Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They probably have a problem with beta blockers specifically because of the specific mechanism of action. Beta blockers can have powerful effects since beta receptors are found on a number of different cells and stimulating beta receptors (or blocking that stimulation) has a wide range of effects.

Other types of anti-hypertensives are a lot more specific in their mechanism of action, and don't have as many side effects.

Family Day was pretty amazing. The end is so close I can almost taste it. The worst part now is anxiety over: Where will I be sent? Having to readjust to life outside the academy environment and life inside the firehouse.
    Thanks for the insight MM. I friggin despise my folks for these genetics. I dunno what to do here.

Congrats on being so close btw...

Forum Member

Family day was a good time. To many marriage proposals though. After the first one the jig is up!....So happy for my brothers. Can't wait. BTW the new gear looks good just stands out a bit thats all. Once everyone else has it then it wont be weird anymore. When these guys told me they are the first with the new gear and they stand out so hard because its so different I was expecting to see banana suits like they have down south lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredladder View Post
    Do they have any video on line of family day. I seen some from 2008 family day and it look like so much fun. I would be happy to wear a banana suit if it meant i get the job..lol. Glade all you guys had fun.
    Not video, but if you go on instagram and search for #fdny you will find more than enough pictures.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Family day was a good time. To many marriage proposals though. After the first one the jig is up!....
    But they managed to pull off a triple rescue pickup proposal. A triple! Who would have thought that was possible.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 05-05-2013 at 10:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Not a good idea if you get hurt in the academy, fail out or if you decide that it's not for you. Always good to keep your options open with your previous employer

Cops don't need to give 2 weeks notice. It's a city job..you can quit 2 days before and still have 1 year to go back
    It's EXACTLY the right idea, if you want this job. If you're on the fence, think it might not be for you, or have doubts in general about being a fireman, DON'T TAKE IT. You're using up a list number a guy who's waited his whole life to get on the job could've had. And you certainly shouldn't pass it up because you won't be able to give notice. If you get hurt, heal up and recycle. Decide what it is you want and go get it. There's no room on this job for guys who can't commit to a course of action. If you can give notice, do so. But don't hurt your chances of getting on in the process.

And you missed the point about cops. I was saying that guys on here now who are already cops probably weren't able to give 2 weeks notice when they became cops; not that they had to give notice to the city to come over to fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree. I just want to keep my options open. I put in a lot of year on my job just don't want to f$$k them over. I save 3 week of vacation from last year so i have 7 week this year and some sick time. So hopefully I can get it all approve and still have a month to put in for a leave.
    Nothing wrong with keeping options open, provided you have time in the bank to do so like you say you have. Just know you could get a call the night before a class starts telling you to report the next morning. Are you going to turn it down because you haven't given notice?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would never turn down becoming a fireman if i could not give notice to my job. At least now I have a ideal of how the process work so i can inform my current job. Am trying to work part time at my current job after the academy.
    Do what you will. But I'm telling you right now there's no way you're going to be able to work a two month advance notice based on the 1.5 mile run. You'll be lucky if you get a week. If you keeping that job part time is based on that, put it out of your head now because it's not going to happen.

Forum Member

I'm gonna approach my job soon about the up coming job, just to give them a heads up. Just in case I get called.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I'm gonna approach my job soon about the up coming job, just to give them a heads up. Just in case I get called.....
    That's a good idea. But I can tell you from experience that it may not matter. I was able to give my boss 6 days notice. Know what he said? "Don't screw up, because you're not coming back here without a full two weeks notice". Now, my old boss was an unbelievable jerk, so most people won't hear that when they give notice. My point is this: if you're trying to work it so you can go back to your old job if you can't get through the academy your approach to this job is all wrong. Make it so there's NO DOUBT you'll get through and you won't need to worry about a fall back. The only option you should be giving yourself is getting through the academy.
    ffbam24 and chadxmerch like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    That's a good idea. But I can tell you from experience that it may not matter. I was able to give my boss 6 days notice. Know what he said? "Don't screw up, because you're not coming back here without a full two weeks notice". Now, my old boss was an unbelievable jerk, so most people won't hear that when they give notice. My point is this: if you're trying to work it so you can go back to your old job if you can't get through the academy your approach to this job is all wrong. Make it so there's NO DOUBT you'll get through and you won't need to worry about a fall back. The only option you should be giving yourself is getting through the academy.
    Yeah, seriously. I think the reason a bunch of people quit this class in the beginning was that the promotional process had made it relatively easy for them to make into the class. The fact that if you changed your mind or something happened you could head right back to EMS made it easy to say "why not, let me give it a shot." And then a bunch of people got a cold, hard dose of reality in week 1 and back to EMS they went.

