Like Tree11268Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

What's the order they have people coming in for appointments? Medical, background, psych, CPAT....background, medical, psych, CPAT....or something else?

Forum Member

It varies, the ph's were going med first, While it looks like a lot of ppl on the oc are getting the psych first. Who knows

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    That is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a hr monitor and will still try to be well under my target hr, but all of my training is for the 8min on the stairs so they have no say in it. Only thing I'm curious about is how they measure fatigue lol. Like if you're sweating will the doctor call it quits early. I try not to stress it, anytime i think about it i go for a run or drive to nysc to get on the stairmill. Hopefully by fatigue the doctors will stop people that are about to fall off
    No, you can sweat, but they look to see if you are gonna fall off or pass out. My guess is they still look at HR, but if its staying where it was and not popping out of your chest , then you are OK.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    No, you can sweat, but they look to see if you are gonna fall off or pass out. My guess is they still look at HR, but if its staying where it was and not popping out of your chest , then you are OK.
    What is going on guys. I actually have my second medical today in regards to the stairmaster. I will provide you guys with futher information on that process. After I pass the second part of the medical, all that is left is the CPAT and the background check. My fingers are crossed.

If I recall, there were several people asking if they can postponed going into the academy until January due to whatever personal reasons they may have. I am going to inquire about that today with my investigator and see what reasons are accepted for such a request to be approved.

Forum Member

Is anyone here part of a runner's club (Road Runners etc.)? My father used to do it. It seems like a good way to get your times down substantially while not even realizing it since you're training for small races that are nearly every weekend/other weekend.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    I'm with ya brother consider me spoken up
    Very good. You two and the other moron can go ahead and start your own forum for fireman wannabes who think they know it all already. Since you don't need anyone to tell you what goes on in the FDNY, you very obviously don't need to be on this site. You won't be missed.

Understand this: I WILL take a sh*t on you every chance I get from now on. I don't care how you feel about it. Your best bet would be to let this go as is.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 04-15-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Is anyone here part of a runner's club (Road Runners etc.)? My father used to do it. It seems like a good way to get your times down substantially while not even realizing it since you're training for small races that are nearly every weekend/other weekend.
    There is actually an FDNY runner's club. Most of them are fitness instructors at the Rock so I don't recommend you join as a candidate, even if they let you, but it's worth looking into. They can point you in the right direction as far as clubs in the area.

Forum Member

couple of things...

just spoke to my investigator, I haven't been scheduled for my med yet. I know someone else mentioned they called and were able to find out their date, but they must be ahead of me on the list. My investigator said that does not mean my med will be after my psych though.

over the weekend at the rock I was picking the brain of a guy who passed the med on his second chance, he stressed what we hear here, just be able to do the 8 minutes and you'll be fine. 2 guys that were there with him couldnt do the full 8.

like almostthere mentioned, id say 95% of the guys Im speaking to at the rock are all saying theyd prefer to go in for january...more time to prepare, and it'll be easier to train in the winter than the summer

edit: to be clear, im pretty sure you need a legit reason & to be cleared to defer, just giving you a heads up of the mindset im hearing
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 04-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    id say 95% of the guys Im speaking to at the rock are all saying theyd prefer to go in for january...more time to prepare, and it'll be easier to train in the winter than the summer
    Careful. The heat definitely sucks but imagine being covered in ice while you do your evolution and then waiting an hour for everyone else to finish before you can get dry. Just go whenever; the weather will play its games with you either way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Careful. The heat definitely sucks but imagine being covered in ice while you do your evolution and then waiting an hour for everyone else to finish before you can get dry. Just go whenever; the weather will play its games with you either way.

I agree 100%. I'll run in 120 degree heat 5 days a week if that's what it takes to get in for July lol. I try not to judge anyone, everyones circumstances are different but when they tell me they'd prefer January....I just don't get that. I'd like to be in for...yesterday lol.

Forum Member

I can understand wanting to train in the cooler/colder weather but for this job I would go in any class regardless of weather. I can understand deferring because of extenuating circumstances but the weather , it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Quick question about the warm up on the step mill, the 3 minutes before the actual test with the vest on, are you allowed to hold on to the rails during those 3 minutes ? That makes a huge difference in HR. I do practice the step mill 3x a week with a 55 LBS vest on for 15-20 minutes each time and I run 4-6x a week but I'm still nervous about my HR. When I monitor myself while working out my HR is under what my max can be for the exam. But when my physical finally does come up I'm sure my heart will be beating a few extra beats per minute just from nerves.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Anyone between 250-280 receive their medical date yet?

