Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 27343536373839404787137537 ... LastLast
Like Tree7734Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Forum Member

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...bjUEX8Dj7YS2BQ

This is a study guide I found online, it has a lot of info. You guys and gals should have a look at it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Merit Matters posted something similar back in December.

About a tutorial night? I don't recall reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    New info will be posted on the tutorial starting feb 15 on the dcas website. Read the post I left earlier that's the only email I have received so far.

I'm certain that every one of us got that email. I'm not taking about the online tutorial that will be updated soon. I'm speaking of this personal tutorial on the Vulcan site that they posted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    About a tutorial night? I don't recall reading that.

I'm certain that every one of us got that email. I'm not taking about the online tutorial that will be updated soon. I'm speaking of this personal tutorial on the Vulcan site that they posted.

The December 7th entry, it's not word for word the same but they have

"
    Tutoring/ test preparation- an on-line tutorial is expected to begin 1/11/12. Information and Tutorial Nights are scheduled to begin the week of 2/6/12."

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-21-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

I am concerned about the last portion of the exam, which states in the tutorial will cover experience and behavior type questions. Why is there no tutorial of a practice question detailing this portion? I figure that the answers to these type of questions will fall into the "agree, strongly agree, disagree, strongly disagree" type. That is subjective grading! How is there a right or wrong answer. What exactly is the FDNY looking for in this portion? What can i do to prepare myself for this portion? Additionally does this portion try and pick a certain "candidate" of ethnicity? IS this going to be fair or biased??

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyUp23 View Post
    I am concerned about the last portion of the exam, which states in the tutorial will cover experience and behavior type questions. Why is there no tutorial of a practice question detailing this portion? I figure that the answers to these type of questions will fall into the "agree, strongly agree, disagree, strongly disagree" type. That is subjective grading! How is there a right or wrong answer. What exactly is the FDNY looking for in this portion? What can i do to prepare myself for this portion? Additionally does this portion try and pick a certain "candidate" of ethnicity? IS this going to be fair or biased??
    Those questions are based on common sense. For example, most people do drugs at your place of work. Strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree. I believe that reading comprehension questions are the ones that are going to eliminate people from further participation. But that's just my opinion.

Forum Member

Those questions are based on common sense. For example, most people do drugs at your place of work. Strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree. I believe that reading comprehension questions are the ones that are going to eliminate people from further participation. But that's just my opinion.
    I'll reiterate that no one knows this portion of the exam, and can and most likely will take on a demension of its own. DCAS/PSI knows this hence why no tutorial involved. Just take your time and think positively.

Forum Member

They're personality questions. Each one will produce a "score" concurrent with a model firefighter. There are no study guides because study guides are counter-conducive to the idea of a personality test. Take the test and hope your personality is the one for which they are looking. By the way, don't try to fool the personality test. There are scales built into the exam that measure "false positive" i.e. trying to "look good."

Forum Member

Check out this website http://www.fireprep.com/.

They have a FDNY prep course you can download for $50 that covers most of the generic things you would expect, but it also has a portion on the behavior type questions. As some of the guys on here said it might seem a little strange to "study" for a behavioral exam, but it certainly helps to know what type of questions they will be asking you as well as what answers they are looking for in regards to each style of question. Most of the questions are obvious but some can be a little tricky if you are not prepared.

I definitely recommend it especially if you cant lay out 5-600 dollars for a prep class.

Forum Member

Aside from everyone trying to figure out what questions are going to be where, how many of you are scheduled for tests outside of the city? I'm taking mine March 15th in Philadelphia.

Forum Member

In the mean time check this out. Does anyone think there biased question?

http://documents.nytimes.com/new-yor...aminations#p=1
    If you're going to raise a question of a test being biased, you might want to include the picture that goes along with those questions. The test isn't asking asking firefighter knowledge, it shows a picture and then asks the test taker to recite the picture from memorization. It just happens to be on a fire department test so they are going to provide you with a picture of a fire scene. You start a lot of crap dude, I've read your previous posts and you like to spout off about stuff you know nothing about. Try to respect the thread for what it is, a means for aspiring New York City firefighters to connect with each other to better themselves.

