Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 394 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 294344384391392393394395396397404444494894 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,880 of 20375
Like Tree7738Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    And I'm sure the EMS packet is not much different than fire.
    It's the same, except for Fire they want to know any/all arrests/summons/whatever due to the peace officer status. The packet is exactly the same though. When I went through the process for Fire my CBP was just "please provide all relevant information for each part from the date you were hired by EMS to now". Otherwise identical.

I have no idea what the head count is down to now, but I think it's in the low 290s. While we've gotten rid of everyone that was a PT no go, those that just realized it wasn't for them, and a few that honestly got hurt and will recycle, we've now reached the part of the show where people drop due to a failing academic average. At least 4 quit this week because quitting now means they can recycle into the next, whereas after the midterm if you're still failing you will likely be kicked out.

The academics aren't that hard, it's just a lot of reading at once. If you feel like you're weak in that category work on studying and, maybe more importantly, test taking skills.

Oh and for the last ****ing time it's not an "intake interview". There is no interview. You will meet with Candidate Investigations to process your background investigation packet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Oh and for the last ****ing time it's not an "intake interview". There is no interview. You will meet with Candidate Investigations to process your background investigation packet.
    I have referred to it as an intake interview because that is exactly what it is called in the letter I received from CID.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I made a minor mistake in my packet and I was wondering what you guys thought I should do.

Under the employment section on page 6 I accidentally skipped that page and listed my current employment on page 7. Then continued to list my previous employers on page 8 and 9. So I basically wrote information on page 7 that should have been on page 6. Both pages are the exact same, but I wasn't sure if it were a big deal that I skipped over the first place that I could have written it. Filling the packet out was quite tedious and I honestly didn't realize my mistake until now. I don't want to be on someones radar for "not being able to do what I was asked to do" simply because I made a mistake. Any advice from anyone? Should I cross out page 6 with an N/A? Or leave it blank?

Edit: My father reccomend that I copy the same information from page 7 onto page 6. Thoughts?
    Not trying to let people off the hook for screwing up basic paperwork, but I do have it scanned. PM me your email address and ill send it to you.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I have referred to it as an intake interview because that is exactly what it is called in the letter I received from CID.
    My apologies then. I don't remember ever seeing that. Still, I assure you, it is not a true interview. Put your best foot forward, for sure, but it's not a true interview.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

My apologies then. I don't remember ever seeing that. Still, I assure you, it is not a true interview. Put your best foot forward, for sure, but it's not a true interview.
    Understood. Thanks again for all of your advice.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

I dunno why but I signed up for the Sanitation enforcement agent test tom. I didn't want to miss the filling so I just signed up, don't even know anything about it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I dunno why but I signed up for the Sanitation enforcement agent test tom. I didn't want to miss the filling so I just signed up, don't even know anything about it.
    The less you know the better.

MembersZone Subscriber

@ Manhattan Medic

Just curious if during the academy I would have time to house hunt on the weekends? Just wondering because I'll be staying with some friends during the academy until I can find a place big enough for the family.

Thanks in advance.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    @ Manhattan Medic

Just curious if during the academy I would have time to house hunt on the weekends? Just wondering because I'll be staying with some friends during the academy until I can find a place big enough for the family.

Thanks in advance.
    You should take care of that before or after the academy. You will not have enough time to do that well. When it starts to look clear that you could make it into a class you should try and stabilize your life as much as possible leading up to it, because you will not have time to do anything substantial outside of the academy while you are in it.

I'd be going to bed right now if it wasn't Friday. As it is I will have to fight to make it to 10. An average weekday night includes reading, making lunch for the following day, maybe laundry, and at least 30-60 minutes of time to decompress. There's no time to do anything else. As it is my girlfriend does a lot of stuff around the house that she normally wouldn't because I simply don't have the time or energy. You're not going to be able to do something crazy like look for a new place to live. Also, are you looking to rent or buy?

MembersZone Subscriber

You should take care of that before or after the academy. You will not have enough time to do that well. When it starts to look clear that you could make it into a class you should try and stabilize your life as much as possible leading up to it, because you will not have time to do anything substantial outside of the academy while you are in it.