I have my psychological this Saturday AM.

Forum Member

if you have to do 8 minutes, it would be with 75 or 50 pounds?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Medical is 50, cpat stairmill is the only 75lb one

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I can understand wanting to train in the cooler/colder weather but for this job I would go in any class regardless of weather. I can understand deferring because of extenuating circumstances but the weather , it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Quick question about the warm up on the step mill, the 3 minutes before the actual test with the vest on, are you allowed to hold on to the rails during those 3 minutes ? That makes a huge difference in HR. I do practice the step mill 3x a week with a 55 LBS vest on for 15-20 minutes each time and I run 4-6x a week but I'm still nervous about my HR. When I monitor myself while working out my HR is under what my max can be for the exam. But when my physical finally does come up I'm sure my heart will be beating a few extra beats per minute just from nerves.

I don’t think people are deferring due to weather. I believe they are just giving their opinion and would rather go in when it is cooler; but wouldn’t pass up this opportunity solely based on how hot or cold it would be. But there are candidates that have other personal issue they would like to resolve first before going into the July class, such as school, military, family issues, etc.

Forum Member

I heard from someone OTJ that went to a chiefs meeting and someone spoke their saying that the PHs don't have the option to defer or to be recycled. Anyone else hear that?

Forum Member

My investigator said that is not true. The PH’s will have the same options as the guys on the OC list. Also, if you have to defer, the term DCAS use is decline, you have to give a reason, but it doesn’t matter what reason you give them, they will honor it. But, you would have to go down to DCAS and re instate or tell them to keep your name on the list; and hopefully, you will be hired for the next class. See I used the word HOPEFULLY!!
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    My investigator said that is not true. The PH’s will have the same options as the guys on the OC list. Also, if you have to defer, the term DCAS use is decline, you have to give a reason, but it doesn’t matter what reason you give them, they will honor it. But, you would have to go down to DCAS and re instate or tell them to keep your name on the list; and hopefully, you will be hired for the next class. See I used the word HOPEFULLY!!
    Almostthere, would you happen to know around how many PH's have already passed the medical?
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Why chance it, what if there is no class in January.....
    When they tell me I'm good, I'm going.
    TomFromQueens likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Very good. You two and the other moron can go ahead and start your own forum for fireman wannabes who think they know it all already
    Ummm...never said this, but ok.

Forum Member

I am not aware of the exact numbers but a firefighter said a lot are passing the second medical. Out of 18 candidates today only two failed the medical.

Forum Member

almostthere nothing against you and I wish you the best in life.
    BUT. I still don't understand why the city is processing PH's after the 2nd circuit court put a stay on the ruling. I hope the city is just covering there asses just in case the ruling goes against the city. MOREOVER i hope when it comes time for the class to go in the city turns around goes HAHA no boys we got this very nice stay on you gentlemen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    almostthere nothing against you and I wish you the best in life.
    BUT. I still don't understand why the city is processing PH's after the 2nd circuit court put a stay on the ruling. I hope the city is just covering there asses just in case the ruling goes against the city. MOREOVER i hope when it comes time for the class to go in the city turns around goes HAHA no boys we got this very nice stay on you gentlemen.
    As much as I wish that was the case, it seems a bit late in the game for the city to pull anything like that.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    As much as I wish that was the case, it seems a bit late in the game for the city to pull anything like that.
    This is another reason why I want to proceed and get my Master’s degree. It would be my backup/2nd option, just in case the city pulls a fast one. If offered the job, I am thinking about deferring until January. By that time, I will have my degree and would have another option of being hired as a teacher.

Anyway, I thought the second circuit appeal was based on not having a monitor oversee the hiring process in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Ummm...never said this, but ok.
    You just said you didn't need anyone to tell you how it is in a firehouse because you already know. Look, little fella, I tire of arguing with you. Nomatter what, YOU'RE WRONG. Just shut up and go with the program. I promise you if you even make it as far as the Rock you'll look back on this and see where I'm coming from.

Thread Information