Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Fdsouthbx..pm box is full
    Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Just curious. How many guys retire in a given year, or recently rather? Like is the projected ratio for hiring making up for or overshooting the number of guys leaving every year?
    The number of guys who are retirement eligible is small. That's not going to be as an issue. Don't worry about that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    That's one of those things that fluctuates. Look, worrying about this kind of stuff will make you crazy. All of us have had the anxiety of waiting to hear when we'll get on; best I can tell you is focus on your life as it is right now. Keep up on what's going on, but don't hang on the every little piece of the hiring equation. I'll tell you the way one of my senior guys told me when he caught me glued to a scanner listening to a fire on the other side of the city: "relax, they'll call us if they need us". Just that simple.
    You should take that advice now too. This is a forum for information, not a firehouse.

Forum Member

So I don't wanna over step my bounds with questions like this considering iam not on the job yet and it does not affect me but just out of curiosity how different is the pension system changed over the past 10 years until present?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You should take that advice now too. This is a forum for information, not a firehouse.
    Once again, and finally, you get no say in what goes on. Shut the fu*k up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    So I don't wanna over step my bounds with questions like this considering iam not on the job yet and it does not affect me but just out of curiosity how different is the pension system changed over the past 10 years until present?
    This actually does affect you and is something you should look into. Check into the UFA website and search it will give you a rundown of what you do and don't get. Things have indeed changed.

Forum Member

Things have changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the major changes which greatly have an effect on anyone new coming in.

1. No more going out 3/4's on injury only 1/2.

2. No more widows and orphans benefits if you die on the job.

3. OT no longer effects your retiring salary. It's based off your straight pay only.

4. and its either 22.5 or 23.5 years for retirement.

Somehow EMS kept all of those things though aside from retirement time. They've always been 25 years.

Forum Member

Things have changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the major changes which greatly have an effect on anyone new coming in.

1. No more going out 3/4's on injury only 1/2.

2. No more widows and orphans benefits if you die on the job.

3. OT no longer effects your retiring salary. It's based off your straight pay only.

4. and its either 22.5 or 23.5 years for retirement.

Somehow EMS kept all of those things though aside from retirement time. They've always been 25 years.
    OT does effect your retiring salary but gets caped at 15 percent as far as determining your pension

Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong.. But is the widow/orphan fund like the SGLI payment in the army if you get killed?

Or is it something totally different?

Should I look into buying an extensive life insurance policy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong.. But is the widow/orphan fund like the SGLI payment in the army if you get killed?

Or is it something totally different?

Should I look into buying an extensive life insurance policy?
    You'll be offered life insurance and its worth buying. What you really should do is put pressure on your elected officials to change this BS policy!

A firehouse, as in that place you know nothing about because you're a candidate? Backlash against a guy who's here on his own time to share some information, is ridiculous. You don't like what he has to say? You don't like the way he says it? Tough shyte. You ask questions, you'll get answers and good ones at that. If this kind of thing bothers you here, the firehouse is gonna be a rough place.....any firehouse. The most junior guy on this job, right now, has 5 years on, almost at least. Until you have 5 years, no one wants to hear a word out of your mouth, that's just the way it is. This isn't a firehouse, but it's connected to this job, so you might as well get used to the attitude.

Lets keep it simple, ask questions, get answers and you won't always like what you hear or how it's delivered. Period.
    ffbam24 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    A firehouse, as in that place you know nothing about because you're a candidate? Backlash against a guy who's here on his own time to share some information, is ridiculous. You don't like what he has to say? You don't like the way he says it? Tough shyte. You ask questions, you'll get answers and good ones at that. If this kind of thing bothers you here, the firehouse is gonna be a rough place.....any firehouse. The most junior guy on this job, right now, has 5 years on, almost at least. Until you have 5 years, no one wants to hear a word out of your mouth, that's just the way it is. This isn't a firehouse, but it's connected to this job, so you might as well get used to the attitude.

Lets keep it simple, ask questions, get answers and you won't always like what you hear or how it's delivered. Period.
    I gotta say, and you know this from being on awhile, what the old timers were saying about the job going down the tube is actually starting to come true. I used to think it was because they just got so used to things the way they were as far as nobody messing with you between fires and wearing masks, but they were right. These punks wanting to come on are some of the most disrespectful know it all pieces of sh*t I've run on. I have years in the Marines, combat time and am almost 40. And I shut my mouth and took orders and abuse from a 23 year old kid because he had 2 years on because that's how things get done on this job. That a CANDIDATE would think they get to throw their weight around, give orders or attempt to influence a conversation about this job astounds me.

