Like Tree9888Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Ya, our favorite judge said he got wind of people on the internet saying they'd lie about their race to throw off the #s and he said we'd be disqualified if we didnt answer truthfully.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought so. Seems like a hefty punishment especially for something they were simply using for statistical data.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Any word on a lot of guys failing and them needing more guys to get the full class?
    That's the word. dropping like flies on that stair master of death.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post

It is scary to think they are so close to being hired and they cannot walk on the stairs for 8 straight minutes with 50lbs on.

I had to speak to my investigator yesterday and asked about medicals, all she'd tell me is at some point I will be scheduled, and there are people ahead of me who haven't been yet. I am < 350 on the list.
    dawk34 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    It is scary to think they are so close to being hired and they cannot walk on the stairs for 8 straight minutes with 50lbs on.

I had to speak to my investigator yesterday and asked about medicals, all she'd tell me is at some point I will be scheduled, and there are people ahead of me who haven't been yet. I am < 350 on the list.

On the Cpat or on the medical?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    Dudes can't do the 8 minutes either???? Like what do they scream "Uncle Uncle" or some ****? I can't understand that.

Forum Member

It's amazing to me how many people aren't prepared for the stairs. For all I know I can fail the stairs as well but I'm on there with a 55 LBS vest, just upped it to 60 LBS a few days ago 3-4 days a week for 15-20 minutes. It just seems like a lot of guys are going into this that haven't even bothered working out on the stairs, vest or no vest.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    It's funny and not funny. Does the bodega count? because between always working and not being rich, I haven't bought something from a sales associate 6 times in the last month. I have been to chipolte for lunch twice on my lunch break, that was me spoiling myself lol.
    Or the question of something to the affect of how many times or how many people you associate at work ... I checked the lowest one ... I work overnight picking up trash who am I'm socializing at that time ? My co worker only

Forum Member

Whats up guys... just a quick question for anyone that took the medical already... got through the CPAT last week in 8:02 so im happy about that... but im kind of confused about the medical... I was the only person in my CPAT group that hasnt got a date for mine yet, so I know it has to be on the way soon and I wanna get a head start

Is the medical packet like the CPB-D form? Am I gonna have to scramble for paperwork and stuff? Do I have to get additional medical clearance from another doctor even though I just took the CPAT and got clearance for that? Any info from someone who already went through it would be greatly appreciated...

- Good Luck to everybody !!!

EDIT:

Congrats to that first graduating class too! Much respect!
    Last edited by WTRBG; 05-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Score: 105
    List: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTRBG View Post
    Whats up guys... just a quick question for anyone that took the medical already... got through the CPAT last week in 8:02 so im happy about that... but im kind of confused about the medical... I was the only person in my CPAT group that hasnt got a date for mine yet, so I know it has to be on the way soon and I wanna get a head start

Is the medical packet like the CPB-D form? Am I gonna have to scramble for paperwork and stuff? Do I have to get additional medical clearance from another doctor even though I just took the CPAT and got clearance for that? Any info from someone who already went through it would be greatly appreciated...

- Good Luck to everybody !!!
    I'll say this about my medical:
    I had just taken a tb test and had the results. I brought that with me and they were fine with that. I also had my hep b, and mmr shots record, and again, that was fine. The form you get will ask you to bring that with you if you have it
    I have had two broken bones in my life. One a long time ago, one more recent. I had a letter from the hospital stating they don't keep med records
    More than 6 years, so that covered the first break, and I had everything the military ever gave me for my more recent break.
    Any medical ailment or trauma you may have suffered in the past, I would start tracking that paperwork down, anything you can get. Save yourself a little time and bring copies they can keep aswell as the originals.
    WTRBG likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks man... I never had any breaks or medical issues so I'm good in that regard... Is that all they're looking for as far as paperwork ?

How'd you do on it btw? I heard its been giving pretty much everybody problems.
    Last edited by WTRBG; 05-21-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

If you have had any
    Broken bones, they are going to X-ray that area that day. It's better to have any records you can. Otherwise they are going to ask
    You to bring those back another day.
    Also, if your been working those stairs like you should have, and you fail the first time due to high hr, don't freak out. Finish the 5:12. They will have you come in within 30 days to take it again, and the deal is (more or less) that you need to stay on the stairs for 8 min., regardless of hr. if you
    Hang for the 8 minutes but look like your about to die
    When you get off, the doc may not pass you. Be sure that you can confidently pass 8 min, 50#, 60steps/min. Key word is confidently. I tried everything I could think of, plus a few suggestions I picked up from guys otj here, in a few months before had to lower my hr, and it did come down, but the day of it was 7 beats over. Boo hoo. Scheduled for the next day and passed, confidently, the 8 min. I wish Good luck To everyone facing the stairs during retest, but I wish more that you pick up that area of training and turn Your weakness into your strength. (make your own luck)
    Like the LT told us that day, some
    Day you will have to walk these steps with all your gear on AND THEN go fight a fire.

Forum Member

As far as guys dropping like flies on the stairs, that's music to my ears as I'm sitting in the high 7,000's! Just gotta be patient and keep prepping. On another note. Went to my brother's house last Wed night to ride for a few hours and one of the guys on his engine is a mentor to a ph guy. Said the guy has zero interest in the job and is just gonna take the $. Guy's 39 years old. It was also nice to hear every guy in the house thinks this whole thing is bs and don't support any of it... Guy's going threw the process right now, thanks for all the info and keeping the rest of us up to date with everything. Much appreciated.
    vekdoggs75 and BrooklynBorn like this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 97
    List: 79xx

Forum Member

Thanks man... I never had any breaks or medical issues so I'm good in that regard... Is that all they're looking for as far as paperwork ?

