Like Tree9853Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Between the class I came out of and the one after mine, I'd assume 100-150?? And the recycles from this current probie class. Also whoever deferred? Idk to much to speculate
    HopefulFF and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NMFDChris View Post
    Between the class I came out of and the one after mine, I'd assume 100-150?? And the recycles from this current probie class. Also whoever deferred? Idk to much to speculate
    I believe that's in the ballpark JerkAlert thought would be eligible as well

Forum Member

So that means there might be 200 eligible for this class (which we suspected already) AND another 250 left for the January 2014 class? Wow I hope this isn't true.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    So that means there might be 200 eligible for this class (which we suspected already) AND another 250 left for the January 2014 class? Wow I hope this isn't true.
    # eligible and # that make it to the final step and are offered the job aren't the same.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    # eligible and # that make it to the final step and are offered the job aren't the same.
    Oh yea without a doubt. It's just that if it only took 420 guys or so to get the first class, then that's a crazy low ratio.

Forum Member

More than half the July class will be EMS promos. The rest will be 3:2 quota hires: open competitive. That leaves room for 60 from the O.C. I'm guessing, but an educated guess.

Forum Member

Anyone going from PD to FD like me? If so PM me.
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

Forum Member

Really hope it isn't true that they still have around 450 EMS promos to go through. I really had my heart set on that third class, was even practicing in the mirror how I would give my notice to my current employer lol.
    River6019 and coldblood92 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Really hope it isn't true that they still have around 450 EMS promos to go through. I really had my heart set on that third class, was even practicing in the mirror how I would give my notice to my current employer lol.
    Anything can happen brother keep faith and stay positive. And keep practicing that 2 week speech. Add b1tch3s when you walk out lol

Forum Member

I wanted to add for guys paying for private cpat classes, its not worth it. Work out regularly with light weight high reps and run and you'll be fine. I've heard of guys paying around $400 for these practice classes, the city lets you practice at the academy for free when your number is called. Spend that $400 on a vest and sign up for a gym with a stairmill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Exactly how I feel. I was hoping for that third class in January and this very likely will push me back.

Forum Member

Try not to stress the numbers and predict anything. Remember for the current class there were rumors saying it wasn't even going to get filled and look what happened. I'm just running and training and gonna be ready for either scenario. Who else is under 12min for their 1.5? I'm not a distance guy at all but was able to consistently take time off my runs each month with running 4-5 days/week.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

The best thing to remember about the numbers being posted here is that a majority of it is speculation.

The only thing that's certain at this time is that there will be a 3:2 ratio of priorities : open competitive.

The rest is left up to the actions of the people on the lists - and people vary in their actions. People put in varying levels of effort. Some people take things seriously, others don't. While the CPAT is a joke, people do fail. And the medical is not something you can 'push' your way through. You're either in shape and healthy or you're not.

If you're in the running for July and you don't make it, that's 6 more months of training time. If you're further down the road, same thing, more time to prepare, to be ready, to succeed.
    Last edited by Minerva; 04-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Forum Member

I had my second medical today, I wanted to get it over with asap, so I scheduled it for today after doing my initial medical last tuesday. Anyway, I was super nervous going into it, not because of my physical ability to complete the 8 min on the step mill, but I was nervous I would trip on the machine and fall or something dumb like that to get myself disqualified.

Luckily, I didn't do anything stupid and I smoked that test, barely worked up a sweat and wasn't out of breath at all. My work leading up to this did me well. To train I used my school's 50lb vest and would put in 20 minutes on the step mill. While I was there a couple guys dropped out of the step mill because they couldn't hack it. My recommendation for those of you that still have to do the step mill for the medical is just put all your effort into staying on that machine, if you are having a hard time and feel like you can't go any further, just keep pushing. It is literally 8 min of your life and you don't want something as simple as walking on a glorified escalator to stop you from getting on the best job in the world.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I had my second medical today, I wanted to get it over with asap, so I scheduled it for today after doing my initial medical last tuesday. Anyway, I was super nervous going into it, not because of my physical ability to complete the 8 min on the step mill, but I was nervous I would trip on the machine and fall or something dumb like that to get myself disqualified.

Luckily, I didn't do anything stupid and I smoked that test, barely worked up a sweat and wasn't out of breath at all. My work leading up to this did me well. To train I used my school's 50lb vest and would put in 20 minutes on the step mill. While I was there a couple guys dropped out of the step mill because they couldn't hack it. My recommendation for those of you that still have to do the step mill for the medical is just put all your effort into staying on that machine, if you are having a hard time and feel like you can't go any further, just keep pushing. It is literally 8 min of your life and you don't want something as simple as walking on a glorified escalator to stop you from getting on the best job in the world.
    Good job,brother, on making it through and passing.

Forum Member

So if you actually trip and fall you fail with out another chance? sorry I forgot the details.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Pretty sure you trip and fall, you are done.

Forum Member

congrats bro. Looks like you're pretty much set for the July class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So if you actually trip and fall you fail with out another chance? sorry I forgot the details.
    Yeah, if you stop for any reason other than them turning off your machine and telling you that you're done, you fail.

Forum Member

Does anyone have the main number for CID office? I've been trying to get in touch with my investigator for too long now and haven't been able to do so. I don't have the main CID office number though and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help out? Thanks in advance...

Forum Member

718-999-2213 or 718-999-1146 I've had luck with both, but the second number is better than the first.

Forum Member

Any idea if a slight stutter would be a problem? It's mostly just due to anxiety(Not intense situations, just overall), public speaking etc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffkschrum View Post
    718-999-2213 or 718-999-1146 I've had luck with both, but the second number is better than the first.
    Thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Any idea if a slight stutter would be a problem? It's mostly just due to anxiety(Not intense situations, just overall), public speaking etc
    I have heard of guys OTJ with a stutter if I recall correctly.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    A friend of mine is 6 years on and has a horrific stutter. I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on becoming commish down the road.

Thread Information