they will let people know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    You getting seeking and receiving advice from those of us on the job is far different from having someone assigned to you to walk you through this process like some sort of social worker. By coming on here and asking questions you demonstrate a desire to learn and the self motivation to take action on your own. Sitting back and allowing someone to do your homework for you makes no sense to a lot of us and makes us wonder how you'll act when presented with a situation that requires problem solving. EVERYBODY had questions and concerns about getting this job, myself included. Making the move to find your own answers, like you guys have been doing here, is the right way to do things. The old timers got through it on their own and made this the greatest department in the world; seems to me there's no reason to change things.

This is an opinion on my part; I'm not trying to say guys who deal with mentors will be ball bags. I'm just not sure where the job itself is going when it not only doesn't demand that its members be fully self sufficient, but actually assigns case workers to make sure guys are chaperoned and spoon fed answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    True, plus there are LT's and experienced FF's that are willing to let us pick their brains. It's not a bad thing.
    I'm not saying talking to experienced guys is a bad thing; I'm saying the job itself spoon feeding people and walking them through the process without demanding some form of personal accountability is a bad thing.

Is this simply a fireman setting down with you to talk about the job or do they contact you to remind you about getting to things like medicals and CPAT sessions?

Forum Member

I'm not saying talking to experienced guys is a bad thing; I'm saying the job itself spoon feeding people and walking them through the process without demanding some form of personal accountability is a bad thing.

Is this simply a fireman setting down with you to talk about the job or do they contact you to remind you about getting to things like medicals and CPAT sessions?
    I have no idea, it's not just firemen, there are LT's also that are mentoring. I hear you teufelhunden36, live and learn, that's the way my dad taught me, but like someone said it was pretty much forced on us. If the LT at CPAT training tells us to do it, we are doing it. I really don't know what to ask him or her right now, I've been going through the process, and if I have a question, I'll ask it here. And I can guarantee that if I get to the academy, anything he says is not gonna make things easier for me. It's all up to me at that point......

MembersZone Subscriber

I have no idea, it's not just firemen, there are LT's also that are mentoring. I hear you teufelhunden36, live and learn, that's the way my dad taught me, but like someone said it was pretty much forced on us. If the LT at CPAT training tells us to do it, we are doing it. I really don't know what to ask him or her right now, I've been going through the process, and if I have a question, I'll ask it here. And I can guarantee that if I get to the academy, anything he says is not gonna make things easier for me. It's all up to me at that point......
    I came on too strong about this in my earlier posts. I don't know very much about it but from what I understand it's part of the current initiative to make sure certain people are put onto the job. I should have asked what it was about before commenting.

My concern is the job setting up a program that spoonfeeds info or prods guys into doing things that as grown men they should just do on their own. The program to call people and remind them to show up for tests and such is an example. We don't want guys on this job who can't be relied on to do things they're supposed to do without a reminder.

If this is just firemen that you can talk to about the job and how to get on and be good at it, I'm all for it. But if it's something that takes all the stops out for you and will allow just anyone to get through the process without separating the slackers from the go getters, it's a bad thing that will lead to problems in the future.

Forum Member

I came on too strong about this in my earlier posts. I don't know very much about it but from what I understand it's part of the current initiative to make sure certain people are put onto the job. I should have asked what it was about before commenting.

My concern is the job setting up a program that spoonfeeds info or prods guys into doing things that as grown men they should just do on their own. The program to call people and remind them to show up for tests and such is an example. We don't want guys on this job who can't be relied on to do things they're supposed to do without a reminder.

If this is just firemen that you can talk to about the job and how to get on and be good at it, I'm all for it. But if it's something that takes all the stops out for you and will allow just anyone to get through the process without separating the slackers from the go getters, it's a bad thing that will lead to problems in the future.
    The way it was described to us by a LT at the first CPAT orientation was that essentially this is a person to answer questions for you and to guide you in the right direction. He didn't say anything about holding someone's hand through the process. I initially wasn't going to sign up for it but it was highly recommended that we sign up for the mentorship program. I got my date to meet my "mentor" for next Wed. and I'm pretty pumped for it because it is just one step closer in the direction I want to be going. In the next two weeks I meet the mentor, have my psych and my medical tests.

Forum Member

They way I look at it, in regards to the mentor program, is I'm helping them too. These guys could've been told they can't be OTJ as a firefighter due to health issues or injuries, or maybe they are just looking for some easy OT.

Do I think you should need it to get through, absolutely not. But in the end if I can gain knowledge and in someway help a brother, I'm game.

Plus like was said before, if the city offers something generally you want to take it. They don't offer much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    They way I look at it, in regards to the mentor program, is I'm helping them too. These guys could've been told they can't be OTJ as a firefighter due to health issues or injuries, or maybe they are just looking for some easy OT.

Do I think you should need it to get through, absolutely not. But in the end if I can gain knowledge and in someway help a brother, I'm game.

Plus like was said before, if the city offers something generally you want to take it. They don't offer much.
    You think the city is doing this as a favor to you? Mike Bloomberg isn't paying OT to firemen because he wants to. This is them covering their a** in case someone who doesn't make it through claims they didn't know something. You guys do as you please with this, but in my (and a lot of guys) opinion, you shouldn't need to have anyone hovering over you to make sure you get through the process; you should just be able to make do on your own. How much "knowledge" are you required to have to show up on time where you're told to be and do what you're told to do, which is the sum total of what will be required of you for the next few years? I fail to see how grown men who want to be firemen need a life coach.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 04-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    ffbam24 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    to guide you in the right direction.
    That right there is what worries a lot of us. For right now, all you really have to do is stay in shape and report when and where you're told to. Simple stuff. The fact that the job feels it needs a program to make sure guys do that tells us that the guys coming on are being coddled along when they should be figuring this extraordinarily simple sh*t out for themselves. Again, do what you want, but this is leaving a bad taste in a lot of mouths, so I'd keep it to myself if I were you.

Forum Member

What if you have everything squared away and just want to talk to your "mentor" about firefighting, life, and war stories? Just saying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    What if you have everything squared away and just want to talk to your "mentor" about firefighting, life, and war stories? Just saying.
    The city is paying a guy OT to be your friend, then? I doubt that. I asked this before, but nobody answered; is this mentor calling you to remind you to show up for appointments and such?

Forum Member

The city is paying a guy OT to be your friend, then? I doubt that. I asked this before, but nobody answered; is this mentor calling you to remind you to show up for appointments and such?
    I don't think so, the program hasn't started yet. We haven't met anyone, the meetings start this week at the firemans museum in NYC.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think so, the program hasn't started yet. We haven't met anyone, the meetings start this week at the firemans museum in NYC.
    Again, I'm not bashing guys who sign up for this; if the job's pushing it you gotta do what you gotta do. But I think this whole thing is a step further down this whole EEO "everybody can do this job no weeding people out" thing that's been going on as of late.

Forum Member

Again, I'm not bashing guys who sign up for this; if the job's pushing it you gotta do what you gotta do. But I think this whole thing is a step further down this whole EEO "everybody can do this job no weeding people out" thing that's been going on as of late.
    Probably, but like you said, if the academy doesn't weed people out, ultimately the job will.

Forum Member

BTW, I saw this pic, and sent it to a relative, he said it reminded him of his probie days, he is in his 80's now......Awesome!
    FDNY Queens Picture
    http://imageshack.us/a/img12/2348/imagelft.jpg
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member

Yea he doesn't want to pay the OT but he is and this will only pay out more.

Again I don't need a hand to hold but if it puts more money in their pockets than fine.

Forum Member

I'm with you in principal, I think the mentor ship program amounts to hand holding, but it can be a helpful thing in preparing guys for firehouse life. There are no phone call reminders, it's just someone to call with questions. If the program allows us to make someone understand that the firehouse is a tough place and you need a thick skin, maybe the wrong people will choose to leave and the right ones will be in a better mindset and not cause trouble later because the misunderstand the firehouse culture.

If you're given the opportunity to get some free advice, take it.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I'm with you in principal, I think the mentor ship program amounts to hand holding, but it can be a helpful thing in preparing guys for firehouse life. There are no phone call reminders, it's just someone to call with questions. If the program allows us to make someone understand that the firehouse is a tough place and you need a thick skin, maybe the wrong people will choose to leave and the right ones will be in a better mindset and not cause trouble later because the misunderstand the firehouse culture.

If you're given the opportunity to get some free advice, take it.
    Like I said before, if it's just an outlet for info and advice I'm all for it. I still don't get the assigning of a fireman to the individual candidate or see the need for it. What I had heard about it was it was a human alarm clock to make sure people were out of bed and where they were supposed to be on time. I am inclined to think it's going to turn into just that but we'll see.

I agree with you in general, but I don't think these mentors have been given the latitude to tell candidates anything except how the firehouse is an all inclusive place of cultural sensitivity and understanding. Obviously the brass at recruitment won't know what's being said at the meetings, and I'm sure the guys doing the mentoring will do the right thing, but are they hanging their a**es on the line if things go wrong for the candidate and he/she claims it's because of something the mentor told them?

When I got on, I had dozens of questions and concerns. I came on here and asked and I went to my local house with a cake and talked with the brothers there and got the answers I was looking for. The job being inclined to assign someone to make sure you know everything without having to lift a finger or problem solve on your own seems a bit much to me and kind of flies in the face of what we're about. But, again, I don't think the guys participating will be bad guys because of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Yea he doesn't want to pay the OT but he is and this will only pay out more.

Again I don't need a hand to hold but if it puts more money in their pockets than fine.
    No, it's not fine. This job is not all about money. Trading off instilling a sense of purpose in guys who want to come on the job for OT isn't right. The city put this in place to make sure they get people they want on the job. Guys getting OT because of it is the only positive I see. Use it because it's available to you if you want, but don't think you're doing anybody any favors.

Forum Member

Hey guys!, congrats to all who have an opportunity. I didn't pass my second medical, I only did six minutes and 11 S. can anyone tell do I get another chance a the stairs? Thanks Guys..
    marc3071 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unity View Post
    Hey guys!, congrats to all who have an opportunity. I didn't pass my second medical, I only did six minutes and 11 S. can anyone tell do I get another chance a the stairs? Thanks Guys..
    6 min and 11 sec and what happened? I don't think you get another shot. How many chances do you want?!

Thread Information