You really shouldn't approach this with any concern/worry about how your current job will handle it. It's also very presumptuous to already be planning your side job prospects.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I have heard of people getting fired for telling jobs things like this. In the current economic climate, I would keep it to myself depending on what kind of job you have.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-05-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I have heard of people getting fired for telling jobs things like this. In the current economic climate, I would keep it to myself depending on what kind of job you have.
    I would approach my union president first before i aprroach HR.

Forum Member

It's so unreal to me that people can quit, it shows that they have no heart.

Forum Member

It is always good to prepare for the worst and have more than one option. I understand where Teufelhunden is coming from in regards to having the mind frame that the academy (FDNY) should be the only focus, but life is unpredictable. It is great to be ahead of the game in regards to planning what you guys want to do after you get hired. As we can see, some believe once you get hired, for the next 2-4 years should be dedicated to the job which would allow you to learn as much as you can to be a productive firefighter. But, I believe such accomplishments can be met while pursuing other options outside of the job. You guys current job is so vital right now because it is your bread and butter, so I suggest you guys plan accordingly. If push comes to shove that the FDNY spontaneously call you, than do what you have to do to get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    It's so unreal to me that people can quit, it shows that they have no heart.
    I wouldn't say they don't have heart, I believe it was just an unexpected life experiences/situation they encountered.

Forum Member

I know I have some time to wait but keeping my hopes up and staying in shape. Anybody with a list # in the 3#00 range message me. I would like to be in contact with someone close to my list # thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    It is always good to prepare for the worst and have more than one option. I understand where Teufelhunden is coming from in regards to having the mind frame that the academy (FDNY) should be the only focus, but life is unpredictable. It is great to be ahead of the game in regards to planning what you guys want to do after you get hired. As we can see, some believe once you get hired, for the next 2-4 years should be dedicated to the job which would allow you to learn as much as you can to be a productive firefighter. But, I believe such accomplishments can be met while pursuing other options outside of the job. You guys current job is so vital right now because it is your bread and butter, so I suggest you guys plan accordingly. If push comes to shove that the FDNY spontaneously call you, than do what you have to do to get hired.
    Yeah, think of it this way: if you don't make the grade like our PH friend here, your second option is to file a lawsuit claiming you didn't make it on because of your skin color. You're the last person on here who should be talking about what you can accomplish through hard work or dedication.

Guys, please don't pay attention to this clown. Your ONLY focus for the next few years should be firefighting. Your life, and the lives of the men who you'll be on the job with DEPEND on it. Worry about a side job after some time has gone by.

Remember, any advice that comes from this guy comes from a guy who FAILED to make the grade on the test and had to sue his way on before you put any worth into what he says. He knows jack about what it takes to get on this job, and even less about what it takes to be good at it.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and SouthBK84 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't say they don't have heart, I believe it was just an unexpected life experiences/situation they encountered.
    They don't have heart; and we don't want them. Or you.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

What happens now for you guys who are finishing up? You have graduation later in the week and then get assigned or do you get assigned before?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, think of it this way: if you don't make the grade like our PH friend here, your second option is to file a lawsuit claiming you didn't make it on because of your skin color. You're the last person on here who should be talking about what you can accomplish through hard work or dedication.

Guys, please don't pay attention to this clown. Your ONLY focus for the next few years should be firefighting. Your life, and the lives of the men who you'll be on the job with DEPEND on it. Worry about a side job after some time has gone by.