I'd be going to bed right now if it wasn't Friday. As it is I will have to fight to make it to 10. An average weekday night includes reading, making lunch for the following day, maybe laundry, and at least 30-60 minutes of time to decompress. There's no time to do anything else. As it is my girlfriend does a lot of stuff around the house that she normally wouldn't because I simply don't have the time or energy. You're not going to be able to do something crazy like look for a new place to live. Also, are you looking to rent or buy?
    Probably rent cause I don't think we'll be able to afford for a few years. One of the biggest obstacles I see is finding a place big enough for me, the wife, both kids and our dogs.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Probably rent cause I don't think we'll be able to afford for a few years. One of the biggest obstacles I see is finding a place big enough for me, the wife, both kids and our dogs.
    Not knowing anything about your situation, I can definitely say sacrificing space for roughly a year would be worth the shorter commute. Not saying you gotta be in Astoria like me, but there's a big difference between being in Queens or The Bronx and being deep in Suffolk when you're in the academy. It's a lot of miles, $, and time wasted, whereas my commute is 4 miles each way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Haha did the same thing man see you there
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Question for guys otj who have come from PD or have been thru the PD process. Is the psychological exam the same as the one for PD? I know that PD and Corrections give the same psych so i was wondering if the fire department utilizes the same exam.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for guys otj who have come from PD or have been thru the PD process. Is the psychological exam the same as the one for PD? I know that PD and Corrections give the same psych so i was wondering if the fire department utilizes the same exam.
    No. PD and corrections both have an interview you have to get through in addition to a very long battery of written tests. We have a written with a potential to be interviewed if they don't like something you wrote down. The written is kind of similar to PD, but nowhere near as long.

Keep in mind though, I did this 5 years ago. Some things may have changed between now and then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not knowing anything about your situation, I can definitely say sacrificing space for roughly a year would be worth the shorter commute. Not saying you gotta be in Astoria like me, but there's a big difference between being in Queens or The Bronx and being deep in Suffolk when you're in the academy. It's a lot of miles, $, and time wasted, whereas my commute is 4 miles each way.
    I'll second that. Even coming in from Staten Island every day was a pain in the a**. Getting up at 4 was bad, leaving the house at 430 sucked, but sitting in the lot at the Rock for an hour waiting for your squad because you beat the traffic that may or may not make you late if you leave any later than 430 was the pits.
    HopefulFF and grok350 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wondering what the take home pay is during the academy? If you don't want to post could you please PM me just trying to figure out the logistics of everything so when it comes time to move its one less thing I'll have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    I'll second that. Even coming in from Staten Island every day was a pain in the a**. Getting up at 4 was bad, leaving the house at 430 sucked, but sitting in the lot at the Rock for an hour waiting for your squad because you beat the traffic that may or may not make you late if you leave any later than 430 was the pits.
    Thanks for your input. As of right now if I make it in the academy I was gonna stay with some friends on SI but it seems like that might be more of a hassle.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wondering what the take home pay is during the academy? If you don't want to post could you please PM me just trying to figure out the logistics of everything so when it comes time to move its one less thing I'll have to worry about.

Thanks for your input. As of right now if I make it in the academy I was gonna stay with some friends on SI but it seems like that might be more of a hassle.
    You would be better off in Queens. It's just plain easier on you and the way to go if you aren't already established somewhere in the city. I won't lie to you the take home pay is pretty sorry and tough to support a family on. It'll be rough for a year or two. But it's worth it. I promise you the first day you go to your firehouse with your cake and a silly, sh** eating grin on your face it's all worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

double post

Forum Member

1. Will PM
    2. I'm not badmouthing Staten Island but there's a bunch of guys in my squad who come from there and it definitely sucks balls for them. The evening commute can take an hour and a half, or more, and as teufelhunden36 said they have to make sure to leave early and get to Randalls super early just to make sure they don't get caught in traffic. I think nearly all of them carpool, but they're also still paying the Verrazano toll (once a day), the battery tunnel toll (do you pay the toll going both ways in the tunnel? I can't remember), and the Triboro (once a day).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You would be better off in Queens. It's just plain easier on you and the way to go if you aren't already established somewhere in the city. I won't lie to you the take home pay is pretty sorry and tough to support a family on. It'll be rough for a year or two. But it's worth it. I promise you the first day you go to your firehouse with your cake and a silly, sh** eating grin on your face it's all worth it.
    Just out of curiosity what's so nice about Queens, your the 3rd person that's told me that's probably my best bet.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Thread Information