Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    Hey guys - on the stair master do they use the same speed throughout? Also what number speed on the stairmill / steps per minute are they set to?
    60 steps per minute....

Forum Member

List # 14XX...roundabout i'm thinking summer 2014? am I off with that guess?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Same bro, it was good to put a face to a name on here. I picked up a few of those grippers, tryna pull the hose on the extra work machine like you lol. You should be getting dates soon, hope we make july man
    Received my CPAT letter. Almost have the same exact dates as you bro...5/4, 5/16, 5/21. Work those grippers, they'll help a lot! Pull ups are also great for grip strength and pulling that charged hose.
    grok350 likes this.

Forum Member

My list number got moved up to the 360-365 range since I requested veterans points be added....question for you guys. What was the first thing you guys received to start the whole hiring process? Was it a piece of mail or literally a phone call? From what I understand I won't even start the process until this fall when they start selecting people for January's class since my score was updated this late.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    River is 100% correct. Your investigator knows you, THAT'S IT. They know nothing with regard to hiring ranges and rates. They are not in that loop. The nest class will first exhaust the promo list. After that, it will be filled on a 3:2 ratio of quota hires to those who took the O.C. Once the quota list is exhausted, hiring will begin in order of merit......
    This is my speculation of what list number will be reached for the OC. There are 3 case scenarios based on how many promos will be hired. I calculated a 3/5 Ph to OC ratio and a 1:3 OC hire ratio. The EMS varies because of recycles and promos needing 2 years on the job to get hired.

150 EMS + 108 PHs + 72 OC = 330 Total Class: OC List# reached 216

125 EMS + 123 PHs + 82 OC = 330 Total Class: OC List# reached 246

100 EMS + 138 PHs + 92 OC = 330 Total Class: OC List# reached 276
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

If you guys are looking to improve your grip strength give kettle bell swings a try. If you use the correct form & weight those will help a lot

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    If you guys are looking to improve your grip strength give kettle bell swings a try. If you use the correct form & weight those will help a lot
    True indeed. Kettle bell swings are an all around awesome exercise when done properly. When I was doing Crossfit a while back, those things used to kick my butt...awesome exercise.

Forum Member

That, or just keep it simple and do forearm workouts? Lol
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    That, or just keep it simple and do forearm workouts? Lol
    why not do something that will work your forearms, grip, quads, hammys, back, core, glutes, and shoulders at the same time? Get some bang for your buck!

Forum Member

why not do something that will work your forearms, grip, quads, hammys, back, core, glutes, and shoulders at the same time? Get some bang for your buck!
    I thought we were just talking focusing on grips only, but in that case you are 100 percent correct bro. Dead lifts and pull-ups strengthen grips also.

Forum Member

I added that ab wheel to my core workout...nice. That thing is no joke. I was doing planks and crunches before, I love that ab wheel though
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    Received my CPAT letter. Almost have the same exact dates as you bro...5/4, 5/16, 5/21. Work those grippers, they'll help a lot! Pull ups are also great for grip strength and pulling that charged hose.
    So it looks like, Me, you, and Hopeful are gonna tear that cpat up on 5/4 lol.
    HopefulFF and USMC2024 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Something like this I guess......get ready all.
    FST:

Arguably the most physically challenging task assigned at the academy which, like everything else assigned, gets progressively more difficult. FST is given once a week and mimics the CPAT, though it is a bit more demanding. The first few times engine operations are mimicked (climbing stairs with roll-ups, hoisting hose lines up well holes, etc.), and is followed by truck operations (climbing fire escapes with saws, forcible entry, etc.). After the first two times FST is assigned the probie wears a 45 minute SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) cylinder and is encouraged to complete all the events with air to spare.
    I love me some FST, 12 mins or so of balls to the wall firefighting skills, I prefer FST over 5 mile runs. IMO
    HopefulFF likes this.
    01-13

Forum Member

So I got my intake interview date and it's set for the end of April, but I'm still in Afghnaistan and won't be able to make any appointments until this fall. That's what I requested to be rescheduled for, whenever they start calling people again in the fall to call me then. Anybody know if I have a chance at that happening or am I screwed if I can't make an appointment soon????

