Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 383 of 1196 FirstFirst ... 283333373380381382383384385386393433483883 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 23905
Like Tree9364Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

i'll 4th and 5th that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I'll 2nd that
    I third that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I third that
    Damit ... I got caught up at work !!! Ill 6th that

Forum Member

Didn't see the posts where people were saying stuff you didn't like but don't leave please.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Maybe someone else who was present at either of the CPAT orientation seesions today can add their observations, but it sure seemed like there was an awful lot of people not prepared...or in other words, not in shape. Some looked to be way out of shape.

The instructors mentioned that 24 had dropped out from the current class and that approximately 20 more are on the edge.

There was an enthusiastic and blunt Lieutenant there today as well. He mentioned the city advertising all these great benefits of the job (ie flexible schedule), but neglected to mention that it's a tough job and that you actually go to fires. And that you could die doing it.

Looking at the calender, it's approximately 23 weeks until July 29th. It's going to be warm out there, for anyone who makes it into the class.
    Yeah I was there, totally forgot his name but he seemed really cool and down to earth. Am I the only one who was nervous as hell just sitting in the auditorium ? And I'm usually a really chill care free person
    Also, all the people worrying about rep ranges and how heavy the weights are. I'd recommend not even worrying about that, your not 18 weeks out of a bodybuilding show, as long as you keep the intensity of the workouts high and incorporate cardio, you'll be fine for the CPAT. I can't comment on The Rock since I don't know exactly what it's all about, physically at least. Also Id worry more about not getting injured from doing max RM squats or DLs and lighten up the weights and work more towards explosive movements and endurance. But like one of the lieutenants said the finish line is really close, so just stay positive and keep working out. Theres no reason to worry about things you have no control over
    Last edited by SnatchBK; 02-18-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Yeah I was there, totally forgot his name but he seemed really cool and down to earth.
    Lt. Morgan was his name. I felt all the Lt.'s were really good people, and were there to help out evryone. Lt. Morgan, and Lt. Ferrara are mentors, I don't think the other Lt. was.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Yeah I was there, totally forgot his name but he seemed really cool and down to earth. Am I the only one who was nervous as hell just sitting in the auditorium ? And I'm usually a really chill care free person
    Also, all the people worrying about rep ranges and how heavy the weights are. I'd recommend not even worrying about that, your not 18 weeks out of a bodybuilding show, as long as you keep the intensity of the workouts high and incorporate cardio, you'll be fine for the CPAT. I can't comment on The Rock since I don't know exactly what it's all about, physically at least. Also Id worry more about not getting injured from doing max RM squats or DLs and lighten up the weights and work more towards explosive movements and endurance. But like one of the lieutenants said the finish line is really close, so just stay positive and keep working out. Theres no reason to worry about things you have no control over

Intensity Intensity Intensity if you feel like you can't go any harder and your out out of gas and than do more than ur doing whatever your doing right
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Such a sad state of affairs of what's going on with the fdny. I'm leaving a 6 figure job to join the fdny. I pray it stays somewhat recognizable to what I dream of it being. Great job, great hours, great oppurtunities to advance. Mutuals. Hoping the job stays the way I dream it to be. Ph's??? Please don't f**k it up! Respect the tradition that makes the job the greatest. Get on board. To those of us against the whole court decision, a couple hundred deadbeats shouldn't have the power to ruin what we all are training our asses off for. Stay strong brothers tow the line of the Heros that came before us. Anyone not for the tradition of this great institution will fail in more ways than you can imagine. Remember, no matter what, merit does matter! Go hard fellow 103's and above. Make the rest of the look bad every step of the way
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Like most of us on this job, he's probably been to enough fire in a 5 year period that he can't remember them all. This is an internet forum and an anonymous one, which give mu h courage. Never have I heard aomeone so certain to achieve something they know so little about. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth so that you can listen twice as much as yoh speak. You would be well suited to an attitude adjustment.

On that subject, sadly this forum has degenerated into something that I find to be an embarrasment to this great organization. Too bad, I'm optimistic for most of you. All I get when I come here is frustration. No more for me...
    I hear you. But like I said to someone else on here, there are good guys looking to do the right thing. Jukez is a class A ******bag and he knows it. He also knows he can get away with it here online. They'll hook him up when he gets to a house if he makes it that far.

