Like Tree9539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #10251
    Forum Member
    FDNYGUY28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Post a pic, we want to see how clean it is.

    How much do you have to weigh at what height if you don't mind me asking. I am on the shorter side so wondering how much I have to weigh.
    depends on your height and age

  2. #10252
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    SUPER COLON CLEANSE from GNC
    the reviews on amazon make this sound....painful, lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    How long is that? I tried fruit/veggie juicing this week, but I'm dead tired after a work day. Mind you sit on my *** and stare at a computer so I really shouldn't be this beat.

    I threw in 1 or 2 of the juices from the blueprint cleanse in to my meals for this week, I can't/don't want to do a strictly juicing diet. They're not too tough to make yourself and actually taste pretty good, at least the pineapple/apple/mint one does.

  3. #10253
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Which borough are you hoping to end up in?
    Not Staten Island.
    mocon337 likes this.

  4. #10254
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Not Staten Island.
    thanks bro lol...what's the word there, you guys hearing people from SI can't get off this island too?

  5. #10255
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    thanks bro lol...what's the word there, you guys hearing people from SI can't get off this island too?
    Honestly not meant to be a slight against SI or its firehouses, it's just incredibly far away and involves a toll. Everybody from SI wants off, but I imagine some of them will get sent there.
    HopefulFF likes this.

  6. #10256
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Honestly not meant to be a slight against SI or its firehouses, it's just incredibly far away and involves a toll. Everybody from SI wants off, but I imagine some of them will get sent there.
    ..........$15 smh

  7. #10257
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Honestly not meant to be a slight against SI or its firehouses, it's just incredibly far away and involves a toll. Everybody from SI wants off, but I imagine some of them will get sent there.
    Most guys who work on SI also live here so while everyone wants to go to more fires, that toll is enough to keep guys here. But you guys coming out should just be happy to be assigned wherever you end up. EVERY house on this job goes to fires and there's a few companies killing it, but for the most part fire duty is down. Just be happy that you're on. You can always make a move after some time has gone by. Congrats and good luck.

  8. #10258
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Honestly not meant to be a slight against SI or its firehouses, it's just incredibly far away and involves a toll. Everybody from SI wants off, but I imagine some of them will get sent there.
    Ouch lol kinda expected that. Curious to see how many get sent here though

  9. #10259
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    No, MM is RIGHT, and you're actually wrong, the problem is that you do not know why you're wrong, but that's no fault of your own because the facts are confusing.
    No, YOU and MM are 100% off the mark on this. There's nothing to understand: the very idea of disparate impact is a fallacy. The job goes to the best man. Period, end of story. If minority communities feel underrepresented, I suggest a move from children being out at 3 am, gangster wannabe BS and prescribe some sorely needed discipline from parents who seem to be absent. How is it fair or just that a guy who studies and gets a great mark DOES NOT get hired because someone who didn't was raised in a minority community? How does anyone control where and how anyone else is raised? And why should that person who does what he's supposed to do be penalized for it? It's nonsense, and like I've been saying, the city allowed it because Bloomy and Co. are afraid of being tagged racists.

    If you need to be dragged out of bed and force fed this job, you plain old don't deserve it. PLENTY of guys on this job were raised in the projects or by absentee parents; to say that a host of people should be handed the job because they happen to come from an underprivileged are is asinine and dangerous. Disparate impact is a bunch of BS, and it should be fought on every front. Bloomy just doesn't have what it takes and don't forget, the lefties need those minority votes. Don't think for a second you have the right idea on this.

  10. #10260
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Hey.. Random question.. Thinking about making a trip into the city for my birthday in a few weeks. I was looking to stop at a few FHs grab some tshirts and take some pics.. Just wondering if anyone knew some places that had a decent place to park..in a not bad part of town since my wife will probably be with me..

    And does capt Morris still work at Rescue 1.. And LT McCormack at ladder 28?

  11. #10261
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey.. Random question.. Thinking about making a trip into the city for my birthday in a few weeks. I was looking to stop at a few FHs grab some tshirts and take some pics.. Just wondering if anyone knew some places that had a decent place to park..in a not bad part of town since my wife will probably be with me..

    And does capt Morris still work at Rescue 1.. And LT McCormack at ladder 28?
    FDNY museum

  12. #10262
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey.. Random question.. Thinking about making a trip into the city for my birthday in a few weeks. I was looking to stop at a few FHs grab some tshirts and take some pics.. Just wondering if anyone knew some places that had a decent place to park..in a not bad part of town since my wife will probably be with me..

    And does capt Morris still work at Rescue 1.. And LT McCormack at ladder 28?
    Well since I'm assuming you will be in Manhattan below 96th Street you should know there is no "bad part of town". As far as decent place to park.. tough to say. You might have an easier time driving into NJ and parking near a PATH station and taking the train in. If you are willing to pay for a garage then you can park anywhere, but that obviously adds up.

