Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 1210 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451911415411041 ... LastLast
Like Tree9405Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

It's good to hear that they want to hire all the way to 2015. I personally don't think they will have the chance to throw away this test this time around. Regardless of racial quotas to much money was put up for this test and way to much has been spent on overtime. They are forced to hire this to time around. Atleast I hope they are.

P.s. for those that didn't believe me read the last paragraph and you will see that I was right about the retirement going up. It's all due to the ot everyone is taking advantage of over all these years.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member

Has anyone gotten an email from the vulcan society regarding the vulcan prep classes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Has anyone gotten an email from the vulcan society regarding the vulcan prep classes?

I know the Vulcans web site stated test exam prep classes started the week of February 6th but is there any proof they actually have had prep classes ? Has anyone been contacted by the Vulcans about test prep or actually attended a meeting or know someone that has ?

Forum Member

Vulcans have our email addresses?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Opti2000 View Post
    Maybe the candidates they recruited directly ? Has anyone contacted DCAS about the tutorial ? On the joinFDNY facebook and twitter pages, whenever asked about it, whoever runs the FB and twitter accounts says its in the hands of DCAS.

One thing I found funny was on the facebook page they usually answer every question pertaining to the exam. One person asked about the prep class and the rumors that the Vulcans were offering prep classes and that question wasn't answered.

Forum Member

Funny aka Realllllll Shady.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    P.s. for those that didn't believe me read the last paragraph and you will see that I was right about the retirement going up. It's all due to the ot everyone is taking advantage of over all these years.
    Are you retarded? Do you really believe what the NY Post prints? Its the most agenda-driven, wannabe-muckraking, biased, birdcage lining garbage around, and has been for quite some time.

The impact of sticking around for another year for OT rather than checking out right now is huge. Personal situations not withstanding, unless someones got a kic k a s s sidejob raking in cash, checking out right now isnt happening.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

I have been using LA County's Study guide (since the company that puts there test on are the same company doing the FDNY test)LA County Study Guide also I have been taking other departments tests as they open up, and finally ARCO's 16th Edition study guide. For me my weakness is grammar and when they give you a picture and your suppose to select how they feel!

If anyone needs it here is the Vulcan Society's e-mail address vulcansociety@aol.com send them an e-mail and ask them if you feel that you need to.
    Last edited by prospectff; 02-21-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Are you retarded? Do you really believe what the NY Post prints? Its the most agenda-driven, wannabe-muckraking, biased, birdcage lining garbage around, and has been for quite some time.

The impact of sticking around for another year for OT rather than checking out right now is huge. Personal situations not withstanding, unless someones got a kic k a s s sidejob raking in cash, checking out right now isnt happening.
    No matter what my or anyone else's opinion are its great to hear that they are hiring in huge numbers. We should be celebrating this fact. That means to me that a lot of people will have a shot this time around past and present. I know we should be more focused on the upcoming exam but what can we really study besides the tutorial and old books with reading comprehension questions on it. I just hope this judge doesn't have the balls to throw this test out again regardless of racial quotas. Don't you agree?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So has anyone heard anything about prep classes yet ? Or is everyone basically assuming they won't have any. Also if that's the case what are you guys studying from. I've been studying from this

http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Firefi...9841718&sr=8-4

As well as the exam that was published in the NYTIMES several years back and the study guide from a previous exam.

I know you basically just get familiar with the type of questions they ask but it would be nice to know if I'm studying the right type of questions. Especially the math part, is it just simple arithmetic like addition an subtraction or a little more advanced like adding/subtracting fractions and square roots.
    If you don't mind spending the money, Civil Service Success offers two session classes around New York. It's pricey, $359, and I know there is going to be a lot of people saying that the test is new and nobody knows what is on it but it's an option. Not the greatest, but an option.

If the Vulcans are offering a free study session, I'm curious if that extends to non-future Vulcans? Otherwise, given the current climate of things, I might just take offense to it. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So has anyone heard anything about prep classes yet ? Or is everyone basically assuming they won't have any. Also if that's the case what are you guys studying from. I've been studying from this

http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Firefi...9841718&sr=8-4

As well as the exam that was published in the NYTIMES several years back and the study guide from a previous exam.

