Like Tree11339Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    Disparate impact is no more a "theory" than is the theory of gravity; companies have lost millions of dollars paying out lawsuits from disparate impact claims. A theory is a supposition or system of ideas intended to explain something; a disparate impact lawsuit is reality, not a theory. Since you have a BA in Constitutional Law then you should know that all law is open to interpretation, not just TitleVII. You are correct that the defendant must show a business-related necessity in order to shift the burden of rebuttal back to the plaintiff.

Anyway, I respect (and value) your opinion on the matter at hand (i.e., U.S. v. City of N.Y.) but don't discredit a valid statute that has served every race, INCLUDING Europeans, at some point since its inception simply because this is the only context in which you've heard of it.
    Wow didn't get that memo, all I got was IRish Need Not Apply. On top of the other departments you mentioned, you also forgot to equate that still the ones used have 25% more than the FDNY's 3% but in pure satistical analysis 25-30% more could be the entire department or a small sample base that say DCFD has 5% out of it's total number however 5% in a department with a thousand is a greater number even if the per capita is lower than 3% in a Department with 11,000 and as such the difference in statistics means DC has 25% more blacks than the FDNY without any calculation into the members into the department.
    vekdoggs75 and BrooklynBorn like this.

Forum Member

I should take the corrections test, fail, and then sue. That place is like 90% black, 5% Spanish, and then there's the two Asian guys. I think I've seen maybe one white guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I should take the corrections test, fail, and then sue. That place is like 90% black, 5% Spanish, and then there's the two Asian guys. I think I've seen maybe one white guy.
    Don't lower yourself to that kind of nonsense. The frustration you feel is warranted; how you handle it knowing that the politically correct types in the EEO office are scheming in your face is the measure we'll gauge you by. But don't resort to their game; it may be the winning play but there's no honor in that kinda crap. On this job, those who proves themselves are welcome, no matter what color they are. We are who and what we are, and that's godamn good enough; let Corrections worry about themselves.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I don't understand what the big deal is, I'm willing to work with anyone who is what ever color of the color wheel they are period. As long as they are mentally and physically competent. Wtf, this is a dangerous job and people seem to forget that. We all can't be president just like we all can't be part of the nfl or nba Or MLB. Not everyone is meant to be a firemen, I can't guarantee that I'm for this until headquarters saids I am and then probie school. It's ashame that we all gotta come down to this especially when we all eat and s h I t the same way.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

What people seem to forget Phs didn't bring about the law suit. The Vulcan society did. They did a comparison and minorities with the same score were passed up and were not considered. Someoh the Phs scored high and well and at the end of the day it was a race issue and clearly minorities were passed up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Don't worry about that yet. Like I said, EVERY house goes to fires. Brooklyn has EVERYTHING, from private dwellings to giant tenements to office buildings. You want to start there. But whatever house you go to is the best house in the city.
    Lolz. .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc3071 View Post
    What people seem to forget Phs didn't bring about the law suit. The Vulcan society did. They did a comparison and minorities with the same score were passed up and were not considered. Someoh the Phs scored high and well and at the end of the day it was a race issue and clearly minorities were passed up

What?

Just, what?
    HopefulFF and MuscleHamster like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    What?

Just, what?
    unfortunately that opinion is a very popular one among people who would be part of the lawsuit. It gave a lot of people a scapegoat for their shortcomings.
    NycQ83 and MuscleHamster like this.

Forum Member

Id thought id lighten the mood a little bit. Anyone try that SUPER COLON CLEANSE yet ? lol
    vekdoggs75 and dem7191 like this.

Forum Member

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. No one gets passed over if you scored high you get called. The problem was that to many minorities didn't score high enough to get called. Before you post **** on here get your facts straight.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Where's almostthere at? Have you heard anything since you finished your tests? Anything from the investigator? Have you heard how many other PHs have passed?

Forum Member

You literally have no clue what you are talking about. Pretty much every word in that paragraph is wrong. Your two points.

1) The Vulcan's didn't "bring the lawsuit", the EEOC and three African American applicants who FAILED did. The Vulcans jumped on after. And yes, those 3 applicant's who failed would count as priority hires.

