Like Tree11269Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    hahaha Im from Brooklyn, but I work in the Bronx.
    where in the bronx do you work?

Forum Member

i got my notice for medical may 21 very low 200s
    HopefulFF, River6019 and USMC2024 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i got my notice for medical may 21 very low 200s
    I may be off base about this, but it seems that in the past getting to the point where your medical was done was a great indicator you will probably be making the class. Especially with over 2 months to go till the start date. I hope that's the case here for you guys.
    vekdoggs75 and FDNYGUY28 like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I may be off base about this, but it seems that in the past getting to the point where your medical was done was a great indicator you will probably be making the class. Especially with over 2 months to go till the start date. I hope that's the case here for you guys.
    I heard the same. Under normal circumstances it at worst means you're on the cusp. It's been 2-3 weeks since they've sent med letters out so I'm guessing they're close to a pool of 300.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Clearly hees a troll just disregard
    no troll here, just post when I have something useful to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Turn you PM on..
    It's on....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I heard the same. Under normal circumstances it at worst means you're on the cusp. It's been 2-3 weeks since they've sent med letters out so I'm guessing they're close to a pool of 300.
    what is a "cusp"?

Forum Member

A question for the guys that are done with the medical and cpat. Are you guys working out as much and as intense with your weight vest as before? I used to work out with my vest about 3-4 times a week, and that is on top of all the running and strength training also. I could feel my knees and legs taking a beating. I was thinking about using the vest about once a week so I can focus more on running and my workout routine. I just want to compare workout plans to see if I need to step up my workout, or if I'm doing ok as it is. My main focus has and will always be cardio. I do a significant amount of running, and I sprint stairs after my runs. I also do a lot of calisthenics. Rarely do I use weights as I'm not a big fan of them. Thanks for any replies, and congratulations to the probies who graduated the academy today I believe.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Hey just wondering if you could expand on this, just confused on what you mean?
    I'm a little slow today so forgive me if this is a stupid question haha

Forum Member

OK, so the med letter has three parts to it. First is the letter giving you your date for the medical and where to go (Metro Tech). The second is the candidate medical disclosure form which must be filled out and notarized before you get to the medical. The last is a policy letter on grooming standards. One thing they do ask for is for your immunization records so if you are like most people and have no idea where it is, you have a little time to look for it. Hopefully this is a good sign they are at least considering OC candidates for this next class but who knows.
    HopefulFF and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

A friend doing light duty at BHS told me a couple days ago that A LOT of people were failing Medicals for many different reasons not just the stairs. Even the second medical for stairs aswell. I didn't want to start rumors but I guess now that they actually moving toward in the list for Medicals this rumor might actually be a fact.
    vekdoggs75, NycQ83 and SouthBK84 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    A question for the guys that are done with the medical and cpat. Are you guys working out as much and as intense with your weight vest as before? I used to work out with my vest about 3-4 times a week, and that is on top of all the running and strength training also. I could feel my knees and legs taking a beating. I was thinking about using the vest about once a week so I can focus more on running and my workout routine. I just want to compare workout plans to see if I need to step up my workout, or if I'm doing ok as it is. My main focus has and will always be cardio. I do a significant amount of running, and I sprint stairs after my runs. I also do a lot of calisthenics. Rarely do I use weights as I'm not a big fan of them. Thanks for any replies, and congratulations to the probies who graduated the academy today I believe.
    I've just been doing cardio, push ups , sit ups and pull ups. They told me at the rock that I should be concentrating on those things alone. Not to even pick up a weight. Still use the weighted vest and the stair master but mainly focus on running. I start training full time Monday and will be ready to go by the time the 1.5 run comes around in July. Im aiming to do it in 10 min
    Last edited by FDNYGUY28; 05-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    coldblood92 and dawk34 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    I just passed my medical yesterday, but my plan is to
    Continue to use my vest the way I have been using it before: 3xs a
    Week I do as a warmup 3 minutes no vest, get off, immediately put the vest on then 8:30 minutes with
    The vest. That served me
    Well as a way to warm up on gym days. After that I would do a run of various distances, followed by some calisthenics and weights, then a cool
    Down on the bike for about half an hour at an easy pace.

If your banging up your knees or whatever I would maybe take a break. Maybe go a week or two no vest or stairs, then ease back
    Into it. First no vest, then
    Slowly add weight. Im thinking some kind of pyramid routine... The name of the game at this point for those of us starring at the July class is, yes, stay
    In shape, but also stay injury free.
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by o_corchado View Post
    no troll here, just post when I have something useful to contribute.

It's on....
    Ha, I think Frank88 was just replying late to a NYPDtoFD post a few pages ago not you.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Also, Idk how much stair
    Work we should expect at the academy, maybe MM or others
    OTJ can give an idea how much stair work those of us past the medical portion should be incorporating into our pt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    I just passed my medical yesterday, but my plan is to
    Continue to use my vest the way I have been using it before: 3xs a
    Week I do as a warmup 3 minutes no vest, get off, immediately put the vest on then 8:30 minutes with
    The vest. That served me
    Well as a way to warm up on gym days. After that I would do a run of various distances, followed by some calisthenics and weights, then a cool
    Down on the bike for about half an hour at an easy pace.

If your banging up your knees or whatever I would maybe take a break. Maybe go a week or two no vest or stairs, then ease back
    Into it. First no vest, then
    Slowly add weight. Im thinking some kind of pyramid routine... The name of the game at this point for those of us starring at the July class is, yes, stay
    In shape, but also stay injury free.
    Hey any of you lucky people who make it into this summer's class. I'm sure you could sell your weight vests pretty quickly on this forum in a couple months haha.
    vekdoggs75, Gheech and FDNYGUY28 like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I 100% agree with ya especially since the class (from what people have said) is starting in late July. I'm VERY curious about this rumor of people failing the medical and the reasons behind it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    what is a "cusp"?
    Like they are right on the border of making it or just missing the class.

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I was told that the city tries as best as possible to avoid giving too many medicals to guys who donít end up in the very next class because then you go months between the medical and the class, and could get out of shape or the city may even have to give you a mini-medical (not sure what that means) right before the class to make sure youíre still ready to go. Itís not perfect and there always ends up being people processed completely who miss the class, but they try their best to make that # of people as small as possible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    The medical is basically the last thing you need to get through before being called for the Academy. So if you're being called for that then you're pretty close to going in. Basically anybody who's received a letter now has a chance at the summer class and almost definitely in the January one (if there is one).

Forum Member

Can anyone confirm the following?

Cpat is good for a year
    Medical is good for six months

Forum Member

Are they still allowing guys to take the vision part of the exam with glasses/contacts on ? I know in the past you needed to get lasik done but with the EMS promos they were allowed to take the vision part of the medical with contacts on.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post

Cpat is good for a year
    confirmed . Someone asked the same question at the rock. during cpat training. He was a seaman.... (navy)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Are they still allowing guys to take the vision part of the exam with glasses/contacts on ? I know in the past you needed to get lasik done but with the EMS promos they were allowed to take the vision part of the medical with contacts on.
    i took it with contacts. i passed
    TomFromQueens likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post

Cpat is good for a year
    Thought CPAT was good for the duration of the list and medical for 1 calendar year....might be wrong

Ok I guess I was wrong then lol
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I 100% agree with ya especially since the class (from what people have said) is starting in late July. I'm VERY curious about this rumor of people failing the medical and the reasons behind it.
    Just a heads up the next probie class was moved to August
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Well it was planned for july 29, so August is only a few days lol, if in fact that is true

Thread Information