Forum Member

MELOX-
    At 1400 I hope youre in by this january! I'm low 3000s so im hoping this SOB moves along.. from what I gather they go through about 1200 list numbers to get their 300 or so for the academy- is that accurate?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffkschrum View Post
    So I got my intake interview date and it's set for the end of April, but I'm still in Afghnaistan and won't be able to make any appointments until this fall. That's what I requested to be rescheduled for, whenever they start calling people again in the fall to call me then. Anybody know if I have a chance at that happening or am I screwed if I can't make an appointment soon????
    Relax. You're on active military duty. It's a bit complicated, but the long and the short of it is your time kinda starts when they call you and you are unable to come because of a military obligation. When you are released from active duty, you call metrotech and they reactivate you off a special military list with preference. So if you get back a year from now, you will immediately begin processing to go into the next class. If you complete your probation, you then get the seniority and pay starting from the time they called you. A guy I went through with was called at the beginning of a six year Navy commitment. When we came off probation, he immediately went to 1st grade pay and seniority (although understand that seniority is for paper purposes; he was still the junior guy). Couple of other guys I know from the Marines were in the same boat, they just didn't have as much time waiting as that one guy. Point is, you're a lock if they call you while still on active duty.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    MELOX-
    At 1400 I hope youre in by this january! I'm low 3000s so im hoping this SOB moves along.. from what I gather they go through about 1200 list numbers to get their 300 or so for the academy- is that accurate?
    It's hard to speculate bro. But going from 6019 they went up to list number 88X to get about 210ish from the OC list. If they finish up all the EMS promotions and the PHs for this class in july then it's pretty accurate to say that they might go through 1000+ to get 320 for the January class since it can be 95 percent off the OC list . So even guys like myself in the mid to high 1000s have a very slim chance to making the January class ( crossing fingers).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Relax. You're on active military duty. It's a bit complicated, but the long and the short of it is your time kinda starts when they call you and you are unable to come because of a military obligation. When you are released from active duty, you call metrotech and they reactivate you off a special military list with preference. So if you get back a year from now, you will immediately begin processing to go into the next class. If you complete your probation, you then get the seniority and pay starting from the time they called you. A guy I went through with was called at the beginning of a six year Navy commitment. When we came off probation, he immediately went to 1st grade pay and seniority (although understand that seniority is for paper purposes; he was still the junior guy). Couple of other guys I know from the Marines were in the same boat, they just didn't have as much time waiting as that one guy. Point is, you're a lock if they call you while still on active duty.
    Thanks for the reply, but here's the catch. I'm no longer active duty military. I am back over here as a civilian contractor. That's why I'm worried. I read something about deferring my number to a later date. Know anything about that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffkschrum View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but here's the catch. I'm no longer active duty military. I am back over here as a civilian contractor. That's why I'm worried. I read something about deferring my number to a later date. Know anything about that?
    You can defer. You'll have to provide a reason, but you can defer. However, depending on your timing, you may not be processed in time for the first class following your return. While you'll essentially be kept at the top of the list, they won't fast track you the same way priority is granted to active military.

Either way, just keep them informed and stay in top of the process and a class will be here when you get back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You can defer. You'll have to provide a reason, but you can defer. However, depending on your timing, you may not be processed in time for the first class following your return. While you'll essentially be kept at the top of the list, they won't fast track you the same way priority is granted to active military.

Either way, just keep them informed and stay in top of the process and a class will be here when you get back.

Dam that's a huge relief!! You guys OTJ providing this information is appreciated beyond belief. I haven slept for three days because of this. Almost had a fake red cross message sent over here just to get me back to the states. Thanks again and I'll be in touch with them on my status

MembersZone Subscriber

Heard today from a co worker, there is about 450 EMS members left on the promotion list. Only 200 ish give or take are eligible for the July class.

Forum Member

Less than 200.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Less than 200.
    hope you're right. That'd prob put the EMS count at around 80 for July (not counting the people who dropped in January & are returning).

but 450 seems like way too many also. That would mean to get 320 they only went through 420 list #s.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the board at BHS it said remaining promo EMS - 457 as of February 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NMFDChris View Post
    On the board at BHS it said remaining promo EMS - 457 as of February 2013

damn. I have no idea what to think then. No mention of how many were eligible for July I assume?

Thread Information