Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 369 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 269319359366367368369370371372379419469869 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,380 of 20366
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Is this really the only way to work off of the Island? The handful of guys I know OTJ all live on SI, but work in Brooklyn. They all have 10+ years though so a lot has probably changed since they got on.
    Don't worry about it fella. Guys like to make jokes about "Staten Italy" or the "Forgotten Boro", but it's all jokes. There are a few slashing companies out there. Some houses do some really good fire duty. There are slower and busier places in every borough. BUT.....everyone goes to fires sometimes, at some point. The expectations of you are going to be the same, no matter what.

As someone stated before, you DO want to be running more, regardless of what for. The more running you do, the more buildings you get to see and the more scenarios you get to look at and discuss. Don't get caught up in neighborhoods or numbers at this point. Step 5....right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Sounds about right. Also check into retro fitness. I know of one on Richmond Ave in SI that has the step machines you need to train on and I believe they charge $10 monthly. I don't know about registration fees or start up costs. Any gym that has those machines will do, though. I pay $40 a month at NYSC now but I clearly remember getting the discount for 3 months while training for the physical.
    I also joined nysc a little after lost numbers went out. I pay $40 a month, it was worth it to me to always have access to a Stairmill. Im at the one across from la fitness in si(i dunno if there's more than one on the island). Hopefully the weather stays good(any temp just no more snow) because the treadmill doesn't compare to outside at all. I did 3.5miles the other day in the gym and ran outside a few days after and barely got under 13 for my 1.5. I swear its like a mind trick that damn treadmill lol, i try to only use it for hr training

Forum Member

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

A link to some homemade fitness equipment. Sandbags, sleds, and sledge/tire work have a positive carryover to being a firefighter. Sandbags-lift, carry(bear hug, across the arms, on the shoulders), walk, and climb. Sleds-drag forward, backwards, and pull hand over hand(like the cpat station). Sledge work-for power/rotational.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

edit post...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I don't have access to a gym but ill figure out a way to give the rows a shot. Thanks for the input lets see if it works.
    You can use webbing for suspension training. TRX suspension are expensive, check the link I added above. I would say doing inverted rows suspension supported is a little more harder because of more recruitment of the stabilizers/core needed to complete the row.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    40+ year old Obese PH's? People that are clueless of a stair mill?

Thats actually goods news! The odds that they will pass the academy, or even the CPAT/physical requirements is slim and it gives someone better qualified an opportunity. This job is for people who really want it! They should have done their research for what the job requires and been prepared for it. They obviously didn't do their research and don't want this job as bad as others. Getting the best job in the world is a competition and it's survival of the fittest! May the best qualified and deserving candidates get this job!
    I was about to say the same thing, that's great. So the people who actually care about the job, put the time in and want to be the best at what we do, will actually have a chance sooner than later. That's great news Lol hopefully the CPAT isn't THAT easy
    DannyD0pe likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    I was about to say the same thing, that's great. So the people who actually care about the job, put the time in and want to be the best at what we do, will actually have a chance sooner than later. That's great news Lol hopefully the CPAT isn't THAT easy
    The CPAT is RIDICULOUSLY, INSANELY, DISGUSTINGLY easy. It's specifically designed to be so women and in this case, "40+year old Obese PH's" can pass it. Understand that if you were to get a perfect score on the CPAT you won't even be in the same galaxy as what will be demanded of you at the Rock. That will be where the skid mark meets the underwear, so to speak.

Forum Member

The CPAT is only difficult if you are unprepared. If you are unprepared for the CPAT you are unprepared for the academy. Being prepared for the CPAT does not mean that you are where you need to be for the academy. Just train and stay focused.
    ffbam24 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The CPAT is only difficult if you are unprepared. If you are unprepared for the CPAT you are unprepared for the academy. Being prepared for the CPAT does not mean that you are where you need to be for the academy. Just train and stay focused.
    Well put. And it really is very simple. No need for crossfit, p90x, insanity or any other nonsense fad workouts out there. A pair of running shoes, a sturdy crossbar for pullups, a pair of hands for pushups (if you don't have those you're already sunk; don't bother) and a LOOOONNNNG flight of steps like you find at any high school stadium is all you need. Get a $20 backpack at walmart and fill it with sand and presto! a weight vest! No excuse to not be ready for the Rock. Your life will SUCK for 4 months no matter what you do; may as well make one thing easier.

