Like Tree9882Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    I would love to cut the weight like that but i have to make sure that i dont gain it back when i go to weigh in the next day . If anyone knows how to cut out water weight by all means share.
    Couple tricks that i know of from my wrestling days. If you're hungry drink 64 oz of water before you eat. Make yourself a garbage bag sweatsuit using duct tape to seal off at the wrists and go for a long run. The day before you can even sweat out a good amount of weight by taking multiple super hot baths. I wouldn't recommend some of the other means people used ie tins of chew instead of food, diet pills, and laxatives. And obviously if you are getting light headed stop working out or get outta the tub.

You might be able to drop like 10 lbs very quickly with these methods but its not great for your body so be careful. Hopefully you don't have to actually do anything physical after your weigh in.
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    im going to do the blueprint excavation. 6 day plan and see where i am after 3 days if i meet the weight i will just go and weigh in that day .
    Yeah I was looking at the Blueprint as well, but it's a taddd pricey for my liking.

Forum Member

It's all about blending, bros. With more veggies than fruits. You want that fiber which juicing doesn't give you. And preferably with a vitamix or blendtec, which are both absurdly expensive.

Juicing is incredibly messy and annoying to clean up too...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    so you mean the timed trials at LIC? Then definitely sweat pants (you have to wear pants) and a tee shirt.
    If you wear your workout gear to the building, what do you need the combination lock for?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

OAK
    Forum Member

You can try Russian banya's/bathhouses. You can go in there and sweat your butt off. I'm pretty thin but I went in one day and lost at least 4 pounds. All you have to do is sit down and deal with the heat. Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    If you wear your workout gear to the building, what do you need the combination lock for?
    In case you have anything you want to lock up like keys, a phone, wallet, whatever else you may have that you don't want to drop while doing the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    In case you have anything you want to lock up like keys, a phone, wallet, whatever else you may have that you don't want to drop while doing the test.
    Oh ok..I was thinking they wanted you to report in business attire and change out.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    It's all about blending, bros. With more veggies than fruits. You want that fiber which juicing doesn't give you. And preferably with a vitamix or blendtec, which are both absurdly expensive.

Juicing is incredibly messy and annoying to clean up too...
    Assume you mean just throwing in veggies into a blender? Sorry I'm just joining this world of juices and crap

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Assume you mean just throwing in veggies into a blender? Sorry I'm just joining this world of juices and crap
    Yeah man. A bunch of greens like kale, spinach, cucumber, etc mixed with a fruit or two to make it taste somewhat ok. There are many "green smoothie" recipes online. And as high powered blender as you can get, not just like a $50 one from target. You need to "smoothie" that ish as much as possible to make it drinkable, and those cheaper ones are cheap for a reason.

Ya know, IMO...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Restairs

So I had my medical and I have to go re-take the stairs. Just wondering if when you go back if you redo all parts of the medical(blood,EKG, vitals, urine etc.) Trying to know what to expect so I am not as overwhelmed. Getting on those stairs everyday though preparing for those 8 minutes!

Forum Member

As far as weight cutting goes, I would highly advise against using any sort of plastic bags or plastic suits in combination with sauna's or hot baths, it just isn't smart. Wrestlers at all levels have died using such techniques and it is very harsh on your body.

If you only have 3-4 pounds to go, the best approach, I think, if to get in a good workout the night before you need to weigh in. Wear a single layer of sweats. Run on the treadmill, use the stepmill or whatever you prefer. Even mix in some push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, mountain climbers, etc. Once you have good sweat going or if your sweats start to wet through, check your weight. If you need to keep going change into shorts and a t-shirt and train a bit more. Also, eat a meal before you workout. My go to was grilled chicken and steamed vegetables. The next day, if you can go early to weigh in, do it. Don't eat until after you've done so.

At night, it's possible that you'll 'drift' weight. For some it's more than others, I lose between 2-3 pounds just sleeping. So, if you go to bed at the weight you need to be at, you should be at least a bit under in the morning.

