Like Tree9544Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Got a call today to schedule a tutorial class but I'm too far from NYC to make it. My test date is March 21 so if your test date is around there, expect a call from a blocked number. Anyone who can go to these classes, please post any info you can on what they cover for those of us traveling a long distance just to take the test!

I'll be ordering the Don McNea prep package this weekend, I'll post a review of it on here after I get through it.

Forum Member

Fox 5 is about to air the story. (10:30pm)

Forum Member

I was on the news lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Got a call today to schedule a tutorial class but I'm too far from NYC to make it. My test date is March 21 so if your test date is around there, expect a call from a blocked number. Anyone who can go to these classes, please post any info you can on what they cover for those of us traveling a long distance just to take the test!

I'll be ordering the Don McNea prep package this weekend, I'll post a review of it on here after I get through it.
    You the man

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I was on the news lol
    Good job boys

Forum Member

It is hard for me to describe what I witnessed last night at M.S. 35. To say the Vulcans seemed confused and unorganized would be an understatement. It appeared to be over two dozen sheets at multiple locations with nothing but names and e-mail address on them. I was able to show them my printed confirmation “Thank you for signing up - we look forward to meeting you! Even if you decide to attend the tutorial at another location, that's ok. Just show up at any location on any day. See you soon. “Which allowed me to proceed to the next check point and another Vulcan member asked for my Name and for me to sign a sheet of paper. After doing this and him looking at their multiple sheets of paper they finally let me in. During this chaos I never remember actually seeing them signing people’s names off or highlighting members who showed up. At first they had let me in but didn’t give me their tutorial packet and was told I would have to wait and see if there are any left over, after I had told him I had already been processed he said I still needed to wait until everyone received their guide luckily a different Vulcan member felt guilty and handed me a homework packet.

This packet was produced by Don McNea Fire School (http://fireprep.com/la_county_exam_prep.html) it also has been suggested earlier in the forum that individuals check out his study guide since he puts LA County’s study material together which is also administered by PSI.
    After Captain Washington had introduced himself and what the Vulcan society stands for he started the class approximately 20 minutes late. While discussing portions of the test he encourage candidates to lie when it comes time to answer the background information portion and other parts of the test that ask for your stand point (strongly agree, disagree, strongly disagree).

Once back home I watched the video about Wednesday’s session and feel deeply sorry for the individuals that got turned away and for the gentlemen in the red Adidas hoodie that had to make a difficult decision if he should attend the session or not (I am not sure what he decided since the video cuts off).

As far as copying the material goes I will be contacting McNea today to make sure it is ok to reprint the packet but as far as the lesson plan A goes I will make a PDF copy of it once I receive my scanner from Amazon which should be around the 7th.

“Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away, and that in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Forum Member

great job, prospectff. Sounds like you handled yourself well.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree prospectff, thank you, and very nice job. My buddy and I waited two hours in Brooklyn yesterday to then be turned away and told they were out of handouts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post

I had a missed call from a blocked number on wednesday afternoon. I called DCAS and they knew nothing about a prep class. They gave me the 800 number to psi but the only thing they can help with was rescheduling a test date. You sure it was DCAS and if so do you have a contact of who you might have spoken with?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I had a missed call from a blocked number on wednesday afternoon. I called DCAS and they knew nothing about a prep class. They gave me the 800 number to psi but the only thing they can help with was rescheduling a test date. You sure it was DCAS and if so do you have a contact of who you might have spoken with?

I think FDNY does tutorials not DCAS, but to be sure call (718)999-FDNY
    Everyone I ever spoke to there has been very nice and informative.

Forum Member

I was told to give the Civil Rights Coalition a call and file a complaint. They already knew of the issue, but in order to make a formal complaint you had to go down and do it in person. Unfortunately, working M-F (they are only open during normal business hours) I can't get down there. If anyone is in the city, or has off next week and would like to, here is the info:

http://nycivilrights.org/cr-resources

Contact Ray Wayne at 212-306-7450

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    It is hard for me to describe what I witnessed last night at M.S. 35. To say the Vulcans seemed confused and unorganized would be an understatement. It appeared to be over two dozen sheets at multiple locations with nothing but names and e-mail address on them. I was able to show them my printed confirmation “Thank you for signing up - we look forward to meeting you! Even if you decide to attend the tutorial at another location, that's ok. Just show up at any location on any day. See you soon. “Which allowed me to proceed to the next check point and another Vulcan member asked for my Name and for me to sign a sheet of paper. After doing this and him looking at their multiple sheets of paper they finally let me in. During this chaos I never remember actually seeing them signing people’s names off or highlighting members who showed up. At first they had let me in but didn’t give me their tutorial packet and was told I would have to wait and see if there are any left over, after I had told him I had already been processed he said I still needed to wait until everyone received their guide luckily a different Vulcan member felt guilty and handed me a homework packet.

