Like Tree11238Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So i guess this is good news for those who are willing to train. We are talking about the Open Competitive Candidates, correct?
    No, i think it's people on all list who are failing judging by some post that are here. Not because of the shape they are in, but for reasons like heart rate, and medical conditions.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 05-14-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So i guess this is good news for those who are willing to train. We are talking about the Open Competitive Candidates, correct?
    So does this mean that we should expect more people on the OC list to be scheduled for their medical?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    So does this mean that we should expect more people on the OC list to be scheduled for their medical?
    I doubt it. When I was at the rock for CPAT orientation which was the end of Feb they told us the class was most likely starting 7/29 so I'd bet they figured they'd have to process more guys than normal a while ago, and this isn't something new that means they need to go deeper on OC now.

Of course it would be great if I'm wrong though.

Forum Member

Se rumors flew around with the last class. "everyone is failing the medical. These EMS guys aren't passing. The class is getting pushed back....etc etc"
    Everyone went back 2nd time around, passed, class went in right on schedule. Like clockwork. The city is hurting so hard for FFers they aren't waiting any longer than July 29th to get the next class in. My investigator called me back about 2 weeks ago after I left him a message to touch base, it was 8:30 at night and he was at his desk at Metrowreck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Se rumors flew around with the last class. "everyone is failing the medical. These EMS guys aren't passing. The class is getting pushed back....etc etc"
    Everyone went back 2nd time around, passed, class went in right on schedule. Like clockwork. The city is hurting so hard for FFers they aren't waiting any longer than July 29th to get the next class in. My investigator called me back about 2 weeks ago after I left him a message to touch base, it was 8:30 at night and he was at his desk at Metrowreck.

No, no...we're talking about why the class IS starting on July 29th (and not earlier), not the possibility of it starting after the 29th.

Forum Member

I posted here before under the username FDNY2000 but had a minor SNAFU with Firehouse and created a new username.

I have a question for the OTJ guys, specifically FDsouthbxNY. I spoke with my brother last night, 1st Battalion, and he informed me that the rumor circulating amongst the job is that there could be upwards of 600 guys retiring by years end. Can you confirm/deny this?
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

HopefulFF wheeeewwfa. My bad. Lol. Sorry, not on here everyday. I thought you guys might have been hearing something else.
    Yea, it is some lag time. Its the City of New York. Get used to it. Whatever enjoy the first few weeks of summer. Workout a lot. Have a couple beers on the beach on the weekends and then it'll be game time.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

As per the Merit Matters Facebook page - "The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals has agreed with the position of Merit Matters and the CIty of New York and has Vacated the summary judgment decision finding Disparate Impact and has sent the case back to Federal Court for a trial in front of a NEW judge!!!!!!!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    As per the Merit Matters Facebook page - "The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals has agreed with the position of Merit Matters and the CIty of New York and has Vacated the summary judgment decision finding Disparate Impact and has sent the case back to Federal Court for a trial in front of a NEW judge!!!!!!!"
    Holy &^%$! Awesome! This is the best news in years! Justice!
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

but what does this mean? Is EVERYTHING on the table to be over turned? Will priority hires still be processed?

Forum Member

Technical it could lead to no PHs and even the possibility of this newest being thrown out.

Forum Member

And it seems like merit matters is pushing for both

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Holy &^%$! Awesome! This is the best news in years! Justice!
    Yeah but I'm still enraged at the fact an ******* judge stopped all of us from getting hired 5 yrs ago!

Forum Member

How will this impact the upcoming class?

Forum Member

Hard work and perseverance by Merit Matters, specifically deputy Chief Paul Mannix and the executive board, has paid off and justice has been done.....for now. We will see what this brings. However, with special thanks to The law firm of Sullivan and Gallishaw, we can assume that a new and hopefully right minded judge will review the case and side with Merit. This is a win for everyone who supports the protection of hiring standards and for the safety of the citizens of New York City.

Just an FYI, the current test was not challenged in court. I don't know why the job would stop hiring from it. They want to hire, so I don't know why they'd stop. All the city is concerned about is having to pay damages and back salary.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 05-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Forum Member

Wow, Huge news .. People at work think im nuts so pumped right now ... Hopefully full steam ahead for the OC guys
    Exam# 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah but I'm still enraged at the fact an ******* judge stopped all of us from getting hired 5 yrs ago!
    Tell me about it, 5 years in friggin limbo. Thanks a lot Garaufis for screwing thousands over for nothing. I hope this effects his career as much as i assume it will. He spent a lot of energy making this case as publicized as possible.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthBK84 View Post
    Wow, Huge news .. People at work think im nuts so pumped right now ... Hopefully full steam ahead for the OC guys
    Haha, I hear ya. I literally just took a walk around the block so i wouldn't blow my cover haha.
    vekdoggs75 and SouthBK84 like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Here's the official order from the second circuit court released today. I'm still reading through it.

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decision...a391/1/hilite/
    HopefulFF and DannyD0pe like this.
    List # 12XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Thing is: The PH's were not appealed by the city. That's the poison pill we still have to swallow.
    Unless by some miracle, there is an injunction that prevents that part of his ruling from standing as well.

Still, the rest is a BIG win.
    Merit DOES matter.
    vekdoggs75 and BrooklynBorn like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now let's have detailed expense reports and repayment from his so-called "moderator"/buddy.
    And a summary forced retirement for Nick.

Forum Member

What does this decision mean for List 6019?

If the Judge that ruled 6019 discriminatory has been overruled, could they re-instate that list?

And if not, do the 6019 Candidates who had a reasonable expectation of being hired off of that List have any legal recourse?

Forum Member

what does this mean for oc candidates currently being processed from exam 2000?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Here's the official order from the second circuit court released today. I'm still reading through it.

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decision...a391/1/hilite/
    Thanks, I'm halfway through....

Forum Member

"The appeals court did not reject the new policies but revised them."

http://online.wsj.com/article/APbcaa...7f167bb85.html

But the appellate panel — which delivered a split decision today, with one judge dissenting — will keep in place a court-ordered special monitor and an oversight regime that Garaufis put in place to ensure that discrimination is not occurring now within the fire department's ranks.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...=SFnewyorkpost
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 05-14-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Thread Information