Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 425 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 325375415422423424425426427428435475525925 ... LastLast
Results 8,481 to 8,500 of 22814
Like Tree8966Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    For the security detailed earning statement, will a printed copy from http://www.ssa.gov/ suffice? Or do I need to go down to the Social security office and get one from there?
    Has to be from the office. The one online is an earnings statement but it is not the DETAILED earnings statement which is the one you need.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Hey guys, serious training question here.

So in preparation for the academy, I have been going all out training. I run a mile and a half outdoors in 11:08, and I do stairmaster with a 50 pound vest for 8-10 minutes to start all of my workouts. I have been wondering though..

Because the academy trains probies with mostly calesthenics, I want to train this way now. I stopped doing most heavy weight lifting and am now just doing tons of pushups, situps, pullups, and farmers walks.

What I want to know is, whats the best leg exercise for probie school?

Do they just do tons of calesthenic squats? or do they do barbell squats in the academy?

How do they train legs in probie school?
    Last edited by infolet333; 03-09-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Lots of squats. Lots and lots of squats. Think the one where you hold your weights out in front and HOLD!
    Lunges, etc.

You are running more than 1.5 miles though, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Has to be from the office. The one online is an earnings statement but it is not the DETAILED earnings statement which is the one you need.
    Is this to prove the 6 months full time work? I've only had part time jobs while in college. I'm fulfilling that requirement with college credits so will I need to show a detailed earnings report as well?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Is this to prove the 6 months full time work? I've only had part time jobs while in college. I'm fulfilling that requirement with college credits so will I need to show a detailed earnings report as well?
    I had to do a SS Detailed Earning Statement when I got on EMS. I think the point of it is more to verify your stated work history. Assuming every job is on the books and you had payroll taxes withheld, it provides a way of verifying all of the places you say you've worked, while making sure you didn't leave any out (like say... a place you got fired from for stealing).

PS: Leg training in the academy. In formal PT, think squats, lunges, that sort of stuff. The heaviest weight you'll ever lift while doing PT is the 10# dumbbell, which is not to say that it's easy, but you won't be doing heavy squats. During the rest of the day you have plenty of time though to be going up and down the stairs for a variety of reasons, so there's that too.

Forum Member

So I just walk into the social security office (

154 Pierrepont St., Sixth Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11201
    ) and just ask for a detailed earning statement for the last 4 years? And I won't have my license by my intake(April.1st) but I'll have my permit(this week) and then I'll try to expedite everything and try to have my license by June, this I'll be all good? And would it be a good idea to write a letter explaining my arrests? I read something on here about someone doing that? So besides the initial application , detailed earning statement , IDs and proof of residency , is that all you need?

Forum Member

Yes, just walk in and ask for the earnings. Bring the money order , $25. You are gonna need id to get the printout, maybe your permit will work, but bring passport, and ss card if you have them. I think on the intake application, there is a blank page where you can explain certain things, like arrests. School diplomas, and transcripts if you went to college. They want to see the originals, not copies.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Anyone know if the military guys will be able to use their G.I bill in the academy?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Anyone know if the military guys will be able to use their G.I bill in the academy?
    I was wondering the same. Do you have Montgomery or post 9/11?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Montgomery. That would be great if we could. Especially since i dont have an idea what the actual take home pay is for a probie. I know its gonna take at least 3 years to take home what im making right now. My buddy was in PD academy and was taking home over $1,000 more than everybody else due to the G.I Bill. I wanna do that too lol.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Yes. The VA site has contact info for FDNY's "VA Rep," but I think more info will be made available if/when you get closer to starting the academy. Pay out is for 1.5 years "OJT," but the percentage tapers off each 6 months compensating for your pay going up. Additionally there's a monthly $82 stipend. Translation = extra 3k a month while your a probie (at first).
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 105
    List#: 1XX
    Intake Interview: Completed
    Medical: Completed
    Psych: Completed

But i havent even heard the G.I Bill mentioned anywhere on this forum so im guessing FD pribably doesnt allow you to utilize it. But part of me feels that this cannot be true as you are entitled to the G.I for academic purposes such as the academy and college of course.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Quote Originally Posted by 03BlueFalcon View Post
    Yes. The VA site has contact info for FDNY's "VA Rep," but I think more info will be made available if/when you get closer to starting the academy. Pay out is for 1.5 years "OJT," but the percentage tapers off each 6 months compensating for your pay going up. Additionally there's a monthly $82 stipend. Translation = extra 3k a month while your a probie (at first).
    THERE WE GO!!! Thanks. Guess it was 3k. That sounds better. Im on it. Back to my web now.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Yes, just walk in and ask for the earnings. Bring the money order , $25. You are gonna need id to get the printout, maybe your permit will work, but bring passport, and ss card if you have them. I think on the intake application, there is a blank page where you can explain certain things, like arrests. School diplomas, and transcripts if you went to college. They want to see the originals, not copies.
    Okay thanks a lot bro, I'll try to get as many originals as I can

Forum Member

I know for EMS I needed the detailed earning statement and I just walked in with ID to get one. Didnt need a money order just paid with a CC. This was at the social security office in garden city. It was a little out of the way but ALOT less busy than other ones in BK and Queens.

As far as arrests and such I don't know but they told me anything that I had to explain(which was one car accident) I would have to type out my explanation and have it notarized.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    So I just walk into the social security office (

154 Pierrepont St., Sixth Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11201
    ) and just ask for a detailed earning statement for the last 4 years? And I won't have my license by my intake(April.1st) but I'll have my permit(this week) and then I'll try to expedite everything and try to have my license by June, this I'll be all good? And would it be a good idea to write a letter explaining my arrests? I read something on here about someone doing that? So besides the initial application , detailed earning statement , IDs and proof of residency , is that all you need?
    Show up with what they ask you for. Nothing more, nothing less. I do recall there being a space to explain arrests but I can't say for sure because I didn't have any. Don't jump the gun bringing in your entire life's story; you only want to give them the absolute bare minimum required when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I don't know about the license; you'll have to see what they say. If you're lined up for the summer class I would think you need to have that license by time of intake, but I really don't know. Bring all your paperwork regarding the permit and license and do EVERYTHING you can to square it away as soon as possible, and have paperwork to back up your efforts.
    SnatchBK likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    But i havent even heard the G.I Bill mentioned anywhere on this forum so im guessing FD pribably doesnt allow you to utilize it. But part of me feels that this cannot be true as you are entitled to the G.I for academic purposes such as the academy and college of course.
    you can use ur chapter 33 benefits for the academy and u will get the Ny BAH which i believe is 2488 a month if it hasn't gone up recently
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

random question...I always see people posting something along the lines of "I took my medical today and there were X amount of people there, and X amount failed...". Is everything done out in the open when you go for the med?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    random question...I always see people posting something along the lines of "I took my medical today and there were X amount of people there, and X amount failed...". Is everything done out in the open when you go for the med?
    No. The stepmill is done with a few people at a time in the room and the guys usually let you know if you were too high for them to pass you. Everything else is one on one and the decision of the doctors is given to you in private after you've completed the medical. They'll either fail you, clear you or let you know what you have to do to be cleared (retake stepmill, laser eye correction, weight etc.). I dunno how guys claim to know the failure ratio but it's mostly rumor mill stuff. I guess you can obviously see if someone was grossly overweight or couldn't finish the stepmill but the doctors don't announce who passes and who fails.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 03-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Forum Member

Hey Zach check your PM's

Thread Information