Remember, any advice that comes from this guy comes from a guy who FAILED to make the grade on the test and had to sue his way on before you put any worth into what he says. He knows jack about what it takes to get on this job, and even less about what it takes to be good at it.
    And then, once that's all said and done; he can dole out all of his knowledge and experience about honor and commitment to all of you and then us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARMYVET211 View Post
    I know I have some time to wait but keeping my hopes up and staying in shape. Anybody with a list # in the 3#00 range message me. I would like to be in contact with someone close to my list # thanks.
    Bro.. Fellow army vet here.. I'm in the low 4000s... Don't know where you sit.. If your high 3000s I'd assume we'd be close.. But if you're low 3000s probably not. Don't know how to messege with my iPhone so I figure id reach out to you here at least..

MembersZone Subscriber

You are right I always prepare for the what if... I can be call for the academy today and they can cancel it tomorrow. I have a family to look out for. But on a better note i talk to my boss and they will allow me to take 5 weeks vacation and then put in for a leave. My boss is also willing to work out a part time schedule base on the days I work at the firehouse. So it all works out. I was also told that i will have to use all vacation and sick time before a leave is approved. 7 week vacation 286 hour of sick...
    You are of course right to make sure your family eats, and no one would begrudge you for it. If you can work all this the right way, do so. But not only is it unadvisable to have a second job right after proby school, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed at all while you're on your probation. Point is, this isn't just a job; it's a way of life. It has to be so because it can get you killed if you treat it as just a means to make money.
    ffbam24 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

Forum Member

You are right I always prepare for the what if... I can be call for the academy today and they can cancel it tomorrow. I have a family to look out for. But on a better note i talk to my boss and they will allow me to take 5 weeks vacation and then put in for a leave. My boss is also willing to work out a part time schedule base on the days I work at the firehouse. So it all works out. I was also told that i will have to use all vacation and sick time before a leave is approved. 7 week vacation 286 hour of sick...
    You definitely planned accordingly, and have a great boss who is willing to work with you. Question, do you mean while on leave the first thing that has to be used is your vacation and sick time? When I was working for the city and went on leave, my vacation, sick and comp time was used. Once my time was used up, I pretty much was on leave without pay but had a job to come back too! It will definitely be a blessing to have two incomes coming in. Good luck.

Forum Member

You are of course right to make sure your family eats, and no one would begrudge you for it. If you can work all this the right way, do so. But not only is it unadvisable to have a second job right after proby school, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed at all while you're on your probation. Point is, this isn't just a job; it's a way of life. It has to be so because it can get you killed if you treat it as just a means to make money.
    More than likely the second job will be the main purpose of making money and the FDNY job will be considered his career job (way of life) that is taking more serious based on what you just said. I wasnt aware that a second job is not an option while on probation based on FDNY policy. I believe it is more of a recommendation not to have a second job while in proby school.

Forum Member

You are correct once I use up my vaction and sick time my leave will kick in with out pay. Having two incomes is definitely a blessing. Just closed on my first house 4 months ago so any extra income will help.
    Have you pass your cpat already?
    Yes, I passed my CPAT was 4/27. Congratulation on the closing of your first house.

MembersZone Subscriber

More than likely the second job will be the main purpose of making money and the FDNY job will be considered his career job (way of life) that is taking more serious based on what you just said. I wasnt aware that a second job is not an option while on probation based on FDNY policy. I believe it is more of a recommendation not to have a second job while in proby school.
    You weren't aware that you had to pass the test to get on, either. But just for kicks, I'll straighten you out. You are not permitted to work what is called "extra departmental employment" or EDE while on probation. When you finish probation (or, in your case, IF you finish) you then must submit a request to do so. I suppose you could submit it while a probie, but nobody's going to approve it.

Do us all a favor and stop talking to the guys who earned their spot like you belong. You're passing bad info, and you have about as much clue about what goes on with the job as a five year old.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Thread Information