2) No one gets "passed up", when their number is reached they start the process, that's the point of having a list. If a person failed some aspect of that its because of their medical, psyc, investigation, or physical ability... NOT race.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Honestly go back to sleep or better yet, go back to the trolling on the Daily News and other liberal publications' comment sections. You obviously have no ****ing clue what you're talking about here. Just think to yourself for a second (don't think too hard or you might get a head ache), how would there be a Vulcan Society in the FDNY if the Dept was so flat out racist? The *******s who believe this bogus racist notion are the ones that believe that an 85 on the written exam should get you hired. This isn't 5th grade Algebra where you get a gold star for passing. If you don't ace the crap out of these exams, you don't get hired. Plain and Simple. Now like I said, go back to sleep.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    You literally have no clue what you are talking about. Pretty much every word in that paragraph is wrong. Your two points.

1) The Vulcan's didn't "bring the lawsuit", the EEOC and three African American applicants who FAILED did. The Vulcans jumped on after. And yes, those 3 applicant's who failed would count as priority hires.

2) No one gets "passed up", when their number is reached they start the process, that's the point of having a list. If a person failed some aspect of that its because of their medical, psyc, investigation, or physical ability... NOT race.
    Candido Nunez, one of the plaintiffs, actually got hired off list 2043 (last class). A friend of mine graduated with him and told me the guy can barely speak a lick of English. Must be a joy to work with him over a radio.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Forum Member

First of all, 2 of them are already OTJ. Second of all I personally know someone who paperwork magically disappeared from his investigators files and waited 2 classes before he got on. Coincidence? A little fishy? Who knows, one thing I do know for certain is that the test was not "racist".
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Don't talk down to me, or anyone else on this job; you're a shavetail candidate who should be more concerned with your run time than this stuff. You can quote all the legalese you want; we spare that BS on our job. Just because a judge says it's right don't make it right. Disparate impact is a crock, and any fair minded individual who ain't afraid to tell it like it is will say so.

Do us a favor and stick with NYPD; this job ain't for you. Point blank, this "statute" seeks to put unqualified people on our job at the expense of the public based on the color of a person's skin. NOTHING could possibly be more unfair or wrong headed. That you agree with it is proof positive that you belong in an administrative position at 1 Police Plaza, not a firehouse.

Substance, character and tenacity matter on this job; you have none of that. Find a pencil to push and leave the job to the real firemen. And cops for that matter, because you ain't one of them, either.
    from wikipedia:
    An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely an irrelevance.[6]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Since you're obviouslyyyy such a intelligent fella, please tell me how Europeans have been served through this statute? As a son of an immigrant, I never once heard of this as a kid.
    http://bit.ly/10Ia7qV

Forum Member

The VS sought them out, started the lawsuit, hired the attorneys, and solicited the DOJ but the PHs are just as bad for jumping at the chance to make some money.

Forum Member

The Vulcans brought the suit; the three named plaintiffs are those who actually suffered "harm." The VS is a fraternal society and was not actually affected by the hiring process, since they're already on the job, so they could lob a disparate treatment claim but needed to find plaintiffs who did not get hired to claim disparate impact. The VS sought out prior test takers and dangled an opportunity in front of them, and the three plaintiffs listed took the bait. The first step in bringing a T7 suit is to make a federal OEEO, which the three plaintiffs did (disparate impact for not being hired) along with the VS (disparate treatment, since they're on the job already). The DOJ was involved because they investigate large-scale, state-related (including municipalities) allegations of civil rights violations.

Forum Member

I think I need a lawyer just to read this thread.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Man, that psych test was more tiring than the CPAT! One step closer.
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dawk34 View Post
    Man, that psych test was more tiring than the CPAT! One step closer.
    yea the questions on that thing are ridiculous

Forum Member

Nothing like a little completely false information to perpetuate myth. Nne of what you said is accurate, nor was that the determination of the court.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    from wikipedia:
    An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely an irrelevance.[6]
    from Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story:
    "Oh, now he's a philosophizer"- White Goodman

Give it a rest, Descartes. You can deflect and throw around all the philosophy you like, but you can't get around the fact that the guy who scored higher on the test than the other, regardless of race or creed, is the guy who should get the job.

And yes, that was indeed an ad hominem argument, specifically directed at you with the intend to insult and offend. More to come if you make it on this job, flatfoot, so do yourself a favor and stick to the EEO office at PD headquarters.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 05-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Sooooo.....anymore medicals scheduled? Lawsuit bs should have its own thread
    TomFromQueens and FDNYGUY28 like this.

Thread Information