This packet was produced by Don McNea Fire School (http://fireprep.com/la_county_exam_prep.html) it also has been suggested earlier in the forum that individuals check out his study guide since he puts LA County’s study material together which is also administered by PSI.
    After Captain Washington had introduced himself and what the Vulcan society stands for he started the class approximately 20 minutes late. While discussing portions of the test he encourage candidates to lie when it comes time to answer the background information portion and other parts of the test that ask for your stand point (strongly agree, disagree, strongly disagree).

Once back home I watched the video about Wednesday’s session and feel deeply sorry for the individuals that got turned away and for the gentlemen in the red Adidas hoodie that had to make a difficult decision if he should attend the session or not (I am not sure what he decided since the video cuts off).

As far as copying the material goes I will be contacting McNea today to make sure it is ok to reprint the packet but as far as the lesson plan A goes I will make a PDF copy of it once I receive my scanner from Amazon which should be around the 7th.

“Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away, and that in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

McNea makes it clear to say to not redistribute his material when you buy the packet... I would refrain from posting it on a public forum just to keep yourself out of trouble. I'm sure that is considered copyright infringement or something

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Opti2000 View Post
    I think FDNY does tutorials not DCAS, but to be sure call (718)999-FDNY
    Everyone I ever spoke to there has been very nice and informative.
    Thanks Opti. I gave them a call and the guy I spoke with was great. He took my number an said someone will call me back. Phone rang within 3 minutes.

Forum Member

The first time I called the guy was very nice but told me I had to wait by my phone for the call and there was nothing he could do. If I missed the call they would try another way to contact me and if I was still having trouble to drive over to headquarters and set up a time. He said that there was no way I could set it up with a person over the phone it had to be with the call center. Just called back and the girl that answered set me up with a prep course within 3 mins. Maybe they were told to help out as much as they could with a lot of people missing the calls. I'm just happy to get it settled so I'm not waiting by the phone for the next week.
    Last edited by irish2522; 03-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Forum Member

Anybody going to Staten Island for their course?
    Last edited by irish2522; 03-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    Anybody going to Staten Island for their course?
    Im going to staten island for the prep course next sat the 10th at 9:00 am at Mckee high school what about u?

Forum Member

Does anybody know if you can still change your test date I know you can start changing on the 28th but im not sure if thats still possible now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    McNea makes it clear to say to not redistribute his material when you buy the packet
    For whatever reason unlike the packet I have when I purchased from his website the Vulcan packet doesn't have copyright any where on it. I sent an e-mail but am still waiting for a reply.

Forum Member

Hopefully McNea will be gracious and allow our fellow board member who was able to get the Vulcan class packet to share it with us. I would be interested to see how close it is to the $50 package on his site. I'd imagine it is very similar and he won't want people copying it, and I can't say I would blame him.

I received 3 different phone calls over a 36 hour span from the "blocked" number to set up the tutorial. The first 2 times I wasn't able to answer it while working, but the 3rd time I got it and the woman was very courteous. So if you miss the first call, don't panic.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

All I could say is good luck everyone taking the test this month don't worry you guys will get 100 on this. I dont wish anyone bad luck or anything but You studied your a s s e s off! you deserve to pass and move on to the next phase of testing. Hope to see all of you at the academy someday when this is all over with. Stay focused and keep moving towards your goal. Once again good luck to all of you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Starting Monday they are going to start calling the people who take the test starting this month. You will be told when and where you are able to attend. I was at bk tonight, good thing they let everyone in first the invited and then everyone else and yes including white dudes they had the biggest smile on their faces. Pretty sure one of them might PDF the material on this website.

That person would be awesome.

Forum Member

Is anyone else attempting to hit the Brooklyn session tomorrow morning? Should be a nice waste of time again...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Is anyone else attempting to hit the Brooklyn session tomorrow morning? Should be a nice waste of time again...
    I'll be there again lol

Forum Member

Yeah I know you will buddy^^^

See ya there...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    For whatever reason unlike the packet I have when I purchased from his website the Vulcan packet doesn't have copyright any where on it. I sent an e-mail but am still waiting for a reply.
    Oh, I misunderstood. The Vulcan packet is produced by don McNea? I was talking about the McNea packet you can buy online, that one clearly says not to redistribute it. If the Vulcan packet says not to redistribute it and nobody told you you couldn't I figure you'd be in the clear, I'd talk to someone with a little more knowledge of copyright law first.

Thread Information