Like Tree9509Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The personal references rules might be different for you guys, but the rules for those of us on the promotion list was no relatives, no FDNY. Friend, former coworker, teacher, whatever.
    That's exactly what mine said.

Forum Member

So I am currently in the process of hiring with the NYPD as well as FDNY. It appears that I have passed the psych part of the process for the FDNY (I took the test on april 20 and haven't heard anything since), but I have a question. I am about to take the pysch evaluation with the NYPD and am wondering; If I got dq'ed from the psych part of the NYPD process, would that mean I would get DQ'ed from the FDNY as well?

I have no reason to fail the NYPD psych evaluation, its just that I have heard that they are very strict with NYPD psych. evaluation, and fail many people.

And since it appears that I have already passed the FDNY psych, maybe I should just put the NYPD process on hold? Can I put the NYPD hiring process on hold?

P.S. I would much rather be in the FDNY lol.
    Last edited by infolet333; 05-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    So I am currently in the process of hiring with the NYPD as well as FDNY. It appears that I have passed the psych part of the process for the FDNY (I took the test on april 20 and haven't heard anything since), but I have a question. I am about to take the pysch evaluation with the NYPD and am wondering; If I got dq'ed from the psych part of the NYPD process, would that mean I would get DQ'ed from the FDNY as well?

I have no reason to fail the NYPD psych evaluation, its just that I have heard that they are very strict with NYPD psych. evaluation, and fail many people.

And since it appears that I have already passed the FDNY psych, maybe I should just put the NYPD process on hold? Can I put the NYPD hiring process on hold?

I have asked friends of friends in the investigation dept on PD that exact question, they said it shouldn't and they don't see it happening. Take it's for what it's worth thou, I would imagine it's question most don't know the answer to.

What exam number are you, I am curious what exam they are up to? I am 3308 or 3309 if I remember correctly.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

You have way too much faith in the power of city government. There's no way in the world either agency would know/care that you are in the hiring process for the other.

Forum Member

Take the Psych for NYPD. If something goes wrong (like background check, DWIs, summons, moving violations etc.) they may put you on review and they will let you know about it. Once they put you on review then you should definitely withdrawal yourself from the process instead of potentially being DQed. You can reinstate yourself in NYPD process and take your chances if you don't get into FDNY.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 05-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Forum Member

You have way too much faith in the power of city government. There's no way in the world either agency would know/care that you are in the hiring process for the other.
    NYPD cares. They ask you for the list number of every single civil service list you have ever applied for. I assume FDNY doesn't ask you that question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    NYPD cares. They ask you for the list number of every single civil service list you have ever applied for. I assume FDNY doesn't ask you that question.
    Yeah for some reason the PD does. Granted I've never heard this first hand, but a couple family friends that are big shots with the PD told me they certainly do care. I would assume it has to do with the amount of guys that get on PD and transfer over.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah for some reason the PD does. Granted I've never heard this first hand, but a couple family friends that are big shots with the PD told me they certainly do care. I would assume it has to do with the amount of guys that get on PD and transfer over.
    The last sentence has me confused. Which dept cares, FD? I might be extra slow today.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I mean I do not remember listing any other civil service tests that I took during the FDNY hiring process. Did anybody else list any other civil service tests they took while they were undergoing the FDNY hiring process?

If FDNY isn't going to auto DQ you for a DQ in the NYPD process, then I do not see why I shouldn't take the psych evaluation this week.

But if the FDNY is going to auto DQ people for an NYPD DQ, then I will just put the NYPD process on hold for now.

Nothing is more important than getting into the FDNY.

Forum Member

I mean I do not remember listing any other civil service tests that I took during the FDNY hiring process. Did anybody else list any other civil service tests they took while they were undergoing the FDNY hiring process?
    They asked us in our background packet if we have ever applied for any other city jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    They asked us in our background packet if we have ever applied for any other city jobs.
    Heh, I don't recall that. Still, if he's already made it to past the psych for FDNY, then they've presumably already completed the background check, and they aren't likely to follow up and ask the same questions again later.

Forum Member

So just to nutshell everything for anyone who's a little lost here's a summery of what information we've concluded in the last few weeks (correct me if I'm wrong):

I believe anyone who scored a 103 or higher on the exam (List numbers 1-733) have received their investigation packets and CPAT dates. (The first step in the hiring process)

There seems to be no pattern as to which comes first (Medical or Psych) but candidates under list number 300 have been hearing about both. (The second step in the hiring process)

The next class is scheduled to go in on July 29th, yet speculations say that the class may be held back until August (for the reason that they need more guys to fill the class)

The Priority hires will be hired at a 3:2 ratio along with the open competitive list (Exam 2000). So for every 3 Priority hires hired, 2 candidates off of the OC will be hired.

It's speculated that investigation packets for the next wave of candidates will go out by the end of the summer. (For the January class)

Reoccurring Vocabaulary:

OC - Open competitive. Refers to the list of candidates who took the test.
    PH - Priority Hires. Refers to candidates of the lawsuit who were given a second chance at taking the exam due to to lack of diversity on the FDNY.
    OTJ - Stands for "On the Job", Referring to someone already employed by the FDNY
    CPAT - The physical examination of the hiring process implemented in 2007 run by DCAS, NOT BY THE FDNY
    Exam 2000 - The open competitive test held in the spring of 2012
    Exam 2500 - The promotional exam held in the spring of 2012 for EMT's and Paramedics already hired by the FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    The last sentence has me confused. Which dept cares, FD? I might be extra slow today.
    Sorry - meant PD.

Forum Member

Last edited by JOEJ; 05-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

But if the FDNY is going to auto DQ people for an NYPD DQ, then I will just put the NYPD process on hold for now.
    I never heard of FD DQing someone for solely that reason.

Forum Member

Heh, I don't recall that. Still, if he's already made it to past the psych for FDNY, then they've presumably already completed the background check, and they aren't likely to follow up and ask the same questions again later.
    I assume the background check or psych is much more smooth for EMS than OC because you guys are already part of the department and they know your record.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I never heard of FD DQing someone for solely that reason.
    I hope this is true.

I don't know why I am worrying so much over a DQ for a psych. evaluation that I haven't even done yet. People over on the NYPD forum make it seem like the NYPD psych unit wants to DQ everybody.

Forum Member

Sorry - meant PD.
    I still don't get it, I am pretty spacey today. Thanks
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    If this is the case then if you ever answered a question in any city job application in writing then your best bet is to be consistent with your answer in the FDNY application.

For example: Have you ever used marijuana? If you answered yes in a previous application then you should answer yes in the FDNY application because if the city really wants to dig in they can find out the truth. This is just my analysis.

Forum Member

I still don't get it, I am pretty spacey today. Thanks
    Honestly disregard what I said - I just looked @ it again and now I'm confused lol
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    So just to nutshell everything for anyone who's a little lost here's a summery of what information we've concluded in the last few weeks (correct me if I'm wrong):

I believe anyone who scored a 103 or higher on the exam (List numbers 1-733) have received their investigation packets and CPAT dates. (The first step in the hiring process)

There seems to be no pattern as to which comes first (Medical or Psych) but candidates under list number 300 have been hearing about both. (The second step in the hiring process)

The next class is scheduled to go in on July 29th, yet speculations say that the class may be held back until August (for the reason that they need more guys to fill the class)

The Priority hires will be hired at a 3:2 ratio along with the open competitive list (Exam 2000). So for every 3 Priority hires hired, 2 candidates off of the OC will be hired.

It's speculated that investigation packets for the next wave of candidates will go out by the end of the summer. (For the January class)

Reoccurring Vocabaulary:

OC - Open competitive. Refers to the list of candidates who took the test.
    PH - Priority Hires. Refers to candidates of the lawsuit who were given a second chance at taking the exam due to to lack of diversity on the FDNY.
    OTJ - Stands for "On the Job", Referring to someone already employed by the FDNY
    CPAT - The physical examination of the hiring process implemented in 2007 run by DCAS, NOT BY THE FDNY
    Exam 2000 - The open competitive test held in the spring of 2012
    Exam 2500 - The promotional exam held in the spring of 2012 for EMT's and Paramedics already hired by the FDNY
    I know it's only speculation, but how large of a "wave" do you think they reach for the Jan class?

Forum Member

I wouldnt worry about that. There have been plenty of people that failed psychs for one dept and then get hired by another. Each dept does their own psych evaulation.

Of course you'd rather be FDNY. NYPD is the job you take when you can't get on FDNY

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJT611 View Post
    Good afternoon guys/gals, quick question.. I'm sitting mid 400's on the list for Exam 2000. I met with my investigator for our follow-up a few weeks back and I had made a small error on one of my documents. Long and short of it- To save a third trip back to Metro Tech, he provided me with an envelope so that I could instead mail that document (which I did immediately). I've contacted the investigator numerous times hoping to confirm that it was received. I was told to call back each time, as he hadn't yet gone through mail. Understandably he is busy, but I'm worrying that this has now been a few weeks and it would be a shame for something minor to dent this process. When I called earlier today, I was told to call back in another week. I thought of possibly re-sending that document (I have copies)- attached with a return receipt. Either that, or I will gladly take off work at some point this week and hand deliver it. I passed the CPAT on 5/7 and haven't yet received anything else. Thoughts? Good luck to everyone who is deservingly moving through this process, and THANK YOU for the information you've provided me along the way, especially those OTJ. Much much appreciated!

Honestly, and I'm not saying this to be mean, but, why ask that silly question when you already know the answer. What do you think you should do? Better yet what you think you should of done from the very start. Get your s hi t together my dude, next time be on point. Remember the job you have now is just a temp job so do what you gotta do for FDNY.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

I know it's only speculation, but how large of a "wave" do you think they reach for the Jan class?
    Curious as well. I am wondering how many people are gonna lose residency or are really interested in training for it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Curious as well. I am wondering how many people are gonna lose residency or are really interested in training for it.
    I third that !!!!! I'm dying to know as well
    Btw .. I still go hard on myself for being an idiot on that test !!! I know I would've gotten a Better score on that test. Now I just have to wait and see how many ppl ahead of me really want this job!!!! Hang in there bro !!!

Thread Information