Based on the info they provide, I would lean towards this one.
    I've used their products before and had positive results.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Aside from everyone trying to figure out what questions are going to be where, how many of you are scheduled for tests outside of the city? I'm taking mine March 15th in Philadelphia.
    I've saw a few others in this thread state they had test locations out of the city. But they lived outside of the city. You have you're from Far Rock, taking the test in Philly can't be right ?

Forum Member

http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com/

Very interesting stuff. So African americans are slightly behind white americans, but latinos and asians are under-represented? This brings me to my next question, WTF is the judge trying to proof? AFRICANs are 38% over represented by the city and thats 1% less than white americans, so whats the real motive here? I could understand Latinos and asians, but this judge makes it seem like African americans are at the bottom of the barrel, please cut it out. THEN AGAIN, I dont do statistics and I dont know how true this story is(LEGIT WISE) .One thing is for sure, if this becomes a thing of the norm. A lot of exam will be thrown out base on "STATISTIC RESULTS" and thats just BS!!! P.s I was born in the U.S. but my nationality is hispanic and I KNOW RACISM IS STILL HUGE IN THIS COUNTRY AND THATS A FACT! I know some people will say otherwise, but THATS YOUR OPINION! That being said, I dont agree with this judge as far as giving special treatment to minorities, BUT I DO AGREE THERE IS RACISM GOING ON! And that could be said for any job/career. Speaking on the behalf of spanish people, WE DONT NEED ANY HAND OUTS, look at Mexican people....THEY LITTERALLY KILL THEMSELFS.....FOR WHAT.....7.50$ AN HOUR!, and they can support there family on that. I COULD GO ON FOR DAYS WITH THIS, but thats not the point! The point is this, ANYBODY WHO WANTS SOMETHING.........HAS TO BLEED AND WORK HARD FOR IT, even if you dont get it the first time. Get back up.........and Push harder for it! EVENTUALLY YOU WILL BREAK THAT BARRIER!.....just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    If you're going to raise a question of a test being biased, you might want to include the picture that goes along with those questions. The test isn't asking asking firefighter knowledge, it shows a picture and then asks the test taker to recite the picture from memorization. It just happens to be on a fire department test so they are going to provide you with a picture of a fire scene. You start a lot of crap dude, I've read your previous posts and you like to spout off about stuff you know nothing about. Try to respect the thread for what it is, a means for aspiring New York City firefighters to connect with each other to better themselves.
    my point was that if the difficulty level is going to be just like this exam then it means it will be based on common sense. every question in this exam was painfully obvious they gave you the answer. i wasnt pointing out memorization i was pointing out the simplicity in the questions itself. and if you didnt understand what i was pointing out then YOU my might want to work on your reading comprehension skills my friend. just a friendly piece of advise you might have to call psi inc. and change your test location it must of been a mistake. But what do i know i spout my mouth alot.

P.s. the picture was at the bottom of that website. the website belongs to the NEW YORK TIMES not me.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Forum Member

Guys just a reminder let's keep everything on here to the point and not get involved in anything that may be viewed as disrespectful. Let's keep it positive and on track. Every time you post, think to yourself: if an outsider reads this; how would it represent all of the FDNY hopefuls? If you have the slightest feeling that it would bring any shame to the revered FDNY name, think twice. We are not as anonymous as you would think on here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Guys just a reminder let's keep everything on here to the point and not get involved in anything that may be viewed as disrespectful. Let's keep it positive and on track. Every time you post, think to yourself: if an outsider reads this; how would it represent all of the FDNY hopefuls? If you have the slightest feeling that it would bring any shame to the revered FDNY name, think twice. We are not as anonymous as you would think on here.
    I hear you, is just....sometimes....things can be EXTREMELY out of whack! but I know what you mean bro.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    We are not as anonymous as you would think on here.
    Quoted for truth.

If you only knew..

Thread Information