I know you basically just get familiar with the type of questions they ask but it would be nice to know if I'm studying the right type of questions. Especially the math part, is it just simple arithmetic like addition an subtraction or a little more advanced like adding/subtracting fractions and square roots.
    Tom that's a good book to study from. I study from that book too the reading comp questions are a lot harder than the actual test the math portion can keep you sharp for the exam also study some percentage questions which are not on the book. I personally wouldn't focus on the memorization question because dcas is not going to include that on the exam. They made real clear on the dcas tutorial what's gonna be on the exam. I would also focus on sentence ordering question. By the way for the video portion what I do is find something on the tv/radio listen to it for a 1-3 minutes play it three times and take notes on what I watched/heard. It helps when you find the most boring thing to watch or listen. Trust me you will see an improvement on this portion of the test if you do this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    They made real clear on the dcas tutorial what's gonna be on the exam.
    did they really?

Forum Member

Just a quick update about the joinFDNY facebook page. They answered the guy that mentioned the Vulcans giving prep classes but they basically said they hadn't heard they were giving prep classes but they could contact the Vulcans to be sure.

Forum Member

People wonder why the City is so broke? Because dickwod judges like this guy just hand money out to undeserving people - http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...i5hS2kZ5zpYQ3O

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Opti2000 View Post
    They do. They emailed me about prep classes, but I've never had any type of contact with anyone in the Vulcan Society.

Forum Member

Heading up for the test next month and am looking for some advice or tips on places to see/visit/eat in the city...shoot me a PM if you don't mind.

Good luck to all taking the test!

Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-22-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member

Default Show up to these in full force. Firefighter Exam Tutorial Classes from the FDNY Vulca

Firefighter Exam Tutorial Classes from the FDNY Vulcan Society

Greetings firefighter candidate,

This message is from the Vulcan Society, the organization of NYC's Black firefighters. Founded in 1940, we have been involved in everything from desegregating firehouses in the 1940's and 50's, to helping establish the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters in 1970, to our recent efforts to help diversify the FDNY. Towards that end, we have for decades provided tutoring to Black candidates like yourself who are about to take the FDNY firefighter entrance exam. We will be providing tutoring for your upcoming exam as well.

Two separate lesson plans will be taught, and you will be given work to take home. Both lesson plans will cover all subjects you will see on your test. Your instructors will be Black FDNY fire officers and firefighters. The study material was prepared by professional fire test developers and experienced NYC firefighters.

We believe – as we have been told in the past – that our tutoring will be the best tutoring available at any cost! A one-time fee of $20 (just to cover our costs) allows you to attend as often as you like.

Class schedules and locations are as follows:

Brooklyn

M.S. 35
    272 MacDonough St.
    on the corner of Lewis Ave
    (A/C at Utica Ave)

Lesson Plan A
    Monday, February 27th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 3rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Monday, March 5th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 10th – 11:00 a.m.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym)
    240 E. 123rd St.
    near 2nd Avenue
    (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A
    Tuesday, February 28th – 7:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, February 29th – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Monday, March 5th – 7:00 p.m.
    Tuesday, March 6th – 7:00 p.m.

Queens

M.S. 72
    133-25 Guy R. Brewer Blvd
    Rochdale Village

Lesson Plan A
    Wednesday, February 29th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Tuesday, March 6th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.

Staten Island

I.S. 49
    101 Warren St.
    between Hill St. & Laurel Ave

Lesson Plan A
    Tuesday, February 28th – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Wednesday, March 7th – 7:00 p.m.

Because there will be so much competition for this great career, a very high score on the exam is a necessity. Give yourself a leg up by taking advantage of this opportunity.

Finally, please click here to let us know which tutorial you’d like to attend and give us your contact information so we can keep in touch with you about the hiring process. (Even if you don’t pick a tutorial session now, that’s ok - just show up at any tutoring site on any day.)

Thank you,

The Vulcan Society
    739 Eastern Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11213-3410

Forum Member

This could get awkward...

Thread Information