How'd you do on it btw? I heard its been giving pretty much everybody problems.
    The only thing I needed to redo was the stairs and came in the next day and did the 8. When I retested, everyone passed (4 of us)
    When I went in initially, 2 out of 14 passed the stairs. Most were from
    Not being able stay on the 5:12. That was the day I went, anyway.

Forum Member

gotcha, headed to the gym right now actually lol... really appreciate the help man... good luck with the rest of the process !

Forum Member

Yea, sorry I'd answer all your question:
    As far as paper work:
    If a tb test in the last 6mon, bring the results
    Bring a copy of your hep b and mumps, measles, rubella shots.
    Any medical or traumatic injury, bring copies of all of that. That should be about if as far as paperwork
    You'll need the day of. This will all be spelled out in the letter you will hopefully get soon.

Forum Member

gotcha, headed to the gym right now actually lol... really appreciate the help man... good luck with the rest of the process !
    Thanks man, appreciate it. You too.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It's amazing to me how many people aren't prepared for the stairs. For all I know I can fail the stairs as well but I'm on there with a 55 LBS vest, just upped it to 60 LBS a few days ago 3-4 days a week for 15-20 minutes. It just seems like a lot of guys are going into this that haven't even bothered working out on the stairs, vest or no vest.
    Dude I'm happy this is happening. I pray that the people who want it get it period end of story. I'm also glad to see that your doing 60 lbs for 15-20 mins man that's impressive . But have you ever checked your heart rate with just 50 lbs on?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Hey guys does anybody here work for a big company? Like fortune 500? My supervisor got the employment verification form today and told me that he couldn't fill it out because it has to go through a system they use to verify employment and he is not allowed to verify it himself. Has anyone else had any issues with this?

Forum Member

I had the same problem. Mine got sent to the HR department , who would only verify that yes I was an employee

Forum Member

Thanks man. Did DCAS send it directly to HR or did your supervisor send it in for you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stang0480 View Post
    As far as guys dropping like flies on the stairs, that's music to my ears as I'm sitting in the high 7,000's! Just gotta be patient and keep prepping. On another note. Went to my brother's house last Wed night to ride for a few hours and one of the guys on his engine is a mentor to a ph guy. Said the guy has zero interest in the job and is just gonna take the $. Guy's 39 years old. It was also nice to hear every guy in the house thinks this whole thing is bs and don't support any of it... Guy's going threw the process right now, thanks for all the info and keeping the rest of us up to date with everything. Much appreciated.
    Lets think about this. This so called PH has zero interest in the job and is just going to take the money, etc.

So, this PH has physically prepared himself to pass the medical and the CPAT, but he doesn't have any interest in the job. This PH has a mentor, but he is not interested in the job. This PH is actually going through the whole hiring process, but he is not interested in the job and he is only going to take the money. Is anyone reading between the lines. LOL Imagine a PH or any candidate telling a mentor that he has no interest in the job and that he is only going to take the money, etc. LOL REALLY!!!!!

Also, you guys are aware that the PH's are not the only candidates going through the hiring process. It is possible that some of the OC guys are the ones failing the physical, medical, etc. Don't mean to bust you guys bubbles, but stop it about the PH's failing, etc. LOL
    Last edited by almostthere; 05-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Lets think about this. This so called PH has zero interest in the job and is just going to take the money, etc.

So, this PH has physically prepared himself to pass the medical and the CPAT, but he doesn't have any interest in the job. This PH has a mentor, but he is not interested in the job. This PH is actually going through the whole hiring process, but he is not interested in the job and he is only going to take the money. Is anyone reading between the lines. LOL Imagine a PH or any candidate telling a mentor that he has no interest in the job and that he is only going to take the money, etc. LOL REALLY!!!!!

Also, you guys are aware that the PH's are not the only candidates going through the hiring process. It is possible that some of the OC guys are the ones failing the physical, medical, etc. Don't mean to bust you guys bubbles, but stop it about the PH's failing, etc. LOL
    I forgot its totally impossible for a 39 year old to fail.....the same guy who obviously didn't make it the first time. In all seriousness I don't give a **** who's failing, as it actually helps me. Still though, don't be surprised when alot of phs take the money and run.

Forum Member

Almostthere, can you clear it up once and for all. Can priority hires turn down the job offer and just accept the cash (without having to enter the academy) or do you have to complete the academy in order to receive the money. I know I asked you this before but your answer wasn't that clear and other people came in with opposing answers.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Almostthere, can you clear it up once and for all. Can priority hires turn down the job offer and just accept the cash (without having to enter the academy) or do you have to complete the academy in order to receive the money. I know I asked you this before but your answer wasn't that clear and other people came in with opposing answers.
    If we want to only take the cash, we can. Going into the academy is not a pre-requisite to be offered the money.

Forum Member

All of you guys going through the medical exam....any of you have a hearing loss having any problems passing that portion? Can someone please give me some info on this hearing test. Who administers it, how long it takes, etc. Of all parts of this whole hiring process that's the only part I'm worried about.

Thread Information