Forum Member

Well put. And it really is very simple. No need for crossfit, p90x, insanity or any other nonsense fad workouts out there. A pair of running shoes, a sturdy crossbar for pullups, a pair of hands for pushups (if you don't have those you're already sunk; don't bother) and a LOOOONNNNG flight of steps like you find at any high school stadium is all you need. Get a $20 backpack at walmart and fill it with sand and presto! a weight vest! No excuse to not be ready for the Rock. Your life will SUCK for 4 months no matter what you do; may as well make one thing easier.
    I will say that I enjoyed Crossfit and benefited greatly from the structure that it provides. I may go back to it when the academy is over with, though that decision has more to do with finances than anything else. I would bet a lot of money (knowing myself) that had I not spent the $$ on Crossfit I would not have prepared enough to even get promoted, let alone make it in the academy. That said, I wish I had focused more on the basics while also going to Crossfit.

Now to fall asleep in the books, since 0340 comes mighty early.

Forum Member

One PH who continued to only ask about money and tell the fitness guys, I mean the CAPT talking about mentorship, about how he is wrong because he "ain't losing no money" by switching over from sanitation....hilarious

On that note....step step step step step step step step step
    grok350 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I wish I had focused more on the basics while also going to Crossfit.
    I do believe you've proven my point. I personally don't subscribe to anything but basic running, calisthenics and very heavy lifting. You will never be asked to clean and press a 135 lbs barbell at a job. You will have to have basic, brute strength and endurance. Fancy lifting like crossfit may be good for youtube videos, and maybe for the guy who's looking for people to play tic tac toe on his abs (one of the weirder requests I've seen on here), but it's a waste of time for what we do. But, to each his own. Put the book down for a bit and get some rest. Good luck to you. Remember, it ends, and it's all worth it, I promise you.
    HopefulFF and Dannypanigale like this.

Forum Member

That routine is perfect. When you get to proby school you'll see a lot of similarities between their PT and Marine Corps PT. All that I personally added was a day of heavy squats and deadlifts just to maintain strength.
    Funny you say that. I just switched from heavy lifting for 3 years (I've always had issues putting muscle on) to an actual circuit training program and I gotta say it's kicking my *** haha. Finally realized the mass isn't important. But when I went to squat yesterday I felt like I lost so much strength (like 50 lbs+ on my squat). You think one day per week for those two lifts is good just to keep your brute strength in check?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Funny you say that. I just switched from heavy lifting for 3 years (I've always had issues putting muscle on) to an actual circuit training program and I gotta say it's kicking my *** haha. Finally realized the mass isn't important. But when I went to squat yesterday I felt like I lost so much strength (like 50 lbs+ on my squat). You think one day per week for those two lifts is good just to keep your brute strength in check?
    Depending on your condition, you can squat 2-3 times a week(or one session of front squats), because of the low volume. Deadlifts, depends on where you at. I would say if you are deadlifting at/over 500 pounds, you only need to train it once a week or every 2 weeks, it is very hard on your CNS and to recover. It all depends on your condition. If you are deadlifting around 225-495, you do an extra session of "dynamic effort" deadlifts, where you pull as explosive as you can between 60-80% of 1RM or you can pull from a deficit(which I rec'ed in getting your deadlift up).

The squat, you are able to get your strength up very quickly, provided you intake some calories/rest. I would milk a simple 3 x 5 program on the squats and 1 x 5 on deadlifts( 1 working set, not including warmups). Add 5 pounds to the bar every session on the squat and 10 pounds every week on the deadlifts. When that gets too much eventually it will just be 5 pounds a week for squat/deadlift, then it will be adding microplates(1-2 pound plates). That simple progression will easily bring you up to a 405 deadlift/315 squat. If you are beyond 405/315, you might want to try out 5/3/1 program, which is a great program for intermediates.

