Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 413 of 1144 FirstFirst ... 313363403410411412413414415416423463513913 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,260 of 22870
Like Tree8985Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #8241
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default Question about training for CPAT and Medical

    Hey guys. Quick question that I'd like to get some clarification on. I'm training for the CPAT and medical from the OC list. Should we be in good shape if we stick to the 10 phase plan outlined in the CPAT training guide?

    I am in no way underestimating the test, but I've run marathons before and boxed and I've been in some pretty amazing shape in the past (and I'm nowhere near that kind of shape right now). I'm doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and I'm following the running schedule of 3 miles a couple of times a week, 1.5 miles once a week and stairs a couple of times a week with 50lbs on my back for 10 minutes, but I am by no means doing anything crazy right now to put me in ridiculous shape just yet.

    Is this consistent with what some of you are doing? I know we need to be in much better shape for the actual academy, and I'd like to save the more intense/insane workouts for that as it gets closer.

    I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

    Thanks!


  2. #8242
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post
    Hey guys. Quick question that I'd like to get some clarification on. I'm training for the CPAT and medical from the OC list. Should we be in good shape if we stick to the 10 phase plan outlined in the CPAT training guide?

    I am in no way underestimating the test, but I've run marathons before and boxed and I've been in some pretty amazing shape in the past (and I'm nowhere near that kind of shape right now). I'm doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and I'm following the running schedule of 3 miles a couple of times a week, 1.5 miles once a week and stairs a couple of times a week with 50lbs on my back for 10 minutes, but I am by no means doing anything crazy right now to put me in ridiculous shape just yet.

    Is this consistent with what some of you are doing? I know we need to be in much better shape for the actual academy, and I'd like to save the more intense/insane workouts for that as it gets closer.

    I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

    Thanks!
    I'm pretty much doing something similar. I'm increasing everything slowly so i don't get hurt, but 12 miles a week is where I'm at right now. I do need to do more stair mill though, right now its only twice a week. You're staying on for 10min straight? Right now im doing 7 straight then the vest comes off and i jump right back on for 10min

  3. #8243
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    419

    Default

    I also bought that iron gym pullup thing, its def a great purchase, only$30 and you can do 3 different pullup grips, pushups, and it holds your feet for situps also. No screwing into your door frame either, im loving it

  4. #8244
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I just want to know what is up with the mentors we were supposed to have helping us answer these questions?

  5. #8245
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    462

    Default

    One thing I learned through out the years I been religiously going to the gym is that each person is different and what may work for them may not for you. It may help to hear different routines and workout schedules to get an idea but you have to build your own to get the best results for YOU.
    DannyD0pe and fuoco83 like this.

  6. #8246
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Having had a chance to run through the CPAT(Training) , if you've run marathons and stayed physically active, I'm sure you'll be fine for passing the CPAT. I can't comment on the Academy but rule of thumb I wouldn't aim to just barely pass the CPAT because the Academy would be right around the corner and plenty are failing due to lack of physical ability. If you're close to taking the CPAT or have a list number 1500> , I'd seriously consider working out/cardio at least 5x a week. If you really want the job, like I do and how I figure most of you do, work out everyday. I usually run 3x a week, 2x HIIT and hit the gym 4x or 5x a week. It all depends how bad you want it and realizing that you probably will be in a situation where you might have to pick someone up or someone do something physically tasking and you don't want to be THAT guy and not be able to do it.

  7. #8247
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post
    Hey guys. Quick question that I'd like to get some clarification on. I'm training for the CPAT and medical from the OC list. Should we be in good shape if we stick to the 10 phase plan outlined in the CPAT training guide?

    I am in no way underestimating the test, but I've run marathons before and boxed and I've been in some pretty amazing shape in the past (and I'm nowhere near that kind of shape right now). I'm doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and I'm following the running schedule of 3 miles a couple of times a week, 1.5 miles once a week and stairs a couple of times a week with 50lbs on my back for 10 minutes, but I am by no means doing anything crazy right now to put me in ridiculous shape just yet.

    Is this consistent with what some of you are doing? I know we need to be in much better shape for the actual academy, and I'd like to save the more intense/insane workouts for that as it gets closer.