If you do go, I thank you for the good advice you've been giving on here the past few years.

Forum Member

Terrible 1.5 run .... Need more running !!!! And more running

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Where does that put the 1.5 mile runs? First week of July?
    Figure 1.5 mile run on July 17-20. When you pass you'll get a letter asking you to report for Monday the 22nd. This is only if they go at the speed of EMS hiring which so far is not. We had CPAT orientation and started the next week. I went on Saturday and was back on Monday for my first prep day. So you never know they might leave a week or two between things and my assumptions will be way off. Although once they are at the point of 1.5 mile run they are ready to go. We'll see. I'm sure everyone will be ready :-)
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Ugh you guys are a bunch of jackasses.

If you used your head for 5 god damn seconds you'd realize that the black woman you're making fun of for no reason is not a PH but an EMT that's going to take the EMS agility test.

Now why don't you stop ****ting all over each other and random strangers on instagram and go do something constructive.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

If you used your head for 5 god damn seconds you'd realize that the black woman you're making fun of for no reason is not a PH but an EMT that's going to take the EMS agility test.

Now why don't you stop ****ting all over each other and random strangers on instagram and go do something constructiv
    e.
    Lol I knew that ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

Now why don't you stop ****ting all over each other and random strangers on instagram and go do something constructive.
    Ok made an assumption I was wrong. Lesson learned. But all politics aside and out of curiosity, what kind of events does the EMS agility test consist of? Again I'm not trying to prove a point I'm actually curious. I know it's no where near the same thing but what kind of stuff did you train for?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    On that subject, sadly this forum has degenerated into something that I find to be an embarrasment to this great organization. Too bad, I'm optimistic for most of you. All I get when I come here is frustration. No more for me...
    I agree with you, but go to user profile > add to ignore list, it's a great feature. Most of the people here are trying to do the right thing, but you know how it goes, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Figure 1.5 mile run on July 17-20. When you pass you'll get a letter asking you to report for Monday the 22nd. This is only if they go at the speed of EMS hiring which so far is not. We had CPAT orientation and started the next week. I went on Saturday and was back on Monday for my first prep day. So you never know they might leave a week or two between things and my assumptions will be way off. Although once they are at the point of 1.5 mile run they are ready to go. We'll see. I'm sure everyone will be ready :-)
    That gives us all who have a shot at the July class 5 months to get our 1.5M times well under 12 minutes. No excuse for any of us. I can't imagine how much it must suck missing the cut off by less than 10 spots but I expect to hear the best time for the July run was by someone from EMS, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    I was telling someone else on here to try and throw in a heavy day of leg/core work, like squats and deadlifts. Now, I'm not a trainer and I really know nothing of the science of fitness. I DO know that I perform much better at fires with that day of heavy lifts. Do what works best for you, but from my experience hardcore leg and core strength is irreplaceable on this job.
    I'm thinking completely ditching either method, heavy or lighter weight/more reps is a bad idea. I'm going to try a combo of both, maybe switch it up every other week. I'm sure every now and then you do need a short burst of brute strength for what ever reason. I'm trying to get to a point where no matter what leg work out I do before I get on the step mill my legs are pretty beat up when I put the weighted vest on. That way at the CPAT/medical when I put the weighted vest on for only 3 or 5 minutes, it'll feel like nothing.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 02-18-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Ok made an assumption I was wrong. Lesson learned. But all politics aside and out of curiosity, what kind of events does the EMS agility test consist of? Again I'm not trying to prove a point I'm actually curious. I know it's no where near the same thing but what kind of stuff did you train for?
    A few minutes on a stairmill with a 40# vest, 2 minutes on an arm bike (simulates doing CPR or something), and 2 different events where you stand on a platform and pull a handle attached to it, which measures the amount of force you can exert. I believe you do it one way to measure arm strength, and then a different way to measure leg strength.

Obviously not all that strenuous. A greater hurdle for prospective EMTs is the height/weight requirement.

Forum Member

Ha! We'll see HopefulFF. I'm going to be 30 when we run! Yikes! I have been distance runner for about 10 years now and they say that you hit your best years for running in your 30's but something tells me there will be some 21 year old kid dusting me lol. Just got back in from a quick 5 miler with those straight west winds coming across the beach.....I love running but man that sucked. Gimme' the heat any day of the week. I know i'll prob be eating those words this summer but for right now thats all I can think of. I'll be in Puerto Rico for almost 3 weeks in March getting some hot runs in everyday. Can't wait!