    Far as I'm aware Captain Morris is still @ Rescue 1.

    The Fire Museum is cool (and also pretty close to a PATH Station!), and worth a trip if you haven't been. If you come to the city between May 24-31 then definitely go to the museum to check out: https://www.facebook.com/events/163682870465310/
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 05-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.

  13. #10263
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by getting ready View Post
    I am not taking any. I can tell that it is starting to run a bit high these days, specifically the systolic. It is a genetic thing as my folks have it, and I am in sick shape otherwise. Particularly when I am in a medical setting, it runs even higher. And I have a feeling that it would be a beta blocker if anything. Why would that be the one med that they would DQ you for as opposed to the others?

    In terms of them not screening for meds, I have read otherwise on here. And they could see that through your medical records anyway no?

    unfortunately I can't give you a definite answer on the beta blocker meds. I've heard they won't put you full duty on those meds, but I'm not 100% on that. They don't supeona your medical history. Did you give them copies of your complete medical history? How would they get that info? As far as screening for meds, I don't think they do. If they do then they are doing a really bad job of it cause they missed all mine. Good luck with the process man
    Last edited by Takethedoor174; 05-15-2013 at 09:54 PM.

  14. #10264
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Were the probies given house assignments today? Seen a couple of bald guys with FDNY costumes out and about.

  15. #10265
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Were the probies given house assignments today? Seen a couple of bald guys with FDNY costumes out and about.
    Negative sir. Tomorrow afternoon. At this rate they will probably be handed out when we're on the lines for the final roll call.

  16. #10266
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    No, YOU and MM are 100% off the mark on this. There's nothing to understand: the very idea of disparate impact is a fallacy. The job goes to the best man. Period, end of story. If minority communities feel underrepresented, I suggest a move from children being out at 3 am, gangster wannabe BS and prescribe some sorely needed discipline from parents who seem to be absent. How is it fair or just that a guy who studies and gets a great mark DOES NOT get hired because someone who didn't was raised in a minority community? How does anyone control where and how anyone else is raised? And why should that person who does what he's supposed to do be penalized for it? It's nonsense, and like I've been saying, the city allowed it because Bloomy and Co. are afraid of being tagged racists.

    If you need to be dragged out of bed and force fed this job, you plain old don't deserve it. PLENTY of guys on this job were raised in the projects or by absentee parents; to say that a host of people should be handed the job because they happen to come from an underprivileged are is asinine and dangerous. Disparate impact is a bunch of BS, and it should be fought on every front. Bloomy just doesn't have what it takes and don't forget, the lefties need those minority votes. Don't think for a second you have the right idea on this.
    Everything after your conclusion (your first sentence) is opinion and does not support your conclusion. Title VII has served to protect EVERY race at some point, including Europeans. Furthermore, disparate impact is an INCREDIBLY high standard to reach (see the SC's decision in Washington v. Davis).

    Tell me how I am "off the mark" with a clear and concise statement that isn't entirely opinion-based. "It's a fallacy" and "period, end of story" are empty assertions. Pro-tip: google image "the argument pyramid" for assistance

  17. #10267
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Any tips on the psych?
    Last edited by brk2012; 05-15-2013 at 11:03 PM.

  18. #10268
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    He's not incorrect, neither was I in my previous posting. Disparate impact is a theory, one open to much interpretation. It is for this very reason that title 7 should be challenged as often as possible. Title 7 only stands if the employer cannot prove the exam is job related or tests essential skills. It is the opinion of many attorneys that the city did an exceptionally poor job of proving previous exams to be job related. To quote more than one, "they dropped the ball".

    I DO know the facts and I understand them quite well. I have a bachelors degree in constitutional law, so thanks for correcting something that didn't need correcting. The exam results, as viewed by passing rates, are ratially unbalanced, thus the exams (being under the umbrella of hiring practices) had a disparate impact. We all get that. I'm suggesting that the whole clause is a load of crap. This whole suite is a load of crap. Disparate impact is a recipe for quotas in disguise, allowed under the guise of affirmative action. My assertion that race is less important than socio-economic factors is a perfectly valid arguement. What if one of the priority hires was deans list at Yale and just happened to show up hung over on test day because he didn't give a damn. Now he's getting a second shot, but no one looks at his life's story, they just focus on the color of his skin. That's the crux of the problem. All we do is place emphasis on skin color here when it shouldn't matter at all.