    I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

    Thanks!
    Don't only workout for the CPAT, prepare your body for the actually academy. I still can't believe people are not taking their workouts seriously or putting it on hold until they get verification that they will go to the academy. This is the reason why a lot of people in the current class are failing. Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do. I am surprise you are asking such a question since you claim you have ran marathons and was once into boxing. That workout instinct should be in you already.

  8. #8248
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do.
    I guess studying for the exam and getting a score in hiring range doesn't fall under "do what you have to do". Bulls*it lawsuits do, right?

    These guys are getting on the job the right way; save your comments for your buddies on the priority hire list who substitute hard work and sacrifice with whining and lawsuits.

  9. #8249
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    I guess studying for the exam and getting a score in hiring range doesn't fall under "do what you have to do". Bulls*it lawsuits do, right?

    These guys are getting on the job the right way; save your comments for your buddies on the priority hire list who substitute hard work and sacrifice with whining and lawsuits.
    My motto is, It doesn't matter how you got on the job but what you do when you get on it. And when I get on it, my work ethic will speak volumes. With that being said, I am working my butt off now and will continue too do so until I get on the job and after. Furthermore, you can continue to shoot down every post I make, but you should be aware that it is motivating more to push myself in the gym and academically. So, keep up the good work buddy.

  10. #8250
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Don't only workout for the CPAT, prepare your body for the actually academy. I still can't believe people are not taking their workouts seriously or putting it on hold until they get verification that they will go to the academy. This is the reason why a lot of people in the current class are failing. Like the previous poster above said, if you really want it, do what you have to do. I am surprise you are asking such a question since you claim you have ran marathons and was once into boxing. That workout instinct should be in you already.
    I was half expecting a superstar like you to reply with an assinine reply like this one. you don't know me, you don't know my life circumstances and commitments right now, and you never will because you're the kind of person that hides behind a forum and acts like a tough guy but would know better than make such comments in person because you'd get smacked in a heartbeat.

    Are you a hired critic for the fitness academy at the Rock? Didn't think so. You focus on your training routine and I focus on mine. Good luck. Take questions for what they are and don't judge. This isn't your Dear Abby column to share your advice.

    As for the others who replied with legit responses, i'll write back tomorrow. I just had to reply to this winner before getting to bed, though.

  11. #8251
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    My motto is, It doesn't matter how you got on the job but what you do when you get on it. And when I get on it, my work ethic will speak volumes. With that being said, I am working my butt off now and will continue too do so until I get on the job and after. Furthermore, you can continue to shoot down every post I make, but you should be aware that it is motivating more to push myself in the gym and academically. So, keep up the good work buddy.
    Geez, it's an awful shame I wasn't around for the two previous tests you took; I might have been able to motivate you into studying hard enough to do well on them. Then the lawsuit wouldn't have been necessary at all.

    Please be sure your "work ethic" that abandoned you when you needed it to study materializes when you are let (LET, not EARNED) on this job. Garaufis opened the door to a firehouse for you but the men within who care about this job will be put in jeopardy if your resolve suddenly fails you, like it has in the past.

    Either way, stay the hell off this thread with your "do what you gotta do" crap; you FAILED to do so when you were supposed to, and these guys don't need your advice.

    Ok, back to the ignore button for you. Guys looking to do the right thing instead of slithering on the job may have a question.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 03-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.

  12. #8252
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post
    I was half expecting a superstar like you to reply with an assinine reply like this one. you don't know me, you don't know my life circumstances and commitments right now, and you never will because you're the kind of person that hides behind a forum and acts like a tough guy but would know better than make such comments in person because you'd get smacked in a heartbeat.

    Are you a hired critic for the fitness academy at the Rock? Didn't think so. You focus on your training routine and I focus on mine. Good luck. Take questions for what they are and don't judge. This isn't your Dear Abby column to share your advice.

    As for the others who replied with legit responses, i'll write back tomorrow. I just had to reply to this winner before getting to bed, though.
    Why are you and teufelhunden36 assume I am talking tough or acting tough on a message broad. My charater and personality is far from that. Like everyone else on this forum I am responding and/or making suggestions. I see you and Teufelhunden have anger issue because you guys continue to talk about physical abuse or dish out verbal assaults. Like other previous posters said, stop having excuses not to work out, just do it. And if my post offended you, you are a very weak person mentally, or you are just and emotional person.