And yes it sucked just missing this class. The past month was pretty depressing. What are you gonna do though? (shruggs.....) I'm over it now. I have to be. Its not healthy dwelling on that. The hardest part was losing all my partners. They are some of my best friends so work is a little strange but who cares. I'm in the summer class. That is what matters now. There are a whole lot of guys who would love to be in my current situation and I can't take it for granted. I worked hard enough the past 5 and 1/2 years to afford me the opportunity of being a part of the summer class before a lot of guys who scored higher than me. Moaning and bitching about not making the first class kind of throws all that out the window. 6 extra months in EMS for the best job the rest of my life.......Focus.......
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 02-18-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Funny you should mention joining 2/25 because that's my old unit. I 'm an 0311 and I ended up with battalion S-2. The unit filled up with prior service guys so damn quick after 9/11 there was no more room for me in any of the line companies so I had to settle for being the intel officer's body guard in Iraq. Idiot wanted his Combat Action ribbon so bad he nearly got me killed at least once a week. Anyway, it's a damn good unit, especially Golf, and you'll enjoy it. Last I heard they were going back across the pond sometime this year but I'm not sure when that'll be. No better a reserve unit to be in; I wish you good luck.

No sweat. A Marine or soldier who isn't a cocky little arrogant SOB is of no use to anyone. I shouldn't have opened my mouth in the first place so I apologize if anything I said was out of line. Best of luck to you.

I can only speak for myself but I run 5 1/2 miles 3 times a week in about 50 minutes for the past 6 months. Before that I ran the regular USMC 3 mile runs and all other associated PT. That 1.5 mile run hurts me worse than any other PT I've ever done. I can do it but it takes me just under 12 minutes and my a** is officially kicked when I finish. Strangely enough, if I keep running past that 1.5 mark my stride and breathing even out and my pace increases, but that first few minutes is a b**ch. Don't be surprised to see failures; they wouldn't only run you 1.5 if it was as easy as you feel it is.

I failed the police psychological interview and was disqualified. I had been to see a counselor after my first stint on active duty ended in 2000 because I was having trouble adjusting to civilian life. I saw a social worker for about three months until I got control of the situation. I was honest about this to the psychologist and turned over the requested documents, but he failed me anyway. Will this sort of thing disqualify me from the FD? More to the point, should I mention it at all? And if I don't, would they be able to find out about it due to the current HIPPA laws? I'm inclined to be up-front

You my friend are a mess. Trust me I have no interest in you considering me as a "brother". Could barely make 1.5 in 12 mins, talking about your fitness getting you through all this and that yet you still failed you medical first time around... Bashing me for being cocky yet look at your old posts. No wonder you bash other departments, are you resentful that PD gave you the boot?

Coming here picking on people because you OTJ, I showed all this to friends who been OTJ way longer than you and they just laughed and said "what a buff". Sorry sir I won't come here kissing your *** because you OTJ, but maybe you should show some more respect to people no matter what their personalities are, just because they might be working just as hard as you did when you weren't OTJ.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Ha! We'll see HopefulFF. I'm going to be 30 when we run! Yikes! I have been distance runner for about 10 years now and they say that you hit your best years for running in your 30's but something tells me there will be some 21 year old kid dusting me lol. Just got back in from a quick 5 miler with those straight west winds coming across the beach.....I love running but man that sucked. Gimme' the heat any day of the week. I know i'll prob be eating those words this summer but for right now thats all I can think of. I'll be in Puerto Rico for almost 3 weeks in March getting some hot runs in everyday. Can't wait!
    If I'm fortunate enough to pass everything else & my # gets called for July I'll be 29, so I'm right there with you. Some of these younger guys may have age on us, but you learn a lot about yourself and life between the ages of 21 and 29, that is where we have an advantage. At least that's what I tell myself lol.

keep running in P.R. Enjoy yourself, but not too much.
    JerkAlert likes this.

Forum Member

Wait, what? I have no idea whats going on here and I'm not trying to get involved but one thing I always understood was that no matter who you are at this point or who you know on the job....you should be keeping your mouth shut. Just saying....this message board in littered with non sense right now.

Thread Information