Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 410 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 310360400407408409410411412413420460510910 ... LastLast
Results 8,181 to 8,200 of 20346
Like Tree7726Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #8181
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    gtfo, is this true?

    There are very few who did pass,,,but the first wave that came in they all failed....mainly because of the heart rate


  2. #8182
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    MM what were you guys told if someone finishes the academy and still can't do the 4 pull ups?
    I have no idea what would happen to them.

  3. #8183
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    31

    Default

    MM at what pace do you guys/girls run at in the academy. Is it 8 minute miles, 8:30, 9:00. Just trying to emulate it. Thanks.

  4. #8184
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    MM at what pace do you guys/girls run at in the academy. Is it 8 minute miles, 8:30, 9:00. Just trying to emulate it. Thanks.
    Show up able to maintain 3 miles at an 8 minute pace and the running won't be much of a problem. But remember you MUST have upper body strength and endurance to get through this, so your training can't all be running. If you get to the Rock able to run 8 minute miles and do 10 or more pull ups, you should be ok. The PT is still a challenge, and FST is misery, but you'll be able to handle it.

    Look at the posts on here about guys down at medical failing and guys at the Rock right now with the chance of a lifetime screwing it up royally. DON'T BE THEM. Train now. If you aren't in great shape and physical fitness doesn't come easy for you (it doesn't for me), train hard NOW and avoid the problem altogether.

    And if any of you are inclined to think I'm talking down to you, this advice comes from a guy who laughed training off the first time I took the physical, failed it, and had to wait YEARS for another shot, almost outside of the age limit. Don't let it happen to you.

  5. #8185
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    I don't know the paces or distances. teufelhunden36 has good advice. I'm the same way, was never into sports or anything, had a lot of catching up to do to get ready for this. I wasn't as prepared as I had hoped to be, but I'm making it work. Preparedness in the running/cardio area in my book would be comfortably doing 5 miles in 8-9 minute/miles, obviously training for the 1.5 miler, and lots and lots of interval sprints.

    Remedial may be seen as a scarlet letter here, on the rant, or in the news, but it honestly is a great thing. Remember these guys passed all of the necessary prehire steps, which you guys may soon take and pass. Some of you might be surprised when you get there on baseline testing day and you flub and miss by a few pushups because their standard is higher than what you trained to. The remedial training is good though, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the guys in remedial end up being in better shape at the end of this thing than the people who didn't need it.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  6. #8186
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    dfsaaaaafdada
    Last edited by WNYFF14; 06-28-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    ATFDFF likes this.

  7. #8187
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNYFF14 View Post
    I agree if you really really really want to be a FDNY fireman you should have definitely put some work into preparing. But also you got to understand that life doesn't stop just because you're on the list. People have to go to work, eat, sleep, raise and protect their families, and whatever else they have going on. Some guys don't know if or when they will be called so they are going to school. Some guys are involved in volunteer companies trying to help their community. There is way to much involved in life, especially right now with the crappy economy, to assume some guy or gal that is struggling through the academy was just lazy. I do agree that you gotta work for hard something like this, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I myself got a 96 (no points). I have no clue if my number will ever get reached, so I have to continue with my life so if it doesn't I can still feed myself (and hopefully a family someday). Believe me, I'd rather spend my time in the gym everyday, that's just not possible for everyone. I guarantee I will be prepared though if the time ever comes.
    Believe me I understand having busy lives. I am currently a full time student, work between 30 and 40 hours a week, an active volunteer for the Red Cross and Make a Wish foundation, volunteer firefighter and EMT with 2 different departments, married and a father to 2 girls, one of which is recieving follow up treatment for leukemia. I still find time to work out 5-6 times a week. I'm not saying that its easy but it all depends how bad you want the job.

    I would rather put in the time and effort to be as prepared as I can be so that if the opportunity arises I will be as prepared as humanly possible.

    The sacrifices you make now will pay of in the long run. What's the worst that could happen, you don't get called and your in the best shape of your life.

    I also understand that everyone's situation is different but everyone should have 15-20 minutes a day to workout a lil. Even if its just running through your neighborhood.