    Lastly, yes, we are all in agreement that intentionally disparate treatment is a terribly dangerous label and would have far reaching repercussions were it allowed to stand.
    Disparate impact is no more a "theory" than is the theory of gravity; companies have lost millions of dollars paying out lawsuits from disparate impact claims. A theory is a supposition or system of ideas intended to explain something; a disparate impact lawsuit is reality, not a theory. Since you have a BA in Constitutional Law then you should know that all law is open to interpretation, not just TitleVII. You are correct that the defendant must show a business-related necessity in order to shift the burden of rebuttal back to the plaintiff.

    Anyway, I respect (and value) your opinion on the matter at hand (i.e., U.S. v. City of N.Y.) but don't discredit a valid statute that has served every race, INCLUDING Europeans, at some point since its inception simply because this is the only context in which you've heard of it.

  19. #10269
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    Everything after your conclusion (your first sentence) is opinion and does not support your conclusion. Title VII has served to protect EVERY race at some point, including Europeans. Furthermore, disparate impact is an INCREDIBLY high standard to reach (see the SC's decision in Washington v. Davis).

    Tell me how I am "off the mark" with a clear and concise statement that isn't entirely opinion-based. "It's a fallacy" and "period, end of story" are empty assertions. Pro-tip: google image "the argument pyramid" for assistance
    Don't talk down to me, or anyone else on this job; you're a shavetail candidate who should be more concerned with your run time than this stuff. You can quote all the legalese you want; we spare that BS on our job. Just because a judge says it's right don't make it right. Disparate impact is a crock, and any fair minded individual who ain't afraid to tell it like it is will say so.

    Do us a favor and stick with NYPD; this job ain't for you. Point blank, this "statute" seeks to put unqualified people on our job at the expense of the public based on the color of a person's skin. NOTHING could possibly be more unfair or wrong headed. That you agree with it is proof positive that you belong in an administrative position at 1 Police Plaza, not a firehouse.

    Substance, character and tenacity matter on this job; you have none of that. Find a pencil to push and leave the job to the real firemen. And cops for that matter, because you ain't one of them, either.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 05-15-2013 at 11:28 PM.

  20. #10270
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Honestly not meant to be a slight against SI or its firehouses, it's just incredibly far away and involves a toll. Everybody from SI wants off, but I imagine some of them will get sent there.
    If you live in SI the odds are that you end up in a firehouse in SI, correct? But is there a slight chance that they can honor your request to another borough like Brooklyn or Manhattan since it's not to far from SI?

  21. #10271
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Were the probies given house assignments today? Seen a couple of bald guys with FDNY costumes out and about.
    If you are looking for some action or just a busy firehouse in general what borough or city should we look into? Thanks in advance

  22. #10272
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Negative sir. Tomorrow afternoon. At this rate they will probably be handed out when we're on the lines for the final roll call.
    It's a rough day, and I'm convinced they drag it out on purpose. But you'll walk out smiling. Quick tip: go right to your house with a cake and ring the bell. First guy that answers, salute him, say your name and report for duty. Do the same when he takes you in to see the officer. We know it's coming, but we'll be looking for it to see who's got the right idea. We WILL ask you to stay for dinner; the answer is YES. And if they give you liver and onions, eat it with a smile. Then run right to the sink. The rest you'll figure out.

    Show up in uniform ready to go, and we'll take care of you. It's a great day, so enjoy it. We'll see you tomorrow night.

  23. #10273
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    If you are looking for some action or just a busy firehouse in general what borough or city should we look into? Thanks in advance
    Don't worry about that yet. Like I said, EVERY house goes to fires. Brooklyn has EVERYTHING, from private dwellings to giant tenements to office buildings. You want to start there. But whatever house you go to is the best house in the city.

  24. #10274
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    Disparate impact is no more a "theory" than is the theory of gravity; companies have lost millions of dollars paying out lawsuits from disparate impact claims. A theory is a supposition or system of ideas intended to explain something; a disparate impact lawsuit is reality, not a theory. Since you have a BA in Constitutional Law then you should know that all law is open to interpretation, not just TitleVII. You are correct that the defendant must show a business-related necessity in order to shift the burden of rebuttal back to the plaintiff.

    Anyway, I respect (and value) your opinion on the matter at hand (i.e., U.S. v. City of N.Y.) but don't discredit a valid statute that has served every race, INCLUDING Europeans, at some point since its inception simply because this is the only context in which you've heard of it.
    Since you're obviouslyyyy such a intelligent fella, please tell me how Europeans have been served through this statute? As a son of an immigrant, I never once heard of this as a kid.

  25. #10275
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I am sure I'm not the only one excited for Manhattan Medic, and I mean it. You've been truly a big help here, and I wish you the best in your new home. You worked hard, and made time to answer questions we had. Stay safe, and GOOD LUCK!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 40 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 31 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 4040clubBouncer,
  3. bing043,
  4. k20dc2,
  5. New Flyer,
  6. pericnyc,
  7. SirEd,
  8. vekdoggs75

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register