Once a week is enough. I would not do any hard conditioning the day before a squat/dead session.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Yea I used to be a big fan of 5x5 but it just couldn't work well for me with the long runs I do. I started 5/3/1 but couldn't stick to it idk why. I'll probably go back to a 3x5 or 5x5 for DL and Sq. once a week with weighted pull ups etc. Just make that a heavy day. Lifting for endurance has been kicking my arse though which I suppose is good.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

MembersZone Subscriber

One day is good enough for me. I maintain a 400 lbs deadlift and a 315 lbs squat. I basically do 5x5; one set at 60%, one set at 80% then 3 sets at max weight. Pretty standard heavy lift program. You may not want to do this while you're at the Rock, and as a matter of fact I didn't because that kind of weight can f*** you up if your already tired and not able to concentrate. I really didn't notice the difference until I went to a few jobs before and after I added the heavy lifts. Makes a world of difference on the line and going up stairs under weight. The circuit program they'll give you should absolutely be the cornerstone of your program. Try it both ways see how it works for you.

Forum Member

One day is good enough for me. I maintain a 400 lbs deadlift and a 315 lbs squat. I basically do 5x5; one set at 60%, one set at 80% then 3 sets at max weight. Pretty standard heavy lift program. You may not want to do this while you're at the Rock, and as a matter of fact I didn't because that kind of weight can f*** you up if your already tired and not able to concentrate. I really didn't notice the difference until I went to a few jobs before and after I added the heavy lifts. Makes a world of difference on the line and going up stairs under weight. The circuit program they'll give you should absolutely be the cornerstone of your program. Try it both ways see how it works for you.
    Yea simply put I'm worried about sacrificing strength for endurance since I'm a swimmer/runner type as it is and am not a guy with natural brute strength. But from what I hear about training for the academy (if I get the opportunity to get there), this mix should be good. I just need to keep putting the work in and stop worrying about semantics.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z8N1Kr6BU

Personal role model of mine, Captain Patrick Brown. Humble, down-to-earth, lead by example, and always put his men before himself. He was an avid and enthusiastic practitioner of yoga. If it's good enough for the Captain, it is good enough for you. (Check out the book Miss You, Pat by Sharon Watts to learn more about this man)

I believe yoga has many benefits for firefighters.

-Mobility. When we get older, it becomes an even greater factor. Mobility is very important and underrated aspect of health/fitness. It provides a great balance for all the strength/conditioning work done.

-Mind. Emphasis on quieting the mind. Improve focus. Positive benefit for mental health(like what Captain Brown said in the video) and stress reduction.

-Health. Thousands of articles online and personal testimonials on yoga.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea simply put I'm worried about sacrificing strength for endurance since I'm a swimmer/runner type as it is and am not a guy with natural brute strength. But from what I hear about training for the academy (if I get the opportunity to get there), this mix should be good. I just need to keep putting the work in and stop worrying about semantics.
    21xx is a decent list number. You'll get there at some point. Keep training and hang in there. Give the heavy weights a try once a week see if it works for you. You'll have to eat a bit more to get through those workouts, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z8N1Kr6BU

Personal role model of mine, Captain Patrick Brown. Humble, down-to-earth, lead by example, and always put his men before himself. He was an avid and enthusiastic practitioner of yoga. If it's good enough for the Captain, it is good enough for you. (Check out the book Miss You, Pat by Sharon Watts to learn more about this man)

I believe yoga has many benefits for firefighters.

-Mobility. When we get older, it becomes an even greater factor. Mobility is very important and underrated aspect of health/fitness. It provides a great balance for all the strength/conditioning work done.

-Mind. Emphasis on quieting the mind. Improve focus. Positive benefit for mental health(like what Captain Brown said in the video) and stress reduction.

-Health. Thousands of articles online and personal testimonials on yoga.
    Capt Brown was as good as they come. Hell of a Marine and the model we should all be shooting for as firemen. Sure would like to have had him as a boss to pick his brains, and I work for some of the best bosses on the job today.

Thread Information