  13. #8253
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Why are you and teufelhunden36 assume I am talking tough or acting tough on a message broad. My charater and personality is far from that. Like everyone else on this forum I am responding and/or making suggestions. I see you and Teufelhunden have anger issue because you guys continue to talk about physical abuse or dish out verbal assaults. Like other previous posters said, stop having excuses not to work out, just do it. And if my post offended you, you are a very weak person mentally, or you are just and emotional person.
    You mistake offense for disgust. Deflection seems to be par for the course with you, but at least drop the tired "you're emotional" line. It makes no sense. If you manage to slither onto our job, you will find an entire job who is "emotional" and has "anger issues" at the thought of people who didn't earn this job getting it over people who did based on skin color. Better get used to it, because it's not gonna let it up. Nor should it, freeloader.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  14. #8254
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Why are you and teufelhunden36 assume I am talking tough or acting tough on a message broad. My charater and personality is far from that. Like everyone else on this forum I am responding and/or making suggestions. I see you and Teufelhunden have anger issue because you guys continue to talk about physical abuse or dish out verbal assaults. Like other previous posters said, stop having excuses not to work out, just do it. And if my post offended you, you are a very weak person mentally, or you are just and emotional person.
    I think it's safe to say that no one on here wants to hear what you have to say or values your opinion in the least. I guess people find it pretty arrogant that you would even have the nerve to speak, let alone give advice in the condescending manner in which you did. Your comment didn't even serve a purpose, it contained ZERO information.

    Trolling.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 03-05-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  15. #8255
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Honestly I'm disgusted w the priority hires.... I don't have my packet yet because of them enough said... Gonna have to wait while the PHs waste more of the cities time and money especially when there droppin out of the rock like I change my socks
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

  16. #8256
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Almost there

    What's the deal with the PHs? You guys doing Medicals, physicals, what? And how is it going with them do you know?

    I could care less for those answers so that I can insult or mock them in anyway I just want to know where they stand in the process so I know where I stand.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

  17. #8257
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Almost there

    What's the deal with the PHs? You guys doing Medicals, physicals, what? And how is it going with them do you know?

    I could care less for those answers so that I can insult or mock them in anyway I just want to know where they stand in the process so I know where I stand.
    True - if you really want to help anyone on here, provide info pertaining to the status of the priority hires.

  18. #8258
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Honestly I'm disgusted w the priority hires.... I don't have my packet yet because of them enough said... Gonna have to wait while the PHs waste more of the cities time and money especially when there droppin out of the rock like I change my socks
    Look, I'm not here to defend PHs. But everyone needs to just deal with reality and stop being so reactionary in a way that, frankly, smacks of racism. I don't see anyone OTJ saying they'll quit because of the PH situation and anyone on the list saying they won't take the job because of the PH situation. And to the point, while we beat up on PHs for their academic and other deficiencies, it is *their" and not *there* and not a single PH is currently dropping out of the Rock, because not a single one of them is there (not *their*) yet. Let us move past it and deal with the situation at hand.
    mannyjay likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  19. #8259
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    double post.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 03-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  20. #8260
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Look, I'm not here to defend PHs. But everyone needs to just deal with reality and stop being so reactionary in a way that, frankly, smacks of racism. I don't see anyone OTJ saying they'll quit because of the PH situation and anyone on the list saying they won't take the job because of the PH situation. And to the point, while we beat up on PHs for their academic and other deficiencies, it is *their" and not *there* and not a single PH is currently dropping out of the Rock, because not a single one of them is there (not *their*) yet. Let us move past it and deal with the situation at hand.
    Possibly because it is racism...our disdain has not a thing to do with us being racist but the racist court rulings which are ultimately holding all of us oc candidates of all races back... Never was it mentioned that any of us no longer wanted the job it is that we want the job so bad and it is another political agenda holding us back. I would have no problem waiting for more qualified candidates passing me by but to have to wait because of someone who did not earn it. That's not racism that's called recognizing injustice and speaking out against it
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 29 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 20 guests)

  1. antmdog,
  2. J Fitz,
  3. JDNY13,
  4. JRodPizza ,
  5. k20dc2,
  6. Matador611,
  7. Mazzeo5,
  8. Smoove,
  9. test2000

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts