+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 323940414243444552921425421042 ... LastLast
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geschaefer View Post
    Firefighter Exam Tutorial Classes from the FDNY Vulcan Society

Greetings firefighter candidate,

This message is from the Vulcan Society, the organization of NYC's Black firefighters. Founded in 1940, we have been involved in everything from desegregating firehouses in the 1940's and 50's, to helping establish the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters in 1970, to our recent efforts to help diversify the FDNY. Towards that end, we have for decades provided tutoring to Black candidates like yourself who are about to take the FDNY firefighter entrance exam. We will be providing tutoring for your upcoming exam as well.

Two separate lesson plans will be taught, and you will be given work to take home. Both lesson plans will cover all subjects you will see on your test. Your instructors will be Black FDNY fire officers and firefighters. The study material was prepared by professional fire test developers and experienced NYC firefighters.

We believe – as we have been told in the past – that our tutoring will be the best tutoring available at any cost! A one-time fee of $20 (just to cover our costs) allows you to attend as often as you like.

Class schedules and locations are as follows:

Brooklyn

M.S. 35
    272 MacDonough St.
    on the corner of Lewis Ave
    (A/C at Utica Ave)

Lesson Plan A
    Monday, February 27th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 3rd – 11:00 a.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Monday, March 5th – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, March 10th – 11:00 a.m.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym)
    240 E. 123rd St.
    near 2nd Avenue
    (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A
    Tuesday, February 28th – 7:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, February 29th – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Tuesday, March 6th – 7:00 p.m.

Queens

M.S. 72
    133-25 Guy R. Brewer Blvd
    Rochdale Village

Lesson Plan A
    Thursday, March 1st – 7:00 p.m.

Lesson Plan B
    Thursday, March 8th – 7:00 p.m.

Staten Island

I.S. 49
    101 Warren St.
    between Hill St. & Laurel Ave

Lesson Plan A

Lesson Plan B
    Wednesday, March 7th – 7:00 p.m.

Because there will be so much competition for this great career, a very high score on the exam is a necessity. Give yourself a leg up by taking advantage of this opportunity.

Finally, please click here to let us know which tutorial you’d like to attend and give us your contact information so we can keep in touch with you about the hiring process. (Even if you don’t pick a tutorial session now, that’s ok - just show up at any tutoring site on any day.)

Thank you,

The Vulcan Society
    739 Eastern Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11213-3410
    This is BS if the city doesn't offer tutoring classes for all potential candidates. The Queens one is 5 minutes from job, think they will let a white guy show up ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    This could get awkward...

This part here bothers me

"We believe – as we have been told in the past – that our tutoring will be the best tutoring available at any cost!"

Maybe I'm looking into it too much but I get the feeling they can say that because an agreement was made that only the Vulcans will be holding prep classes. I really hope I'm wrong

Forum Member

so messed up. why do they have to say black? its like if you read it without the word black in it it still makes perfect sense and everyone knows what the vulcan society is. this is the most racist crap to be written on this forum or the 6019 forum ever

Forum Member

I don't fit the criteria the Vulcans are looking for but I'm down to go to the prep sessions at Rochdale Village if anyone else is.

Forum Member

``````````````````````
    Last edited by Geschaefer; 01-03-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Forum Member

Wow, I cant believe they are actually giving their own seesions. I will absolutly be going to every single one I can. Just need to see which place is closest. Probably the one on 123rd street.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym)
    240 E. 123rd St.
    near 2nd Avenue
    (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A

Lesson Plan B

Im gonna try and hit EVERY session, and there is no way they boot me out for being white. Anyone feel like buddying up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Wow, I cant believe they are actually giving their own seesions. I will absolutly be going to every single one I can. Just need to see which place is closest. Probably the one on 123rd street.

Manhattan

Taino Towers (Gym)
    240 E. 123rd St.
    near 2nd Avenue
    (4/5/6 to 125th St.)

Lesson Plan A

Lesson Plan B

Im gonna try and hit EVERY session, and there is no way they boot me out for being white. Anyone feel like buddying up?
    I'm debating on going to that location on either the Monday or Tuesday session. Saturday is a No Go for me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I'm debating on going to that location on either the Monday or Tuesday session. Saturday is a No Go for me.
    Yeah, I'll be at those for sure. Not certain if the different days are repeats of the same info but it can't hurt to show up to both in case the miss anything one day.

Geschaefer, can you turn on your Private messaging?

Thanks

Forum Member

How do we register for these courses? I dont see a link or a phone #. do we just show up and bring 20 dollars? Im white and im definately going.

Forum Member

I believe that you are all welcome to the sessions. Sure their organization is geared towards blacks but theyre still firefighters. They will not turn you away because you are white. From what i hear the issue is that they felt a little funny about fireexam.net charging $360 knowing most minorities probably couldnt afford it.(this is hear say). On the facebook page someone brought up the vulcans tutorial session... In JoinFDNY's response they said that the city would provide a tutoring session to all applicants. (so maybe this confirms that the city will do something...) oh and by the way im new here. Nice to meet you all!

Forum Member

PM turned on

Forum Member

Flood these meetings
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 02-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Are they still doing FST? I thought they decided to stop that after jamal sears died?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    Are they still doing FST? I thought they decided to stop that after jamal sears died?
    Jamel Sears*. Sorry, he was a good friend of mine.

Forum Member

I'm going to try and go to the Brooklyn one on Monday (2/27). Let me know if anyone else is going. I'll be the tall Korean dude looking all confused and shiet. Lol.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I'll be there myself with a few others. In case anyone wants to link up pm me.

Forum Member

I'm down to go, I'm white any one wanna come? I'll drive

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

What's with the bigotry in this thread? Respectfully, don't go if your going to make a mockery of the vulcans and their services. Just because your white doesn't mean your being targeted for racism. Everyone from all the pretty colors of the rainbow is more than welcome to attend. Just bring 20 bucks. They will not turn you away just because you are a particular ethnic group. The vulcans are not going to want to make headlines with this bs. So please stop stiring s#it up and giving people a bad name. Especially when they are trying to help.

Forum Member

Theres 1,967 candidates taking the promotional exam. That list must be exhausted before they look at the open competitive. With that said, will any of us stand a chance if we dont make the top 2000. Well that depends on how many they hire... I've heard that their head count is low but 4000 low? Also think of the academy classes. 1967 candidates is good for 4 - 5 academies. Correct? I would think that each and everyone of those emts/paramedics will make it to the academy give or take a few. They're already with the FDNY so their background must be ok and also it doesnt matter what they score, all they have to do is pass. The most i can get is 105. I wonder if thats good enough for top 1000. What do you guys and gals think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
    Theres 1,967 candidates taking the promotional exam. That list must be exhausted before they look at the open competitive. With that said, will any of us stand a chance if we dont make the top 2000. Well that depends on how many they hire... I've heard that their head count is low but 4000 low? Also think of the academy classes. 1967 candidates is good for 4 - 5 academies. Correct? I would think that each and everyone of those emts/paramedics will make it to the academy give or take a few. They're already with the FDNY so their background must be ok and also it doesnt matter what they score, all they have to do is pass. The most i can get is 105. I wonder if thats good enough for top 1000. What do you guys and gals think.
    They don't exhaust the entire ems list first. they take some from that list and some from the the open list for each class. i thought what you thought at first, but i read the 6019 thread and all the info is in there. i think last class was around 85-100 promotionals and 200-225 from the open exam.

Thread Information