FdnyFFhopeful and spiderneck: do this job and this city a favor: STAY OFF IT. Go be a cop or a garbageman if you want city pay; this job ain't for you.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    . These punks wanting to come on are some of the most disrespectful know it all pieces of sh*t I've run on. That a CANDIDATE would think they get to throw their weight around, give orders or attempt to influence a conversation about this job astounds me.
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that. With my wife and kids, I hardly get a word in at home anyways.....LOL
    BTW, if anyone calls their investigator, it seems like he knows where you stand in regards to the other tests. I called him to see if he needed anything, and he brought me up on his screen, and he told me that I was all set with my medical and psyc, just a heads up.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-14-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that.
    It's not just the key; it's how you'll be judged. You bring nothing to a firehouse except your fitness level and attitude. You may have aced every class and evolution at the Rock, but you will still know NOTHING about firefighting. None of us did. That's why keeping quiet and listening to the every word and whim of the guys in your house is so big. And you will run into a guy who is going to break your balls over and over again about the tiniest details. It's not because we like being dic*s; it serves a purpose. You need to give up the I, me, my attitude you had to have as a civilian and start thinking in terms of we and us. That's how we stay alive. Nothing will get you in trouble quicker than the bullsh*t attitude that spiderneck and that ffhopeful guy have where they think they get a say in things. Which is why I'm trying to beat it out of them before that happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that. With my wife and kids, I hardly get a word in at home anyways.....LOL
    BTW, if anyone calls their investigator, it seems like he knows where you stand in regards to the other tests. I called him to see if he needed anything, and he brought me up on his screen, and he told me that I was all set with my medical and psyc, just a heads up.
    Did you actually receive a letter for
    Your med?

Forum Member

It's funny that you say that, one of the LTs at the rock said that the guys in the firehouse messed with him by putting buckets of water in the doorway so he would get it everytime he walks in. He said it ****ed him off to no end, but then he realized that it served a purpose. It taught him to look up everytime he walked into a building, plus it made him bring extra clothes everyday. Lesson learned, look up, and come prepared LOL.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Just finished one of those 5mile hr runs teufel, its so hard trying not to speed up. Its doing wonders for my hr though
    FFwnt2b likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Just finished one of those 5mile hr runs teufel, its so hard trying not to speed up. Its doing wonders for my hr though
    I've been having similar success with that tip. I am regularly under my bpm now, no more dancing between pass/fail. It worked pretty quickly for me. I was usually a little under, right on the line or a little over. In the week or two I've been doing those runs and switching up my traininanthem diet) the bpm and my blood pressure actually came down. Thanks again T.

Forum Member

What was the tip teufel, or whoever? Aiming under an hour for a 5 miler? I guess I missed this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

What was the tip teufel, or whoever? Aiming under an hour for a 5 miler? I guess I missed this.
    A couple o pages back teufel was talking about ways to get your hr down. One way he suggested was a couple of 5 milers at/near your hr you need for the medical portion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    I've been having similar success with that tip. I am regularly under my bpm now, no more dancing between pass/fail. It worked pretty quickly for me. I was usually a little under, right on the line or a little over. In the week or two I've been doing those runs and switching up my traininanthem diet) the bpm and my blood pressure actually came down. Thanks again T.
    No problem I'm glad it's helping you. Just remember you'll have to kick it up a bit after your medicals to be ready for the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is hard because you know you can go a lot faster and you feel like it won't work unless you do. But keep it up that medical is killing a lot of guys I hear. Once you get done with that you can do your speedwork.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was for guys who had to retest on the stepmill because their heart rate was too high. It's not a timed thing. Find out what your heart rate should be based on medical's chart (the formula is on here somewhere). Get yourself one of those hr monitors that will alarm if you go over or under the rate you dial in. Then run 5 miles 3 times a week at a pace that keeps you at or near what your hr should be. Even if you're barely jogging, stay at whatever speed keeps your hr where it's supposed to be. I don't know the science of the whole thing, but it worked for me. And even if you can't get it all the way down, your cardio will be good enough to allow you to stay on the stepmill the extra 2 minutes to pass.

Forum Member

Ahh gotcha. How did you guys go as far as adding weight to the vest. If I'm at 45 lbs. now should I be doing like 12 minutes, and just decrease a minute or so with ever 10 lbs. which would leave me able to do like 8 minutes with 75lbs. roughly?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Ahh gotcha. How did you guys go as far as adding weight to the vest. If I'm at 45 lbs. now should I be doing like 12 minutes, and just decrease a minute or so with ever 10 lbs. which would leave me able to do like 8 minutes with 75lbs. roughly?
    I was adding 2lbs per week, and no more than 30 seconds per week to my time. That way before you know it you go from 40lbs to 75lbs and never really shock your body. Just gotta make sure you start early enough to allow yourself time and dont fall off track.

Forum Member

Yea I got it a little before Easter and was doing it 3x a week until this past one when I got sick. Was up to 40 doing like 11-12 minutes. How did you run while also doing the vest? When I dedicate the next day to just running my times suck.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Yea I got it a little before Easter and was doing it 3x a week until this past one when I got sick. Was up to 40 doing like 11-12 minutes. How did you run while also doing the vest? When I dedicate the next day to just running my times suck.
    For now I run M/W/F. Stairs Tues/Sat. It can be tough on your legs at first, but as your legs get stronger it's not so bad. My legs used to be really beat up by Wednesdays but the last few months I've noticed they're fine. In the academy you'll be going up and down stairs and running on the same day, might as well get used to it now.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Thread Information