Like Tree9618Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Just had the pleasure to meet a top senior man. 37 years on the job......Jesus. He told me that he will have to get forced out because he loves this job so much and will not let it go, pretty inspiring IMO. For you guys going to the cpat prep at the rock and are happy with your timing just remember one thing (if they have the same format as in 08'), you get off the stairmill upstairs and your time is stopped till you walk down the stairs, that gives you time to rest and catch your breath a bit. Don't think because you had a time of 8:55 you are good to go on the real thing. You have a total of 3 secs to catch your breath on the real thing for them to just take off those extra 25 pounds for the first station. Adrenaline and nerves kick in and you get winded very quickly after so don't take it lightly.
    Just curious to know what RANK HE WAS WITH 37 YEARS otj? FF, LT, Capt?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Just curious to know what RANK HE WAS WITH 37 YEARS otj? FF, LT, Capt?
    Battalion commander I think he said?? Never heard of that rank honestly, I thought it was battalion chief....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I assume you mean the blood pressure? I was a little high when I got measured the first time prob due to nerves. By the time I met with the doctor I was alright. It's still a concern for me though because it happens too much for my liking when I get it read.

Gotcha. So they let you move on with the rest of it, even after reading a bit high. That's good to know.

On a related note, do they not allow people to go through who have controlled (with meds) hypertension?

Forum Member

I think most times will be lower than the cpat at the rock. For one you don't have to climb stairs just to get to the stairmill, then after you have to walk down those same stairs, then hitting the flat tire takes a few more strikes than the machine they have you hit. Either way i dont think anyone should let up at all after cpat.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=getting ready;1364154]Gotcha. So they let you move on with the rest of it, even after reading a bit high. That's good to know.

On a related note, do they not allow people to go through who have controlled (with meds) hypertension?[/QUOTE

Not sure about BP meds. Might have to have a guy OTJ answer that one for you because I don't want to give you bad info.

Forum Member

They start the clock when you get to each station, it's supposed to resemble the actual test. Yes, it's a little off, but should give people an idea.

Forum Member

I hate to bother you guys seeing as I'm new tot he group, but I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Has anyone above list number 550 received a psych or medical date? I'm checking everyday and neither has come and I'm sort of nervous. Thank you.

Forum Member

Battalion commander I think he said?? Never heard of that rank honestly, I thought it was battalion chief....
    Every battalion has 4 battalion chiefs assigned. One, usually the most senior, is given the title of Battalion Commander. While he shares the same rank, some big decisions and policy are left to be made by him/her. The same is true with divisions. 4 deputy chiefs, one is the division commander.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Every battalion has 4 battalion chiefs assigned. One, usually the most senior, is given the title of Battalion Commander. While he shares the same rank, some big decisions and policy are left to be made by him/her. The same is true with divisions. 4 deputy chiefs, one is the division commander.
    Thank you for clearing that up.
    By any chance did any of the guys OTJ here get a proby or will you get one at your firehouse this week?

Forum Member

Thank you for clearing that up.
    By any chance did any of the guys OTJ here get a proby or will you get one at your firehouse this week?
    Pretty much everyone has a proby this week, next week or both. Why?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Pretty much everyone has a proby this week, next week or both. Why?
    Just wondering what would happen if you guys get called to a job with the proby there, would he be held back or does he take full part of the fire fighting with you guys?

Forum Member

Spoke with my Investigator finally as I haven't been able to get in touch with her. I asked if there was a date for my medical or psych and she said, " it's pending." Does that mean that I just don't have a date yet? She wouldn't elaborate and said she would call me back. I'm a bit concerned.

Forum Member

So I am still trying to figure out my chances for making it in the academy for july. I finished bringing all required documents to my investigator, I have my psych this Saturday, but I still haven't gotten my medical date. I also have yet to receive a date to take the CPAT test, even though I got the letter a few weeks ago about the CPAT orientation dates.

So, has anyone around my list number gotten a medical, or a CPAT Test date? Has anybody around my list number already taken their CPAT?

I could have sworn somebody said that the last date for CPATS is in the middle of May, which is really soon. So I am worried that I may have missed out on some CPAT information, regarding a possible test date of mine.

Also, I wasn't able to make it to the CPAT orientation at long island city a few weeks ago. That wasn't where they assigned you a CPAT test date was it?
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

From what I've seen, you are around what everyone else with your list number has. I'm still trying to figure out what "it's pending" means when I asked my investigator for a psych or medical date. Guess I don't have one yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    So I am still trying to figure out my chances for making it in the academy for july. I finished bringing all required documents to my investigator, I have my psych this Saturday, but I still haven't gotten my medical date. I also have yet to receive a date to take the CPAT test, even though I got the letter a few weeks ago about the CPAT orientation dates.

So, has anyone around my list number gotten a medical, or a CPAT Test date? Has anybody around my list number already taken their CPAT?

I could have sworn somebody said that the last date for CPATS is in the middle of May, which is really soon. So I am worried that I may have missed out on some CPAT information, regarding a possible test date of mine.

Also, I wasn't able to make it to the CPAT orientation at long island city a few weeks ago. That wasn't where they assigned you a CPAT test date was it?
    The instructor at Randall's Island tonight said that letters should be going out for the CPAT this week and tests should start on the 28th.

Forum Member

FDNY Probies run on the FDR Drive with American flags the day after the Boston Marathon bombings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6KU...e_gdata_player
    mocon337, DannyD0pe and FFwnt2b like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post

I'm right there with you at 2xx. I also have turned in everything required by my investigator. I have not received anything in regards to the medical or the official CPAT test date. I have appointment for the psychological this Saturday, as well.

I went through this process before, in 2008, for the class that never was. The process takes time and we are usually pretty much in the dark about things until we get mail and are scheduled for each part of the process. That's the way it works. I suspect after we do the psych, we will get dates for the medical and CPAT. We shall see.

Of course there's always going to be rumors and small bits of information, but take it all with a grain of salt. And when other people start getting things, the usually post it here, so you'll get an idea about when you should expect something in the mail.

It sounds like you're ready brother, just keep on training, walking the straight line and your time will come.
    Last edited by Minerva; 04-17-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Forum Member

It's been said before but when doing the step mill w/ vest, not looking at your HR makes a world of difference. Last time I used my HR monitor was in December and I would stay fixated on my HR and I would always end up exceeding my max HR by a beat or two. Yesterday I used the monitor for the first time since December and only checked in at the 3 minute mark and 5:20 mark and was surprised to see at 5:20 my HR was 10 beats below what my max can be. Anyone struggling with HR on the step mill try your best not to look at it while doing the stepmill.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Spoke to my investigator today, they said they are projecting at going upto ~425 List # for the July Class, so bad news for me being low 700s but It gives me time to be extra prepared , just sucks to miss out
    Hey, have you received you medical or psych date yet? I'm 5xx and haven't received either yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It's been said before but when doing the step mill w/ vest, not looking at your HR makes a world of difference. Last time I used my HR monitor was in December and I would stay fixated on my HR and I would always end up exceeding my max HR by a beat or two. Yesterday I used the monitor for the first time since December and only checked in at the 3 minute mark and 5:20 mark and was surprised to see at 5:20 my HR was 10 beats below what my max can be. Anyone struggling with HR on the step mill try your best not to look at it while doing the stepmill.
    Completely agree with you. Every time I looked at my heart rate it will exceed my max allowable. I went for my second medical yesterday, and the worst part of the stair mill is not being able to look at anything but a blank wall. It was hard not to look at the time on the machine. Once I looked at the time I can feel my heart rate go up just because of nerves. Luckily I passed, but my advice for anyone is to sing a song or two in your head, or think of something that can pass the time. It sucks just doing the stairs with nothing to think about. It feels like it is taking forever. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the process.
    Last edited by FDNY-USCG; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Completely agree with you. Every time I looked at my heart rate it will exceed my max allowable. I went for my second medical yesterday, and the worst part of the stair mill is not being able to look at anything but a blank wall. It was hard not to look at the time on the machine. Once I looked at the time I can feel my heart rate go up just because of nerves. Luckily I passed, but my advice for anyone is to sing a song or two in your head, or think of something that can pass the time. It sucks just doing the stairs with nothing to think about. It feels like it is taking forever. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the process.
    congrats on passing, must be a huge relief. Was yesterday your originally scheduled day for the med? I thought with a list # like yours you'd have taken the med a few weeks ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    congrats on passing, must be a huge relief. Was yesterday your originally scheduled day for the med? I thought with a list # like yours you'd have taken the med a few weeks ago.
    My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    ahhh, that makes sense. I was actually wondering about that resting heart rate & first three minutes myself. So you went more than double your resting rate on the 3 minute warm up, and that was it? Never put the vest on the first time? So when you went back did you go right in to the 5 min with the vest or another 3 warm up?

Sorry for the 20 Q's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    ahhh, that makes sense. I was actually wondering about that resting heart rate & first three minutes myself. So you went more than double your resting rate on the 3 minute warm up, and that was it? Never put the vest on the first time? So when you went back did you go right in to the 5 min with the vest or another 3 warm up?

Sorry for the 20 Q's.
    Don't apologize. This is what this forum is for so we can help each other out. I'll try to answer anything that I can, and as accurate as possible. My resting heart rate for my first medical was 65, which means that my max allowed for the 3 minute portion with no vest was 130. After the three minutes, my resting heart rate was 140, so I never even got to put on the vest which got me kind of upset but no big deal. When I went back yesterday, the exam started the same way with the 3 minute warm up, and this time I didn't go over my max because my resting heart rate was a little higher at 72 which made my max 144, but for the second time on the stairmaster it really doesn't matter because even if you are over your max the doctor will allow you to do the stairs anyway. After the 5 minute grace period from the warm up, then you put the vest on and start the stairmill portion. At the 5:12 mark, one of the FF will check your heart rate to see if you are under your max, my max was 176, so at that mark I was at 171 so I was done with the exam. The other guys were over their max allowed and had to continue until they hit the 8 minute mark. As long as you finish and don't look like you are about to die, then the doctor will sign you off and you will be on your way. I hope that was clear and not confusing. You can always private message me if you have more questions and do not want to post them on here.
    vekdoggs75 and CableGuy516 like this.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

Don't apologize. This is what this forum is for so we can help each other out. I'll try to answer anything that I can, and as accurate as possible. My resting heart rate for my first medical was 65, which means that my max allowed for the 3 minute portion with no vest was 130. After the three minutes, my resting heart rate was 140, so I never even got to put on the vest which got me kind of upset but no big deal. When I went back yesterday, the exam started the same way with the 3 minute warm up, and this time I didn't go over my max because my resting heart rate was a little higher at 72 which made my max 144, but for the second time on the stairmaster it really doesn't matter because even if you are over your max the doctor will allow you to do the stairs anyway. After the 5 minute grace period from the warm up, then you put the vest on and start the stairmill portion. At the 5:12 mark, one of the FF will check your heart rate to see if you are under your max, my max was 176, so at that mark I was at 171 so I was done with the exam. The other guys were over their max allowed and had to continue until they hit the 8 minute mark. As long as you finish and don't look like you are about to die, then the doctor will sign you off and you will be on your way. I hope that was clear and not confusing. You can always private message me if you have more questions and do not want to post them on here.

great info. Thanks!

Thread Information