    I'm sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention. I just get frustrated listening to people in general say they don't have time to exercise. Stop watching TV and go for a walk or run.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  8. #8188
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNYFF14 View Post
    I agree if you really really really want to be a FDNY fireman you should have definitely put some work into preparing. But also you got to understand that life doesn't stop just because you're on the list. People have to go to work, eat, sleep, raise and protect their families, and whatever else they have going on. Some guys don't know if or when they will be called so they are going to school. Some guys are involved in volunteer companies trying to help their community. There is way to much involved in life, especially right now with the crappy economy, to assume some guy or gal that is struggling through the academy was just lazy. I do agree that you gotta work for hard something like this, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I myself got a 96 (no points). I have no clue if my number will ever get reached, so I have to continue with my life so if it doesn't I can still feed myself (and hopefully a family someday). Believe me, I'd rather spend my time in the gym everyday, that's just not possible for everyone. I guarantee I will be prepared though if the time ever comes.
    Dude, you're offering up excuses like none of us never had a life before this job.

    Sure a lot of guys here have only lived in their parents' basement up until now. But try not to make it sound like you're the first that had to juggle everything while preparing for what is still the best job in the world.

    Re the article, it paints the whole class in a bad light, and we know it's not. However, the dubious distinction that seems to have befallen them isn't sitting well with us.

  9. #8189
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    This is getting interesting.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  10. #8190
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Re the article, it paints the whole class in a bad light, and we know it's not. However, the dubious distinction that seems to have befallen them isn't sitting well with us.
    Not sitting well at all. This is an avoidable problem if you take 6 hours a week and train. Everyone has stuff going on; it's a sorry excuse for anyone to say there's no time to do PT. Those who really want the job find it; those who are only talking like they want the job don't. Reality hits hard on this job.

  11. #8191
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Does any of this mean that the list is moving faster than anticipated? are they almost totally out of EMS?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  12. #8192
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Does any of this mean that the list is moving faster than anticipated? are they almost totally out of EMS?
    Listen, I know the waiting game is a b*tch but there's no way to know what's going to happen with the list because of this. Theoretically, yes, the further down the list they have to go to get classes together will speed the list up. But some of these guys may be recycling. Your best bet is to train hard and enjoy your life while you wait. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years for you with a list number in the 6000s so in the meantime just relax.

  13. #8193
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Look, I read that article this morning. The Post IS NOT A NEWSPAPER. That was a bull**** story with very little hard fact. That said, the performance of this class is certainly substandard and that should serve as a warning to those of you coming in.

    As for your physical abilities at the end, you don't pass, you don't go to a firehouse. They might keep you at the rock for a few weeks, extend your probation for as long as it takes, ect. Do you REALLY want to be the last proby to be assigned to a company......you'll have a black mark on your career from day one.


    EVERYONE who'll be joining our ranks in the next few years is going to be under a lot of scrutiny from those of us in the firehouse. Don't start off on the wrong foot.

  14. #8194
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Hey manhattan medic

    At any point in the academy so far have you been asked/expected to just hang from anything with just one hand for any reason? Random question I know haha
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

  15. #8195
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Hey manhattan medic

    At any point in the academy so far have you been asked/expected to just hang from anything with just one hand for any reason? Random question I know haha
    I don't know myself, but it can happen on the job I suppose. LOL

  16. #8196
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Hey manhattan medic

    At any point in the academy so far have you been asked/expected to just hang from anything with just one hand for any reason? Random question I know haha
    No. Not at all.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  17. #8197
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Listen, I know the waiting game is a b*tch but there's no way to know what's going to happen with the list because of this. Theoretically, yes, the further down the list they have to go to get classes together will speed the list up. But some of these guys may be recycling. Your best bet is to train hard and enjoy your life while you wait. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years for you with a list number in the 6000s so in the meantime just relax.
    Thanks man.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  18. #8198
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thanks man.

    No problem. You'll get your chance before you know it. Just make sure you're ready and you'll be fine.

  19. #8199
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Anyone know if at the investigation they gave you problems about any of your social networking accounts? For example, a buddy of mine just went for PD investigations and they asked him to log into his facebook. I have absolutely nothing to hide I'm just curious how fire handles it. Anyone who went to the investigation know?

  20. #8200
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Anyone know if at the investigation they gave you problems about any of your social networking accounts? For example, a buddy of mine just went for PD investigations and they asked him to log into his facebook. I have absolutely nothing to hide I'm just curious how fire handles it. Anyone who went to the investigation know?
    Reason number 7 why I don't have a Facebook, twitter or social media account lol
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 61 users browsing this thread. (14 members and 47 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. bk60191983,
  3. brian_patrick,
  4. BrooklynBravest,
  5. dem7191,
  6. GIMMEFIRE600,
  7. Manhattan Medic,
  8. Matador611,
  9. miller2000,
  10. Mo2012,
  11. MuscleHamster,
  12. Smoove,
  13. test2000,
  14. TheBrooklynKid

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts