Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 380 of 1017 FirstFirst ... 280330370377378379380381382383390430480880 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,600 of 20325
Like Tree7719Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Where does that put the 1.5 mile runs? First week of July?
    The guy at CPAT session said that the 1.5 mile run will be around 2-3 weeks before the academy. And that if you fail you gotta do the stepmill again while your heart is being monitored.

Besides the EKG, drug test, hearing and vision, can someone lay out what will take place at the medical? As far as anything else besides what i listed. Is there a lung test or something?
    HopefulFF likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

I sat next to a pH who was 33. Similar age to people on here. He was shocked to hear i was only 21. But none the less i think the assumption that they are 40+ may be skewed.

Forum Member

Besides the EKG, drug test, hearing and vision, can someone lay out what will take place at the medical? As far as anything else besides what i listed. Is there a lung test or something?

Lung capacity ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Lung capacity ...
    Thats it? Ok thanks.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    I sat next to a pH who was 33. Similar age to people on here. He was shocked to hear i was only 21. But none the less i think the assumption that they are 40+ may be skewed.
    Thats why i believe that in my very first post (or second), i voiced my concern as to how anyone would distinguish me from a PH. Im a 31 year old african american, and most candidates are usually white male/25 and younger. I dont wanna be getting any hard looks or recieving sarcastic remarks just becuz some nut ASSUMES that im probably a PH; simply cuz im black and old lol (or older i should say). And i definetely dont want to be asked "Hey r u a PH?" (One PH already asked me that at the CPAT session last week. Its starting already)

The guys on here almost all laughed when i asked "How will you recognize the PH from any other minority?"becuz they all assumed that the PHs are all 40+. Most of them are in fact late 30's-early 40's, and many that i saw on tuesday were fat with grey hair. But many others are early 30's and are hardly distinguishable from all the other candidates. Its for this reason that i am worried that there will be scattered instances of retaliatory remarks and/or actions which may be directed at the wrong candidates.

As the commisioner said, retaliation of any nature should not and most likely will not be tolerated or condoned by the department itself. But knowing humans, u can bet your *** that there will be some negative incidents between probies and guys already otj which will stem from this issue. And for possibly years to come. I highly recommend refraining from any attempts to abuse the PHs verbally or otherwise once we have all been sworn in. There will be more professional ways to address the issue after that point.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

^ wear a name tag that says NOT A PH (just ur standard black FF) :-p HAHAHAHA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Almostthere

You absolutely disgust and sicken me. I pray the city does not hire a single PH
    We really need to watch how we address people. Remember, this is the internet and that means a certain level of anonymity.

I wouldn't put it past the Vulcans to pretend to be a PH and post on this forum to generate some sort of "attacks'' that can be used to placate the people who want to be FDNY firefighters as the type of people to perpetuate the "stubborn bastion of white-male privilege." Catch my drift?

The best thing that any of use can do is to focus on the task and hand and ignore the desire to indulge in any rhetoric that could possibly be construed as offensive. It sure would suck to have one of our "anonymous" posts end up in the Times or the Post, or worse yet, as an exhibit in Federal Court.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

It's all heart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    As the commisioner said, retaliation of any nature should not and most likely will not be tolerated or condoned by the department itself. But knowing humans, u can bet your *** that there will be some negative incidents between probies and guys already otj which will stem from this issue. And for possibly years to come. I highly recommend refraining from any attempts to abuse the PHs verbally or otherwise once we have all been sworn in. There will be more professional ways to address the issue after that point.
    Actually what was stated in the 31 JAN Dept Order is that retaliation is "strictly prohibited" and that disciplinary action will be taken. So any probie, DI, or any member for that matter who mouths off is likely to be putting his career in jeopardy. Someone will be made an example of. I would highly suggest letting the academy and the job weed out those who are not capable, and keeping our high-minded sense of justice regarding the Priority Hires to ourselves.
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    The best thing that any of use can do is to focus on the task and hand and ignore the desire to indulge in any rhetoric that could possibly be construed as offensive. It sure would suck to have one of our "anonymous" posts end up in the Times or the Post, or worse yet, as an exhibit in Federal Court.
    Exactly...
    mocon337 likes this.
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    ^ wear a name tag that says NOT A PH (just ur standard black FF) :-p HAHAHAHA
    lol yea i may have to
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member
    nycthirteen likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    And I saw this too. I'm speechless.
    Wait what happened?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Wait what happened?
    One of the dudes on here looked up #fdny on Instagram and found some woman who is clearly a PH. She looks about 40, clearly out of shape, and says she's gonna start going to the gym and drinking smoothies to get ready for her "agility test". haha
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

One of the dudes on here looked up #fdny on Instagram and found some woman who is clearly a PH. She looks about 40, clearly out of shape, and says she's gonna start going to the gym and drinking smoothies to get ready for her "agility test". haha
    I recommend checking it out if you want a good laugh. A bunch of dudes post pics of their abs too, as if a 6 pack is going to get them through the process.
    mocon337 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Don't think that none of the PHs are going to make it through. I know 40 year olds that I work/worked out with that can probably kick everyone here asses at the gym. Now out of those 490+ you will only find a few like that but for sure some WILL make it.

Forum Member

Yea I mean I agree that some WILL make it. We can't be absolute and generalize that all are out of shape. But people like this woman, who I hate to make an example of, have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE IN FOR. 8 mile runs, search and rescue drills at the Rock in smoked out buildings, and being debased by DIs in a paramilitary environment etc. I'm pretty sure that many, not just PH's, but also a lot of OC guys I know think that it's gonna be a cakewalk and after 18 weeks you get your diploma and your 22.5 years begins. I'm not saying that I have any idea what I'm in for if I'm lucky enough to get to that point, but banana/peanut butter smoothies and a few days at the gym here and there won't cut it from what I gather.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Yea I mean I agree that some WILL make it. We can't be absolute and generalize that all are out of shape. But people like this woman, who I hate to make an example of, have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE IN FOR. 8 mile runs, search and rescue drills at the Rock in smoked out buildings, and being debased by DIs in a paramilitary environment etc. I'm pretty sure that many, not just PH's, but also a lot of OC guys I know think that it's gonna be a cakewalk and after 18 weeks you get your diploma and your 22.5 years begins. I'm not saying that I have any idea what I'm in for if I'm lucky enough to get to that point, but banana/peanut butter smoothies and a few days at the gym here and there won't cut it from what I gather.
    I agree man, hopefully it will weed out the guys with Tommy Gavin Syndrome also
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Uh, i dont think my comment was actually meant to be taken seriously. Definetely not THAT seriously. lol you sound like my old squad NCO in Korea. "This isnt a bathroom!! Its a Latrine!!! Civilians use bathrooms!! Soldiers use Latrines!"

Trust and believe that i am ready, willing and hopefully able to go thru whatever it takes to earn my place among the bravest. There is no looking for an easy way out on this end.

But on a realistic note, the PH's have been, are and forever will have to deal with a little more heat than the rest. Like i said, even regular probies wont like them, and that fact will be reflected in the firehouse, on this forum, CPAT sessions and anywhere else the issue comes up. Its just an unavoidable fact. Even certain guys otj have already stated that the PHs will never be considered "brothers". And others are even hoping that that the instructors at the rock will go harder on the PHs.

Im looking forward to going thru hell and being treated like scum, but expecting that the PHs will be getting a little something extra down the road here and there doesnt seem too far fetched to me. Especially when i read comments from certain of those already otj. Around 2-3 weeks ago, the commissioner issued a statement warning against any retaliatory actions aimed at the PHs. Something caused him to issue that statement. So i cant be that off.
    You spent a hell of a lot of space for a comment you didn't intend to be taken seriously. And then backed it up with your response. It's not that you're off or even wrong; it's that it's none of your concern.

And you may take heed to what that NCO of yours told you; it'll serve well in the academy. Go right ahead and call it a "station house" on your first day. Then come back here and tell us what happened.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you should pay attention to both tone and context when reading my post. That post was in response to somoeone relating a particular experience they had. I wasnt sitting home worrying about it at all before then actually. I never change the atmosphere of the forum. Most of the time I pop in and simply join the current conversation. Context.
    I think you should pay attention to what myself and the other guys on the job are trying to tell you. NONE of this is YOUR concern. YOUR concern is getting through the Rock and your probation. Never mind race, PH's or any of that other crap. It's advice from guys who have been through it. If you don't like my responses or the fact that you think I've taken you out of "context", wait'll you get to the Rock and then your house.

You don't want to listen? Don't. You want to deflect and pretend you were kidding around? Enjoy yourself. By all means, take your mouth right to the Rock. I'll never know who you are or when you get there, but I'll be able to smile knowing the realization of how wrong you are is going to bea painful one. Best of luck.

Forum Member

If half the rumors are true... Half the proby class in now look like they never saw a gym in their life... And they are still in there..... Moral of this story: apparently you can look like **** and still manage to stay at the rock.

Thread Information