This isn't something for constant use. You want to get as close to the weight required and set up good eating and training habits to help you maintain that. Find something sustainable, that works for you.
    Last edited by Minerva; 05-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iwantthisjob View Post
    So I had my medical and I have to go re-take the stairs. Just wondering if when you go back if you redo all parts of the medical(blood,EKG, vitals, urine etc.) Trying to know what to expect so I am not as overwhelmed. Getting on those stairs everyday though preparing for those 8 minutes!
    You just go in and do the stairs.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

youll just have to retake the stairs in the same sequence you did it the first time. If your heart rate isnt where its supposed to be at by the 5 min mark they will tell you to keep going for 8 . Train every other day and do more weight and more time and at a faster steprate then what they say . Because IMO that stepmill is faster than 60 steps per minute.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

It says to bring a lock, but you don't have to. You put your stuff in a locker and he writes the locker number and you name. They watch the lockers for you.

Forum Member

Oh ok..I was thinking they wanted you to report in business attire and change out.
    You're overthinking it. If you're going for your official CPAT attempts just show up in your athletic gear. Must wear pants. Bring money order.

At the end of the academy you have to do the CPAT again (it's a state requirement). I don't think my time improved at all, but god the test feels so easy now. I'd happily do it 2 or 3 times in a row instead of FST.

Forum Member

So when does the second class officially go in? Are all these people still testing for that class?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So when does the second class officially go in? Are all these people still testing for that class?
    The official/unofficial rumor is July 29. Still plenty of time for testing. They don't have to offer the run till early/mid July.

Forum Member

Fellas---new to posting on here. I've been following the thread for a bit and I'd like to say congrats to all you guys about to get on. I'm on the OC list sitting around 8700. For you guys OTJ and anyone else who has an idea, what list number do you expect them to get to? In other words, do I have a chance? I know it's a few years away IF there is a chance.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Here's the rumor mill. Now, this is a rumor mill that was started by a chief with 3 stars on his collar, so take it for what it's worth. The next class will begin in the last week of July. There are 150 eligible candidates from EMS. Despite the 3:2 court order, the rest of the class will be comprised of quota hires. Right now, 60 people have passed medicals from the judges list. They will not start hiring off of the OC because they don't want the clock to start when they won't be hiring many off the list.

Like I said, rumors.....we shall see.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 05-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYoneday View Post
    Fellas---new to posting on here. I've been following the thread for a bit and I'd like to say congrats to all you guys about to get on. I'm on the OC list sitting around 8700. For you guys OTJ and anyone else who has an idea, what list number do you expect them to get to? In other words, do I have a chance? I know it's a few years away IF there is a chance.....
    It's really too hard to say at this point. The Department/DCAS projected potentially getting up to your range, however there won't be a clear idea until the first full OC class goes in and we get an idea of how many candidates they process to fill 320 seats.

FDsouthbxNY's rumor is the one that makes the most sense to me. I know it'll suck for the top 100, but no sense in getting the ball rolling with #2000 if they're only going to take ~50 from the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Here's the rumor mill. Now, this is a rumor mill that was started by a chief with 3 stars on his collar, so take it for what it's worth. The next class will begin in the last week of July. There are 150 eligible candidates from EMS. Despite the 3:2 court order, the rest of the class will be comprised of quota hires. Right now, 60 people have passed medicals from the judges list. They will not start hiring off of the OC because they don't want the clock to start when they won't be hiring many off the list.

I know I'm not the only person here whose blood pressure rises when he sees the terms "quota hires" or "judge's list".....Congrats for the 60 who passed their medicals. I wonder if I can retake my SATs 10 yrs later and see if Harvard will let me in this time around.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

I can see this rumor being true, but that would make for a really small July class, right? They couldn't be starting with more than about 200 people.

Forum Member

Man, I really hope this isn't true. Its already 193 days between academy class start dates (if I remember and am adding right, Jan 17th to July 29th). To think that they would clear a class of maybe less than 200 guys and then wait another 193 days to put another in would seem like a waste of resources. Obviously for my own selfish reasons if the OC list was not touched this summer I have a much worse chance of the winter class and then I can look forward to waiting another 193 days.

To quote Danny Glover, "I'm too old for this ^%$#."
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

been hearing the same thing from multiple people OTJ

Forum Member

I don't think they are saying the class will only be made up of 200 people, nor do I think they would put in a class of just 200 people.

Thread Information